Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:35 AM EDT
My prediction, Home Depot will fold. Without the commercial sales that kept them going for years, they obviously do not have the marketing or management saavy to keepthem up and running throughout this economic storm unlike Menards and Lowes. I predict HD will fold in this area with Menards taking up the slack in the market share.

Home Depot hasn't been a well run company since it was taken over from the founders years ago. Stores are dead, filthy, employees all hanging out in fron of the store smoking cigarettes. Ignorant employees who haven't sent 5 minutes learning anything about the building trades, etc.

It's hard to keep a fleet of 50k sf box stores open selling flowers to fat housewives.

Unless there is a major turn-around in the construction world, which won't happen for years, HD is over.

Just my guess.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:42 AM EDT
Won't somebody think of the children illegals?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:29:21 AM EDT
Too big to fail
Bailout money is headed their way
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:30:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RightwingNutjob:
Too big to fail
Bailout money is headed their way

I fear that. HD needs to be allowed to collapse. A better company will emerge and fill the slack.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:30:26 AM EDT
Lowes FTW!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:30:27 AM EDT
That describes both HD and Lowes here in OK. I just roll the dice when I have to get home supplies because both offer an equally suck-ass experience. The one redeeming quality about Lowe's is that their Kobalt tools are decent. I don't even recall what tool brand HD carries.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:27 AM EDT
Just for the record, I am a professional Carpenter/Builder and Lowes in useless for the pros. Great place for homeowners, useless for me.

Lowes has done a great job filling a niche to people who really need some assistance and they provide a nice neat shopping experience.

HD doesn't provide really anything anymore except piss tested ignorant lesbian staffers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By patriot73:
Home Depot hasn't been a well run company since it was taken over from the founders years ago. Stores are dead, filthy, employees all hanging out in fron of the store smoking cigarettes. Ignorant employees who haven't sent 5 minutes learning anything about the building trades, etc.

Home Depots around here are nothing like that, parking lot is always full, store is clean, employees are knowledgeable and friendly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GC7:
That describes both HD and Lowes here in OK. I just roll the dice when I have to get home supplies because both offer an equally suck-ass experience. The one redeeming quality about Lowe's is that their Kobalt tools are decent. I don't even recall what tool brand HD carries.

Same in Texas
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:14 AM EDT

I've actually heard some decent things about the Kobalt tools but haven't had any in my hand yet.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:35:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 5:39:32 AM EDT by mattja]
New residential construction is almost dead, bank-financed remodeling is almost dead as banks are no longer free and easy with the money, and people are delaying home improvement projects due to uncertainty and fear of losing their jobs.

Home Depot may not die immediately, but they need to consolidate and close any store that is unprofitable. If they don't, they will fail.

As far as the stores themselves, I was at the East Palo Alto store a couple of years ago and it was a disaster. Product thrown about, returns put back on the shelf with missing parts and stuff like that. Horribly run, a total disaster.

I think they threw up a lot of new stores in boom areas, and now that the boom is over, those new stores are failing. No new housing is being built in those areas, foreclosures dominate, no remodeling/improvements, and the still have the employees that were hired because they could breathe. Those stores are in jeopardy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:38:24 AM EDT
I do most of my shopping at Home Depot. Much better electrical section.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:39:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mattja:
New residential construction is almost dead, bank-financed remodeling is almost dead as banks are no longer free and easy with the money, and people are delaying home improvement projects due to uncertainty and fear of losing their jobs.

Home Depot may not die immediately, but they need to consolidate and close any store that is unprofitable. If they don't, they will fail.

As far as the stores themselves, I was at the East Palo Alto store a couple of years ago and it was a disaster. Product thrown about, returns put back on the shelf with missing parts and stuff like that. Horribly run, a total disaster.

I will concur. Bank financing on any project is dead as dead can be. Anyone, especially on this site who tells you they are making money in construction is billing Obama bucks or simply lying. People who think they were slick and got into the rental house fiasco are about to get the ass ripping of their life. I know several guys like me that held on to their flipper houses to rent out and they are beyond fucked now.

I sold a house about 4 years ago that me and my guys went through and remodeled every inch of even did an addition.

I sold the house for $212k 4 years ago, it is now in foreclosure and the bank has it listed for $135k

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:40:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:

I find that their electrical section may suit the homeowner, it is nowhere near on a jobber/pro level.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:40:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

Home Depots around here are nothing like that, parking lot is always full, store is clean, employees are knowledgeable and friendly.

This, and Lowes around here is pretty much the same. Employees can sometimes be idiots, but that goes with having to employ humans, maybe iff they had robots they would be perfect?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:42:28 AM EDT
I built a retaining wall and am building a shooting bench. My observations from these experiences:

HD lumber was shit and overpriced.

