Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 1:11:20 PM EDT
After reading about all of the abuses of the Red Cross debit cards (strippers, Loius Vitton purses, jewelry, etc.); looter video; reports of rape, sniping, gang activity; whining N.O. politicians; and nearly everyone affected by the hurricane demanding a handout, I haven't given a dime. Does this make me a bad person?

I like what Glenn Beck said recently, "I don't want to support victims; I want to support survivors." Or something like that.

America is the land of opportunity. All I see in New Orleans are opportunists.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:12:08 PM EDT
+1 Million
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:12:23 PM EDT
Don't worry, as long as you're paying taxes, you're helping the victims out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:24:39 PM EDT
Fuck the Red Cross. I worked with a man whose brother was in the Army in Vietnam and the cigarette manufacturers donated tobacco to soldiers to be distributed by the Red Cross, only the Red Cross didn't give it away; they charged them for the smokes. Donate to somebody else if at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:30:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

That's the way i see it.
I have given a little, but not much. I have donated at the cash registers of a few stores and the wife has taken some clothes and canned goods to a collection center, but that's about it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:33:35 PM EDT
I haven't given anything and I don't feel bad about it either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:34:00 PM EDT
Doesn't make you a bad person at all. Just remember that New Orleans isn't the only place that was hit by the hurricane, and really.. I don't consider it to have been hit. What happened to them was because of their own stupidity.

Remember the people of the Mississippi Gulf Coast who have actually lost everything.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:37:13 PM EDT
We're all going to "donate" for that mess.

Don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:40:40 PM EDT

Yup. My "contribution" is being taken from me at gunpoint (tax withholding).
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:40:47 PM EDT
The only agency I donated to was a pet rescue group. I didn't see any dogs looting upscale pet stores or breaking into the vets to steal doggie downers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:40:47 PM EDT
Umm... I regret giving to the Red Cross... so, be happy.

(I hear the Salvation Army rocks though)

- BG
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:41:46 PM EDT

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:42:20 PM EDT
Mr. Beck's opinion is the most intelligent thing I've heard all week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:43:10 PM EDT

I haven't given a dime to Katrina "victims"

Oh yes you have. You will be taxed heavily for the votes GWB is buying right now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:00:55 PM EDT
There was a big fire while back down here, and the Red Cross showed up. They made coffee, and when the firemen went to get some, the Red Cross were charging I think 1.50 a cup. The firemen were wearing clothes that had no pockets because they were fighting a fire, and were not able to have any.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:52 PM EDT
No donations here either
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:57 PM EDT

The firemen were wearing clothes that had no pockets because they were fighting a fire, and were not able to have any.

Wrong. Firefighters clothes have pockets, but whats more, you put the gear on over what you are already wearing so most everyone will still have a wallet, keys, flashlight, etc. It still sucks about the RC not giving free coffe to the firefighters tho.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:08:33 PM EDT

I haven't given a dime to Katrina "victims"; am I a bad person?

I assume that you work for a living, right?

Rest assured you have given plenty-and you are about to give a whole crapload more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:08:42 PM EDT
I haven't either. I stopped caring a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:14:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tisfortexas:
Fuck the Red Cross. I worked with a man whose brother was in the Army in Vietnam and the cigarette manufacturers donated tobacco to soldiers to be distributed by the Red Cross, only the Red Cross didn't give it away; they charged them for the smokes. Donate to somebody else if at all.

My grandfather said the Red Cross did the same thing when he was in France during World War I. Bastards haven't changed one bit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:22:38 PM EDT
There is greed and fraud everywhere. This sounds like a good excuse to never donate to any charitable cause. No, I don't trust the American Red Cross either, BUT I STILL FOUND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS I FELT COMFORTABLE WITH TO DONATE MONEY, FOOD, AND CLOTHES to.

Surelly, dropping off food and/or clothes to any organized group or local Church dedicated to the cause should have eased some of your concerns, if you weren't comfortable giving money.

I'm glad I wasn't one of the unfortunate low income residents who lost my house, and had to listen to folk say that I was just some lazy and greedy dumb ass trying to get something for nothing. Yes, there are bad people everywhere, does that mean you turn your back on everyone?

I love the kinds of posts here that read "+1....I'm just too smart. I'm not helping anybody either!"

