Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2005 5:27:41 AM EDT
On my way back from England, I was exposed to a possible security issue. Who should I report it to?

Bomber....times like this I hate my nickname

I'm serious and just want to do what is right.

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
TSA.  Then have your thread locked.  This isn't the place.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

care to explain why this thread needs to be locked??
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This isn't the place.

my thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On my way back from England, I was exposed to a possible security issue. Who should I report it to?

Bomber....times like this I hate my nickname

I'm serious and just want to do what is right.

I bet Vito would know.

Otherwise see if you look online for the number for the non-emergency police line there and call them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Probably The Metropolitan Police, or The Home Office.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

care to explain why this thread needs to be locked??

Loose lips sink ships.

Not that he posted what the issue was, but no reason to give out information or ideas even if it's vague. It's good that Bomber is watching out for such things, and wants to report it. We're all the first line of security, even in Allied countries.

I wouldn't call TSA though. I highly doubt they would bother calling up their English counterparts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I will absolutely NOT DISCUSS it here. I was just looking for advise on who to contact. Evidently it not as easy as one would think to report.

I called the TSA and they were not interested as their purview is only the US. I then called the Department of Homeland Defense and they gave me a number to call that turned out to be the TSA. In other words the same folks who sent me packing (note they didn't even ask me what the issue was). I then called the Dept. Of HD back to tell them of the "run around" and was then transferred to a person whose mailbox is full.

The issue may not be an issue at all but I feel like I should report it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Call the British Consulate or Embassy, tell them your story and ask who you should get in contact with in the UK.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Bomber, check IM's.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]

British Embassy

www.britainusa.com/sections/index_nt1.asp?i=41022&L1=41003&L2=41022&D=3

MI5 "how you can help" page

www.mi5.gov.uk/output/Page6.html

If something was done to you and you want to complain  search for BAA.  They're teh company tehat runs Heathrow.  If loophole in security I would use the MI5 page.  They will be VERY interested, I'd think.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]
You want results? Call the media. Seriously.

I was in Heathrow a few mos ago and was shocked by the lax security.

It was even worse in Lisbon. I saw a French guy "negotiate" with the security screeners to allow him to bring a fixed-blade knife through the check point.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ignore it.   I see security issues all the time - airports, companies, military bases, you name it.

Guess what?   NOBODY CARES.    "Security" is an illusion for the masses - even the security pros know it's a joke.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You want results? Call the media. Seriously.

I was in Heathrow a few mos ago and was shocked by the lax security.

It was even worse in Lisbon. I saw a French guy "negotiate" with the security screeners to allow him to bring a fixed-blade knife through the check point.

Yeah but, its not like the French guy was planning on attacking anyone, or hell, even defending himself so...no worries.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The Metropolitain Police are responsible for security at Heathrow Airport.

Main address

Heathrow Police Station
East Ramp, Heathrow Airport
Hounslow
Middlesex
TW6 2DJ

Telephone

+44 (0)20 8897 1212

I would be very suprised if there was a significant security issue at Heathrow, don't assume it's only people in uniforms that do the watching and guarding.

ANdy
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I contacted my congressman. He has the ball now.

Bomber
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Well you obviously were shaken by what you saw Bomber…

If you need to contact Scotland Yard direct… SO13 is the anti-terrorism unit.

You can report an incident online or get the phone number here…

www.met.police.uk/counter_terrorism/contact.htm

If you really want to go to the top you need to contact MI5 directly…they are the anti terrorism 'Heavy Mob'… however that will usually 'light up the board'. Only do that if you feel a clear and present danger.

www.mi5.gov.uk/output/Page6.html

Good luck and thanks for your vigilence

ANdy

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I will absolutely NOT DISCUSS it here. I was just looking for advise on who to contact. Evidently it not as easy as one would think to report.

I called the TSA and they were not interested as their purview is only the US. I then called the Department of Homeland Defense and they gave me a number to call that turned out to be the TSA. In other words the same folks who sent me packing (note they didn't even ask me what the issue was). I then called the Dept. Of HD back to tell them of the "run around" and was then transferred to a person whose mailbox is full.

The issue may not be an issue at all but I feel like I should report it.

Bomber

Ah yes, security thru obscurity.   Or:  we're safe 'cause they're ignorant.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Traveled Europe to include Heathrow quite a bit last year.  The European approach is quite different than here in the US.  Though lax in many areas, they tend to be far less PC with an approach of isolating potential Muslims for scrutiny to include not only passport origination but ethnic background.

If your issue is beyond this, I would contact homeland security via email or fax.

Tj

Like the israil..  isreail.. israeil..  jews do. Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#20]
ummm skip the media--how many times have you seen them take this story and hidden camers and expose it to the entire world to know...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I second Vito's comments. Heathrow (And to a lesser extent, Gatwick) have been terror targets for a couple of decades now. They've been taking security quite seriously for long before Americans thought it might be a good idea. That's not to say it's infallible, but it's far from lax.

NTM
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Good luck with this.  Sorry TSA wasn't interested, but you got some better advice from the others.  Keep at it -- calling the media I think would be counter-productive, hopefully it wont take that to get your concerns taken seriously
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Bomber

I just received a letter from my Congressman. He forwarded me a letter from the Department of Homeland Security. The TSA's attache in London brought my concern up with the Government of the United Kingdom who prompted the British Airport Authority to undertake a risk assessment. The British Airport Authority evidently found that my concern was credible and has changed their procedures.

That makes me feel like in a small way, I made a difference.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I offer a genuine ATTABOY.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

I just received a letter from my Congressman. He forwarded me a letter from the Department of Homeland Security. The TSA's attache in London brought my concern up with the Government of the United Kingdom who prompted the British Airport Authority to undertake a risk assessment. The British Airport Authority evidently found that my concern was credible and has changed their procedures.

That makes me feel like in a small way, I made a difference.

Bomber

That is awesome man. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Good work.

Why does it take a congresscritter to get HLS engaged?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Good job outta you!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Just one important question:  Is it also a weakness here?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Not that I am aware of.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Good job!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I am aware of.

Bomber

PS Since it's a resolved issue, should I share it with you? The reason I ask is it may create an awareness within some one who may find some other potential threat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Freaking A bubba.  Good damn job.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
PS Since it's a resolved issue, should I share it with you? The reason I ask is it may create an awareness within some one who may find some other potential threat.

If you do, be vague. Indicate the nature of the weaakness, without specificity toward how the weakness might be exploited.

Or better yet, don't

Good job, BTW. Disheartening that you weren't able to make a worthwhile contact directly with TSA to air your concern. Nevertheless, it would appear a positive result is in place now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is a redacted copy of the letter I received:

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Excellent work!

Thanks from a frequent traveler!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Heh! In reading the letter, I think I know what the issue was, and I HAVE seen this in US airports. In fact Kansas City International (MCI) is particularly prone to this same weakness, because of the lack of a central security checkpoint. Considering the general socio-economic culture of the participants, it would be very easy for improper persons and/or materials to be in the secured area. Next time I fly, I will be on the lookout to confirm my suspicions.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Great job!!  We all need to be on our toes and especially keep at the issue until you get someone who will take things seriously instead of saying "not my job, mon".

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Good job!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top