Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2005 5:48:11 AM EDT
Here is my previous work of art:

I hate the Media (Rant)...

Lets take a comparative look at some lyrics.

Then and now:

Temptations-Just my imagination (1971)

Soon we'll be married..
and raise a family.
In a cozy, little home out in the country
with two children, maybe three.
I tell you, I can visualize it all.
This couldn't be a dream for too real it all seems.

Petey Pablo-Freek-a-leek (2003)

Tell me what you want, do you want it missionary with your feet cramed into the head board?
Do you want it from the back with your face in the pillow so you can
yell it loud as you want to?
Do you want it on the floor? Do you want it on the chair?
Do you want it over here? Do you want it over there?
Do you want it in ya pussy? Do you want it in ya ass?
I'll give you anything you can handle!

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell-How sweet it is to be loved by you (1964)

I needed the shelter of someone's arms and there you were
I needed someone to understand my ups and downs
and there you were
With sweet love and devotion
deeply touching my emotion
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

Fiddy Cent-Candy Shop (2005)

I take you to the candy shop
I'll let you lick the lollypop
Go 'head girl, don't you stop
Keep goin 'til you hit the spot (whoa)
*Snip*
Lights on or lights off, she like it from behind
*Snip*
Give it to me baby, nice and slow
Climb on top, ride like you in the rodeo
You ain't never heard a sound like this before
Cause I ain't never put it down like this

How the hell did music go from Motown to Mos Def?!?!

A few days ago I heard some gold toothed bastard shout:

"BITCH YOU BETTA NOT HALF-STEP ON ME BITCH N***A MUTHA-FUCKAH YO MOMMA IS A HO"

A famous comedian a few years ago was talking about rap artists only singing about sex and not love. Christian American morals have long since gone out the window. It is now acceptable to blast this filth into the ears of your children.

Rappers have sampled every know sound and song known to man-kind. If it was ever created, Puffy has a remix on that shit! Word!!!

Lately rappers have come to the point where they are sampling music from video games invented decades ago. When you get to the point where you have to use Pac-man and Super Mario sounds as a chrous, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Can't you come up with your own shit just so you can say it's original?

The lifestlyes that rappers chant (Not sing) on their records makes it sound like the only way a black male can succeed in life is to become a rapper or basketball player. You can forget about your aspirations to become an accomplished person.

Who ever runs the rap empire, they sure know how to market things. Who would have though a mundane oversized white T-shirt would be the next hip hop fashion? If I had a warehouse full of pink hats, I'd just pay someone to make a song and music video and I'd be rich! I'd start investing my money while the fools rush in. These clothes aren't even hard to make. I dare you to go to a mall and pick out some "straight gangsta" clothing that isn't produced in a third world shithole...  

Rap is a money-making industry. The smart rappers are entertainers...

They might look big and bad on TV but they don't live their life like that. The smart rappers act hard on screen and laugh their asses off all the way to the bank because people buy this shit.

Most rappers have as much talent as my dog. I swear that he could make an album and sell it as long as it had a good beat and a lot of bass. I'd also need to give him a gold chain, gold grill, a white T, and some Nikes. If I were rich, I'd just make my dog a rapper - dress him up - market the shit out of him - make my money and tell the public that it was just a joke.

A person is intellegent.

The people are MORONS!

When you listen to this music, nothing constructive comes to your mind. Tell me when the next time you hear Snoop Dogg and at the same time think, I want to do something to make the day better (For yourself or another person). While listening to this shit, I'd rather beat up the next person I see instead saying something nice to my girlfriend.

It is proven that classical music from the baroque period causes the heart beat and pulse rate to relax to the beat of the music.

It might also be proven that rap causes you to shoot the next guy who scuffs your $150 Nikes...

How many REAL musical instruments can you name in your average rap song?
How many rappers have you seen that can dance?

When I say dance, I don't mean running around vigourously grabbing your crotch while making strange hand gestures (And screaming nothing but profanities into the mike the WHOLE time).

