Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2005 8:50:23 PM EDT
Just a couple of minutes ago I was on my way home from a late day at work and stopped of at Mcdonalds for a quick bite to eat. A homeless guy walked up to my window and asked for some help with a meal. I looked at the wad in my wallet ( I had a couple hundred from a comission I made at work earlier) and I said what the fuck why not and gave him a $5 bill figuring he was just going to go booze it up. So he said thank you and walked away from Mcdonalds. Now I figured for sure he was gonna go pick up a couple tall cans. When I leave the drive through I passed a bus stop and there he was. With a loaf of bread and some other shit and he was making sandwiches That doesn't happen too often.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were you and had another $5 on me, I would have given him that too.  He not only did what he said he would do, but he did it in a smart way.  he didn't waste it on a $4 burger and 99 cent fries.  He made that 5 go for several meals and that deserves a little credit.  

Good for you and good for him.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
See I would have given him $5.00 and asked for change.

NO NO NO... just kidding... feels good to do something cool huh? Ya done good!

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I was really suprized, this is the reason I stopped going into liquor stores, I used to always get harassed by them for money and you know they're just gonna go booze it up. This guy was near a Safeway and a Mcdonalds so I figured theres a chance he might go buy food.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It makes ya feel good when someone actually does something sensible for once, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
For some reason, this thread has made my day a little better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt mind giving away $5 once and a while if I knew they would put it to goo use, like buy some bread or water. Ill give away my lose change most of the time, useually gets lost in the wash anyway. If you can spare why not give it to someone else I say.

I have give my father my old clothes and sneakers to give to the kids at his school. Most of them are pretty poor so it makes me feel good when I go see my dad at work and theres a bunch of kids running around in my old t-shirts and sneakers
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wouldnt mind giving away $5 once and a while if I knew they would put it to goo use, like buy some bread or water. Ill give away my lose change most of the time, useually gets lost in the wash anyway. If you can spare why not give it to someone else I say.

Here's why.

You are promoting a lifestyle that is a drain on all us hard working tax paying citizens.

You most likely aiding a person with a drug addiction or mental illness to stay drug addicted or sick.

NEVER and I mean NEVER help bums. I have no sympathy. Anyone can learn to flip a burger for $5/hr.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You did a nice thing .The guy was hungry
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's why.

You are promoting a lifestyle that is a drain on all us hard working tax paying citizens.

You most likely aiding a person with a drug addiction or mental illness to stay drug addicted or sick.

NEVER and I mean NEVER help bums. I have no sympathy. Anyone can learn to flip a burger for $5/hr.

You're an asshole.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
You didn't draw down?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think it's $6.75/hr in California.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's why.

You're an asshole.

hey, wisdom of the ages: give a man a fish and he'll not be hungry for a while, set him on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
i dont give money to  bums........plain and simple.  GET A JOB
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry McDONALD, BURGER KING etc... application with me anytime I go downtown, when a bum comes up to me asking for money, I handed him 2 applications, and say, "give the other one to your friend."
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's why.

True but either way I dont think they wil change,

About 5 years ago I was with my father in Harlem. There was a black guy sitting on the side of the road. He had no fingers on his hands and looked like he hasnt eaten in weeks.  We gave him a few bucks.
  A few months later I was watch a David Blane magic show on tv. He was just waking up to people in the street in the city and doing magic. He was in Harlem and there was the guy that we say with no fingers. He did a trick where he took the guys cup and all of a sudden all of these coins appeared in it. He then talked to the guy and he explain that in Vietnam he lost his fingers somehow. He coulnt find work when he came back. No one would hire a black guy with not hands. He lived with his mother until she died. Then was forced to live out on the street. Now if that story he said is true then thats atleast 1 guy who is less fortunate than us. I agree though there are many guys who are just druggies just looking for the next fix or drink.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
In my old highschool the janitor was Korean war Vet.  He would go out and help homeless vets with the VFW, I helped him on occasion.  I kinda got to know some of the homeless vets around where I live(I live in a relatively small town, so there aren't too many homeless guys, and unfortunatly most of them are vets) So, whenever I see any of them I know, I'll give them a buck or two and whatever spare change I have.  Yeah I'm sure it's enabling their lifestyle or whatever, but god damn it their vets.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
OK any of these guys could flip burgers, but would you want them to cook your food when they're all mangy and have no place to shower?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Good to see that the guy actually did something smart with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I never give them money.

