Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/27/2003 3:04:06 PM EDT
My father is a DWCO for the PA Fish&Boat Comm. He works alonside the PA Game Comm often and is one of those guys that just knows everyone who is anyone. Well he got me a job offer, along with my brother, as a Deputy WCO with the PA Game Comm. We do a ride along next week. No I have been suspect of police types since I was old enough to drive. But, this is something I really have a passion for. I am a dedicated hunter with a strong belief in fair chase and I hate slob hunters. On the other hand I would most likely be working opening day of rifle season. The first in my life. Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:17:20 PM EDT
The Magic 8-Ball says: "Reply hazy, try again."
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:23:43 PM EDT
If it's a paying gig ,and you can believe in what you may have to do to some strange hunter types(maybe even a few of your friends) then I say Hell Yes!! Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:43:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Valkyrie: No I have been suspect of police types since I was old enough to drive. But, this is something I really have a passion for. Any advice?
View Quote
Do it and you will find 90% of your "suspicions" unfounded and also find that a large majority of LEOs do the job for the very reason you feel drawn to it. Be safe!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2003 3:45:08 PM EDT by FiveO]
PLUS, it is damned fun and membership does have the occassional perk!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:49:08 PM EDT
It will be a great experience for you, & something to add to your resume for any future LEO type applications. Just don't be a freaking game Nazi. Use a little mercy on the folks who make an honest mistake, or who are not way over the line. Even if you hate slob hunters, sometimes things aren't as they appear.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:35:11 PM EDT
Great advice Thanx all! FiveO, my dad has been in this gig since he retired from the electric company 12 years ago and the perks are good. He hasn't been issued a traffic ticket since he started and he gets to shoot with some of the local PD's even though he's not really into shooting much. He used to shoot a lot, trap, pistol, all competitively but he turned his post-retirement hobby interests towards travel... lot's of it. He's up in New England for the holiday for a reunion with his old Navy buddies and to see the Blue Angels. Anyway I'm gonna look into it. It sounds like a good gig. No, I'm not planning on being some game nazi. With all the goofy game laws in PA I would expect there's lot's of time where people can't help but mess them up. I know I have. I like it because it would give me an excuse to be out in the woods really and maybe get me access to some prime hunting land that is otherwise off limits(I can hope, right?). Plus, I like the idea of helping to keep the sport clean and a viable resource for my kids and so on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:23:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:28:52 PM EDT
In all my years in the great PA outdoors, I've never happened upon a bunch of folks out in the great wide open blsating away. Not that folks don't do it and there's nothing wrong with it, I've always wondered why I have read so much about people setting up in a remote place and having a blast in other states but never PA. From what I understand in PA random shooting is illegal but if you have a backstop and the bullet cannot travel 15 feet beyond the target you are good to go. I wonder if that applies to state forests and public land here in PA or just private property. The public ranges administered by the PCG limit you to 3 rds in the gun at all times.
Top Top