Why don't rappers invest their money? Why don't they choose from thousands of books that show you how to do so?

Sadly, it is proven that "Home-boys" cannot sucessfully acquire books because of a magnetic force that repels the book from the previously mentioned "Home-boy".

It would be funny if it was true...

You can take Ray-Ray out of the ghetto but you can't take it out of him...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Very stylish!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Rap's redeeming virtue is that it sets the low watermark for noise that passes itself off for music. Even the hammering of jackhammers gives greater audible pleasure.  In giving "rap" a poor name, do not credit the "artists" (term used very loosely) for not living the lifestyle the "rap" about.  Some do die in a hail of gunfire which, in itself, is no loss for the greater good of society.  Unfortunately, it gives the legitimate firearm owners like ourselves a bad name since another "child" has died and thus the impetus for more restrictions on firearms.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't agree more.  For a demographic that wants to be respected and treated fairly, they sure don't try to earn it.  

Give me Sam Cooke anyday.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 Werd
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#5]
As Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is and stupid does".

I have to agree with you on everything you wrote, except one thing.  You call these profane morons artists.  They are not artists.  Artists make beautiful things that people want to see and hear.  I personally don't want to see or hear some "Homey" jumping around yelling profanity's about how he is going to "pop a cap in some ni**a's ass and go and fuck his bitch ass ho" all the while his pants are below his ass and a 6X tee shirt turned inside out.  

That isn't art, that is lack of brains.

cRap "music" (and I use the term very loosely) is and will be the downfall of America.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#6]
HK_Shooter_03 - You have a much higher opinion of rap than I do...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
+1

Remember, all of you guys that love that shit will have wives and daughters one day. Do you want every male looking at them with those kind of thoughts pounded into their minds?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
HK_Shooter_03 - You have a much higher opinion of rap than I do...

My post is heavily censored and CoC complaint...

Rap is damaging to anyone who listens to it.

These rappers can't think deep enough to understand that what they rap about effects their core-crowd...

They influence the lives of so many people and they don't even understand the toll it takes...

I listen to Motown oldies...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The attitude it gives my people (Or any people who listen to it) is another topic which I will not post about...

Bill Cosby summed it up pretty good...

All you and I can do is help younger people avoid this stuff.

Everyone else is too far gone.

If you care about your family, don't let them listen...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I've raised four children to adulthood...

cRap has never been played in my house, ever.

If they play it in a movie, it gets fast forwarded until the shit is over.

It's not the lyrics only I can't stand, it's all of it.

GM

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I listen to Motown oldies...

Just heard "Tears of a Clown" for the first time in like 20 years on the radio - man did that bring back memories!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]
RAP music is one of many types of primitive tribal behavior that has crept into modern society by allowing sub-cultures to form within society.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
RAP music is one of many types of primitive tribal behavior that has crept into modern society by allowing sub-cultures to form within society.

I'd like you to back that comment up with more details...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Like yuppies, urban cowboys, and fake bikers?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The attitude it gives my people (Or any people who listen to it) is another topic which I will not post about...

Bill Cosby summed it up pretty good...

All you and I can do is help younger people avoid this stuff.

Everyone else is too far gone.

If you care about your family, don't let them listen...

"Your people"? Does that mean you're black?

IF so, what do you make of Bill Cosby's recent coments?

Cosby's ire is focused at the African-American community: its rates of juvenile delinquency, its parenting, the coarse language of its youth. You can do better, he exhorts his audiences. Don't let yourself be victims, and especially don't let the poorest in the community let themselves be victims.

www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/11/cosby/

More...

Part of his remarks included: "Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids, $500 sneakers for what, and won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics. They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is'... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads.... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2517/Bill_Cosby_remarks_during_Brown_v_BOE_ceremony
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#17]
To me, the rap culture is just another fad like Disco and bell bottoms.

Let people enjoy whatever, but if that starts fucking with other peoples lives..."Time to pop a 9 gat in tha' foo"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#18]

While listening to this shit, I'd rather beat up the next person I see instead saying something nice to my girlfriend.

