Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:15:09 PM EDT
So there's a forum (which I will not mention) that I sometimes post legitimate NFA questions on. I follow the law in what I do. If I post a question such as I can't get the K grip to mount properly on my CA89, it never fails that the first several responses are from the resident internet legal eagles that feel the need to verify that I'm following all required laws. They use responses such as, "it's worth 10 years in prison & $250,000. It's like I need to post a disclaimer telling them all about my gun, that it's registered, etc because they will not address my question without treating me like I'm breaking some law. Am I the only one that finds that shit really irritating?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So there's a forum (which I will not mention) that I sometimes post legitimate NFA questions on. I follow the law in what I do. If I post a question such as I can't get the K grip to mount properly on my CA89, it never fails that the first several responses are from the resident internet legal eagles that feel the need to verify that I'm following all required laws. They use responses such as, "it's worth 10 years in prison & $250,000. It's like I need to post a disclaimer telling them all about my gun, that it's registered, etc because they will not address my question without treating me like I'm breaking some law. Am I the only one that finds that shit really irritating?

no
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were a REAL gun forum it wouldn't be in question. GTFO of where ever you are posting and go to a dedicated gun forum and away from general forum websites that happen to have a gun section. More trolls, airsofters, and fudds hang out there than at real gun forums.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

nope... I am right there with you.

see it here also...  way too much.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps they don't want to see someone go to jail on a dumbass NFA violation?

Seriously, relax and be happy gun owners are looking out for each other.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1.

Imagine if every n00b who asked about mounting a forward grip off the rail on their HD pistol wasn't warned about the NFA BS that incurs.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay away from DU!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
we are a divisive bunch, aren't we?

why is that, i wonder?  is it because owning guns is a "macho" thing, and so we feel a need to sling around testosterone all the time?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Heck, I wondered how many people thought I was up to no good when I asked which parts kit would be best for converting a 5.56mm AK to full-auto, an AK-47 parts kit or AK-74 parts kit.

If it ever looks like the machine gun registry will be reopened, or even the NFA done away with (the latter I'm not holding my breath for, but if things go right for us, and it looks like they will, the MG registry WILL be open again in my lifetime) I'd like to know ahead of time how to get my stuff into rock-and-roll mode.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
we are a divisive bunch, aren't we?

why is that, i wonder?  is it because owning guns is a "macho" thing, and so we feel a need to sling around testosterone all the time?

Most gunowners are just arrogant assholes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]
i agree is can be annying... at the same time at least they are know enough about the laws to keep themselves out of trouble.

at the same time there are a lot of air softers and trolls, although not a lot of people talk about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Imagine if every n00b who asked about mounting a forward grip off the rail on their HD pistol wasn't warned about the NFA BS that incurs.  

I did that not too long ago.

ETA:  Asked about it, not did it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If it were a REAL gun forum it wouldn't be in question. GTFO of where ever you are posting and go to a dedicated gun forum and away from general forum websites that happen to have a gun section. More trolls, airsofters, and fudds hang out there than at real gun forums.

I think most people would consider thie place in question a real gun forum. I've come across this type of stuff at many gun forums. I'm convinced that some posters aren't really looking out for the poster but instead want to catch someone on a public forum. They bring this stuff up when there's no legitimate reason to suspect the person isn't following the law. They cannot just take the question at face value and make a useful contribution...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not limited to internet forums.

I'm constantly being accosted at the range by ex-navy seals who know everything about small arms and Connecticut Law.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]
What I want to know is, when did simply asking questions or acquiring knowledge become illegal?

What if someone (like damn near anyone who owns or is interested in AR's) wants to know about converting one to full auto?  Shooters are naturally interested in these things.

There are legal ways to do damn near anything, so what's the big deal?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What I want to know is, when did simply asking questions or acquiring knowledge become illegal?

What if someone (like damn near anyone who owns or is interested in AR's) wants to know about converting one to full auto?  Shooters are naturally interested in these things.

There are legal ways to do damn near anything, so what's the big deal?

exactly, and I fail to see how the person responding to your post would be responsible in any way if you were to do something illegal with the information they've given. Of course I'm not talking about a situation where information is given to someone that is obviously up to no good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if this thread is going to get locked for

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

4.) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any living person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

How so?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ok you lost me... I don't see how anything is this thread would fit any of the criteria in the above statement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I commented in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How so?

Well, in the past I've seen a couple threads where people are talking about others misunderstanding their previous conversations and thinking it was criminal.

Then some Moderator or Staff member hops in, glances and skims and goes "OMFG CRIME CHAT" and then locks the thread with that justification at the bottom when they clearly didn't read the thread at all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]
people are just playing the odds

over the years at the gun shop I got asked about K gripsand folding stocks for SP89s, 7" ar-15 barrels, foreward grips for Glocks etc probably 20-30 times
only 4 of those were actually for a MG SBR or AOW

the rest of the people seemed to be honestly ignorant and extremely surprised about it being illegal
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Go ahead and post a link, PFC.  I'm sure you're not stretching the truth at all.

This is bullshit.   The regs state that PT is one hour only!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes the legal beagle shit gets old. I often wish they would call their Mom maybe she cares.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a guy yesterday ask me where he could get "plans to build a silencer"... I told him he could buy one legally at (insert C3 gunshop) down the street for less than a grand with the stamp..... got this look

This guy is what I would consider a major gun fanatic and I assumed by his knowledge of military style rifles that he knew more than your average internet commando, but I digress!

After I explained the process, and that he could legally own one he told me that he never knew that! He also told me that he didn't realize that it was a major No No to build a silencer. I LOL and told him that it was also illegal to convert an AR to FA.... but he knew that already!

It surprises me how little your average shooter knows about laws!

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go ahead and post a link, PFC.  I'm sure you're not stretching the truth at all.

This is bullshit.   The regs state that PT is one hour only!

Great I own the page and can't wait to see where this is headed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top