Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 9:56:48 PM EDT
I was talking to the Staff Sergeant today and he told me that I could choose where I wanted to go. My MOS is going to be 0300 he told me I could go to after I get out of boot camp and MOS school Paris Island or Pendeltion or over seas.

I just want to know if you guys out there had a chose or not or if he is blowing smoke up my a$$.

Edited to say
He told me that I'd get to pick what place I wanted to be stationed at after MOS training.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have something they want, they can sweeten the deal with a choice of first duty station. What this usually means, and did in my case, is that you get a choice of East Coast, West Coast or Overseas.

Don't go into this thinking that you're guaranteed a specific base, just an area. I picked Overseas when I enlisted, and sure enough after my schools were over, I was on a plane to Okinawa.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you have something they want, they can sweeten the deal with a choice of first duty station. What this usually means, and did in my case, is that you get a choice of East Coast, West Coast or Overseas.

Don't go into this thinking that you're guaranteed a specific base, just an area. I picked Overseas when I enlisted, and sure enough after my schools were over, I was on a plane to Okinawa.

Good luck
View Quote

Thanks for the info on that...
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
JarHead22 is right. The only way to get a choice on PCS orders(this will be after your first station as Permanent Personel)is to be tight with your monitor, and as an 03-Hump-ALot, that shit ain't happening until you have at least make Gunny.

JarHead22 and I must have been thinking that Overseas meant exotic locations such as Paris, Rome, and Barcelona.

Imagine our dismay when we found out Okinawa is NO FUCKING WHERE NEAR those places.  But, god how I miss those Thursday 1800 Field Day Formations!!!!!  

Tayous1....sign up bro, you WILL see the world.  And maybe a few other places, too.  Remember this....there are 3 kinds of Marines:
1)Marines that have been overseas
2)Marines that are overseas
3)Marines that are GOING overseas

My advice, and I betcha all my bretheren will agree....Go Overseas first, you'll be a regular Salty Dog when you get back CONUS.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns or just post again.  I got out in 99, but things might have changed some.

Jarhead94
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
JarHead22 is right. The only way to get a choice on PCS orders(this will be after your first station as Permanent Personel)is to be tight with your monitor, and as an 03-Hump-ALot, that shit ain't happening until you have at least make Gunny.

JarHead22 and I must have been thinking that Overseas meant exotic locations such as Paris, Rome, and Barcelona.

Imagine our dismay when we found out Okinawa is NO FUCKING WHERE NEAR those places.  But, god how I miss those Thursday 1800 Field Day Formations!!!!!  

Tayous1....sign up bro, you WILL see the world.  And maybe a few other places, too.  Remember this....there are 3 kinds of Marines:
1)Marines that have been overseas
2)Marines that are overseas
3)Marines that are GOING overseas

My advice, and I betcha all my bretheren will agree....Go Overseas first, you'll be a regular Salty Dog when you get back CONUS.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or concerns or just post again.  I got out in 99, but things might have changed some.

Jarhead94
[email protected]
View Quote

Jarhead94 I'm not to willing to go over seas(Unless it's combat) right now. I Have a wife and 21 month old son she wants to stay in the U.S. because she is a RN(Register nurse) and because she does not want to leave the U.S.

Thanks for the info right now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I received my choice of duty stations after finishing top in my MOS schooling.  It wasn't guaranteed by a long way.  The top two or three got their choice of "open billets".  The rest requested where they'd like to go and what branch they'd like to serve (Wing vs Grunts).
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jarhead94 I'm not to willing to go over seas(Unless it's combat) right now. I Have a wife and 21 month old son she wants to stay in the U.S. because she is a RN(Register nurse) and because she does not want to leave the U.S.