Ain't it the truth!

I was at the car wash the other day () just to vacuum out my van.  There were a couple of Hispanic kids parked next to me listening to that shit.  After 5 minutes I was ready to go over, beat them to a bloody pulp and shove the subwoofers up their asses.

There is music I don't like and music that annoys me.  I've been known to crank the volume on my stereo to "11" on occasion (when it doesn't bother others) for "the good shit".  I'm one of the most passive people you'd ever encounter but a few moments of listening to C rap will put me in a violent, murderous mindset.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That says it all right there.
The vast majority of modern rap caters to the lowest, crudest, trashiest level.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
+1

Remember, all of you guys that love that shit will have wives and daughters one day. Do you want every male looking at them with those kind of thoughts pounded into their minds?

My gf likes that candy shop song. I fucking hate it. Ill have to agree with you 100%. That's a good point.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
It's the decline of western civ i tellz ya! Negro paaaaaaleeeeze!
Y'all white boys jus jealous cuz yu ain't gittin the white cooch like we iz. Mus make yo blood boil. I'll tell you whats wrong with rock today, you ever listen to that shisse? like pearl jam clones or stone temple pilots crap? It all about whining, and horrible non-melody! "Dont call me daughter" WTF is that?? Throw in dinosaurism (playing songs from 1974 20 times a day) into the mix and you've got the decline of rock and roll. Rule #1 if your music does'nt "speak" to the teens, you know like Polka , it aint gonna be populares! They want what rappers talk about, Sex, weed, beer, cooch, fighting "the man" ,all that shit. And they are'nt phoney, these guys got money but they still shoot it out and go to jail, so you know thay are fo' real cus! People say things either go out with a bang or a wimper, unless rock somehow becomes popular again i can say that it went with a wimper.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Here is my previous work of art:

I hate the Media (Rant)...

Lets take a comparative look at some lyrics.

Then and now:

Temptations-Just my imagination (1971)

Soon we'll be married..
and raise a family.
In a cozy, little home out in the country
with two children, maybe three.
I tell you, I can visualize it all.
This couldn't be a dream for too real it all seems.

Petey Pablo-Freek-a-leek (2003)

Tell me what you want, do you want it missionary with your feet cramed into the head board?
Do you want it from the back with your face in the pillow so you can
yell it loud as you want to?
Do you want it on the floor? Do you want it on the chair?
Do you want it over here? Do you want it over there?
Do you want it in ya pussy? Do you want it in ya ass?
I'll give you anything you can handle!

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell-How sweet it is to be loved by you (1964)

I needed the shelter of someone's arms and there you were
I needed someone to understand my ups and downs
and there you were
With sweet love and devotion
deeply touching my emotion
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

Fiddy Cent-Candy Shop (2005)

I take you to the candy shop
I'll let you lick the lollypop
Go 'head girl, don't you stop
Keep goin 'til you hit the spot (whoa)
*Snip*
Lights on or lights off, she like it from behind
*Snip*
Give it to me baby, nice and slow
Climb on top, ride like you in the rodeo
You ain't never heard a sound like this before
Cause I ain't never put it down like this

A few days ago I heard some gold toothed bastard shout:

"BITCH YOU BETTA NOT HALF-STEP ON ME BITCH N***A MUTHA-FUCKAH YO MOMMA IS A HO"

A famous comedian a few years ago was talking about rap artists only singing about sex and not love. Christian American morals have long since gone out the window. It is now acceptable to blast this filth into the ears of your children.

Rappers have sampled every know sound and song known to man-kind. If it was ever created, Puffy has a remix on that shit! Word!!!

Lately rappers have come to the point where they are sampling music from video games invented decades ago. When you get to the point where you have to use Pac-man and Super Mario sounds as a chrous, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Can't you come up with your own shit just so you can say it's original?

The lifestlyes that rappers chant (Not sing) on their records makes it sound like the only way a black male can succeed in life is to become a rapper or basketball player. You can forget about your aspirations to become an accomplished person.

