Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 12:59:51 PM EDT
It's 85 deg out today and would be a great day to go shooting, except the wind is blowing 35mph, dust is flying everwhere and it just sucks being outside.

What's it like where you are?
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

That depends on how much Sam Adams my partner had last night. Anything more than 6 and he breaks wind in excess of 35 mph. [:X*] [:X*]PPPUUUU!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Try spitting into it... see if that makes it go away.....

damn ... I just couldnt resist....[:)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try spitting into it... see if that makes it go away.....

damn ... I just couldnt resist....[:)]
View Quote

Well I think that would be slightly better than pissing in it.  At least I could duck to avoid it as it comes flying back at me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean that there are parts of the country that don't have constant 30-40mph winds....

I have got to move there, of course then I would probably fall down due to the lean that I have developed through the years
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's 85 deg out today and would be a great day to go shooting, except the wind is blowing 35mph, dust is flying everwhere and it just sucks being outside.

View Quote

What are you bitching about? It was was only 60 here today. I'd take 85 and wind over 60 and wind anyday[;)]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, hate the wind as well.  I think I'd rather have rain.  Without the wind of course.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Yesterday was the same here in TN....winds 20/25 mph and gusty............

Tried working on a rifle outside as it was really warm and sunny but couldn't keep a damned thing on the table...........everything flying around all the time......pi$$ed me off!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey! How about those poor bastards in Maryland earlier this week.  Now THEY had some wind!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You should see where I live.

I reside in the Columbia river gorge sorta near portland, OR , 35-40 mph happens all the time.
Whats funny is this last year has been the calmest year ever here, its hardly blown at all!  That and all the SKI area's are still open on Mountain, what a messed up year for weather! We'll be able to ski through summer I hear. Amazing.

You guys think this is just one of those weird shifts that happens every 100 or 1000 years in weather patterns, or did we F up are eviroment so much the weather is F'd?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Way too much wind here as well, ok temps though.

As far as climate and what not, for every article with an expert saying humans are the cause of all this you can find another expert that says we are not.

I like ice ages and what not, wonder who caused them?  I think mother nature will take care of things ok.

Personally I wonder if we should blame indians doing rain dances for all the flooding in my area?  

This really bothers tree huggers, whom I am known to argue with on occassion.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Along with the wind comes the sand.  Here in West Texas we are surrounded by sand for hundreds of miles.  This time of year, the wind averages 25-30 mph with gusts to 50-60.  The sand gets flying, visibility is less than 1/2 mile and the dust and dirt gets into every possible crack and crevice.  Keep your house closed up tight, it still fills with dust.  Wash your car, forget it, it gets covered with sand.  You can actually get your car sandblasted by driving down the highway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Along with the wind comes the sand.  Here in West Texas we are surrounded by sand for hundreds of miles.  This time of year, the wind averages 25-30 mph with gusts to 50-60.  The sand gets flying, visibility is less than 1/2 mile and the dust and dirt gets into every possible crack and crevice.  Keep your house closed up tight, it still fills with dust.  Wash your car, forget it, it gets covered with sand.  You can actually get your car sandblasted by driving down the highway.
View Quote

That's why, when it's hazy here and they blame it on some monster Mongolian dust storm, I know better.  All our haze comes from Texas.

When I become Dictator of Colorado I'm going to line the southern and eastern borders of the state with huge wind-powered vacuum cleaners.  Periodically we'll clean the filters, load the dirt into 18-wheelers and, under cover of darkness, drive to Texas empty it on your streets and highways.

Damn Texas dirt.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why, when it's hazy here and they blame it on some monster Mongolian dust storm, I know better.  All our haze comes from Texas.

When I become Dictator of Colorado I'm going to line the southern and eastern borders of the state with huge wind-powered vacuum cleaners.  Periodically we'll clean the filters, load the dirt into 18-wheelers and, under cover of darkness, drive to Texas empty it on your streets and highways.

Damn Texas dirt.  [:D]
View Quote

It's already covering our streets and highways and ya know where it really comes from?

Arizona and New Mexico.  The winds ALWAYS blow out of the west.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Wind makes shooting difficult, but unless the object is just to make bullseyes on paper, it can be viewed as a challenge to be overcome through practice.

Get out there and shoot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
in So. Arizona.., windy as hell for several days, fire about to burn my butt.......

any one down wind getting our smoke ???

the satelite vies shows it over west Texas....

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
SW New Mexico is getting the smoke.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Dukota, I lived in Lubbock for a year, around '80, when I left, I had to get my truck repainted. Loved the prarie dog hunting  ....fullclip
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Hell, I've been waiting 6 months for some good wind.  Can't fly my slope gliders without the wind.  During the summer months, we usually get the afternoon onshore flow just about everyday.  Nice 10-20MPH everyday after work to drill holes in the sky.

Otherwise, wait for the Santa Ana's to come a blowing and hang on for the ride.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, every time I go to the range there seems to be a 20 mph crosswind. Every rifle I own is zeroed to that stinkin' crosswind!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top