Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:31:26 PM EDT
and I LOVE it.

Tonight was the episode with the Ferrari Enzo, and they also did a segment where they bought 3 cars each for under 100 pounds(about $200) and they drove from London to Manchester and back and put the cars through their paces.  Including crashing them at the end at 30 mph.

Wednesdays at 9 Central on Discovery.  Check it out.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
great show been on in europe for quite awhile (also BBC america )
very well done show much better than any of the old TNN sunday shows
I still watched  Motor trend TV ,Trucks ,Hotrod TV crank and chrome etc
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
great show been on in europe for quite awhile (also BBC america )
very well done show much better than any of the old TNN sunday shows
I still watched  Motor trend TV ,Trucks ,Hotrod TV crank and chrome etc

I like trucks, and like Horsepower TV as well.  But I think in a weird kind of way, Top Gear blows them away.  They do some wacky stuff, and you gotta love the track driver (The Stig) that walks around with a helmet like Kenny on Southpark.  

They had a little audience in the parts between segments.

I'd like to be in the audience.  I wonder how that works out?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a great show!  Did ya see the one where they tried to see how much damage an old Toyota pickup could take and still run?  Unbelievable, flood, fire, impacts.  Nothing stopped it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its a great show!  Did ya see the one where they tried to see how much damage an old Toyota pickup could take and still run?  Unbelievable, flood, fire, impacts.  Nothing stopped it.

Damn!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple of weeks ago they did a show where they had to buy 3 porsches for 3K each, then drive them across the country.
Great show, the commentary makes it so much better, like Car and Driver magazine, not car and driver tv.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn!

Not to mention putting it on top of a 20 story building and then demolishing the building.

The video clip of this is about 10 minutes long, available here: (Bottom center)
www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/

Right. Now, those of you looking to watch Top Gear on Discovery Channel, I have a word of advice. (This is generally borne out by the Top Gear nuts on places like finalgear.com)

Don't watch it!

AVOID!

Really. Keep away!

TG on Discovery is 'dumbed down' for what Disc. thinks the American Audience wants to watch. They don't show the entire clip/review/sequence of some things. They show clips way out of sequence to what they should be. They omit parts.

The ONLY acceptable solution is to watch the real BBC version. This is available for download on some sites, such as mininova

I cannot stress enough how important it is to watch the original. Trust me.

NTM

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]
SPEED VISION used to have stuff like this on all the time.  Bike races, reviews, rally cars, etc...

now it's NASCAR TV full of redneck reruns and the "drama" side of it where a bunch of guys talk about who hates who and it's turned into a giant soap opera
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]

great show. i have most the episodes on DVD.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes, it was insane.

Good vid if you can find it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Something about looney Brittish people driving expensive cars is strangely compelling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Tiff rocks!!!!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#12]
bearshare.com has all of them aval. for download..and it is beyond worth it ,unless you dont like fast cars and dry brittish humor...

right!, off we go then...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it was insane.

Good vid if you can find it.

A link to the video was posted in the SF forum a while back.
Subject was BOVs (Bug Out Vehicles) and the Toyota HiLux.  Look for it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I really don't like their style.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I really don't like their style.......

Why not?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

[Sigh]

I also posted a link to it a couple of posts earlier on this thread.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[Sigh]

I also posted a link to it a couple of posts earlier on this thread.

NTM

Sorry...posted before I got this far down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#18]
The segment where the tall, goofy guy drove the Ferrari 612 from London to some ski area in Switzerland in a race with the two other guys who took train/plane/bus/taxi was really neat. I'm certain that parts of it were staged, but it was entertaining to watch nonetheless. They never did say what the annoying buzz in the Ferrari was, though. Probably a buzzer that goes off when it's time to make another payment.

I've seen the BBC "home market" version as well, and it is markedly different. However, the US version is passable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#20]
thats good to see that Discovery picked it up.  It is one of the best shows ever created IMHO. I have the lst 3 seasons archived.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The segment where the tall, goofy guy drove the Ferrari 612 from London to some ski area in Switzerland in a race with the two other guys who took train/plane/bus/taxi was really neat. I'm certain that parts of it were staged, but it was entertaining to watch nonetheless. They never did say what the annoying buzz in the Ferrari was, though. Probably a buzzer that goes off when it's time to make another payment.

I've seen the BBC "home market" version as well, and it is markedly different. However, the US version is passable.

The annoying buzz was identified (evidently in the BBC version, but cut from the Disc. version), as being from the windshield wiper. Clarkson ends up duct-taping the wiper down, which eliminated the buzz. Unfortunately, it also eliminated his ability to wipe the windshield when it started raining a little later.

They also assured us on the show after the segment that it was not staged, and that they really did pass each other in the resort.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi,
I also like the show very much. Has anyone seen the race between The RangeRoverSport and a Challanger  2 MainBattleTank ?

Awesome !
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]
They showed him taping down the windshield wiper to silence the Buzz just before the rain started
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top