Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 11:11:01 PM EDT
My Yugo M70AB2 and PAP 92 are machined better. The milling on the sides of the receiver were uneven and didn't match, the magwell looked like a high school shop student tried to file it square.

I would buy a 700 dollar AK and then give 2000 bucks to a bum to kick my ass if I even thought about buying a Polytech.  As "real" an AK as it is, why do people pay those prices.

On a side note they had an HK P7 M10 40cal squeeze cocker for a little over 3k, NIB
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I never understood the polytech thing either...... I lusted after a polytechnic M14 when i was young until a kind former marine told me to just buy a Springfield....    I have since met people that have gone through several polytech M14s to find a good one.....     glad i never went there......
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
When those Poly Techs first came out you could buy a Valmet M76 for close to $200 less.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When those Poly Techs first came out you could buy a Valmet M76 for close to $200 less.
View Quote
**Old guy voice** "Ah remember when chow mein was .59 cents a plate."

Prices now are outrageous for things that are hard to get...not because they are GOOD..just rare.

Polytechnic look like Polio to me now... Rare, but I don't want that shit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a NIB I fired Lengend for a couple months, sold it for $2600.  It was sweet and didn't show any of the manufacturing issues you have.  I would have wound up shooting it if I would or have kept her.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had a NIB I fired Lengend for a couple months, sold it for $2600.  It was sweet and didn't show any of the manufacturing issues you have.  I would have wound up shooting it if I would or have kept her.
View Quote
I won't deny that it may be a fully functional gun and work like a charm.  Manufacturing-wise...  It looked a bit "Khyber Pass"..

A really quality Polytech.. I would question it's actually geographic origin...versus receiver stamp.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The ONE good thing about Norc/Polytech's is the good quality hammer forged steel receivers.

BUT, the machining and tolerances are trash. A lot of guys here in Canada will buy them then strip them down, replace with USGI parts (and sometimes new barrels) and have a solid shooter.

When you look at an LRB  hammer forged receiver being almost 900 bucks US (1200 CAD) and a brand new Norinco M14 is 700 CAD (a little over 500 USD)

I certainly wouldn't buy it as a shooter piece in the USA due to price inflation. If they were as cheap there as they are here, they're great gunsmithing projects, or starter guns. But that's about as far as it goes
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a NIB Polytech Legend series milled receiver AK47. Mine was finely machined without any of the marks you described. There must be something wrong with the one you looked at. Even the magazines with the chrome follower were smoother and better than the regular AK47 magazines from Norinco and other AK manufacturers of the cheap sheet metal crap. I saw some of the NIB Polytech M14's back in those days and considered buying one. I never did, not even a Springfield M1A. I wished I had now. I've since learned that the Polytech M14 rifles had receivers that were forged and were about as close to original GI milspec forged receiver M14 rifles as you could get. In fact many collectors were buying the Polytech M14 rifles and removing the small parts, barrels, and wood, and rebuilding M14 rifles off of the Polytech M14 receiver. These Polytech M14 rifles sold for $900 NIB back then. I have no interest in the M14 otherwise I would buy one and have it rebuilt with GI parts for as near a genuine M14 (semi) as you could get.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet all the good Polytech stuff is not actually for sale....
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bet all the good Polytech stuff is not actually for sale....
View Quote
I kinda like my poly's

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Like El Camino's now... Either in awesome shape or garbage.  Little in between.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a PT AKS 762 Spiker I bought in 88 as a 18th bday present to myself. It looks nothing like the one you describe and is beautiful. I sent it out of CA early on where it sat in a safe for almost 25 years and it has under 100 rounds through it. I paid just $380 at the time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Ughh..

Speaking of rare AKs, I saw a turbo t3 reweld on a FB group for 3600 a few days ago.  I don't need to spend that kind of money now, but kinda want to see if its still for sale...  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
well if you stumble into a poly tube/galil side folder,...please think of me
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to own a lot of AK's.  I don't any now.

Anyways, I owned a poly post banned milled AK.  It was beautiful.

For that matter, my norinco pre-ban stamped AK was beautiful as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
That is really suprising to hear, they were very nice AK's, not cheap either from what I recall (though I was young, $100 was a ton of money). My Norinco is one of the nicest AKs I own, and I have da Russian, da Polish, and the Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That is really suprising to hear, they were very nice AK's, not cheap either from what I recall (though I was young, $100 was a ton of money). My Norinco is one of the nicest AKs I own, and I have da Russian, da Polish, and the Bulgarian.
View Quote
I should have taken pictures of it.  It was superficially nice, but just.....off.  If you know what I mean. Nothing quite square, nothing quite even.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I like my Polytech . It is nicer than most all other AK's I have looked at. That isn't saying much though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a PT Legends National Match here that is essentially NIB except I no longer have the box.  Flawless machining except for the dings on the stock...wouldnt mind finding new wood for it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which is why I had both. Now I have neither.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a unfired NIB one hid behind my waterbed.
Got rid of it because the shitty checkering on the pistol grip never looked right.

$2600 you say ?

Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a bunch of Chinese AK's back in the day.  IMO, the Russian and Bulgarian guns are nicer. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I have two, a folder and a fixed stock.  Admittedly, the fixed stock has remained NIB and unfired since I picked it up in 1995.  The folder on the other hand, I bought in 2005 and got it out and finally shot it.  One misfire out of a hundred rounds (and I cycled the same piece of ammo through 2 other guns and it would not shoot - obviously bad primer, not gun related).  It shot well, easily the best 100 yard groups of an AK I have shot.  It's machining is good, the underfolder doesn't leave a mark on the lower handguard.  Mine is worth the money to me.  I am thinking about cutting the fixed stock loose after keeping it 22 years.  I have a couple things I am going to part with and see another first generation Colt SAA might be in my future (black powder frame 7-1/2" barrel 45 Colt).
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Polytech Legend under folder about 25 yrs ago for around $600 or so. It also had bad machining marks, pitting and was a rattletrap. I traded it for a couple of revolvers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#24]
@F22_RaptoR

Are the Norinco ARs and handgun clones any good?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Norincos are less desirable.  Stamped.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Norincos are less desirable.  Stamped.
View Quote
Poly also did stamped recievered AK's.  The Chinese imported stamped AK's with the folding spike bayonets are almost all Polytech's.  

The Legend's I've seen are nice for AK's but any AK can't be compared to NATO weapons of the era.  I think the reason why so many people like them is they're the closest thing you can get to a Vietnam war AK their milled receivers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@F22_RaptoR

Are the Norinco ARs and handgun clones any good?
View Quote
@SBR_Slut

The handguns are pretty rough finished, but excellent quality steel is used! If you get one with a nice frame-to-slide lockup, they again make awesome gunsmith projects as they're forged steel using very old Colt forging dies; and IIRC Krupp German steel. If i got one for a recreational shooter, I might want to round off the edges and soften it up then re-blue it; as they're known for some sharp edges.

The AR's are pretty rough finished but I have heard very few issues (mechanically) with them. Great starter AR, although the measurements may require some fitting if you want to swap out handguards, or change a gas block (Huge PITA, as they're tight)

I don't have much experience with their CZ and SIG handgun clones, but handled a few and they seemed not too bad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]
The one I have is pretty decent.

There's no way I'd pay what people want for them now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My Yugo M70AB2 and PAP 92 are machined better. The milling on the sides of the receiver were uneven and didn't match, the magwell looked like a high school shop student tried to file it square.

I would buy a 700 dollar AK and then give 2000 bucks to a bum to kick my ass if I even thought about buying a Polytech.  As "real" an AK as it is, why do people pay those prices.

On a side note they had an HK P7 M10 40cal squeeze cocker for a little over 3k, NIB
View Quote

This? I had to google it, and wow, would not pay 50 bucks for a brand new one even if it came with a complementary blow job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I have never been a huge fan of the Chinese AKs. I think their quality is grossly overstated.

A neighbor of mine years back had one that was unfired (he had a huge gun room, I believe it). I looked it over extensively and for the most part the fit & finish and machining quality were the same or worse than the average WASR.

eta: this was a stamped Norinco Type 56 and not a milled Legend, I missed that part of your post.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have never been a huge fan of the Chinese AKs. I think their quality is grossly overstated.

A neighbor of mine years back had one that was unfired (he had a huge gun room, I believe it). I looked it over extensively and for the most part the fit & finish and machining quality were the same or worse than the average WASR.

eta: this was a stamped Norinco Type 56 and not a milled Legend, I missed that part of your post.
View Quote
I remember seeing some rough ones.  Depended on the importer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@SBR_Slut

The handguns are pretty rough finished, but excellent quality steel is used! If you get one with a nice frame-to-slide lockup, they again make awesome gunsmith projects as they're forged steel using very old Colt forging dies; and IIRC Krupp German steel. If i got one for a recreational shooter, I might want to round off the edges and soften it up then re-blue it; as they're known for some sharp edges.

The AR's are pretty rough finished but I have heard very few issues (mechanically) with them. Great starter AR, although the measurements may require some fitting if you want to swap out handguards, or change a gas block (Huge PITA, as they're tight)

I don't have much experience with their CZ and SIG handgun clones, but handled a few and they seemed not too bad.
View Quote
I've heard that about the steel as well, apparently it can be so hard it becomes difficult to do smithing on (don't know if that applies to current production though).
Same quality steel for the 9mm 1911s?

How do their ARs stack up against Ruger, Anderson etc.? The Norincos are almost as expensive as them now.

Do you know if any more of those 7.62Tok P226 clones will be imported?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I have two.   One was the first AK that I ever bought.  Under folder, well because I wanted one.   A year or so ago I bought another under folder in .223 because the price was right.   I enjoy shooting them, pretty good accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I had a fixed stock Legend a few years back, IIRC I paid around $450 for it.
I kept it for maybe 10 years, shot it maybe 4 times.
It was not as accurate as the Steyr-Daimler-Punch Maadi I had at the time.
Sold it and made some good money.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree. The finish on both Polys and Norincos were worse of any of the imported AKs. I don't understand the attraction.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Legend and quite frankly it is my second nicest AK variant (second to my RK62s).
The milling work is excellent and the bluing is great. Wood looks nice and dark and the gun is very smooth. It does however kick hard relative to my other rifles (very over-gassed maybe).

Great rifle made in a military factory supervised by military folks with 30+ years of experience.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I remember seeing some rough ones.  Depended on the importer.
View Quote
My Legend's finish is nice as far as AK's.  I have a Jing-An that's also pretty nice, and an older Norinco I think that's pretty good too.

I have seen some rougher ones too.  Depends.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I've seen good ones and not so. I had a red Bakelite folder that was excellent in fit and finish.

I still want the import restrictions lifted. Mainly for Daewoo, but I'll take a few Norinco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top