I expect to be called naive, a dumbass, or some other choice name by those of you who are basically greedy or cheap, or both, and simply don't wish to face the truth about your small selfish life. Say what you will, as I will not let it ruin my day.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:25:30 PM EDT
If you haven't given a dime...

WHY aren't you paying your taxes???
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:28:45 PM EDT
Don't be the least concerned. After 9/11, every state "contributed" to the insurance company payoff, to keep insurance companys from going broke, and not honoring their committments. Remember almost every state had budgetary shortfalls the next year? Do you really believe that all those states were careless with their money? Remember our homeowners insurance policy premiums taking a big jump the following year? And the same thing last year? You're paying for this crap, whether or not you realize it. They'll just take it out of your pay, or charge you more to "own" your home. Now, where's my damn tin-foil hat smilie when I need it?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:32:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VaniB:
There is greed and fraud everywhere. This sounds like a good excuse to never donate to any charitable cause. No, I don't trust the American Red Cross either, BUT I STILL FOUND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS I FELT COMFORTABLE WITH TO DONATE MONEY, FOOD, AND CLOTHES to.

Surelly, dropping off food and/or clothes to any organized group or local Church dedicated to the cause should have eased some of your concerns, if you weren't comfortable giving money.

I'm glad I wasn't one of the unfortunate low income residents who lost my house, and had to listen to folk say that I was just some lazy and greedy dumb ass trying to get something for nothing. Yes, there are bad people everywhere, does that mean you turn your back on everyone?

I love the kinds of posts here that read "+1....I'm just too smart. I'm not helping anybody either!"

I expect to be called naive, a dumbass, or some other choice name by those of you who are basically greedy or cheap, or both, and simply don't wish to face the truth about your small selfish life. Say what you will, as I will not let it ruin my day.

Thank you for donating. Many people in MS and LA are grateful for people like you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:34:54 PM EDT
What's with all the Red Cross haters?????

Most of these stories set off the BS meter......

www.snopes.com/medical/emergent/redcross.asp

and it turns out most of them are BS.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:36:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Guth:

My grandfather said the Red Cross did the same thing when he was in France during World War I. Bastards haven't changed one bit.

I'm the 3rd Generation Serviceman that doesn't respect the Red Cross.

They pulled thew cigarette tricp in my WW1 Grandfather,

They tried to charge my dad for something they got for free in WW2

and they beat up a guy in my outfit while I served. They loaned him an airline ticket when his father died, and instead of asking for repayment over 3 months like they were supposed to, they ltook it all at once and made life hell on a PFC with a wife and 2 kids.

Screw the Red Cross
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:39:45 PM EDT
As previously said ,you'll be "donating" to them
threw your taxes anyway.

Add on to that the fact that your increased insurance
premiums will be thrown on the stack.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:40:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:

Someone on here had it happen to them years ago. He said something to the extent... After a disaster the Red Cross drove up in NEW trucks and charged for Food/Water etc. The Salvation Army drove up in beatup used Trucks and gave away everything they had for free.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:41:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Midnight-Sniper:
After reading about all of the abuses of the Red Cross debit cards (strippers, Loius Vitton purses, jewelry, etc.); looter video; reports of rape, sniping, gang activity; whining N.O. politicians; and nearly everyone affected by the hurricane demanding a handout, I haven't given a dime. Does this make me a bad person?

I like what Glenn Beck said recently, "I don't want to support victims; I want to support survivors." Or something like that.

America is the land of opportunity. All I see in New Orleans are opportunists.

NO !!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:47:25 PM EDT
Now we're onto the RedCross ?

Years ago my father was injured and in a hospital
overseas.
His clothing and everything he had disappeared .

The RedCross "SOLD" him some old donated
clothing at a rediculous price.

A similar experience happened to my uncle.

Both were serviceman far away from home.

Yes ,the military would supply them a uniform,
but the have to GET to locations where they
are given out.

The RedCross earned a bad reputation among serviceman
for many years.
Many cases of them taking advantage of people in desperate
situations have been reported.Especially serviceman.

They are doing a lot of good out there ,no doubt.

Perhaps they have policed their own ranks since then,but
I for one don't trust them.

Zebras don't usually change their stripes ,they just hide them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:50:42 PM EDT

I'm going out on a limb here

Cigarettes are not life saving supplies ( I do smoke btw)
Maybe the money recieved from the charging of free cigarettes went to buying more real life saving supplies.