Lowes was better quality lumber and priced better.

Menards has good lumber also, but couldn't beat the price at Lowes locally here in SE MI and NW OH.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:45 AM EDT

I will concur. Bank financing on any project is dead as dead can be. Anyone, especially on this site who tells you they are making money in construction is billing Obama bucks or simply lying. People who think they were slick and got into the rental house fiasco are about to get the ass ripping of their life. I know several guys like me that held on to their flipper houses to rent out and they are beyond fucked now.

I sold a house about 4 years ago that me and my guys went through and remodeled every inch of even did an addition.

I sold the house for $212k 4 years ago, it is now in foreclosure and the bank has it listed for $135k

It seems to me that being in the rental business would be great right about now. If people are unable to get the loan to purchase a home, they seem more than willing to pay more than a mortgage payment in rent every month to live in the kind of home they want.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:46:34 AM EDT
Once the Lowes opened here, I never set foot in HD again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:47:42 AM EDT
I've bounced between Lowe's and HD for different things. Lumber, plumbing, appliances, they both have their advantages. Both stores here are clean, organized and the customer service is always staffed by knowledgeable people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By t3rror:

It seems to me that being in the rental business would be great right about now. If people are unable to get the loan to purchase a home, they seem more than willing to pay more than a mortgage payment in rent every month to live in the kind of home they want.

Being in the rental business right now means you MUST rent out the house that you are tens of thousands upside down on just to keep your personal credit above water. The rental people here, are feeling the pain.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:48:38 AM EDT
Menards is a regional player.

Home Depot has been trying to turn around stores. About a year ago I noticed the employees were actually approaching me asking if I needed hellp with anything instead of avoiding eye contact.

Home Depot is like Best Buy. Essentially it is a convenience store. I have one 10 minutes away, and they're open on Sundays, weeknights until 11 pm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By captainpooby:
Lowes FTW!

Lowes is twice as old as THD, but only does half the sales. It looks like THD is "Improving Home Improvement".

THD is a DOW component. Lowes is not. Lowes will fail before THD does IMO.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 5:54:18 AM EDT by nhsport]
Here in CT I am aboult the same distance from 3 different HDs and two of them have a Lowes more or less across the street.
All have their problemns with a fair ammount of brain dead help,prices and selection is nearly the same for most stuff.
Seems the market is over saturated,something must give.

In past economic slumps the standard thinking was that folks would not build or buy new but would instead patch up their existing house/yard.
Seems that things are so bad now that nobody is doing much of anything

I at one point was introduced to a older brother of a friend who had bought big into HD stock when it was below $10 or so and at that point 10-12 years back it was nearly $70
When I say big I mean 300K shares so he was fat and happy at the time. Guy was pretty smart, hope he got out when the getting was good!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:49:54 AM EDT
Home Depot took a turn for the worse when Bob Nardelli was running it. He was the same guy who ran Chrysler into the ground.

They may have a chance to get turned around, but who knows. Most of the employees don't know jack.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:35 AM EDT
The opposite around here. Lowes has the idiots and HD has the smart people.

Lowes sucks as far as getting anyone to help. HD people will come up to you in the aisle and ask if you need help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51:42 AM EDT
They are a great store.

If you discount the unhelpful, ignorant employees and the artificially inflated prices....

Oh, almost forgot the combative Management and abysmal customer service.

Other than that, what's not to love?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:52:50 AM EDT
I usually go to the lowes here as HD is almost always busier and I can get in and out of lowes with what I need quicker. I was there twice yesterday getting stuff for the new exterior door I hung yesterday, also need a new sink stopper for the kitchen and I forgot to look yesterday. I am planning on going to the range here in a bit, I will stop at lowes on the way home to pick that up. Hate to think how busy HD would be today on a holiday
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:54:43 AM EDT
So......

Who is drawing up plans to convert the closed down HD buildings into indoor rifle and pistol ranges?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:57:07 AM EDT

Being in the rental business is fine..its when you bought the rentals thats a problem, just like for homeowners. Wether landlord or homeowner if you bought when prices where high and mortgaged for as much as possible things may be a little tight right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:58:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 5:59:40 AM EDT by Kharn]
If you know exactly what you need, Home Depot's the place to go. If you need to find something and you speak Spanish, Lowes is the place to go.

Plus one, lots of money to be made buying foreclosures, patching any bad drywall, throwing on a fresh coat of paint and rent it out for double the mortgage. IF you can get the financing.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bend:
So......

Who is drawing up plans to convert the closed down HD buildings into indoor rifle and pistol ranges?

You sir, are brilliant.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:01 AM EDT
We have had different home improvement store come and go over the years in this area Builder's Square, Plywood Minnesota. Now it's Lowes and Home Depot, the have all been larger and better financed than Menard's. But Menard's still stands strong.

