Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:39:22 PM EDT
I  had 8 trees cut down last year,and this year I had the stumps grounded.
I have been shoveling wood chips all day in the back of my truck and dumping them
at the end of my yard for fill. I want to level my yard and also plant about 100 privacy
trees. Now what I am thinking is instead of hiring a landscape company to do all the work
since most of the fee is labor I am looking at one of these. Does anyone have any experience with this brand?I  called them today and they said $299 a month and it could be here in 7 days.
And if you are wondering how much land I have a little under three acres.

www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_826793_826793
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
will you use it much after this project?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would plow my drive way with it in the winter, I  think there's always a use for it if you have it.
Every year I think I do something in the yard and have always thought but not really seriously
I wish I had a tractor with a bucket.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would plow my drive way with it in the winter, I  think there's always a use for it if you have it.
Every year I think I do something in the yard and have always thought but not really seriously

seems like a really cool and useful thing to have, but it is kinda pricey.

ETA:  i could really use one of those to plow all of that damn snow down here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

seems like a really cool and useful thing to have, but it is kinda pricey.

ETA:  i could really use one of those to plow all of that damn snow down here.

Belive it or not it's about half the price of a deer or kubota

Trying to get some feedback from some guys here that have small farms, and if they
ever have seen one of these or used one. The company said they have been selling them for about
6years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
from being raised with a farm background, you may find 20hp a bit on the light side even for just home projects. Mowing with a 16 or 20hp lawn tractor is one thing, bladeing driveways, landscaping, digging, brushhogging is another

but JMHO

+1 20 horse isn't going to pull much snow, I scrape manure with a 28 horse tractor and it has trouble occasionally. Have you considered a Gator or something like it. You wouldn't have a front loader but over th years I have found the bed to be much more useful than a loader.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont buy one.
Go look for a used Deer or Cat skidsteer instead.
The front dump on those farm tractors are for moving cowshit and maybe snow off a paved driveway -anything else and your asking for breakage, trust me.
I have run heavy equipment my whole life -you would be simply amazed at all the uses of a small skidsteer -not to mention how tough they are. You could rent an attachment for a day to auger the holes for your trees. You can plow snow with them -you can use them as a small dozer, they are super fast at getting work done.
They hold there value much better than any farm tractor ever will.
If you dont belive or doubt what im telling you then go rent one for a day and watch how much you can get done with it, thats befor you even get the hang of it after that you can fly with them doing work.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
from being raised with a farm background, you may find 20hp a bit on the light side even for just home projects. Mowing with a 16 or 20hp lawn tractor is one thing, bladeing driveways, landscaping, digging, brushhogging is another

but JMHO

+1 20 horse isn't going to pull much snow, I scrape manure with a 28 horse tractor and it has trouble occasionally. Have you considered a Gator or something like it. You wouldn't have a front loader but over th years I have found the bed to be much more useful than a loader.

I am going to be bringing in a lot of fill and then loam to level of a large part of my yard.
I had a new septic and leach field put in last year and also had 8 large trees removed
so my lawn is all torn up. Also want to take out all the hedges I have and put in privacy trees.
So it's a lot of work and a land scape company gave me a quote of what this tractor cost.
They make a bigger one a 25 horse also ,that one is around $10,000 with loader and box blade.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dont buy one.
Go look for a used Deer or Cat skidsteer instead.
The front dump on those farm tractors are for moving cowshit and maybe snow off a paved driveway -anything else and your asking for breakage, trust me.
I have run heavy equipment my whole life -you would be simply amazed at all the uses of a small skidsteer -not to mention how tough they are. You could rent an attachment for a day to auger the holes for your trees. You can plow snow with them -you can use them as a small dozer, they are super fast at getting work done.
They hold there value much better than any farm tractor ever will.
If you dont belive or doubt what im telling you then go rent one for a day and watch how much you can get done with it, thats befor you even get the hang of it after that you can fly with them doing work.

There just so damn expensive, I looked at  some used ones with low hours and they were $16,000
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]

i do tree and stump removal for a living full time... me and my brother each own a tree removal business. he owns a Kubota tractor similar in size...

ive seen those Kubotas go through hell and back and come back for more- just my opinion, before you find yourself sold on that tractor, at least check out the Kubotas.  and my brother is FAR from being "Mr Maintenance"  so if it can handle his abuse...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top