Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/12/2013 2:43:24 PM EST
Title pretty much says it all. I used to listen to the Carnival Barker (Glenn Beck), Rush and Hannidy every day. I thought somehow I was doing something patriotic for our country by staying uber informed.

August 23rd I had enough and turned it off. The first few weeks I was really paranoid I'd miss something. Turns out I missed nothing, I still read Drudge and have a lot less stress. Then I cut cable, no more Fox News. Same withdraw, same stress reduction.

If you are a news junkie just try to give it up for a week. Unplug and enjoy life FBHO and the republicans will fuck us either way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:44:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:45:41 PM EST
Kudos. The media is agenda driven. The only news I follow is financial news. Even then, I don't look at the MSM for it either. Krugman is so full of feces that whenever he speaks, it smells of farts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:46:05 PM EST
I gave it up after Obungo was reelected.

Life is much better without talk radio.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:46:12 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
How long till you quit GD then?
View Quote

Never. Unless you make me VA
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:02 PM EST
WILL NOT COMPLY
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:15 PM EST
View Quote

Tag for answer.

I too am bored, but you will have to pry Wilkow from my cold dead hands (radio show). I listen to him on my way in.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Elijah1:
Title pretty much says it all. I used to listen to the Carnival Barker (Glenn Beck), Rush and Hannidy every day. I thought somehow I was doing something patriotic for our country by staying uber informed.

August 23rd I had enough and turned it off. The first few weeks I was really paranoid I'd miss something. Turns out I missed nothing, I still read Drudge and have a lot less stress. Then I cut cable, no more Fox News. Same withdraw, same stress reduction.

If you are a news junkie just try to give it up for a week. Unplug and enjoy life FBHO and the republicans will fuck us either way.
View Quote

I seriously think there is not a small amount of mind control methods involved in big media, right or left.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:32 PM EST
it keeps me warm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:33 PM EST
Yeah it is pretty nice. Once Neal Boortz left I stopped listening to political radio and became a happier person.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:47 PM EST
As retarded as GD is once you learn to navigate through the bullshit "sky is falling" post it's a good source of breaking news.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:50 PM EST
I did the same a couple years back because my anxiety levels were through the roof. If it's important I'll find out about it via drudge or one of the many BBS's I frequent each day. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:47:58 PM EST
Talk radio is the same as top 40 radio......

Same shit, over and over
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:49:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 2:50:47 PM EST by SS109]
I am a political junkie so I love it keeping up on the drama. I don't get too invested in outcomes. As fun to follow a a baseball team or a military campaign. Gains losses setbacks maneuvering. Talk radio? Still listen to the moderates like Hugh Hewitt and the locals Mike Risen and Peter Boyles
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:50:10 PM EST
Cant stand listening to that crap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:52:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By bosifus:
I did the same a couple years back because my anxiety levels were through the roof. If it's important I'll find out about it via drudge or one of the many BBS's I frequent each day. Life's too short to be pissed off all the time.
View Quote

That's where I was. Glenn Beck the carnival barker put me over the edge.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:52:21 PM EST
I only listen to the local guys because they tend to talk about local stuff believe it or not

The Kimmer is on at lunch and I usually listen to Erick Erickson on the drive home if I don't listen to music.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:53:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By fttam:
Talk radio is the same as top 40 radio......

Same shit, over and over
View Quote
This. I stopped listening to Rush 10 years ago. It was the same shit day after day, Republican good, Democrat bad. While I agree with him 90% of the time, I just can't listen to the same song everyday.
If something exciting happens that I need to know about, I'll find out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:54:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 2:56:43 PM EST by bigshooter81]

View Quote

truth.

I get most my info from the interwebs now... there is one local guy I really enjoy (Jason Lewis) but rarely works out where I can catch his show.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:57:40 PM EST
Seven years here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:58:40 PM EST
Too bad they don't have a service to weed out all the extraneous bullshit Rush gets into and let's you just listen to the 1- 5% of pure genius that he pits out.

There a couple guys out of Philly in the AM who are top notch.

Chris Stegal and Dom Giordano.

