Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2016 11:12:23 PM EST
Yes, was given the shot a couple years ago, but now have Shingles on my face anyway. It's not to supposed to be as bad as regular Shingles, nor last as long. I wonder if I should sue somebody. The woman of the house had a knee replacement, so we can look forward to a quiet Christmas at home.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:18:27 PM EST
Unfortunately the Merck vaccine is only about 50% effective.

GSK has a vaccine in development that has been substantially more effective than that in clinical trials, but it's not FDA approved yet.

WebMD story about shingles vaccines
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:18:30 PM EST
You have no grounds to sue
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:21:08 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PepeTheGreat:
View Quote

Obviously, because shingles are on the roof.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:23:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:

View Quote

Yep sounds like you got siding on your face, refund at the very least

Hope you feel better anyway , No suit
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:39:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 12:40:26 AM EST by Maersk]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:44:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By Flyboy77:
Yes, was given the shot a couple years ago, but now have Shingles on my face anyway. It's not to supposed to be as bad as regular Shingles, nor last as long. I wonder if I should sue somebody. The woman of the house had a knee replacement, so we can look forward to a quiet Christmas at home.
View Quote

Any attorney with a brain in their head (I know that still leaves a few) would laugh you out of his office. You have no basis for suing. 

The vaccine does not guarantee that you won't get shingles. It greatly reduces your chances of getting shingles. If you do get them (and sorry you did), the case is typically more mild and resolves more quickly. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:46:34 AM EST

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PepeTheGreat:

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:48:04 AM EST
If you haven't yet, get to a doctor. Acyclovir? will stop the progression of the rash.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:57:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:10:34 AM EST
Friend of mine got shingles. It took them almost two years to figure it out because it presented as cardiac problems. He has to keep a bottle of tylenol 3s at work, and we've had to give him a couple of rides home.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:19:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By LowBeta:
Friend of mine got shingles. It took them almost two years to figure it out because it presented as cardiac problems. He has to keep a bottle of tylenol 3s at work, and we've had to give him a couple of rides home.
View Quote

I've never heard of shingles presenting with cardiac symptoms. What were his symptoms and how did they determine his cardiac problems were correlated with or caused by his shingles?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:50:49 AM EST
You probably got it from a public bathroom toilet seat. Should've used the paper cover thingy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:57:36 AM EST
Midwest I see. Wrestler by chance? Rugby? May not be shingles. Look up herpes gladiatorum.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:22:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 2:27:26 AM EST by LowBeta]
Originally Posted By eastonj:

I've never heard of shingles presenting with cardiac symptoms. What were his symptoms and how did they determine his cardiac problems were correlated with or caused by his shingles?
View Quote

Thoracic joint inflamation. Feels Like: heart attack, chest/rib pain, focused on sternum, maybe off to one side [its been a few years and it wasn't me]. Atypical as hell. They determined the cause:effect by several $10ks of diagnostics after several wambulance rides. I was peripheral to the whole shitty sleigh ride. poor guy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:42:33 AM EST
I had shingles, I guarantee you that is is no fun. Back then they didn't have a vaccine. The only drug they had was Cyclovar, which only lessens the symptoms.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:58:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Yeah--keep it away from the eyes. Best wishes, OP--it's a "suck"situation for sure.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By carnagey:
If you haven't yet, get to a doctor. Acyclovir? will stop the progression of the rash.

Yeah--keep it away from the eyes. Best wishes, OP--it's a "suck"situation for sure.

This!!!! My dad recently had shingles on his face. It spread to his eye. The doctors are doing what they can, but he still may lose that eye.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:59:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:18:28 AM EST
I had it a few years ago, in my 30s. Right after a DTAP shot combined with yellow fever or one of the nasties we always get. The good news is valtrex and steriods cleared it up in a jiffy, no scarring or residual effects.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:32:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By MtnWest:
Midwest I see. Wrestler by chance? Rugby? May not be shingles. Look up herpes gladiatorum.
View Quote

OMG.

Shingles vaccine is typically only for adults, typically well after 50.

So.... Chances are slim he's wrestling.

Plus I don't think that HG presents in a dermatomal pattern or with pain.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:04:10 AM EST
Go to the doc ASAP and get the Valtrex/ Acyclovir scrip. That shit can blind you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:55:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

This!!!! My dad recently had shingles on his face. It spread to his eye. The doctors are doing what they can, but he still may lose that eye.
View All Quotes

I had shingles all over the left side of my face. Left eye was the worst--steroid drops really helped to prevent scarring, but I still ended up with my lower eyelid scarred on the inside, plus some 'rough' areas where my cornea meets the sclera. Ten years later it's just starting to present and cause contact lens irritation, I'm probably going to have to give up contacts for good.