I get 95% of what I need from Menard's, better products and great staff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:04 AM EDT
Remember "Builder's Square", RIP...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:02:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

Wasn't there another one called "HQ" or something like that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:49 AM EDT
I miss the old days when you'd go inside and pay for your lumber and then drive your truck around back into the lumber yard and they'd load up your truck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:07:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:

I find that their electrical section may suit the homeowner, it is nowhere near on a jobber/pro level.
If you need three phase controls, or bolt on breaker panels, then, No, HD isn't your place.

BUT, if you're doing anything with single phase electricity, commercial or residential, HD is just fine for a quick part.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:08:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RDak:

"DIY"
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:10:54 AM EDT

Home Depot is the only store I know of where employees can be seen actively running away from customers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:11:17 AM EDT

used to be Husky
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:11:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PaintItBlack:
Menards is a regional player.

Home Depot has been trying to turn around stores. About a year ago I noticed the employees were actually approaching me asking if I needed hellp with anything instead of avoiding eye contact.

Home Depot is like Best Buy. Essentially it is a convenience store. I have one 10 minutes away, and they're open on Sundays, weeknights until 11 pm.

This sums it up for me as well
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:13:01 AM EDT

Payless Cashways went tits up too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:13:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ChrisSA:

Originally Posted By Bend:
So......

You sir, are brilliant.

roger that...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:13:38 AM EDT

Rickels, helps you do it better. Do it better with Rickels!

I also remember Channel stores.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:52 AM EDT
HD same store sales were up decently just this week

Conventional wisdom is that people spend more on DIY home improvement in a poor economic climate

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

Mark...you haven't spent any time in the Rochester store. Previous posters describe it exactly. I stopped going there 1 yr ago when I tried to buy a BBQ grill. 1st, they had it, then they didn't, then the one they had on the floor, wasn't the model that was on sale. Then another customer walked in and the sales guy just walked away and went to help them. He was supposed to be checking to see what BBQ was on sale and whether they had it in stock, but he just walked away. He was joined by 3 other sales people gathered around someone else who wanted to buy a grill while I stood there asking WTF. I finally walked over and told the other customer that what he wanted to buy wasn't what they had on sale and he questioned the sales people. When they couldn't answer him, we both walked out together.

Then, to see if anything had changed in the past year, I stopped by just last Friday. I was going by it anyways. The place was crawling with workers, but no customers. I was looking to see if they had any pool chemicals on clearance.

Salesman #1, pool chems are outside in the garden area. Go outside to garden area.
Salesman #2 (garden area), pool chems are inside against the wall, next to grass seed. Go inside to Yard Supply area.
Salesman #3, (Inside, Yard Supply area) Pool chems are outside in first row, on the end. Go outside to first row.
Salesman #4, pool chems are inside in Yard Tools. Go inside to Yard Tools.
Salesman #5, (Inside Yard Tools) Pool chems are outside in Seasonal area and offered to show me. Walked with him, when he passed a group of salespeople gathered in the middle of an aisle. Group consisted of Salesman 1-4 plus a few others. As we walked by, I told Salesman #5 loud enough for all to hear, to forget it. That he should join the others and figure out where they put the pool chems. In the meantime, I'd go down the street to Lowes and spend my money there.

So off to Lowes I went, and got 50 lbs of chlorine on Clearance for 33% off regular price, plus I had a 10% coupon. Lowes has its problems too, but they aren't as bad as Home Depot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 6:20:28 AM EDT by capnrob97]
I am having 2 bathrooms redone in my home right now.

The contractor says he is very busy right now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:28 AM EDT
We have a Lowes and HD right across the street from each other. The only times I go into HD is if I'm buying something expensive and just want to comparison shop before buying. HD is usually more expensive and has a crappier selection.

The only things I ever actually bought at HD over Lowes were my grill and my pressure washer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:20:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ghetto:

Same in Texas

+1

I go to either home depot or lowes 1 to 4 times a week.
Usually for electrical supplies. That I ran out of and the supply house is closed.

The biggest plus for me is that the home depot I use is 24 hours.

However, it seems that both of these stores are always out of whatever it is that I'm looking for.
Or they stop carrying what I want without word or warning.

I believe they both cater too much to the homeowner and not the jobsite. Is it to much to ask for bolt-in breakers?!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By captainpooby:
Lowes FTW!

We went to all 3 stores(HD, Lowes and Menards) looking for info on a bathtub. Lowes had the most knowledgeable staff there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:25:35 AM EDT
Well it happened to Builders Square during the last economic slump.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:28:08 AM EDT

anyone remember HomeBase?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top