Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 8:06:35 AM EDT
After looking over the summons, I have to drive about 100 miles to Columbia, SC during the first week of every month in '04 (federal jury duty lasts a year), and if I actually sit on a jury, I'll "get" to stay for 2-3 days, according to the summons. Hell, financially, I'll come out in decent shape if I do sit on a jury; my employer pays full salary for it, plus if I have to stay for a couple days, "Uncle" pays $40 per day, plus $100 a day for lodging-no receipts required, plus $0.36 per mile round trip.
I'm looking forward to it! Hell, why not? It'll be an educational experience for me, and after all...it's part of being a citizen.
The only downside will be not actually sitting on a trial jury, but what the hell; ya gotta take what you can get.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, it's probably more interesting than sitting on a trial jury.  You'll get to hear all the investigative stuff that goes on before charges are ever brought.  I think it would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm glad you decided to serve on a grand jury. It should prove real insightful how the system works. My friend in L.A. County(Calif), sat on a grand jury that indicted a person for possession of a machine gun without even looking too carefully at the evidence. My buddy wanted to at least read thru the stuff but the rest of jurors felt no need, WTF!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, they teach you quite a bit of law and how the legal system works in order to prep you for service.

My dad was on the Federal Grand Jury about 15 years ago and enjoyed the experience. Supposedly he is exempt from jury duty now because of his service.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#4]
you will have fun, do it
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Got the same summons this summer for the Federal Court in Alexandria (where that idiot Moussaui is being tried).

IIRC, the info with the summons said the grand jury normally sat for a year, but this could be extended another six months by a judge.

Dug out a coat, tie and a decent pair of slacks.  Noted when I walked into room where I was to report that there were some folks wearing shorts, sweat pants and such!! [:O]

Our of maybe 90 people summoned, something like 40 or so got selected.  They plain and simply pulled your name out of a hat, nothing more.

A number of those selected tried to get out of it, almost none succeeded.

I wasn’t selected.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I use to live in a small town on the border of Kalifornistan. Being a small town you were called pretty regular for the local court. I got a big kick out the people there who didn't want to be there. For the drunk driving cases the lawyers would ask...Have you ever donated money to M.A.D.D...if you answer yes,then out the door you went. I thought I was good at making excuses,some of these guys are "artists". You'll have a good time Zardoz.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It's refreshing to hear someone who doesn't bitch about being inconvenienced by being requested to perform a civic duty such as jury duty. I can at least sort of understand/sympathize with those who may suffer financial hardships, but I hear people complaining about having to show up for it at all.

Good job. Maybe you'll something more interesting than the DUI and Fourth Degree Assault trial I sat through the last time I had jury duty.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is about half way through her Federal Jury duty now, She was given 18 months of 2 days a week, every other week. She sits on the Grand Jury. She seems to really like it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a good time!
Sadly I have yet to get afforded the opportunity to do this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Grand Jury is easy. All you do is listen and judge if there is sufficient evidence for the case to go forward.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for supporting our legal system.  It is appreciated.

SC-Texas
Attorney at Law
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Do it! Grand Jury duty is the best. It's the only time you can really make a difference.

The look on the prosecutors face when you "no bill" a weak case that he thought he'd grease by the "pumpkin rollers" on the Grand Jury is priceless.

Don't get me wrong 98% of what you get you'll want to vote a true bill on. But they always try to slip in some stinkers that they didn't do any homework on. You'll see.

Almost forgot. You may see them bring a case to you and actually ask you to "no bill" it. They may know at that point that they can't win if it goes to trial, but are under some kind of pressure to get it to the Grand Jury. The Grand Jury can still vote a true bill after hearing the evidence if they want.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Spent 3 months on a local Grand Jury. Every Tuesday, some Thursdays and then for 5 weeks every Wednesday hearing a state gambling case. Best part was we got to question the witnesses. The local DA encouraged us to ask questions. I got picked for secretary duties. Lost and lots of writing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My dad was on a Federal Grand Jury back back in the 70's.  Same deal as R-32's wife has.

I never recall him mentioning any specifics but you could tell from the comments he’d sometimes make that it was an experience and a half in seeing the other side of society.

I think he always suspected how fucked up some people are.  Spending 18 months seeing it first hand just confirmed it for him.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
CooL!

Should be an educational & interesting event.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like fun
You will have to keep us posted
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I had Jury duty a couple summers ago, for the county court house, I enjoyed it....
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like fun
View Quote
Don't worry 'bout that; I will. Especially if a firearms case comes up.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't worry 'bout that; I will. Especially if a firearms case comes up.
View Quote

No you won't. You're not allowed to talk about it. [BD]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No you won't. You're not allowed to talk about it. [BD]
View Quote
Ah yeah, that's right, I forgot about that...no talking about pending cases.

Edited, because the board code seems to have grown a mind of it's own tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top