User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2006 12:53:31 PM EDT
Why does this kind of crap happen?

www.local6.com/news/5813181/detail.html

Man Shoots Two Mormons Going Door To Door

POSTED: 7:57 am EST January 3, 2006

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- A Mormon missionary going door to door was fatally shot Monday night and a fellow missionary was wounded by an assailant who fled, police said.

The attacks happened just after 6 p.m. in the Deep Creek area of the city, police said, when a man approached the two, shot them and ran away.

One of the victims ran to a nearby nursing home seeking help, police said.

The missionaries were identified by church spokesmen Dale Bills and Michael Purdy as Elders Morgan Young, 21, of Bountiful, Utah, and Joshua Heidbrink of Greeley, Colo. Chesapeake police said he is 19.

They were taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where Young later died, spokeswoman Cheri Hinshelwood said. Heidbrink was upgraded to good condition Tuesday morning, she said.

Police described the gunman as a black male about 5 feet 10 inches . They said he was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and denim jeans.

Police shut down part of the neighborhood while searching for the man.

"This is close to home," said Bobby Gatling, who said he has lived on the block for two years. "Nothing like this has ever happened here before."

There was no immediate word on what prompted the shootings.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Last i checked, trespassing and soliciting are illegal in most areas.

Is lethal force warranted? no. Is it legal in some areas? most likely.

Maybe more door to door saleman and religious folks will take notice. They rank up there with spammers, used car salesman, and lawyers.

At least the lawyers and car salesmen redeem themselves from time to time.

(please don't sue me or sell me a lemon, i was just kidding!)

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The world is full of evil people.

Let's hope this guy gets quick justice and a good hanging.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Oh, for goodness sakes!

Get a grip on reality.

Walking and knocking on doors is not a reason for justifiable homocide in any state, nor should it be.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, for goodness sakes!

Get a grip on reality.

Walking and knocking on doors is not a reason for justifiable homocide in any state, nor should it be.

And if you read closely, it sure does not sound like it was a homeowner who did this, but some street punk.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
[liberalparrot]RAWWK! It's the gun's fault! It's the gun's fault! Rawwk![/liberalparrot]

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
... but some street punk.

And what makes you think that? the fact that he was black? wearing jeans? a hooded sweatshirt?

I'm not defending what happened. But i think there should be a stop put to this door to door shit. I don't care what your excuse is. Stay the hell of my property unless you'be been invited.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What if the two missionaries were being particularly forceful and a homeowner thought that they were trying to force their way in?

We had a pair in our Apartment complex (5-6 years ago) that both lived thier and went door to door there.  The complex evicted them after recieving several complaints from residents that the missionaries wouldn't take no for an answer.

It doesn't sound like this is the case here, but who really knows what the story is at this point.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Adn what ameks you think that? the fact that he was black? wearing jeans? a hooded sweatshirt?

I'm not defending what happened. But i think there should be a stop put to this door to door shit. I don't care what your excuse is. Stay the hell of my property unless you'be been invited.

No, this part:

The attacks happened just after 6 p.m. in the Deep Creek area of the city, police said, when a man approached the two, shot them and ran away.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what makes you think that? the fact that he was black? wearing jeans? a hooded sweatshirt?

Must get ugly around your place when a friend is killing time on a Saturday morning and drops by.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does it say anything about the door to door stuff? They were shot by someone who ran off. The "door to door" has nothing to do with this story...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must get ugly around your place when a friend is killing time on a Saturday morning and drops by.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does it say anything about the door to door stuff? They were shot by someone who ran off. The "door to door" has nothing to do with this story...

I think he's advocating preemptive shooting of anyone who seems likely to knock on his door.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're assuming he has a friend.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's advocating preemptive shooting of anyone who seems likely to knock on his door.

I guess...

I usually just tell them that I'm not interested and close the door. I try not to shoot them. If I went around shooting everyone that annoyed me, there'd be a lot of dead people.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think thefact that he shot 2 random people makes him a street punk. What else would you call him?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's for the children....lol...

As for friends randomly stopping by, they always call first. It's a common courtesy. Most people i know do that.

I'm not advocating laying down a barrage of fire to anyone that knocks on your door. I just despise the door to door peddlers, siding/window folks, and religious types.  If i want yor services, I'll ask for them. I don't go door to door trying to push my own personal agendas. Once again, a courtesy that doesn't seem all to common nowadays.  

I think thefact that he shot 2 random people makes him a street punk.

didn't catch that part. got 3 hours of sleep in the past 24 hrs, and am about to start anthoer 12 hour shift. lol...

I'm sure we don't know all the details, but what else is new? lol...

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
But, it worked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
But, it worked.

What "worked"?

A punk kills two innocent young men that are just walking down the street, and you say, "It worked"?

That's not even a funny joke.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a couple of Mormon missionaries stop by this summer, Elder Andersen and Elder Neves.  I invited them inside and spent a good hour talking with them.  I even went so far as to invite them back the following week to continue the discussion.

