Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:11:17 AM EDT
Been sitting in the jury pool room waiting to be called since 8:00am.  This is my 4th time being called in for jury duty and it's the same situation every time.  I show up, sit around all day, and then get sent home.  Don't get me wrong... I am greatful for the opportunity to serve as a juror.  I just wish they had a better system.  This has been a COMPLETE waste of my day, as it has been every other time I've ever been called upon to serve. (4th time already)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes it does suck. But if I was on the stand for any reason, I'd probably want a like minded, rational thinking arfcom member to hear me out. FWIW
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Been sitting in the jury pool room waiting to be called since 8:00am.  This is my 4th time being called in for jury duty and it's the same situation every time.  I show up, sit around all day, and then get sent home.  Don't get me wrong... I am greatful for the opportunity to serve as a juror.  I just wish they had a better system.  This has been a COMPLETE waste of my day, as it has been every other time I've ever been called upon to serve. (4th time already)
do u still get paid?

if not, i'd be pissed as well

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It annoys me too.   I get paid 3 hrs of overtime to show up so the guy can plead out at the last minute.    Not that I mind sometimes, but it is an incredible waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you white?  Male?  Under the age of 60?

No lawyer in their right mind would let you get past voir dire anyhow.

At least, not around here.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a dialysis patient so no more jury duty for me ever. I would rather have my kidneys back and the possibility of maybe spending one day of listening to bullshit for 8 bucks though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not that it matters, but yes.

Just by looking around the room at the beginning this morning, I was one of the only men in the room wearing a collared business shirt.  Everyone else showed up dressed no different than if they were going to the corner store.  Meanwhile, all these people's numbers are being called and I'm just sitting here with my thumb up my ass (thank goodness for free WiFi).  I swear there's gotta be a hidden camera where they can see who are the smart/educated LOOKING people and avoid calling their numbers.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got it right after the Fourth of July. The last time was for the county I live in. As I was a Staff Sgt in an USAR Infantry Co and their Civ-mil Tech, I wore my Class A's

Never got called. That was 14yrs ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes it does suck. But if I was on the stand for any reason, I'd probably want a like minded, rational thinking arfcom member to hear me out. FWIW

Maybe one member, just one, if the charges involved weapons.

But a jury full of arfcom members would be deliberating for 6 months and still not reach a conclusion!
Especially if you used your 9 instead of your .45!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish they would call me. It's been almost 16 years since the last time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I look for arfcommers, never found one yet...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate jury duty.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#12]

My wife is researching a trial that happened in 1927.  At the time, jurors were paid $9/day.

That works out to over $100/day today by inflation.

How can jury pay have lagged so far behind everything else?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that it matters, but yes.

Just by looking around the room at the beginning this morning, I was one of the only men in the room wearing a collared business shirt.  Everyone else showed up dressed no different than if they were going to the corner store.  Meanwhile, all these people's numbers are being called and I'm just sitting here with my thumb up my ass (thank goodness for free WiFi).  I swear there's gotta be a hidden camera where they can see who are the smart/educated LOOKING people and avoid calling their numbers.

Well, the pool selection process is random, or so we're supposed to believe.

But if you do ever get put up for qualification, a nice suit and tie, fresh shave and clean, close haircut will get you DQ'd every time.

"Your honor, please thank and excuse."  

A good lawyer wants a jury smart enough to understand what's going on, but dumb enough that they'll believe his story without thinking too much.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A good lawyer wants a jury smart enough to understand what's going on, but dumb enough that they'll believe his story without thinking too much.

That's in the top 10 of the most idiotic things I've seen here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, guess what.  I'm home.  At 3:30 they came into the room and told all remaining people they could go home and that we'd met our jury 'obligations' for the year.  YEAH!!!  Another wasted day.

What's worse and I forgot to mention it was that I had to sit though 3 of the worst movies of my life in the waiting room:  RV, 27 Dresses, and some Ashton Kutcher movie where he marries some rich girl (I have no idea what it was called b/c I didn' really watch it).  Thank goodness for my Blackberry and my laptop and free wifi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top