View Quote

Don't join the Corps or any of the services active components than.  If you go into the Corps you will more than likely end up in a "Victor" unit.  You will be on a deployement schedule, somelike 6-7 months deployed (either on float or UDP to Oki) and 18 month at home station.  During that 18 month you will be gone about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
the only real choice you get is to join the corps, your ASVAB scores determin for you a limited choice of MOS. after training, you will be sent where the corps needs your skills the most. that is the way in all armed services. I myself am an ex-sqiud. I worked with the corps every day for the last nine years of my career, (no, I was not a pecker checker) and without a doubt I can say that the USMC is the single finest fighting force in the world. dumb as hell but tough (just kidding, have to keep the Nav vs Corps rivalry going or my squid buddys will diss-own me) good luck and enjoy the world.
[:)>]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't join the Corps or any of the services active components than.  If you go into the Corps you will more than likely end up in a "Victor" unit.  You will be on a deployement schedule, somelike 6-7 months deployed (either on float or UDP to Oki) and 18 month at home station.  During that 18 month you will be gone about 1/3 to 1/2 the time.
View Quote

I agree with STLRN. Make sure you know what you are doing. If you go 0300, say goodbye to family life. The Corps doesn't care how much you see them or how much you don't, unfortuantely.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Join the Air Farce- at least they seem to take care of their people a little better.  I made the mistake of going Infantry cause I thought it/I would be bad ass.  It really sucks humping a 75 lb back back around and freezing your ass of in some fox hole.  I dont think the AF even knows what a fox hole is...Avoid being a NBC specailist-the only difference between that and Infantry is you know what the NBC weapons are going to do to when they hit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I agree with STLRN. Make sure you know what you are doing. If you go 0300, say goodbye to family life. The Corps doesn't care how much you see them or how much you don't, unfortuantely.
View Quote

Exactly, we don't need any more Marines whining, taking their kid here or there or can't deploy and going to see the Chaplain.  We have too many like that already. Gen Mundy was right you shouldn't be allowed to join if you are married and can't married until you are a NCO.  How did you get guaranteed 0300 any how? I thought you could only be guaranteed Combat Arms?  You could end up a as cannon cocker (Arty) or engineer.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]
What's goin on hard chargers, I would suggest you buy a book, study, and try the ASVAB again, I'm pretty sure they allow that, but may have to wait a period of x weeks or months.  I was in HAWK SAM system, and then an ISC (information systems coordination)guy in the Corps.

I spent lots of time in the field whilst in HAWK, but nothing compared to how often Grunts go to the field.  Being a grunt is very difficult on the family, try and leave that to the just out of highschool kids wihout families.

Many grunts get marrid while they're grunts, but then they know what they're getting into. I'm certainly not picking on grunts here, but this is a broad generilization you could end up with any unit with any MOS's.  

If you have a family, try and go to a more technical MOS.    

I wouldn't steer you away from the Corps by any means, you may hate it at times, but wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  
Unless of course if you're fat; I always had a hard time keeping below the weight and body fat limits (but then again I was 330 when I was an middle schol). I ran my 3 miles in around 24.5 minutes (sometimes even slower), they get on your ass when you break that 24.5-25 minute barrier, some units alot stricter. If you're chubby at all, get in shape first.  

And if you really want to be a Marine, you'll regret going into any other service, I know several folks in other services, particularly the Airforce, that really wanted to join the Corps, but couldn't round up the balls to go to Parris Island....they regret it now.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]
You don't want to go Overseas "unless its combat"????????  YOU HAVE A FAMILY, BRO!!!!!

Uh, I respect you for wanting to serve our country in the most dire circumstance, but I have to question your reasoning.  I had just turned 18 when I went in and wanted to give the ole' " 1 Back, 2 Back" to Sadam himself.  By the time I turned 21 I had seen enough shit like that to last a me life time, and I was never in what you would call combat like what is going on in Afghanistan right now.

Do whats best for your family.