Just a thought

Taffy

Live Aid makes a lot of money.
Maybe a "Jazz aid" could help out the recovery of NO
I doubt "Voodoo aid " would help though
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:00:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 7:

Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:

Someone on here had it happen to them years ago. He said something to the extent... After a disaster the Red Cross drove up in NEW trucks and charged for Food/Water etc. The Salvation Army drove up in beatup used Trucks and gave away everything they had for free.

Personally, I don't can't believe that.

I've worked with the Red Cross before ( and recently), and have never seen them charge for anything.

We gave away new clothes, cots, sheets/bedding, food, water and toiletries.

never charged for anything.

The Red Cross shows up when an apartment building burns down and families are left homeless. The RC gives them vouchers for free motel rooms.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:01:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taffy223:

Maybe the money recieved from the charging of free cigarettes went to buying more real life saving supplies.

Just a thought

Taffy

If I build and sell pocket pussies and I want American servicemen in Iraq to have them I don't expect the Red Cross to sell them and then hand out Jergens lotion and paper towels to the front lines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:07:33 PM EDT
In the aftermath of hurricane Ivan, the Red Cross teamed up with a local church in our area.

The Red Cross did not charge a dime for their services and they were appreciated by all who were in need and required their help.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:58:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 3:59:41 PM EDT by gus]
My Red Cross giving amounts to donating blood twice annually. I do give goods to the Salvation Army, and to Goodwill. I give to the local county sheriff's troubled youth program (and it's very well run). I give to several veteran's programs. I did NOT give any special donation for the hurricane for the reasons listed in the first post. As mentioned, those "donations" will be withheld from my pay. I have NO sympathy for those that could have left and didn't, and I really resent being asked forced to help rebuild a city that we KNOW will flood again. I bought land on high ground. I suggest they do the same.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:00:59 PM EDT
Well, so far I've given about 4k to the victims, well, that's what my weekly deductions in my last pay check says. .gov had one chance to effectively use my monies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:01:46 PM EDT
No.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT
IIRC, Mississippi took the brunt of the storm.

But that's okay, let the ninth ward of New Orleans be the basis for your decisions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:04:41 PM EDT
The Red Cross sucks, dont't give any money to them. I saw a segment on FOX news that said, amongst all the major donation collectors (Salvation Army, United Way, etc.), the Red Cross keeps the largest percentage. They're also too political for my taste. For example, at the MN State Fair a week or so ago (after Katrina), the Red Cross booth was mainly dedicated to having people sign petitions to ask President Bush to support stem cell research, apparently this is more important to them than the hurricane down south.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:06:15 PM EDT

I haven't given a dime to Katrina "victims"; am I a bad person?

Nope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:08:21 PM EDT
I'd donate to the Salvation Army, if i knew where December's rent would be coming from...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:09:52 PM EDT

Just a thought

Taffy

If I build and sell pocket pussies and I want American servicemen in Iraq to have them I don't expect the Red Cross to sell them and then hand out Jergens lotion and paper towels to the front lines.

To be fair...you sound like an intelligent guy
I'm sure you'd not waste money and time sending plastic pussies to the front lines. I'd like to think that you'd think a little ahead. Usefull stuff....kit/food/mags/clp/optics/etc etc

If your "patented" pocket pussies were sold for 5 bucks apiece and that 5 bucks then saved 2 lives elsewhere that would be a worthwhile act....yes?

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:14:49 PM EDT
What goes around comes around. If you dont help them, dont expect anything back. Thats the way I see it. I've gave some clothes and change at stores but nothing major. I wouldnt expect anything from them If it had happened to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:17:47 PM EDT
We gave to www.noahswish.org/. The human animals can take care of themselves.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:20:50 PM EDT

Just a thought

Taffy

You are out on a long limb, You spend 12 months humping the "D" Zone and you will put a little different value on smokes
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:27:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:
IIRC, Mississippi took the brunt of the storm.

But that's okay, let the ninth ward of New Orleans be the basis for your decisions.

You're absolutely correct about that. I think people are just paying attention to the national news media though and all they see is New Orleans since that is all CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc etc.. are focused on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:41:33 PM EDT
The Red Cross was in my hometown for a brief period of time, and they gave out 2000 "vouchers" for something, and then turned everyone else away saying they had given all they were going to give.

Exactly what the hell is up with that?

I can gurantee you EVERYONE of the "refugees" (read: people who did not follow the evacuation orders from New Orleans) have gotten a ton of "aid".
Top Top