Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2011 7:45:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/10/2011 7:46:16 PM EST by HiramRanger]
Brilliant 9 inch screen, excellent battery life, very accurate with quick updates, runs TomTom perfectly... Don't even need a data plan!

God I love my iPad 3G!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:47:13 PM EST
i'trollin
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:48:09 PM EST
Can you mount it on your windshield?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:48:30 PM EST
Steve Jobs' troll account?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:49:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By pseudojd:
i'trollin

Nope, sharing... A lot of folks don't know it could do this without a data plan. I didn't know until just last week.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:50:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By Quintanaroo:

Someone might make a mount, I just leave it on the passenger seat, display is so big it is easily readable with a quick glance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:51:41 PM EST
My droid X works very well, thank you.

That Iphone screen too small for ya?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:52:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
i'trollin

Nope, sharing... A lot of folks don't know it could do this without a data plan. I didn't know until just last week.

I'm a huge fan. the only problem with ipads is they breed. First he gets one, then she gets one. They need one sooner or later...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:55:17 PM EST
At least you can use that pos for something I suppose..
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:57:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By DigDug:

Nope just an added feature of this amazing device... I didn't bring droid into this thread, you did. I got an android tablet I'll let go cheap, like I'd probably pay you to take that piece of crap off my hands...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:02:14 PM EST
Brilliant 9 inch screen, excellent battery life, very accurate with quick updates, runs TomTom perfectly... Don't even need a data plan!

God I love my iPad 3G!

Should've waited until 5pm today to get one
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:02:49 PM EST

Nope just an added feature of this amazing device... I didn't bring droid into this thread, you did. I got an android tablet I'll let go cheap, like I'd probably pay you to take that piece of crap off my hands...

You make a lot of calls on your IPad. Do you hold it on your shoulder like a boombox?

Just josh'in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:03:11 PM EST

God I love my iPad 3G!

That's cool. I have like.... 5 GPS's and even the oldest, most basic of them (Garmin GPS2, circa 1995 or so) is still pretty amazing. It doesn't do maps, but it does everything more modern units do it just sucks batteries down faster. I still shake my head when I pull it out to play with it every now and again, disbelieving that the capability to put yourself within 20 feet of anywhere you need to go on earth will fit in your hand.

Technology spoils us.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:03:51 PM EST
The iPad is a pretty neat device. A lot more convenient than a laptop to keep around the house. Turns on in seconds, and is lighter too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:15:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By D233:

God I love my iPad 3G!

Thought about it, but I didn't need the camera and it is plenty fast for me... bought it used/like new.

New 16GB 3G would be $629.99 plus tax or $680.39 plus a case at $39.99 plus tax for $43.19 and a screen protector cal it $19.99 plus tax $21.59. Total $745.17

or

Like New from eBay for $408 shipped that included first gen 16GB 3G, case and screen protector.

So for the $337 in savings I'll go with my used one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:19:01 AM EST

Someone might make a mount, I just leave it on the passenger seat, display is so big it is easily readable with a quick glance.

I use one of these with my ipad in the Jeep:

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:25:54 AM EST
I used my laptop before all these little GPS things were popular. Still far better and larger view. I use a Garman now.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:30:12 AM EST
i'trollin

If it has GPS and a navigation app that has cached map data, sho nuff, it can do it.

I wouldn't mind being able to use my Nook that way.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:32:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2011 2:33:50 AM EST by Harvster]
Men don't need little electronic toys to get them where they're going.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:04:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By D233:

God I love my iPad 3G!

Thought about it, but I didn't need the camera and it is plenty fast for me... bought it used/like new.

New 16GB 3G would be $629.99 plus tax or $680.39 plus a case at $39.99 plus tax for $43.19 and a screen protector cal it $19.99 plus tax $21.59. Total $745.17

or

Like New from eBay for $408 shipped that included first gen 16GB 3G, case and screen protector.

So for the $337 in savings I'll go with my used one.

Good deal!

P.S. Want me to run the serial # for ya?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:14:30 AM EST
Yeah, i can wireless tether my gps to my nook color and use navigation on it too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:03:25 AM EST
Looking at the reviews it seems like, for an iphone user, that MotionX Drive would be a better choice. Cheaper too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:16:01 AM EST

Until you accelerate/brake and your nice new iPad goes sliding off the seat, only to crash on your floor ....