My face is fucked, left side is all Edward James Olmos-ed.

Take whatever anti virals and steroids they suggest, the residual nerve pain is a bitch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:58:39 AM EST
No wrestling for me. The doc gave me Valacyclovir and Gabapentin. Said to come back if it gets closer to my eye. I still wanna sue somebody, otherwise what good is it living in a litigious society?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:32:47 AM EST

View All Quotes

I got shingles in my eye at about 12 years old. That was some major suckage let me tell ya.

It would flare up every couple years. As an adult, I've only had 3 or 4 outbreaks and those were due to extreme stress and were not as severe as when I was a kid, thankfully.

Wishing the best for you OP.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:34:41 AM EST

View Quote

I had good luck with a steroid ointment, Stoxil. But it's not made any more. I forget the last steroid I got but there's only a few opthimolic (sp) steroids from what I gather.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:36:50 AM EST
Had a customer who's husband is a Dr tell me the other day she got the shot and got the shingles one week later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:38:17 AM EST
Enjoy your valtrex! That's always fun to pick up at the pharmacy. I SWEAR TO GOD ITS FOR MY SHINGLES! "yeah here's your herpes medicine you perv!" 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:39:22 AM EST
I got 'em back 40 years ago when I was 20 years old.
All along the right side edge of my rib cage.
Painful as hell, but I got over it fairly quickly and and luckily haven't been afflicted since.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:40:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 10:54:21 AM EST by VACaver]
I had it on my waist years ago. The doc told me to put Capzacin HP on it. Said it would burn when applied, but the capsaicin in it would dry the blisters out quicker.

He was right...IT BURNED LIKE A SONOFABITCH!!!!!! But it did clear things up rather quickly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:13 AM EST
No wrestling for me. The doc gave me Valacyclovir and Gabapentin. Said to come back if it gets closer to my eye. I still wanna sue somebody, otherwise what good is it living in a litigious society?
View Quote

I'm currently on Gabapentin for nerve pain from ulnar nerve transposition surgery. I am barely able to function as a normal human being most of the day. Good luck and hope you don't have to deal with as many side affects as I do. It is a very very weird drug that some can tolerate and others cannot. I'm stuck with it for now since our BC pretty much refuses to cover any other similar drugs for this nerve condition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:44:25 AM EST

Thoracic joint inflamation. Feels Like: heart attack, chest/rib pain, focused on sternum, maybe off to one side [its been a few years and it wasn't me]. Atypical as hell. They determined the cause:effect by several $10ks of diagnostics after several wambulance rides. I was peripheral to the whole shitty sleigh ride. poor guy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eastonj:

Dang.

i ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Anything else that causes that type of inflammation?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:48:04 AM EST
Just wondering, I don't think that I had chickenpox as a kid, what happens if you get the shingles shot? Can it give you chicken pox or shingles eventually?
To the best of my knowledge I did not have chicken pox growing up, I had measles, German Measles, mumps on both sides. But unless one of the measles was misdiagnosed, no chicken pox.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:50:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 10:51:29 AM EST by onealphay2k]
I was lucky as I only got it on my torso along one of my ribs. It reminded me of road rash I received on the other side years ago. They gave me the vaccine when I went to the doctors as it had only been a couple days. If I had to guess the cause I would say stress, but who knows. I hope it never comes back. Scotch seemed to help me sleep. Good luck and watch the eye.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:58:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By ztug:
Just wondering, I don't think that I had chickenpox as a kid, what happens if you get the shingles shot? Can it give you chicken pox or shingles eventually?
To the best of my knowledge I did not have chicken pox growing up, I had measles, German Measles, mumps on both sides. But unless one of the measles was misdiagnosed, no chicken pox.
View Quote

The shingles vaccine is a modified live (weakened) virus, and while the chances are small, if you have a compromised or weak immune system there is a small chance the vaccine could make you sick.
The intent of the vaccine is to 'prime' or 'kick-start' your body's immune system against the virus, however it seems that the vaccine is only about 50% effective.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:59:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:
I was lucky as I only got it on my torso along one of my ribs. It reminded me of road rash I received on the other side years ago. They gave me the vaccine when I went to the doctors as it had only been a couple days. If I had to guess the cause I would say stress, but who knows. I hope it never comes back. Scotch seemed to help me sleep. Good luck and watch the eye.
View Quote

torso here too. got lucky as i see the face cases are horrible and make people miserable.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:04:53 AM EST
View Quote

