Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2008 8:06:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:09:25 AM EST
I was waiting for the "My back is out of whack again because I lifted that darn dehumidifier!"

Good Deals
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:10:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
I've been "down in the back" for two weeks, but today I finally woke up and feel MUCH better. As I'm better, my wife and I are going to go ahead and travel to the farm tonight when she gets off work. It's on the way out of town so I got up this morning and took her to work at 7:00. On the way home I was listening to the local AM radio program where people sell stuff similar to the EE here.

First guy I listened to was selling a NIB pair of $255 Red Wing boots--in my size--for $100. Turns out his union contract forces the company to give everyone a new pair every nine months and he works on a fork truck indoors so his current two y/o pair is doing fine. He decided to turn them into cash.

They happened to be EXACTLY my size--10E, so I left with them, $95 dollars lighter, but I needed a new pair anyway.

As I'm leaving another guy comes on with a dehumidifier for sale. Like new, $60. I drive over there, find out it's a Crosley (good brand) and I leave with it for $50. I'll need one next Spring (needed it this Spring but didn't want to spring for a new one), so now I'm all set, for about 1/3 of retail.

Must be living right.

It's cool finding stuff at the right price!

The highlighted part disturbs me a lot, a whole lot.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:16:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:17:51 AM EST
good buys
but you could be broke before you make it home
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:20:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2008 8:21:03 AM EST by distributor_of_pain]
I flet the same way the other day when I got a hookup on a NIB Eotech 557 for $274

ETA: It's real. His wife works for the company that..something...something..whatever it was...
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:23:09 AM EST
Somehow getting a good deal makes things that much more enjoyable.

And don't worry about 'stealing' the boots.

Willing Buyer + Willing Seller = Capitalism Classic
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:23:37 AM EST
the shoes/boots are considered safety equipment and like safety glasses and gloves the company agreed to provide them. Every 9 mo.s seems pretty quick to replace though.

our company only gives us a $50 dollar credit towards the purchase of steel toe boots (which are optional) I used it towards a $250 pair of Red Wings
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:31:14 AM EST
A company I worked for had to do the same thing. Once a year a semi came out that was a shoe store in the back and everyone got a new pair of shoes at no cost. Well, not really "no cost". The initiation fee to join the union was 100 times your hourly wage and dues were about $50 a month. This was 25 years ago. I was hired as an apprentice at $7 an hour so my initiation fee was $700 (you had a year to pay it), but the employer liked me so much he kept giving me raises and in 6 months I made Journeyman and my hourly wage went to $14. Each time I got a raise the union raised the initiation fee to match my new wage. I left after 10 months owing them as much or more than I did the day I was hired. So the boots were far from free.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:41:42 AM EST
I felt the same way Thursday when I bought this 1954 Colt 1911 for $410.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:08:20 AM EST
GREAT deal on the Redwings, they are the only work boots I buy!!!
Top Top