Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:49:55 AM EDT
I went to my first class of the day(I go to community college), and when I got there, I waited till our prof got there.  She gets there and the door is locked.  She does not have a key for the door.  

The light bulb goes off in my head, that I've seen campus cops open the doors, they usually have keys.  So I said, "I can call security, there's a phone right there to call them." (There are red phones placed in the hallways with a direct-link to the Campus PD.

I pick up the phone:

[ring]

Dispatcher: "Police Department, how may I help you?"

Me: "I'm outside of Room XXXX and our teacher can't get into the class, she doesn't have a key, can you send an officer here to unlock the door?"

Dispatcher: "What's your instructor's name?"

Me: "(last name of prof)"

Dispatcher: "I'll send someone over there".

Me: "Thank you."

After about a minute, a cop showed up to unlock the door.

My prof was thankful!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
DO you want a cookie?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had to call cops before, it was an experience.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to sound rude but you should not bother the police to unlock a classroom door. I realize they are might only work for a community college but even keeping an eye on a parking lot is more important than unlocking a door for a forgetful professor...and that phone was red probably b/c it was an 'emergency' phone, not a 'I'm locked out of a classroom' phone - those would be pink.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Man, the first time something REALLY good happens, you're gonna shit yourself!  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]

I'm not 100% sure that campus rent-a-ninjas count as "cops"

Were the other students grateful that class didn't have to be cancelled after all?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
ok, so is the dog going to make it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]
You did not draw down on the door?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not to sound rude but you should not bother the police to unlock a classroom door. I realize they are might only work for a community college but even keeping an eye on a parking lot is more important than unlocking a door for a forgetful professor...and that phone was red probably b/c it was an 'emergency' phone, not a 'I'm locked out of a classroom' phone - those would be pink.

Dude.  Campus cops.  That was probably the most exciting thing they did all day ..........
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
She didn't have a key AT ALL.  She didn't forget it, she didn't have it AT ALL.  I don't think it was bothersome, but what else were we gonna do?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude.  Campus cops.  That was probably the most exciting thing they did all day ..........

+1

Stuff like unlocking classroom IS their job on most campuses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You did not draw down on the door?

There was no drawing down or cutting of Jeep tops in this episode.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Apple Polisher!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
She didn't have a key AT ALL.  She didn't forget it, she didn't have it AT ALL.  I don't think it was bothersome, but what else were we gonna do?

Cancel class and go drinking?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#14]
The campus cops at my school were armed with 20 pounds of keys, a billyclub, and a radio.   Sounds like the right person responed for this collegiate SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
and that phone was red probably b/c it was an 'emergency' phone, not a 'I'm locked out of a classroom' phone - those would be pink.

It was red.

These were Campus cops, not Palos Hills police.  

Like I said, she didn't forget it, it was her ring and none of the keys fit.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The campus cops at my school were armed with 20 pounds of keys, a billyclub, and a radio.   Sounds like the right person responed for this collegiate SHTF scenario.

Some(but not all) of the cops at my school carry,
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and that phone was red probably b/c it was an 'emergency' phone, not a 'I'm locked out of a classroom' phone - those would be pink.

It was red.

Moraine Valley ??

ckmorley
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe unlocking doors is in their job description. If it is I would hate to be those guys!

My undergrad and grad school had a student enrollment of around 16,000. The cops there wouldn't budge a finger to unlock a door, were 'regular' police but I must admit about everyone I ever saw was obese - not overweight - I mean OBESE. Wait - there was one skinny male cop but he was usually asleep at his radar gun at a busy intersection during the morning rush to get to class. Everyone knew who this guy was - he was a joke.

You had better get extra credit from the prof.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a winner!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was red.

Moraine Valley ??

ckmorley

Yes sir!  GO CYCLONES!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a key to either of my classrooms either. Whenever I'm locked out, I get the janitor to unlock the door. Janitors have keys to EVERYTHING usually!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#22]
As a grad student/grad asst I had keys to a main building, and a couple offices and classrooms...those were the days....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't have a key to either of my classrooms either. Whenever I'm locked out, I get the janitor to unlock the door. Janitors have keys to EVERYTHING usually!

I hardly see any janitors around.  There's more cops than janitors.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Yes sir!  GO CYCLONES!!!

I went there in the late 80's
They have sports teams out there now ??
Wow........ next thing you know, they'll be calling themslves "University", like St. Xavier's.

If he's still there, take English/Comp from Randy Devillez. Great guy.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yes sir!  GO CYCLONES!!!

I went there in the late 80's
They have sports teams out there now ??
Wow........ next thing you know, they'll be calling themslves "University", like St. Xavier's.