I wonder if you should be thankful that you got the shot so that the shingles wont be as bad instead of being a whiny little bitch. People like you are what is wrong with the world.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:56:26 AM EST
This vaccine is only made to make $$
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:10:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:31:39 PM EST
sorry to hear that. I got shingles in my mid 30's. got sick with the flu for about a week, had an audit going on at work and was too busy and stressed to take off, started feeling better, then got a cold felt like crap for 3 days, started feeling better and wham....broke out in shingles, dr said it was from the stress and being sick lowering my resistance. it sucked, lasted about 8 days if I recall. doctor gave be a drug to take which I guess helped but didn't seem like it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:35:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 12:35:43 PM EST by JavaHiGH]
You have my sympathy, OP.  I got shingles when I was in 6th grade over the back right side of my head.  Easily still the worst pain I have ever experienced.  I remember sleeping on my left side and my blanket touching my hair on the right was enough to wake me with pain like my head was on fire.  I hope you recover quickly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:36:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:38:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By pivoproseem:
Go to the doc ASAP and get the Valtrex/ Acyclovir scrip. That shit can blind you.
View Quote

Yes it can if it gets in your optic nerve.

I just had the shingles about two weeks ago and it was on my face and scalp. My doc was very concerned with my eye and I went to the opthamologist and was checked out. Luckily it did not get in my eye and mine was a mild case. Got on valtrex and it cleared up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:16:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 3:23:28 PM EST by tnriverluver]
I have one customer, very attractive 30 something female that told me she had had the shingles 40 times now. I have to explain to my customers that I am not quite myself usually because of the gabapentin and that is what brings it up since she also has to take the drug. Shit must be horrible and pray I never have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:45:54 PM EST

View Quote

No shit...if it gets near your eyes, hit the ER. That's the advice I was given here when I got it under my eye, and I did, and every doc I talked to said I did the right thing. You'll get a max serving of Valtrex and they'll send you home with a prescription for a powerful pain killer...apparently if it does get into the eye, it's horribly painful, so they want you prepared.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:51:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By onealphay2k:
View Quote

Same here...road rash, carpet burn, both really good descriptions of the pain.

Not many problems scotch doesn't help with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:59:03 PM EST
It can be super painful. I was seeing an M.D. And an Opthamologist since it was in my face and eye. M.D. gave me a scrip for SIX Roxicet, said to take Tylenol once they were gone. Opthamologist gave me a scrip for 50 Oxy, and after three days I came to my next appointment and said they didn't work, was there anything else I could try. I told her I wasn't trying to score pills, I seriously was in agony and the Oxy didn't even phase it. She doubled my scrip, told me to take two at a time. I also did hot compresses, using a flannel diaper soaked in a solution of 1:4 white vinegar/water as HOT as I could stand--I mean damn near scalding hot. It helped with the pain. The Valtrex and Prednisone drops helped but it was a good two weeks before it went away.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:05:00 PM EST
Get the flu shot. It doesn't work either....
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:43:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 4:44:50 PM EST by gmill]
Did the Vac give you the shingles?  If yes, file a claim below:
https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/
National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program provides financial compensation to individuals
who file a claim and are found to have been injured by a VICP-covered vaccine.

ETA:  Note: Herpes zoster (shingles) vaccine is not a VICP-covered vaccine.

You have no case with this program...sorry
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:40:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:59:09 PM EST
I was on a golf trip with my buddy / doctor and saw a shingles vaccine commercial. I asked him if I should get that? His response was not until you are 60 when insurance will cover it. Three months later I got shingles. Get an anti-viral from your doc. It cleared me up in a few days. My son got shingles when he was a couple years old. The pediatrician thought it was diaper rash. A friend who was a dermatologist put him on an anti-viral almost 30 years ago and it cleared him up in a couple days as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:25:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

It's not the optic nerve you have to worry about. The herpes virus attacks the cornea, and creates a condition called Herpetic Keratitis. It can leave the cornea VERY badly scarred, and the patient completely blind.

Herpes is a neurotropic virus, and directly involves the nerves. The pain can be very severe, and even permanent (a condition called post-herpetic neuralgia). Post-herpetic neuralgia is a really nasty chronic-pain condition, and can literally be the Suffering of Job.

So take your Valtrex.

All of it.
View Quote

He speaks the truth. I knew an elderly woman who developed permanent neuralgia in the costal nerves. So painful she could not wear a bra and could not bear to have clothes touch her skin.

She had tried everything from steroid shots, anti-virals, anti-inflams, nerve ablasion, etc; she was suicidal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top