Who ever runs the rap empire, they sure know how to market things. Who would have though a mundane oversized white T-shirt would be the next hip hop fashion? If I had a warehouse full of pink hats, I'd just pay someone to make a song and music video and I'd be rich! I'd start investing my money while the fools rush in. These clothes aren't even hard to make. I dare you to go to a mall and pick out some "straight gangsta" clothing that isn't produced in a third world shithole...  

Rap is a money-making industry. The smart rappers are entertainers...

They might look big and bad on TV but they don't live their life like that. The smart rappers act hard on screen and laugh their asses off all the way to the bank because people buy this shit.

Most rappers have as much talent as my dog. I swear that he could make an album and sell it as long as it had a good beat and a lot of bass. I'd also need to give him a gold chain, gold grill, a white T, and some Nikes. If I were rich, I'd just make my dog a rapper - dress him up - market the shit out of him - make my money and tell the public that it was just a joke.

A person is intellegent.

The people are MORONS!

When you listen to this music, nothing constructive comes to your mind. Tell me when the next time you hear Snoop Dogg and at the same time think, I want to do something to make the day better (For yourself or another person). While listening to this shit, I'd rather beat up the next person I see instead saying something nice to my girlfriend.

It is proven that classical music from the baroque period causes the heart beat and pulse rate to relax to the beat of the music.

It might also be proven that rap causes you to shoot the next guy who scuffs your $150 Nikes...

How many REAL musical instruments can you name in your average rap song?
How many rappers have you seen that can dance?

When I say dance, I don't mean running around vigourously grabbing your crotch while making strange hand gestures (And screaming nothing but profanities into the mike the WHOLE time).

Why don't rappers invest their money? Why don't they choose from thousands of books that show you how to do so?

Sadly, it is proven that "Home-boys" cannot sucessfully acquire books because of a magnetic force that repels the book from the previously mentioned "Home-boy".

It would be funny if it was true...

You can take Ray-Ray out of the ghetto but you can't take it out of him...

Dont really want to nitpick but....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate 99% of rap (for some reason, I really
dig The Chronic). But, like techno, the
beat really appeals to me. I need to find the
karaoke versions of rap so I can listen to the
beat without the fucked up lyrics.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#24]
The only rap I like is Tupac and Bone Thugs N Harmony.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Milo: "You think you are so fucking cool, don't you? You think you are so fucking cool. But just once, I would like to hear you scream in pain..."

Joe Hallenbeck: "Play some rap music."
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Fourty years from now, a man and a woman will be sitting on their front porch, rocking in their rocking chairs, and a hydrogen powered car will hover by playing an "oldie" talking about ass fucking a ho after she sucked your sweaty dick.  The woman will look to the man and say, "yo mufugga, you dig dat shit? Dat is some romantical  shit! It remind me back in de day when you firs made love to my booty  behind de dumpster at de barbeque place".

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#28]
As a prespiring musician, I try to appreciate all forms of music..... It's just that I can't actually call Rap music.  It is not original at all and in my opinion, it sucks ass.  Lowest form of communication.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and look the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#31]
If I may steal a page from Paul's play book....

...Kids these days. Figures. WTF?

Black music was so much more wholesome back in the day:

Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues:
Now you can squeeze my lemon 'til the juice run down my...
(spoken: 'til the juice rune down my leg, baby, you know what I'm talkin' about)
You can squeeze my lemon 'til the juice run down my leg
(spoken: That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, now)
But I'm goin' back to Friars Point1, if I be rockin'to my head

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#32]
There is a band called Dynamite Hack, and they do a version of a hardcore rap song. Sung softly and accompanied by acoustic guitars. It's the funnies fucking thing I have ever heard. You don't realize what those lyrics really are until somebody does them slowly and in English.