JarHead94
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't believe anything your recruiter tells you and forget about home life as a Marine. I was in for 6 years. Thought I would get married after boot camp, but I did not get married til after I left the Corps.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The Marine Corps is what you make of it. Like everyone said there are no guarantees. I did not know what my exact MOS was until after MCT. all I knew was that I was going in as Aircraft maintenance. It was not until after my A school I found out what aircraft. In my A school I was ask where I would like to go East or West coast. I picked East and got East Coast. I was also the top Marine in my class, but we had both Navy and Marine in our class so that made me the #2 guy. Now my Marine Corps experience was a good one and I know a lot of guys that did nothing but bitch the whole time. Make sure you get what you want before you sign on the dotted line.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I went into the Information Systems MOS (Computers) and there were no guarantees on where you got to go.  One day near the end of MOS school, they posted all the open places that needed a 4066.  We got to select where we wanted to go by class rank.  I doubt you will have the same options as an 03.  If you have a family, you really need to rethink joining as an 03.  You will most likely hate life.  

I selected Okinawa as my first duty station.  I figured I would have to go over there anyway, and wanted to get it out of the way.  I was sooo glad that I decided to go overseas first, because it made my last 2 1/2 years a cakewalk!  I have a good friend who just got out lastyear, who signed up for a 5 year tour.  His recruiter lied to him, and told him he had to sign up for 5 years to go into information systems.  He spent all 5 years at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune!  5 years at the same unit, and never once went to the field after Boot Camp!  He got very lucky, and I'm sure it is a rare case.  

Whatever your choices are, just make sure it's what you truly want to do, and go after it 110%!

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#17]
OORAH Shorty
It is exactly what you make of it.You are always gonna have a few assholes, but we find this in the civilian world for those of us that get out.  
I don't know that I'd have enjoyed the corps so much if I didn't go to the field once in awhile though, that's what it's all about in my opinion, but then again my longest ops were around 45 days.  I don't think a unit gets as tightly knit as it needs to be unless you go to the field, and either fry in the desert or freeze your asses off together.

My last unit where I was a computer guy was a wing unit, and we went to the field for a grand total of 3 days, and the whole unit didn't even go.  Me and only one of my lance corporals went and setup a remote network so the Staff and O's could check their email and etrade accounts.  Just sat back in the tent city for 3 days.
The rest of my shop stayed in the rear, with the other half of the unit.

Point is, you will go where they want you to go, and when they want you there.  But in the end, it's all what you make of it. Keep your family in mind whatever you do, but don't settle for another service if you want to join the Corps.

I spent a year in Hawk school on an army base, the same base I work at now, the soldiers definately respect Marines, I still see this even after I've gotten out.  I also see all those unsat Army Dawgs, as we call them, lolygagin around like they're still in Highschool with their Monica Lewinski headgear, you don't want that do ya?  
Don't mean to flame all you Army Dawgs, just have to take an occasional stab at ya'll.

Take care guys.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I should of not said willing to go over seas. I just don't want to. But if I must I must.

Ok all the other jobs I could get where for doing mechanical work like

Ordnance, Motor transport, Equipment/vehicle repair, Construction/Utilities, Service management and Metal works.

Now all these jobs just seem so boring to me. I just site on my A$$ all day and I don't want to be doing that at all.  If I don't go in the military I can just stay where I'm at right now at a $7.25 job for the next year only getting to work 2 days a week. Then when my lease is up try for a PD down south.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
What about stinger gunner? LAAD unit?
Whwn I was in they each had their own hummer per team, and they humped and trained hard on infantry stuff, but they didn't go the field anywhere near as much as the real grunts. (Like only once a month and the major exercises, not every week or twice a week)
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll softball this as much as I can.

If you're REALLY thinking about going into any armed service, think hard and choose well, and thank you for your service.

HOWEVER, this is your second such "I might enlist in..." thread in a couple months.

You've posted that you're going to "buy a FAL vs an AR in the next few days" on every internet BB I frequent, and more than once at that. Something about a DSA on order from your local FFL, a $700+ item.

Then, days later, you post that you need a sub $300 SHTF pistol for your wife, can't afford a penny more and can't save the $$ cause you're soon off to boot camp.

In this thread, you claim to be making $464 a month, while RIGHT NOW in General Firearm Discussion, you're soliciting advice and cost of AR50s and comperable .50s.

