Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 7:05:31 AM EDT
They suck the money and life out of you. We have this 94 Pontiac Sunbird that we use to commute our 160 mile daily round trip. We replaced the engine in it with a brand new one because we already had the car which was in pretty good shape (other than the dead #1 cylinder). It was cheaper than buying a new (used) car when all we want is something to put the crazy miles on.

WELL... today the transmission sticks from 2nd to 3rd. To top it all off, Mbsk01 was on an OTR run up here from TX and we had plans to meet up with Belfrey_Express for dinner. Well that got scrapped till his next run. And now, I have to wait on my bull barrel DCM Match upper for another month. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
yesterday i put a $50 battery in the wife's car. today it gets a $120 alternater.

i just doubled its' value....again.

and...NO!...you can't shoot my s-10 at bulletfest!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: I have clients who meet me at bankruptcy court all the time in $ 30k trucks [whacko]
View Quote

Is that sort of like a gun show (i.e., lowball 'em with cash before they even get in the door)? [;D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
This car has been paid off for 4 years and the body is in really good shape. Everything on this car is clean, so we figured that it would be the best decision to just put cash in it to keep it going. I flipped $2900 for a new Delco engine and I guess this transmission thing is going to cost me another $800. We were the original owners, so we know the whole service history. I can't see putting all these miles on a new car, thereby compounding the financial damage we already do by paying interest on something that depreciates in value [whacko].

Oh well... I'll 'BenDover' and take it.... [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My Infiniti is in the shop as I write this.

The mission is to repair the non-working air conditioning system.  The condenser blew out.  The receiver-drier needs replacement (mandatory when the system has been exposed to outside air) and the compressor is shot.

The compressor ALONE is more than 500 bucks for this model!

I'm staring a 1400 dollar repair bill in the face and the car has 235,000 miles on it, it's on its second motor, and it's a '91 model.

Damn, I miss my old Cadillac.  For that car, Any accessory (alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor, water pump, and the starter, too) was LESS than a hundred bucks for a warranted rebuilt and you can install any of them yourself in an hour or much less.

I think I've spent my last big ticket repair on the Infiniti.   Infiniti:  The average cost of repairs!

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top