GT
I like the punk rock myself....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I hate rap as well, but lets also put things in perspective...Forty-some years ago Little Richard wasn't singing about lollipops when he sang about tutti frutti, etc, etc. Thirty years ago Aerosmith wasn't talking about music when they sang about "giving you my ten inch". The genrea of music called "Rock and Roll" isn't named after unstable  geological formations. Sex has always "sold" in popular culture, the only difference being that it was historically forced underground by the more puritanical members of society.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I hate rap as well, but lets also put things in perspective...Forty-some years ago Little Richard wasn't singing about lollipops when he sang about tutti frutti, etc, etc. Thirty years ago Aerosmith wasn't talking about music when they sang about "giving you my ten inch". The genrea of music called "Rock and Roll" isn't named after unstable  geological formations. Sex has always "sold" in popular culture, the only difference being that it was historically forced underground by the more puritanical members of society.

You got it. The only difference now is, the "artists" are a little more blunt about it. The message hasn't changed though. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure what everybody was singing about.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Well that and Little Richard, Robert Johnson, et al actually were musicians.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 19 an love the good old music from when you guys were in your 20's. I can't deal with the rap music, it gives me migraine to think down to their level.

Give me something pleasant that doesn't project a fake lifestyle. It's just as stupid as ebonics, and liberals would have it as a freedom of speech and expression. Bullshit, it's just another excuse for being lazy, talentless and a drain on society.

They want to ban our firearms, let's ban their noise I say.

ETA: And WTF is up with that Eminem shit?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#37]
i like most of it,,makes me feel like im  in a titty bar when im drunk

besides that i listen so i can understand what folks are saying  when i am at work !
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

besides that i listen so i can understand what folks are saying  when i am at work !

?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

i work in sect. 8 houseing,,,,, da "'hood"".....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

Come work at Bass Pro, no ebonics or hood there
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

Come work at Bass Pro, no ebonics or hood there

pay me  15$ and hour and give me a 600$ per month  apt. concession and i will
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It's the decline of western civ i tellz ya! Negro paaaaaaleeeeze!
Y'all white boys jus jealous cuz yu ain't gittin the white cooch like we iz. Mus make yo blood boil. hats, it aint gonna be populares! They want what rappers talk about, Sex, weed, beer, cooch, fighting "the man" hug.gif,all that shit. And they are'nt phoney, these guys got money but they still shoot it out and go to jail, so you know thay are fo' real cus! People say things either go out with a bang or a wimper, unless rock somehow becomes popular again i can say that it went with a wimper. hr

Todays so called rock sucks.  I definetly don't like the New noise thats coming out, ie... 50 cent, T.I. and all BS sound.  I saw 50 in concert and he sucked ass, total waste of money.   I do like the stuff thats been around like Snoop, Too Short, Cypris Hill, West side connection..... but I Listen to raggae, ROOTS flows through my veins.  I am from an island in the pacific and it keeps me right were I want to be, away from all that money, hoes, wanna be gangsta crap.  BUT, everyone has an opinion.  I do respect the fact that these guys work their ass off to get were they are today.  MUCH RESPECT FOR WORK ETHIC.  its not easy to make it in the entertainment biz.  I say, If you don't like it keep it to yourself and family and let things go with the flow.  All things that have a beginning has an end.

Everyone has their own
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got it. The only difference now is, the "artists" are a little more blunt about it. The message hasn't changed though. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure what everybody was singing about.

There IS a diferance...
It's called "Leaving something to the imagination." or "Musical/Lyrical Innuendo."

You don't need to shout about it, people will figgure it out....

Shakespeare was doing much the same thing hundreds of years ago, as were many others.

Sex isn't new.......

They just used the listener's mind to make the connection(s). Much better, IMHO than doing something like posting it on a billboard in 8" tall florescent letters. It's a matter of a person's  class/intelligence. Nothing more. Less Class=More bluntness.

I also like the "Gangsta", or "Thug" or "Bad Boy" life, these asses try to portray themselves in/as.

Yeah, A 120lb 5'1" white kid that grew up in a well-to-do suburban neighborhood is a real tough guy! or some incoherently speaking fool with fake gold dental work & no useful gun skills is going to threaten My whole race, because I'm part White, and have a moral lifestyle? Hahahahahaha! Oh, Yes! I'm impressed!