You can listen to them here

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:02:39 PM EST
My wife remains happy being blissfully ignorant of everything that goes on around the world, she can't understand why i'd want to listen to the news and talk radio. I just don't let myself get worked up about it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:05:07 PM EST
Work frequently has me driving between San Antonio and Houston. I always listened to talk radio all day. Beck, then Rush then Hannity. I swear by the time I got out of the car I was so pissed off I just wanted to throat punch somebody.
Now I stick to sports radio, music and our local guy Michael Berry who throws in a lot more humor. My stress level is way down.
Do not care if I ever watch the national news again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:07:09 PM EST

View Quote

I did that pretty much after the last presidential election. No talk radio, no tv ( got rid of cable ).

Next I need to ween myself off the internet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:10:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheGunCollector:

I did that pretty much after the last presidential election. No talk radio, no tv ( got rid of cable ).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am on the internet a lot but only on ARFCOM about an hour a day at most. The internet is what you make it to be. You can waste a lot of time on it or you can really do your mind a lot of favors by reading well written sources about pertinent information... Then there is the comedy of GD
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:10:48 PM EST
I get all my news from GD and George Noory.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:11:39 PM EST
I avoid most news like the plague.

GD is my news feed.

I listen to about 5 minutes of NPR every night on my way home from work.

I watch a few minutes of morning "news" from the local FOX affiliate one or two mornings a week, but mostly to see what weird shit they have their man on the street doing.

I will listen to Limbaugh if I happen to be in the car when he's on the air, but that's usually one or two days a month and I never get to hear the entire 3-hour program.

There is practically nothing on the news that makes any real difference in my life. When the Russians (er, Chinese?) are coming, someone will let me know.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:14:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 3:14:45 PM EST by Laramie]
Originally Posted By 57fairlane:
I only listen to the local guys because they tend to talk about local stuff believe it or not

The Kimmer is on at lunch and I usually listen to Erick Erickson on the drive home if I don't listen to music.
View Quote

Same here. Overall I like the KFI talk guys. They do cover national events, but still a good mix of local stuff. Other than that is Jim Rome for spots. Anything else is music or audiobooks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:17:47 PM EST
I remember listening to Beck back in 2007. Interesting stuff, some good information, but my god, if I listened to that every day I'd lock myself in the basement and cry myself to death.

I listen to talk radio a few times a year, on road trips, and that's it. I love listening to Rush's show when Mark Steyn fills in.

I guess I might listen more if I wasn't at work, but I don't really feel that I'm missing much.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:19:57 PM EST
I listen to Michael Berry every evening on the way home from work. He's the only one that I can tolerate and he's damn good too.

I highly recommend everyone tuning into his show if you can, he's market has spread to quite a few states now and you can always listen online if he's not on in your area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:20:43 PM EST
I miss Rush, dont care for Beck nor Hanity.

Gave it up cause I work too hard and have no time to listen to it
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:21:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 3:27:35 PM EST by gitarmac]
Originally Posted By watchwatch:

View Quote

Me too. There just wasn't anything else to say. Sometimes you have to accept and move on best you can.

Eta: I don't hate rush, I agree with most of what he says and he's fought the good fight. I wish him luck.

But I had quit living life and only seeing the bad. I got tired of wallowing in despair. I do what I can to deal with the goings on in the world and try to get as much joy out of the small things and the many blessings that have been bestowed upon me. It's not like I didn't see this all coming so there's no sense on waking up surprised and indignant everyday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:23:08 PM EST

I am on the internet a lot but only on ARFCOM about an hour a day at most. The internet is what you make it to be. You can waste a lot of time on it or you can really do your mind a lot of favors by reading well written sources about pertinent information... Then there is the comedy of GD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, I'm certainly not spending it reading well written sources about pertinent information.

I'd say, I waste, off and on, about 4-5 hours a day on the internet - mostly here and other discussion forums.

If I can get it down to an hour like yourself, I'd be happier.

Started working in my garage again recently so hopefully I'll atleast get off for a few hours. Typing this while I eat my dinner.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:27:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:
I remember listening to Beck back in 2007. Interesting stuff, some good information, but my god, if I listened to that every day I'd lock myself in the basement and cry myself to death.

