Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 8:26:06 AM EDT
Story

"I don't normally carry that much money around with me cause it'll probably take about $90 to $100 to fill my tank up. So I mean if I was gonna save some money by using cash as opposed to using a credit card then I would go to the ATM first," Walcott said.

Ok, this guy is probably an idiot.  $90-100 a tank means he's most likely driving a pickup with a ~25 gal tank.  If he makes a special ATM trip to get the cash to pay for his gas, he gains NOTHING.  Why?  Because the ATM fee is freaking $2.50!  So if he buys 25 gallons of gas for a $.10/gal discount, he gains absolutely nothing over using his card.  

This is the same flavor of moron who will take a several thousand dollar bath on trading in a new truck or SUV for a fuel efficient vehicle to save MAYBE 10mpg.  Do people not do the math on stuff like this?

Is cost/benefit analysis a dead art?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I've seen them sell a PAID FOR vehicle in order to buy, make payments on a new vehicle that gets a few more mpg.  I can't figure it out.  How are they saving money?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
My ATM charge is $zero.

Now if the ATM is on the way to the gas station, win.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually..............they just charge more for plastic.And then give it back for cash.

It just sounds better the way they word it and dumbasses fall for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
What are these ATM fees you speak of?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
You pay $2.50 at the ATM?  To get  your money?  haha

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't pay ATM fees unless I go to a bank that is not my own.

Something tells me you just want to criticize somebody.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What are these ATM fees you speak of?

I'll agree that if the guy in question is paying nothing for an ATM fee then he's ok (though you gotta weigh the time/hassle involved with going to the ATM vs paying out the $2.50 for the gas at the pump).

Chances are, a lot of these idiots are parking their car at the pump, walking into the station, using the station's ATM (which ALWAYS charges a fee) and then paying for their gas with the cash they got from the station's ATM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top