Touch PCs are not good for car GPS activities. A Garmin GPS comes with a free mount for a good reason. The mount also lets you take a glance at your GPS without leaving the windshield; do you really want to be looking down into the passenger seat while you're driving?

Buy the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:23:14 AM EST
How does an Ipad do GPS without a data plan?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:24:51 AM EST
What's wrong with the Android tab ?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:24:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By 57Strat:

The same way a Garmin does without data?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:24:58 AM EST

The first time someone cuts you off and you slam on the brakes you're going to wish you had it secured! Good purchase though, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:41:13 AM EST

+1

I bought a 16 g. one for $100 off the other day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:45:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By cannonfodder:

I have an ipad. Please explain how to do it. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:46:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By cannonfodder:

I have an ipad. Please explain how to do it. Thanks

TomTom app?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:57:21 AM EST

The wifi only iPads don't have a GPS chip. Only the 3G iPads have the GPS chip in them. If you have a wifi-only iPad, you can get small bluetooth GPS receivers that will work with the iPad.

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/05/05/whats-the-difference-between-the-3g-and-wifi-only-ipad/

Although both iPad versions support location services, only the 3G model has built-in GPS. Both units are able to determine your location based on WiFi triangulation but the 3G model adds a dedicated Broadcom GPS chip which provides a more accurate location fix. The built-in GPS is also able to determine your location even when you are out of range of WiFi signals, for example when you are out in a field using your cool new iPad Star Walk app.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:16:54 AM EST
I would not trust using wifi for triangulation - or anyone who says it works reliably.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:21:47 AM EST

i'trollin

Bet it doesn't give you free traffic?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:26:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By KG5S:
What's wrong with the Android tab ?

2.2 and below really weren't meant for tablets.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:00:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By stockshift:

Until you accelerate/brake and your nice new iPad goes sliding off the seat, only to crash on your floor ....

Touch PCs are not good for car GPS activities. A Garmin GPS comes with a free mount for a good reason. The mount also lets you take a glance at your GPS without leaving the windshield; do you really want to be looking down into the passenger seat while you're driving?

Buy the right tool for the job.

I have several standard gps units mom, but thanks... So your eyes never leave the front windshield? Don.t ever look over your shoulder while switching lanes? I was taught to scan my surroundings while driving. The screen is so large I can pick up all the information I need with my regular eye sweep of my surroundings.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:14:55 AM EST

There are a few mounts out there. This one is kinda spendy, but looks like it would perform well..

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/mount/valet-2.html

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:15:14 AM EST
I have several standard gps units mom, but thanks... So your eyes never leave the front windshield? Don.t ever look over your shoulder while switching lanes? I was taught to scan my surroundings while driving. The screen is so large I can pick up all the information I need with my regular eye sweep of my surroundings.

Your mirrors are not adjusted correctly. Read "Drive to Survive", by Curt Rich (SCCA champion and IPSC shooter). You should not need to look over your shoulder to change lanes.

Once your mirrors are adjusted correctly you can scan your surroundings properly. You can see into your rear-view mirror and the side mirrors and there will be no blind spots.

Looking down into the passenger seat is asking for trouble. You may as well be texting as you drive.

PS go clean your room or you ain't gettin no dessert.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:16:58 AM EST

i'trollin

Well how is it done then? And if you don't need a dataplan, can I use my non-3G one?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:17:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2011 9:21:32 AM EST by Dog1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:18:21 AM EST

I like Apples hardware but I hate their software. Why do you like the ipad so much better than the android one?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:18:43 AM EST

Your mirrors are not adjusted correctly. Read "Drive to Survive", by Curt Rich (SCCA champion and IPSC shooter). You should not need to look over your shoulder to change lanes.

Once your mirrors are adjusted correctly you can scan your surroundings properly. You can see into your rear-view mirror and the side mirrors and there will be no blind spots.

Looking down into the passenger seat is asking for trouble. You may as well be texting as you drive.