I listen to talk radio a few times a year, on road trips, and that's it. I love listening to Rush's show when Mark Steyn fills in.

I guess I might listen more if I wasn't at work, but I don't really feel that I'm missing much.
View Quote

Beck's show in the 2002-2003 time frame was entertaining, funny and prescient.

Completely different than what it is now. That said, he was small potatoes back then and he is relatively huge now. He (or someone) identified a genre/market, adapted and he is reaping the rewards.

It's all show business.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:28:00 PM EST
Who would have ever thought that not listening to ragging aholes four hours a day would improve ones mood?

Shocking.

Shocking I tell you.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:30:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By watchwatch:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:31:34 PM EST

View Quote

I did the same a couple of years ago. I'm in a much better mood. Family and friends have even noticed and commented on it. Turns out I was kind of a dick, as I was always pissed about what the fucktards in DC were doing.

Now? Fuck it. I'm living my life and having fun doing so. Nothing I do, except vote, can influence what those fucktards foist upon us. So I'm treating them like an ex girlfriend. I'm moving on and being happy about it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:31:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By superspud:
I listen to Michael Berry every evening on the way home from work. He's the only one that I can tolerate and he's damn good too.

I highly recommend everyone tuning into his show if you can, he's market has spread to quite a few states now and you can always listen online if he's not on in your area.
View Quote

You gotta love a conservative talk show host that got busted at a gay bar.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:32:47 PM EST
I've been on a blackout for a couple weeks now.

Listen to the morning show on WMAL and Chris plante for a bit.
But I've tuned it out, got enough going on in my life to get worked up about it any more

I envy my blissfully ignorant wife sometimes
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:34:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 3:34:21 PM EST by Offspring]
I listened to the same people every day. I stopped in 2010 and don't miss it. A lot less stress.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:34:31 PM EST
I did the same thing, first switched over to sports talk which got old quick, then NPR for the cultural crap other than political stuff, still listen to Science Friday though. The best thing I ever did was I bought a Sansa Clip + MP3 player and have been listening to audio books from Audible.com
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:34:45 PM EST
I hear you, OP. All it does is piss me off, and I'm pissed off enough as a rule.

This song covers it as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:36:41 PM EST
I've cut down quite a bit but still listen to it some.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:42:07 PM EST
definitely happier without most news (except finance, science, technology, and medicine)

Originally Posted By brahm:
it keeps me warm.
View Quote

heh
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:43:40 PM EST
Rush is always able to find the silver lining and end in an upbeat note so even if I turn him on aggravated by the news of the day by the time I'm do e listening to him I always feel more refreshed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:46:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By G-MAHN:
Rush is always able to find the silver lining and end in an upbeat note so even if I turn him on aggravated by the news of the day by the time I'm do e listening to him I always feel more refreshed.
View Quote

Rush comes up with some intelligent points, Glen Beck used to do some good research(don't know if he still does). Most of the rest can't intelligently debate a liberal caller without yelling or insulting.

*tin foil hat on* I think that if there were more money in liberal talk radio, that the majority of them would switch sides.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:48:10 PM EST
+1 OP.

I gave it up about 4 years ago after listening to it for years. Even went to some Hannity Freedom Concerts.

At the end of the day, it pisses you off and doesn't do a damn bit of good.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:50:57 PM EST
Here let me help you get your fix:

Buy gold! Buy survial supplies! The economy is about to collapse!

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:51:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
Here let me help you get your fix:

Buy gold! Buy survial supplies! The economy is about to collapse!

View Quote

and yet here you are on arfcom too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:51:45 PM EST
I'm making the transition to Christian radio slowly. I listen to Chuck Swindoll on the iPhone via the insight for daily living app. Great stuff and a great orator. I'm a Savage junkie though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:52:10 PM EST
OP I've done the exact same thing. I wondered if anyone else had ever felt that way.

View Quote

Because of this, I have avoided threads linking to anti news articles online. So much less stress and anger. Their ignorance gets to be too much.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top