Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:37:53 AM EDT
Watching TV, reading books, and seeing movies.  I am sick and tired of the crap that is spewed out there for people to try to set their lives to.  TV is an unrealistic view of society, along with movies, and most books.  Real life has no happy endings, problems are not solved in an hour.  Life is a depressing series of events until you die.  Happiness is nothing more than a facade to hide your true emotions and feelings.  I am done.  I am sick and tired of feeling like shit after watching this crap.

This place on the other hand is real.  Real problems, real life, and true.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
As real as people can make up sometimes for attention.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quitters never win.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quitters never win.

Sorry man, but TV blows....I am going outside.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
1) Get rid of your TV.

2) You're reading the wrong books. Much of classic literature contains great wisdom.

3) Pop culture is for dolts.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quitters never win.

I know, I watch The Golf Channel and ESPN if I even watch television.

GD has rotted my brain way more than television could ever hope to though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#6]
they figure it will cheer some people up....you know deny the real world and feel all fuzzy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to the local library, they should have a section labeled "Classics".   That should get you through the winter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Would this be real enough for you?
http://www.realtelevision.net/

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Turned off The tube in 1996. Never regretted it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Fury, you need to get Skyrim.

(just watch out for your knees)
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1) Get rid of your TV.

2) You're reading the wrong books. Much of classic literature contains great wisdom.

I came to this realization this week....I was watching "How I Met Your Mother"  They show Ted (an architect), Barney (Business man), Marshal (lawyer), Robin (News Anchor), and the other chick Lilly (teacher).  But what they do not show is how hard that they worked to get into the positions that they are in, they don't show them busting their ass in school for 4-7 years, they don't show how expensive it is to live in New York City, or how dangerous it can be.  They are portrayed as being happy, successful, and productive, with no problems (the problems that are shown have humorous tone to them).  That is not life, but the kids that are watching shows like this get this image burned into their heads that this is how life is, and no work is really needed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I quit with the rat race around September of last year, no more distractions that I base my life upon. Current world events, issues with ignorant women, and people basing their life and wealth upon material possession that are worthless as tits on a boar hog are no more. I sat and though about how my great grandfather worked his life away so his children and grandchildren would have a place to call home, raise their family and be self sufficient. Almost 80 years later I will try and continue on with that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Would this be real enough for you?

http://www.realtelevision.net/

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a guitar and I'm not too far away.

Anytime something bad happens I can come over and start playing while you have a deep meaningful conversation that fixes the problem you are having.

It'll be like an episode of Full House or perhaps Family Matters -  since you live in North O and all.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anytime something bad happens I can come over and start playing while you have a deep meaningful conversation that fixes the problem you are having.

It'll be like an episode of Full House or perhaps Family Matters -  since you live in North O and all.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Watching the wrong channels
-Discovery
-The Learning Channel
-The History Channel
-The Science Channel
-sci-fi channel (maybe)
-National Geograpic channel
-FoxNews during commericals of the above channels

everything else is crap
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

From now on, you are dubbed "the Beaver".
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:59:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And sweet rolls...

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's a good book to help you find good books.

You'll find that as you watch less TV, when you DO see it you'll say "I can't believe people watch this shit".
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From now on, you are dubbed "the Beaver".
 I'll take "the Beaver".

Better than being that dumb uncle who lived in an alcove under the stairs.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1) Get rid of your TV.

Much wisdom in this post here .

There are an almost endless array of books out there , on just about any subject you want .  I have hundreds in line to be read here at home , and I'm always buying more .

As far as TV goes , I cant stand it . the wife pays for the cable and watches alot of the DIY-type shows as she is almost bed-ridden . I just tune out that static and read when I'm laying beside her .

Pop culture is indeed for mindless dolts , I cant stand it . I hate reality shows , I detest anything to do with modern-style and fashion and refuse to allow it in this house .
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) Get rid of your TV.

Much wisdom in this post here .

There are an almost endless array of books out there , on just about any subject you want .  I have hundreds in line to be read here at home , and I'm always buying more .

As far as TV goes , I cant stand it . the wife pays for the cable and watches alot of the DIY-type shows as she is almost bed-ridden . I just tune out that static and read when I'm laying beside her .

Pop culture is indeed for mindless dolts , I cant stand it . I hate reality shows , I detest anything to do with modern-style and fashion and refuse to allow it in this house .

I don't have much time for pleasure reading guys.  Between work and a full load at school, I am pretty spent at the end of the day/night.  I don't get much sleep.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And sweet rolls...

he'd be much warmer and happier with a belly full of mead.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And sweet rolls...

What is this Skyrim that you speak of??
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't completely given up on TV (still have Netflix). However, I stopped paying for normal cable/sat. TV years ago. These days when folks leave TVs on at the office, it takes all of five minutes before I am practically seeing red from the garbage it spews, and seek to shut it off. Most of what I watch on Netflix is documentaries and learning based shows (eg How Stuff Works, etc).

Been reading a lot more. Just received On Killing the other day, and am about half way through it. Have it sitting on my desk right now for when things get slow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#26]
You'll know you're getting better when you can pick up a copy of People magazine.... and have no clue who 75% of the people in it are...... and feel very good about that fact.

I've been like that for about 15 years. This isn't to say you ignore current events (the internet can provide you with news/politics/social criticism), you just don't immerse yourself in the shit that doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You'll know you're getting better when you can pick up a copy of People magazine.... and have no clue who 75% of the people in it are...... and feel very good about that fact.