Driving for 23 years, no tickets, no accidents... But thanks for your concern

Pretending that mirrors can be adjusted on all makes and models to eliminate all blind spots is a fallacy... Cars are built differently, people are built differently, nothing replaces eyes on.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:19:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By OlCrow:
I used my laptop before all these little GPS things were popular. Still far better and larger view. I use a Garman now.

http://4-riders.com/frankenberg/laptop005.jpg

http://4-riders.com/frankenberg/laptop006.jpg

Thats how I was doing it too, the wife got me one of the big screen Garmins now so I retired the old laptop.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:29:29 AM EST
i have you all beat. i bought a used acer netbook last week for $159 and threw in a 320 gig hdd for $58. 6 cell batt for long life and it has a KEYBOARD with a 10 inch screen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:41:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By madmathew:

I like Apples hardware but I hate their software. Why do you like the ipad so much better than the android one?

For me, it's the apps, quality control, and stability that make Apple > Android. There's are good, quality iOS apps for damn near everything I need and many things that I don't need. There are apps for everybody from dumbasses to rocket scientists. You can be a newbie and a technophobe or you can be a hardcore power user and the iPhone is usable for both and everybody in between. I'm getting an iPad 2 but have been using a jailbroken iPhone 3GS for the past year and a half. I use the heck out of my iPhone every day and have significant plans on how I'll be using my iPad when I get it. I've used several different Android phones from some of my coworkers and employees and hated all of them and am skeptical Android will overcome the issues I saw with the phones on the tablets. Most of the Android user interfaces sucked. Stability and speed were issues on some of the devices. There are 20,000+ employees where I work and IT is not interested in investigating deploying Android devices due to fragmentation of the devices and the OS. There have been discussions between IS and Apple regarding the type of enterprise functionality that they would like to see in future devices and iOS versions.

I do understand the hate that some guys have for Apple, though. I would be pissed off if I had to use the iPhone in its non-jailbroken form.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:13:58 AM EST

Pretending that mirrors can be adjusted on all makes and models to eliminate all blind spots is a fallacy... Cars are built differently, people are built differently, nothing replaces eyes on.

Past performance is no indicator of future performance.

If nothing replaces eyes on, do you turn your head 180 degrees when a normal person would check their rear view mirror? That line of argument buys you nothing.

I get that you're smugly satisfied with your shiny new toy. Lots of people are overly proud of their possessions, and that's fine. Just don't try to hoodwink us into believing that it's a good solution for driving. The flaws are clear to anyone who has a modicum of concern for traffic safety.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:27:21 AM EST

Not all cars are created equal, and some have worse blind spots than others. Checking over the shoulder is good practice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:30:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By OlCrow:

http://4-riders.com/frankenberg/laptop005.jpg

http://4-riders.com/frankenberg/laptop006.jpg

+1
delorme maps or something like that it was called.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:30:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:

i'trollin

Well how is it done then? And if you don't need a dataplan, can I use my non-3G one?

My guess is the maps are stored locally.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:33:45 PM EST

Past performance is no indicator of future performance.

If nothing replaces eyes on, do you turn your head 180 degrees when a normal person would check their rear view mirror? That line of argument buys you nothing.

I get that you're smugly satisfied with your shiny new toy. Lots of people are overly proud of their possessions, and that's fine. Just don't try to hoodwink us into believing that it's a good solution for driving. The flaws are clear to anyone who has a modicum of concern for traffic safety.

Give me a break, ever look down to change your radio station or grab a CD? My eyes continually sweep from the driver side mirror through the front windshield up to the rearview mirror to the passenger side mirror and back. While my eyes are passing across a roughly 180 degree field of view it happens to check the pad for a second. I guess all those cops getting routing directions on a laptop as the scream down the road to a call are causing bajillions of accidents on a daily basis. What? They're not. Hmmmmmmm. But again, thanks for your concern.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:35:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:

Not all cars are created equal, and some have worse blind spots than others. Checking over the shoulder is good practice.

How dare you question the great stockshift! Be silent you... he assures use there is no such thing as a blindspot and you only ever need your mirrors! He doesn't even need those because his eyes never deviate from straight ahead with his hands forming a deathgrip on the steering wheel at 10 and 2!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:39:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2011 2:41:16 PM EST by wildearp]

Mine is 18", stubby.

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and my laptop. (It looks like OlCrow uses it too)

You can save cities, maps, points of interest (gunstores in out of town areas of ops) etc. It is a very useful tool, comes with the antenna, and is well under $100. If you carry a laptop everywhere you go, this is an excellent product.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top