But I do keep packages of peanut butter crackers in my car.  I'll give em a couple of those, no problem.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, even a bum needs a 40 oz.  That's my take on it in general.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
you had him "gum" you didn't you?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
OK any of these guys could flip burgers, but would you want them to cook your food when they're all mangy and have no place to shower?

I dont think you'd see them cooking it.  Out of sight out of mind.  Plus I dont eat at those resturants
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

nice try, but most cities have private organization, and even city funded ones that are runned by taxpayers money for them to get decent clothing, shower facilities and can get them in "halfway houses" the problem is people like you who make excuses on why they can't do it, or coddle them by giving them money to support their parasitic existance on society.  if they wanted to they can get cleaned up and become a productive member of society.......but why should they, when people feel sorry for them.......like they are a kitten in the rain.

I read quite a few post about how everyone gets their panties all in the bunch, mostly the good "christian" types,  over the  homosexuals issue........but hey,  those people are at least productive members of a society, they have jobs,  and some probably make more then a good percentage people on this board.........but when it comes to bums, those same good "christians" will  find about every excuse in the books for them, on why they can't be a productive member of society, and give money to them, so that they can 'feel good" that they did a "good thing". yeah probably some of them have mental issues, and some have drug issue..........but come on now, you're going to tell me that every single  bum out there is like that?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My sentiment exactley. Stopped at a conveniance store one night to pick up a case of beer - there was a bum standing outside with a sign that said "why lie? I want a beer". Stopped me dead in my tracks . I figured a good laugh was worth the cost of 24 ouncer
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I can agree on some of the posts about saying just go out and get a job to young ones. But sometimes good people  can fall on hard times. I  don't live in a city and have to confront  them everyday like some of you. but sometimes giving a couple bucks to a homeless person ,especially an elderly person  to get some food. Is it that bad to some of you
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nice try, but most cities have private organization, and even city funded ones that are runned by taxpayers money for them to get decent clothing, shower facilities and can get them in "halfway houses" the problem is people like you who make excuses on why they can't do it, or coddle them by giving them money to support their parasitic existance on society.  if they wanted to they can get cleaned up and become a productive member of society.......but why should they, when people feel sorry for them.......like they are a kitten in the rain.

I read quite a few post about how everyone gets their panties all in the bunch, mostly the good "christian" types,  over the  homosexuals issue........but hey,  those people are at least productive members of a society, they have jobs,  and some probably make more then a good percentage people on this board.........but when it comes to bums, those same good "christians" will  find about every excuse in the books for them, on why they can't be a productive member of society, and give money to them, so that they can 'feel good" that they did a "good thing". yeah probably some of them have mental issues, and some have drug issue..........but come on now, you're going to tell me that every single  bum out there is like that?

So whats your handle on DU?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So whats your handle on DU?

if I was on DU, I would be like  some of the poster here on this thread........making exuses for these bums not getting off their ass and becoming a member of society.........maybe that question you ask should be put forward to some of the folks that are making exuses for them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's why.

NEVER and I mean NEVER help bums. I have no sympathy. Anyone can learn to flip a burger for $5/hr. hr

But for the grace of God go I (or any one of us).  I'm not a soft touch but sometimes the right thing is to help those who need it.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#30]
What I hate is when you're outside the gun store and some hard luck ARFCOM poster child comes up and says "Hey man, I'd really like to shoot.  But I don't have money for Ammo.  Can you spare something.".

I usually give the guys who do this some cash, figuring they're really going to buy food.  It pisses me off knowing they'll be at Mcdonalds in 10 minutes buying .79 cent hamburgers and loading up on ketchup.

Of course, it beats saying "No." and hearing something like "Listen you commie, libHat, Klontoon life sized statue fellating assTard.   Go Get Fucked ASS Monkey.  If it weren't illegal, I'd kick your ass.  In fact, I might kick your ass and lie about it.  How would you like that????"