I'm not knocking your income level, we've all started out and couldn't afford the stuff we wanted.

You seem to be always starting what should I do threads that involve purchases and actions you never intended to make.

Care to respond?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you considered the Marine Reserves?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll softball this as much as I can.

If you're REALLY thinking about going into any armed service, think hard and choose well, and thank you for your service.

HOWEVER, this is your second such "I might enlist in..." thread in a couple months.

You've posted that you're going to "buy a FAL vs an AR in the next few days" on every internet BB I frequent, and more than once at that. Something about a DSA on order from your local FFL, a $700+ item.

Then, days later, you post that you need a sub $300 SHTF pistol for your wife, can't afford a penny more and can't save the $$ cause you're soon off to boot camp.

In this thread, you claim to be making $464 a month, while RIGHT NOW in General Firearm Discussion, you're soliciting advice and cost of AR50s and comperable .50s.

I'm not knocking your income level, we've all started out and couldn't afford the stuff we wanted.

You seem to be always starting what should I do threads that involve purchases and actions you never intended to make.

Care to respond?
View Quote

I never said I was going to buy a 50. first off I just want a price for them. Can't a person go online any more and find out anything about firearms with out having to buy one? I was thinking of buying a FAL and a pistol but now I have to save that money for the wife do to that she is going to have to kick down her hours.

My wife makes a hell of a lot more money then I do. She is a RN and making from $17-$20 an hour and working because she want to about 40-50 hours a week.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Uhh, no. That won't do.

You have stated several times that you WERE PURCHASING firearms, had them on order, going to buy in the next few days, stuff like that.

I don't care if somebody asks how controllable a G3 is on full auto, that's an informational question and doesn't imply imminent purchase on the part of the questioner.  YOU, on the other hand, STATE you are going to buy something, then never do, popping up a week later, NOT in boot camp, by the way, and ask about some other alleged planned purchase.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=100805

"Looking at a few and don't know what to get"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=101085

"I'm looking at a few pistols"

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=99667

"I have my main battle rifle picked out right now and for where I live it suites me the best.

But what I'm looking for now is a rifle that is reliable does not cost a lot(about $200-$400) and that a small framed woman can use."

"I'm looking for a bolt action 308. but I also want one that is not going to cost that much. I saw they had some Mauser 308 at Rguns but I won't buy from them."

"Ok it's my falt I forgot to tell you all what this firearm is going to be used for. I know a lot of you voted in my last one but may have not known what I was going to use this pistol for so here I go.

This gun is going to be away from home carry gun is that my wife his the pistol she is use to shooting. It is also going to be my SHTF pistol a little back up for the FAL if I have to reload the mags or enter a place where a pistol would be better then a rifle. It also going to be a plinking gun for gun.

I only Have $475 at most to spend on the gun and that is going to take a lot away from my ammo and mag money to."

AND THAT'S JUST BACK TO LATE FEBRUARY.

I did a search of topics YOU posted and came up with TEN pages.

So, no, you weren't "just seeking information," you were stating that you were buying imminently and needed advice.

HAve you bought ANY of the things you have asked about?

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I should of not said willing to go over seas. I just don't want to. But if I must I must.

Now all these jobs just seem so boring to me. I just site on my A$$ all day and I don't want to be doing that at all.  If I don't go in the military I can just stay where I'm at right now at a $7.25 job for the next year only getting to work 2 days a week. Then when my lease is up try for a PD down south.
View Quote

So basically, you're only willing to be a Marine for two reasons.

1) Only if it's action oriented (Force Recon, Amphib, etc.)

2) Reason number 1 plus you get to stay stateside unless you absolutely have to go overseas (presumably because of war?)

All those other reasons don't do it for you.  And serving regular duty positions in faraway countries don't qualify as a "must do" reason.  Now I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm overseas and I see US servicemen (Navy, Marine, etc.), I feel pretty good about. It's comforting.  

