Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/27/2011 11:14:03 AM EDT
I have a hardware firewall, but not having a software firewall makes me feel uneasy. Years ago, I remember zone alert informing you of out going connections, but they were not really easily decipherable. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:32:33 PM EDT
Windows has a built in firewall that manages inbound connections.

Your router is "sort of" a firewall that drops unsolicited inbound connections through NAT unless you set up a DMZ IP.

The outbound connections you want to monitor is a bit like closing the barn door after the horses are out. It's too late.

If you are concerned about traffic, get a packet sniffer and use that to look at what is going on.

Otherwise, just use MalwareBytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and stay off the bad sites and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:54:19 PM EDT
Get adblocker plus and noscript

If you want a REAL firewall hook up a linux pc and spend some time learning IP tables
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:25:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:29:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cruze5:
i have never used a software firewall and i feel safe and secure.

i did try zonealarm back in the day. But it just boggged down my system

+1
Software firewalls are not.
Hardware or dedicated os is the only way to firewall.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:33:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BionicSniper:
Get adblocker plus and noscript

If you want a REAL firewall hook up a linux (Free/Open)BSD pc and spend some time learning IP tables pf

Fixed.

If you don't want to learn (as much) a better alternative is pfSense, which is a FreeBSD based pf firewall with a full featured web administration interface.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:12:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:
I have a hardware firewall, but not having a software firewall makes me feel uneasy. Years ago, I remember zone alert informing you of out going connections, but they were not really easily decipherable. Any suggestions?

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

There's also a product, online armor, by TallEmu that the above does not include in reviews.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:15:19 PM EDT
get Linux.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:36:37 PM EDT
Don't mess with a software firewall. Hardware firewall all the way.

With logging on a hardware firewall you will see all the same details.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:42:53 PM EDT
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll read up on your suggestions and make a game plan from there.
Top Top