Rap is bad poetry, set to a beat, with sampled music thrown in. Food for the Foolish.

I also agree that >Most< of todays "Rock" is B_LLS_IT! too.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#44]
If rap were 100% white, we would all love it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Todays so called rock sucks.  I definetly don't like the New noise thats coming out, ie... 50 cent, T.I. and all BS sound.  I saw 50 in concert and he sucked ass, total waste of money.   I do like the stuff thats been around like Snoop, Too Short, Cypris Hill, West side connection..... but I Listen to raggae, ROOTS flows through my veins.  I am from an island in the pacific and it keeps me right were I want to be, away from all that money, hoes, wanna be gangsta crap.  BUT, everyone has an opinion.

I do respect the fact that these guys work their ass off to get were they are today.  MUCH RESPECT FOR WORK ETHIC.  its not easy to make it in the entertainment biz.

I say, If you don't like it keep it to yourself and family and let things go with the flow.  All things that have a beginning has an end.
Everyone has their own

As someone who has worked in the local (Detroit) music industry, let me say that Despite what many people will tell you, 97%+ of the people who are in the industry & make it, do so because they...
(A) Were in the right place, at the right time, singing the right stuff, with the right look, and the right people saw an opportunity to make money off of them. (IE: Blind Luck)
(B) Sold out. Plane and simple. If you want to make it, and can swallow ANY shred of self worth, and have even the least amount of talent, You might just do well.
(C) Had a backer who was RICH and WANTED YOU TO MAKE IT and KNEW WHO TO GET LAID, HIGH, PRESSURED, GREASED, ETC.

The other +- 3% are the RARE exceptions. It's probably less that 3%.

Being the "Best" or "Most talented" or even "Hard Working" doesn't mean that you will even have a "Shot" in this industry. I've seen Way too many great entertainers never make it, for me to think (know) otherwise. Hard work is great, but most of todays cRAP "Artists" are there because of "(A)" above. Someone saw an opportunity to MAKE MONEY OFF OF THEM. They will be given a small bit to start out with(Under a contract with the "Money makers"), then after they "Make it"(The money for the people "In charge"), they will be cast aside to make way for the next "Big Thing". Seen it, been there-done that, got the T-Shirt & DVD.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Fourty years from now, a man and a woman will be sitting on their front porch, rocking in their rocking chairs, and a hydrogen powered car will hover by playing an "oldie" talking about ass fucking a ho after she sucked your sweaty dick.  The woman will look to the man and say, "yo mufugga, you dig dat shit? Dat is some romantical  shit! It remind me back in de day when you firs made love to my booty  behind de dumpster at de barbeque place".

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#49]

As someone who has worked in the local (Detroit) music industry

Doing what?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If rap were 100% white, we would all love it.

I hate all of that pop crap that they've been putting out lately. Have you listened to most (pop)"rock" today? If you've heard one, you've heard them all. The record companies now feel that publicizing bands with original sound and flavor is offensive. Rap is just horrible pop crap that is the worst product that the record companies have ver produced. There are some good bands out there as we speak but the record companies won't give them the time of day.

About the whole "morality" issue of the lyrics... Since when is being clever with the words that you use the same as blatantly saying "ni**ah muthah fu**ahs honkey be hodin me down shoot da cops rape da hos". As I recalled the classics weren't anything like this. The difference today is that this is acceptable in today's society. Back a couple of decades ago if you dyed your hair, you would automatically be called a homosexual and get the shit beat out of you. Same goes for putting to much hair product in your hair and acting fruity. If you dressed like a clown you would be treated as such.

Most of you guys didn't have to grow up in the 90's with this shit. You didn't have to graduate highschool in the early 2000's. There were a few good hits in the 90's but that's when music died. And the 80's are always referred by the experts as the "last attempt at rock". I'll just stick to my classic rock since I'm not one of the sheeple.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top