I think their religion is a ludicrous perversion of Christianity, but I certainly didn't shoot them.  I told them why I thought they were wrong, I told them what I believed (and supported it with their own Bible) and wished them the best.

If you don't want to talk to them, tell them so and shut the door.  No harm, no foul.  No need to get all uppity and start swearing, and certainly no need to shoot them.  How senseless.

-James
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But, it worked.

out of
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Maybe more door to door saleman and religious folks will take notice. They rank up there with spammers, used car salesman, and lawyers.

Quoted:

I need to stock up on ammo now for next halloween, I guess.  Do you take your kids trick-or-treating?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be singing a different tune if your car broke down.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise it's too hard to answer the knock with his pants down, his mouse in one hand and his pecker in the other.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Otherwise it's too hard to answer the knock with your pants down, the mouse in one hand and his pecker in the other.

...With your mom yelling at you to shut the damn door 'cause it's cold out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]
SAd that they got popped.  Though was it a robbery, a random thing, or an outright mormon slaying?  You seem to be hinting that it was due to just being a Mormon, which has not been a reason to kill one since the 1800's.

On a side note, I had a friend that drew down with an old single barrel and fired over the heads of some JW's after one pushed the door open when he was closing it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
SAd that they got popped.  Though was it a robbery, a random thing, or an outright mormon slaying?  You seem to be hinting that it was due to just being a Mormon, which has not been a reason to kill one since the 1800's.

On a side note, I had a friend that drew down with an old single barrel and fired over the heads of some JW's after one pushed the door open when he was closing it.

Mormons are persistant but they do not train them to be idiots.  If you show interest they will usually stay after you, within reason.  By and large, if you can get past the religion angle, these missionaries are good kids.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#28]
A bit harsh, NAM

A kid died for a no good reason, I feel for his family

GM

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#29]
This is all over the news here in Utah.

While I'm sympathetic and angry at the senseless killing I don't know why people who didn't even know the kid are having candle-light vigils.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
A bit harsh, NAM

A kid died for a no good reason, I feel for his family

GM

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have read an in-depth story on this and none of you have the whole thing down (kinda like trying to listen to most Christians go on about the parts of the gospel they have )

The missionaries were out (activity not specified) and they witnessed a man shoot at another man and miss.  The guy turned and shot at the missionaries no less than three times (range unknown) hitting one in the neck and shoulder and the other in the chest (?).  Oddly enough, the one hit twice lived.  I may not have all that right.  But then the guy turns and puts two more into the guy he fired at first.

Completely freaking random.

The truly twisted thing?

The missionary that died was a SHORT TIMER, maybe a few weeks left.  The one that lived had only been there two months.

For some reason I got the impression that this happened after dark, so it is improbable that they were going door-to-door (although I had a jerk zone leader who did) at the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This is all over the news here in Utah.

While I'm sympathetic and angry at the senseless killing I don't know why people who didn't even know the kid are having candle-light vigils.

It's because a lot of people from Utah have a missionary in the family and they relate to the parents of this kid who was gunned down. I certainly do.

.... Wish I could teleport back in time with my AR to where those Missionaries were before the shooting . I'd give the shooter a quick introduction to God.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#32]
They were just white kids in the wrong "hood."

Maybe it was some kind of gang initiation.

"Yo shizzle, go cap the crackers and you can hang."

I hope the asshat is caught and hung.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mormons are persistant but they do not train them to be idiots.  If you show interest they will usually stay after you, within reason.  By and large, if you can get past the religion angle, these missionaries are good kids.

I know they are persistent, and there is no reason that this kid should have been popped.  I am curious as to if it had anything to do with him being mormon, or if it was just a random thing.  The article is unclear, but it seems that some may cling to the Mormon thing like if it were a black kid getting shot by white kids.  Most the mormons I have known were well versed in playing the "victim" card, using their persecution much like a Malcolm X'er uses slavery.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Gang initiation.  Extra points for killing whitey.  

Happened here in my small peaceful town last year where some little mexican (born in mexico) shit felt pressured into stabbing to death a very well liked (by kids and adults) football coach who just had the bad luck of stopping by the school after-hours to drop off the film while the scum and his little gang butt pal were caseing the school to see what they could steal (typical nightly passtime).  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#35]
It amazes me how it is being intimated by some that this young man somehow deserved this.  He was serving his God and his fellow-man at his own expense, taking two years out of his life to do something he saw as a selfless act.

Have any of his detractors done anything remotely similar?  If so, then fire away.

If not, then shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's not even funny.  You need to get the hell off the boards and go back to your Xbox.  I can't believe you think that a 19 year old missionary who's out trying to help people deserves to get shot and killed.

amazing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#37]
There were two Mormon guys that would go into some really dangerous places when I lived on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. There are places that white people cannot go. They would not only go there daily, but survived. They had a few close calls, but continued anyway. They were a lot braver than I would have been. I used to talk to them every now and then because they liked to shoot. Good kids.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
There were two Mormon guys that would go into some really dangerous places when I lived on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. There are places that white people cannot go. They would not only go there daily, but survived. They had a few close calls, but continued anyway. They were a lot braver than I would have been. I used to talk to them every now and then because they liked to shoot. Good kids.