Better to just give them some money.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes its good to just remember what you have and others don't, and when you see them use it for what it was for, just makes it good all round.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

But for the grace of God go I (or any one of us).  I'm not a soft touch but sometimes the right thing is to help those who need it.  

so how is giving a bum some money "helping him" or the "right thing to do"? he'll  still on the street panhandling for more money. you are just doing that  so that YOU feel good, not that you are helping, or doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#33]
well I commend you on your generocity donation no one should go hungry and even if the streets is his lifestyle and he didnt plan on bettering himself at least you help lessen the suffering of a broken soul and who knows the homeless man may have been a blessing in disguise
along the lines of a test of faith to know that where you stand you help other less fortunite. you havent seen him since have you? maybe a worker of the lord and you passed.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:15:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I dont give money out, what I do is hand out gift certificates to McDs or some other fast food place.  I wont make it easy for them to get booze or smack with my money.  At least I know if I give them the gift certificates they will have to work to exchange them before they can get booze or drugs with them.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't consider myself soft by any means but I usually used tog ive these guys a buck or two when asked without even thinking about it. Now that I live in the middle of nowhere I don't seem to have these problems.  When I am in New York city lately they tend to leave me alone. Wearing BDU's and carrying an m9 tends to get that response.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I can't give 'em a job or a place to stay.  Maybe a 40 will make their hell-on-earth a little more bearable, at least for a little while.

Sometimes I give 'em money, sometimes not.  It depends more on what kind of mood I'm in at the time than what they are going to do with it.  I never give gifts with restrictions.  If I give someone $5. it's theirs to do what they want to with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:25:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What I hate is when you're outside the gun store and some hard luck ARFCOM poster child comes up and says "Hey man, I'd really like to shoot.  But I don't have money for Ammo.  Can you spare something.".

You should have been around here back in the day of "ARFCOM Fear Factor". People were doing exactly what you described, but at road intersections. "Will work for ammo". Even the cops thought it was funny....

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Good story, I would have (and have) probably done the same thing.

Too bad some people here can't just enjoy the story for what it was.

Thanks for sharing!

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I used to give them money before I moved to Seattle. Now they are on every damn corner, and all of them have a sign, "Homeless Vet".

Sorry, I missed the begging class in Basic.  Capitalisim 101, You dont work you dont fucking eat.

We have a street here lined with street guys willling to work for cash. If they really wanted a job, thats where they would be, not preying on people trapped in their cars with their kids playing on their sympathy and fears.

I just say no.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:55:44 AM EDT
[#40]

In the words of Saturday Night Live:

"Not today friend...suck it <middle finger>"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#41]
For all you bum haters:

But for the grace of God, go I...

or something like that, but you get the point.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
For all you bum haters:

But for the grace of God, go I...

or something like that, but you get the point.  

There is no god, and if I'm young and strong enough to stand at an intersection holding a sign for four hours, I will not be homeless and broke for long.

People like that have zero acceptable excuses.

I hate them.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No, no, no, those jobs are for the immigrants, remeber.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Just a couple of minutes ago I was on my way home from a late day at work and stopped of at Mcdonalds for a quick bite to eat. A homeless guy walked up to my window and asked for some help with a meal. I looked at the wad in my wallet ( I had a couple hundred from a comission I made at work earlier) and I said what the fuck why not and gave him a $5 bill figuring he was just going to go booze it up. So he said thank you and walked away from Mcdonalds. Now I figured for sure he was gonna go pick up a couple tall cans. When I leave the drive through I passed a bus stop and there he was. With a loaf of bread and some other shit and he was making sandwiches That doesn't happen too often.

Good on you. I usually give them food if I am moved to help them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If I were you and had another $5 on me, I would have given him that too.  He not only did what he said he would do, but he did it in a smart way.  he didn't waste it on a $4 burger and 99 cent fries.  He made that 5 go for several meals and that deserves a little credit.  

Good for you and good for him.

With the second $5 he would have got a 40oz.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]
If you really wanted to help someone, volunteer your time at a shelter or hospice.  Homeless here get fed three meals a day FREE. All they have to do is walk in the  door at three different locations downtown.

BTW:  It's RARE to find a homeless person without ANY cash.  Some of them make more than you do.

They'll panhandle for "food money",  but they can post a 500$ cash bond on the spot when they get arrested.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have been around here back in the day of "ARFCOM Fear Factor". People were doing exactly what you described, but at road intersections. "Will work for ammo". Even the cops thought it was funny....

That's F'd up, but funny!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top