I've been like that for about 15 years. This isn't to say you ignore current events (the internet can provide you with news/politics/social criticism), you just don't immerse yourself in the shit that doesn't matter.

I have been that way for years, I don't have any cable service either, just Netflix and Hulu.  But watching some of the newer shows was pissing me the hell off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
2) You're reading the wrong books. Much of classic literature contains great wisdom.[/div][div]

+ freakin' 1

Try "The Dubliners" if you want straight up reality.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
2) You're reading the wrong books. Much of classic literature contains great wisdom.[/div][div]

+ freakin' 1

Is ^ a book?
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I haven't seen any new movies since 2008, my country music collection consists of everything from 2005 back, and ARFCOM is pretty much the only thing I read these days unless there's a publication at work. Shit's gone down hill FAST
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And sweet rolls...

a horribly awesome xbox addiction.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And sweet rolls...

I have an original X Box that I bought in 2001.  Not the 360.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+ freakin' 1

Is ^ a book?
James Joyce short stories. Great book.

Actually, short stories might be a great genre for you if you're busy. Also try Ernest Hemingway's collected shorts.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+ freakin' 1

Is ^ a book?
James Joyce short stories. Great book.

Actually, short stories might be a great genre for you if you're busy. Also try Ernest Hemingway's collected shorts.

That actually looks pretty good.  Thanks for the heads up man.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And sweet rolls...

I have an original X Box that I bought in 2001.  Not the 360.

It is also for PC.

Skyrim system requirements

The following are the official minimum requirements:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)

Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor

2GB System RAM

6GB free HDD Space

Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

DirectX compatible sound card

Internet access for Steam activation

And the recommended requirements:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU

4GB System RAM

6GB free HDD space

DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM
(Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).

DirectX compatible sound card

Internet access for Steam activation

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#37]
sorry to hear about your troubles.

yes, TV will kill your soul, and movies are not a lot better, but TV is the worst. I killed my TV 5 years ago. I don't miss it. I am also killing regular radio and going with Sirius.

going outside and hanging around people that also do not watch TV will help tremendously.

and life is not a depressing series of disappointments and events.

I have had tons of exciting and happy experiences wit happy endings. I have also had my disappointments and failures. that IS life as well.

it's all up to you and how you perceive life. I like my life, I like ( and love) my wife.

yes, lots of folks are screwed up out there, so what? it doesn't mean I have to join them in their misery.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quitters never win.

Good idea. Clear ur head. Camping trip?
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#39]
you'll be back
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quitters never win.

Good idea. Clear ur head. Camping trip?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:58:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Glad you got shit figured out, yo.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Who is that, and why do I suddenly want to be just like him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Watching TV, reading books, and seeing movies.  I am sick and tired of the crap that is spewed out there for people to try to set their lives to.  TV is an unrealistic view of society, along with movies, and most books.  Real life has no happy endings, problems are not solved in an hour.  Life is a depressing series of events until you die.  Happiness is nothing more than a facade to hide your true emotions and feelings.  I am done.  I am sick and tired of feeling like shit after watching this crap.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1274170_Someone_had_over_100_posts_per_day_in_the_last_week_.html  

This place is far too often full of paranoia, unnecessary cynicism and irrational hatred. Go outside or get a cat from the shelter.

It is not paranoia if they really are out to get you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Watching the wrong channels

-Discovery

-The Learning Channel

-The History Channel

-The Science Channel

-sci-fi channel (maybe)

-National Geograpic channel

-FoxNews during commericals of the above channels
everything else is crap

+ FX & AMC, every other channel is useless

I have the internetz and still don't know WTH a snookie or kardashian is famous or WTF a "smoosh room" is.
America's got talent??? damn right it does every person who works in nightshift manufacturing is a regular McGuyver but that tv show

is a buffalo diarrhea  dump.

and try a vitamin D supplement winter depression is a bitch

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I find much irony in the OPs avitar.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Your reading the wrong books.

Like monsters? Larry Cordia has a series, he's a poster here. Also has a series, Hard Magic. JMB is in that one.

Like Scifi? Hienlien, John Ringo, Michael Willimson (He is a poster here too). Hymn Before Battle, Freehold.

Like Military: Lots to choose from. Stop hanging out in the young adult section. Lots of good shit out there that are conservative or even libertarian in their outlook. Go to the book forum on here and get recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Although I agree with the sentiment that people need to shut off the TV and go outside more, I think I found the problem:
Quoted:

If you're setting your life to what you see on TV, et al., you're doing it wrong.

Set your life to GD.

Seriously though, who the fuck models their lives after what they see on TV?
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Your reading the wrong books.

Like monsters? Larry Cordia has a series, he's a poster here. Also has a series, Hard Magic. JMB is in that one.

Like Scifi? Hienlien, John Ringo, Michael Willimson (He is a poster here too). Hymn Before Battle, Freehold.

Like Military: Lots to choose from. Stop hanging out in the young adult section. Lots of good shit out there that are conservative or even libertarian in their outlook. Go to the book forum on here and get recommendations.

All I really read is books about the Great War (WW1).  Although, I am starting to get into the Civil War.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I watch maybe 10 hours of Tv a week and half of that is How Its Made
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top