Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 3:22:47 AM EDT
My daughter is in 9th grade, taking algebra.

Her math teacher had just finished grading the day's papers and called me at home.

She was passing on the message that my daughter could sleep in this morning because she exempted her algebra mid-term!!!

She's always been good in math - she didn't get it from me.  When I was finishing my first associate degree I needed an algebra class.  I sat in the front row, took thorough notes, transcribed my notes as soon as I got home so I could understand them the next day, studied, did and did all my homework.

I earned that C!  I was proud of that C because of all the work I put into it!

So, this girl is making me proud.  I'll have to do something special for her this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Get it in writing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! On another math related note, I will see if I fail my Calc II final in about an hour.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get it in writing.

Yes... CYA
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get it in writing.

big old one, My english teacher did that crap to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]

On another math related note, I will see if I fail my Calc II final in about an hour

Ah Calc 30+ years out andi still use it!!! Don't feel bad one of my students is working on his college Math....only he is 10....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh math. My arch-nemesis. I can do the necessary math, however Algebra and anything beyond it are no go's. Due to this fact i failed math and did not get my degree this semster. Nor will i get it period. Two years down the drain and nothing to show for it.

Congrats to your little girl.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Grats, but I personally do not think it wise to allow you kid to skip tests. If she know the material, she gets 100%, but test taking also teaches one to operate mentally under stress. Something that is helpful in other classes as well.

My kid is a math whiz also, and is on the the second phase of the Mi math competition. He also now math tutors for $10 bucks an hour. Push your kid in math to strive to go above the teachers requirements, I'd bet she was exempted so as to change the curve to allow the other kids to more easily pass.  

Again grats, but don't let the teacher take education opportunities away because she is gifted in an area.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Congrats! On another math related note, I will see if I fail my Calc II final in about an hour.

Brohawk: Congrats to your daughter!

ctprelude: Ohhhhhhhhh......I remember those days!.........ouch!
                 Integrals and derivatives of Trig functions.....right?
                 I've still got the scars from that class!

While we are talking academics.........I did pass BOTH of my Medical Boards last month!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
It's weird,I'm good with math to a point. I can do the basics very well and doing large addition ( like 3+5 .. ) or division is pretty easy. I'm also able to remember large numerical codes like account numbers ,combinations etc. However,that is where it ends. I took basic algebra back when I was in tech school and worked my absolute hardest,studied for hours,had a tutor,went to study groups,took all kinds of crazy notes,asked the teacher for help,everything I could think of to pass,I didn't.
I guess I just wasn't supposed to be what I wanted.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I use all kinds of math on a daily basis..Calc, trig, algebra.

I never scored well in classes, but in the real world (mech engineering) I can do it with my eyes closed.

Good on your daughter for doing well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Sweet! Good for your daughter!

It's a love/hate with me.

College Algebra: B
Calc1: C
Calc2:C
Differential Equations: D
Linear Algebra: A
Statistics and Probability: D
Laplace and Fourier Analysis: A

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get it in writing.

yup.....don't get played like a fool
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Greetings Fellow Engineer!

L&FA gave it away,
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Greetings Fellow Engineer!

L&FA gave it away,

yup.   EE  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wait till calc III.

Yet to figure out how I passed that class. I don't think I could do any of the problems I was given in that class if they were placed in front of me. Glad I stopped there, but from who I talked to they all said at least at my college that calc III was harder than DIFF EQ.

My Math grades are as follows (not that anyone cares):

Calc2: B
Calc3: C
Linear Algebra: B
Statistics and Probability: A
Discrete Math I: B
Discrete Math II: C
Discrete Math III: (AKA Computer Science Theory): C

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]

I got a call from my daughter's math teacher last night...

Somehow, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Is the teacher hot?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I hate math. I know enough to balance my check book and do basics pretty well. I'm good at remembering numbers and can figure out percentages pretty well and not bad at some fractions.  But start throwing letters, puncuation and power in there and I'm lost.

Kudo's to your daughter.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted: She was passing on the message that my daughter could sleep in this morning because she exempted her algebra mid-term!!!
Congrats to your daughter! I'd still let her take the mid-term. There's no substitute for having the "rubber meet the road".
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ah Calc 30+ years out andi still use it!!! Don't feel bad one of my students is working on his college Math....only he is 10....

I've found Geometry is about the only math I have to use often as an adult, and I have to do some pretty critical math and time calculations as part of my job sometimes.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Congrats to your daughter Brohawk! Math and I parted ways around the 5th grade. Only thing that saved my bacon was drafting class from the 8th grade on. That helped my math skills more than anything else.

Quoted:
From someone who found high school easy.  High school was easy for me, no studying required, cruise right through with no effort.  I also had no need to develop organizational skills or study habits.  Then when off into college where some studying was needed, no such skill set existed.

Good luck with the marginally gifted.

God Dave, that sounds just like me. Loved it then, hate it now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is the teacher hot?

+1! Post pics!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

College Algebra: <excepted>
Calc1: A
Calc2:F F <skipped>
Differential Equations: B
Statistics and Probability:C
Laplace and Fourier Analysis: B

EE/ComSci Here too.  I just couldn't memorize  the models for Calc II, I did them my own way.  Got the right answers, but didn't use the models in the front of the book.  Advisor told me to just go to DiffEq, so I did.  

College Algebra: <excepted>
Calc2: C
Differential Equations: C
Linear Algebra: C
Neumarical Methods: C+
Laplace and Fourier Analysis(for me this was actually 2 different classes): B+

Maybe I shouldn't become an engineer...lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ahhh math. My arch-nemesis. I can do the necessary math, however Algebra and anything beyond it are no go's. Due to this fact i failed math and did not get my degree this semster. Nor will i get it period. Two years down the drain and nothing to show for it.

Do it again.  Get the paper.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it again.  Get the paper.

Easier said than done. By state law i cannot take the course again. You see, this was my fourth time in the class. The first time i had some family issues (deaths and what not), then the other two times were due to military related incidents. So my final attempt was indeed my first. So according to the state. No more. Oh well. Moving on.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait till calc III.

Yet to figure out how I passed that class. I don't think I could do any of the problems I was given in that class if they were placed in front of me. Glad I stopped there, but from who I talked to they all said at least at my college that calc III was harder than DIFF EQ.

My Math grades are as follows (not that anyone cares):

Calc2: B
Statistics and Probability: A
Discrete Math I: B
Discrete Math II: C
Discrete Math III: (AKA Computer Science Theory): C

Well assuming I passed, I will be done with calc other than whatever amount is in statistics next semester.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#32]
The angle of the dangle =?
Is it the mass of the ass. I think.
That's about all I can fathom.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Low Dow Broke A$$ Show.
Murphy’s law applies to everyone, just more to me!!!
Semper Fi!! To all my brothers in the AO!!!!ZIP
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get it in writing.

Yes... CYA

I just called home and talked with her (my daughter - she had a half day today).

Everything is cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top