Maybe you should join the Guard. That will allow you to keep your $7.25/hr job, minimize time away from home, and keep you close to your well paid spouse.  That's gotta be like having your cake and eating it. In afterthought, your dedication to serving seems less than inspiring.

P.S.  Not to knock the other services but when I see embassy Marines in their dress uniforms,  that outfit rocks.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#25]
you should probably stay civilian. Your family should come first, and infantry is definitely NOT where you should go. If you really want military experience join the guards or the reserves, do it in your spare time if you want. I've never been in the military but I'm sure being a grunt isn't all fun (in fact, I'm sure it sucks very much to make only 900 bucks a month). That breaks down to 5.625 an hour assuming a 40 hour workweek. No doubt you'd be working more than that in the military so it'll be even less, why would you take such a huge pay cut just to join? If I were you I'd find some way of getting a job that paid more. That would be a much better time investment than joining the military.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I really dont think active duty Corps is for you.  Reserves maybe.  As far as ordinance being boring, well, getting to play with all the cool toys is a pretty good gig.  I was ordinance for part of my stint and enjoyed it.  Nothing like having the Marine Corp teach you how to fix rifles.  I was talking to a GySgt. about going reserves in Indy as an armorer, but he never got back ahold of me.  Guess the Corp dont need as many as they did a few years ago.  Think long and hard before you act.  It should become your first commitment, followed closely by your family.  The Corp wont admit that, but as someone else posted, Gen. Mundy came close.  He wanted all non married Marines to make the entire Corp essentialy a fast unit.  Good luck in whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#27]
BTT as a courtesy, wouldn't want the others to think you are dodging my inquiry.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#28]
BTTT
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Better to join the Corps in some form. Like they have said you will wonder and possiblly (Marine Spelling) regret not doing it for the rest of your life. It all depends on you. Each service has some awesome people. Just that the Marines have more....had to. Better pride, better training, better leaders, better uniforms, did I mention pride? How many vehicles do you see with USMC stickers vs, other branches? There is a reason for that. You will be happy you did.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#30]
OO-FUCKIN-RAH, roninar15, it's just the plain truth

tavous1
Go tell that recruiter to give you the damn paperwork already...  Sounds like you need to get somethin goin'  If you're comforatable with your marriage, and think you could deal without being with your wife long periods of time, and think your wife won't go nuts taking care of the kid byherself...... what the hell are you waiting for?
If you're newly married or think it may cause problems, then that is more important, tend to your family first, I love the Corps, but my family always comes first.

I new a guy in Highschool (a year ahead of me) that "wanted" to join the corps, spent 9 or 10 months in the delayed entry program and got to meps (inprocessing) the day before bootcamp and chickened the hell out...started whining like a little bitch about his knee or some shit.  A year later when came back from Parris Island, went to the grocery store with my mother one day, and who the fuck did I see but Greg's sorry non-hackin-ass stockin groceries on the shelf.

Hey if you want it, go and get it, don't wait til your an old man and wonder what if....

Even if you do your 4 and get out, you will be part of a brotherhood, and have brothers that you will talk to all the time, I just talked to a fellow devildawg today on the phone for about an hour, and still talk to several others all the time.  

The GI bill kicks ass too. 800 a month and still rising.

Man, just when I clean my language up for the civilian world, I talk to one of my jarhead buddies and can't stop cussin...

By the way, seems like you have a stalker, they are tracking your every post, you may have to by a new gun for personal protection, hehehe
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BTT as a courtesy, wouldn't want the others to think you are dodging my inquiry.
View Quote

You know what you dic* head I don't even have to answers you!! If you don't like what I posted will then Fuc* you. What do you think you are god? I don't have to answer some troll like you. If you have a problem with this I'll give you may address and you can come and see me if you would like to but be sure I'm going to kick your troll A$$ in if you do.

To all I have talked to the Gunny He told me all I have to do is go down and swear in and get a date I' going to be shipped out at. I'm going to go all the way for God and county and for my family.

Hoo-Rah to all you Marines& Military men & woman out there.

And God bless all the men and woman who are fighting this war!!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top