Odds on, Mormon boys are conservative.  Not all of them get to handle weapons, but the percentages are up there.

A few years back the missionaries in Louisville had green tailights on their bikes and got nicknamed 'Martian Mormons' by the black guys around there.  One of them almost got an a$$ whoopin' when he said, 'Hey boys, pass that basketball'.     He had no clue.  One of the guys that knew him had to pull save his butt.  Just never heard that you could insult black guys that way.  West end of Louisville is dangerous for whites in broad daylight, BTW and these guys are out there all the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#39]
My Father -in-law was a Cop / Detective for many years

There was one neighborhood in particular (Roosevelt is the name ) that he would go Door to Door seeking information
He told me "Only two kinds of White People dressed in suit and tie walk around there, the Police and Jehovah's Witnesses "

The shooter probably mistaken the Mormon solicitor for a Police Officer and decided to shoot first

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Extra detail, and my wife called to tell me this so I don't know the news source.

Survivor tells us ....
shooter misses another man, who splits the other way.  Shooter approaches Missionaries and asks if they saw anything.  They said no.  He shot anyway.  

Dark street, hooded and no homicide commited, don't know why he felt compelled, but I'm not naive enough to think that he reasoned it thru.  

They've found the original target, I hope it won't be long till shooter is in custody.

On a side note,  I know there are differences in belief's.  Still, pretty dissappointed at the direction this thread has tended to wander.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, apparently they witnessed a crime that was committed by the Darkman and some of his associates and were eliminated as witnesses, is what some folks are reporting now.

So I don't care how you feel about mormons, I'm one but you are entitled to your beliefs.

However the circumstances are such as could happen to any of us, if Miscreant waste of his parents orgasm thinks you witnessed something they did they could do this to anybody who post here or just minds their own business because your life is worht less than them doing a "Nickel or Dime" in the Joint.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#42]
We've got some real assholes on this website. I can't even believe some of you guys.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#43]

This whole thing is just plain sad. And anyone that thinks someone should be murdered when they are doing nothing wrong is
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#44]
More than likely a member here judging by the way some folks foam at the though of shooting a person.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like an ARFCOM story........
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#46]
As I suspected, shooter was just some street punk.

Updated Story

CHESAPEAKE, Va.  — A man was charged with killing a Mormon missionary and wounding another in a shooting that police believe occurred because the victims had witnessed a crime while they were discussing their religion door-to-door.

James Rickey Boughton Jr., 19, was arrested Wednesday at his Chesapeake home and was being held without bond, police said. He is charged with first-degree murder, and malicious wounding, among other counts.

The missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were shot Monday, and Morgan Winslow Young, 21, of Bountiful, Utah, died Monday evening. Police have not discussed why they believe the victims witnessed an earlier crime.

Police said the second man was 19 but declined to identify him; church spokesmen said he is Joshua Heidbrink of Greeley, Colo.

Scott Heidbrink told The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk that his brother and Young heard shots just before a man ran up to them and started firing. The gunman fled, and Joshua Heidbrink ran to a nursing home for help, Scott Heidbrink said.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#47]
There you go.  The next generation of "Tookies".  Maybe he will author several childrens books while awaiting his fate and plead  for clemency.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

From what the story says, the missionaries witnessed the killer perform a crime, and he killed them to keep them from identifying them.

It seems to be a case of wrong place, wrong time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What if the two missionaries were being particularly forceful and a homeowner thought that they were trying to force their way in?

Read the story.

These two missionaries witnessed the killer commit a crime, from the information I saw here:

"Man charged in shooting of missionaries

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (AP) -- A man was charged with the slaying of one Mormon missionary who had been going door-to-door and the malicious wounding of another, police said Thursday.

James Rickey Boughton Jr., 19, was arrested at 11:45 p.m. Wednesday at his Chesapeake home and was being held without bond in the city jail, police said in a statement.

Boughton was charged with first-degree murder, malicious wounding, attempted malicious wounding and three counts of using a gun during the commission of those felonies.

Further details were not immediately available.

Advertisement

Earlier Wednesday, police said they had found the gun used in the shootings and that they believe the men from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were shot because they witnessed a crime as they went door-to-door, discussing their religion.

Morgan Winslow Young, 21, of Bountiful, Utah, died Monday evening. Police have declined to identify the second man, but church spokesmen said he was Joshua Heidbrink of Greeley, Colo. Police said he is 19.

Heidbrink's brother, Scott, said Tuesday that Joshua Heidbrink and Young heard shots just before a man ran up to them and started firing. The gunman fled, and Heidbrink, who was shot first, ran to a nursing home for help.

---

Information from: The Virginian-Pilot"

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Why let facts get in the way of a good ol' prejudice fueled rant???
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top