If he's still there, take English/Comp from Randy Devillez. Great guy.

CKMorley

Do you mean Eric Devilliez?  

Yes, they have sports teams!  I have taken all my COM classes already...I wanted to take Devilliez...this chick I knew had him for 101 and thought he was excellent.  He only teaches COM 101 I believe.  

I read in the Glacier they used to have football back in the 80's.  
And speaking of extra-curricular activities, I'm on the College Bowl(academic bowl) and just got accepted to the student ambassador program.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some(but not all) of the cops at my school carry,

I guess I should have said, ..."cops at my school 20 years ago........"  God am I old.  Thanks for the reminder, Deej86
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#27]
When you get the cops called on YOU, you'll have a better story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I went to my first class of the day(I go to community college), and when I got there, I waited till our prof got there. She gets there and.................. My prof was thankful!

Did you get to punch starfish?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I went to my first class of the day(I go to community college), and when I got there, I waited till our prof got there. She gets there and.................. My prof was thankful!

Did you get to punch starfish?

What?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do some donuts in front of the local PD, and report back. I'm trying to help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

never had a negative experience with law enforcment.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#33]
she must have been  bone-worthy..

myit
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
she must have been  bone-worthy..

myit

kiss me you fool
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

never had a negative experience with law enforcment.  

You can turn a negative experience into a positive one, if the story you post is good enough. Getting your door kicked in and your dog shot would make a GREAT thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is the same attitude one guy had when dealing with the University police in our city.  I was sent to back him up.  Just as I get there, I see this student screaming at the University police officer, "you can't F'in arrest me, you're not even a real cop!"

I guess the student found out that University police officers are in fact real cops.  Afterall, it was the University police officer that arrested him, transported him, and then booked him into the county jail.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow.   Exciting story.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#38]
i want the last 30 seconds of my life back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I read a write up in the Glacier about a MVCC Police Officer that IIRC worked in another department.  

Rent-a-ninja?  I think not!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Depends on the dept. The ones on my campus are sworn officers with full arrest powers, state-wide.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the dept. The ones on my campus are sworn officers with full arrest powers, state-wide.

I think the campus cops can arrest people, but I'm not sure.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Are you the guy who keeps class late because he won't stop asking questions?  

Back in my day we would have kicked your ass!  Instead of class getting canceled, the wannabe teacher's pet calls and gets the door unlocked within minutes!!  I'm sure your classmates were appreciative you asshat!!  Maybe she'll let you pass out the tests.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, envoke the 5min rule and go the fuck somewhere else.  

" The 5min Rule"  If for some reason a proffesor, proctor or any other entity whoes purpose it is to conduct classroom instruction is more than 5 mins late, class is hereby cancelled.  This rule can be applied to any reason that delays the start of class or an exam by more thatn the above mentioned time limit.  

No shit.  My Psych 102 class was cancelled, class was supposed to be at 0845hrs on Teusday Sept, 11th 2001, Thats where I was when that happened, counting down 5 mins.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Lumpy jumps up and down and claps
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't believe I read this freekin thread!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Around here we believe in the "Fifteen minute rule."

Actually, today was also the first time I had a class cancelled.  I went to my History class, one of the women in the class, said "Class is cancelled."  I walk down to the class and sure enough, the "Class is Cancelled" form is taped next to the door.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#47]
This is the most boring ARFCOM-cop interaction thread ever.  You could have at least added a dog and a couple assault rifles to the story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
" The 5min Rule"  If for some reason a proffesor, proctor or any other entity whoes purpose it is to conduct classroom instruction is more than 5 mins late, class is hereby cancelled.  This rule can be applied to any reason that delays the start of class or an exam by more thatn the above mentioned time limit.  

There is no such thing as the 5/10/15/20-minute rule. Never has been, never will be.

I tell my students that I give the same lecture and get paid the same whether they're there or not. Likewiase, they pay the same and are resposnsible for the same material whether I'm there or not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#49]
A friend of mine was a campus cop here in north Texas.  He called me about 2am and told me to get to the school (about 30 minutes away).  It sounded like he was in a tunnel.  Out of boredom he had backed his 4-wheeler into a parking garage elevator and had gotten it stuck and needed me to get down there to help him get it out before his supervisor found out.  Geez.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no such thing as the 5/10/15/20-minute rule. Never has been, never will be.

I was kidding about the "rule." I've never had a prof "not show up to class."

I tell my students that I give the same lecture and get paid the same whether they're there or not. Likewiase, they pay the same and are resposnsible for the same material whether I'm there or not.

Right.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top