Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:02:40 PM EDT
And I am now officially a wreck. What a damn good movie... and way too sad.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome movie
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I was holding back tears the whole time and I am not a emotional person. For some reason I associated Walt with my dad and realized why he is like he is and it is because of what he saw in his life.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
double post.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was holding back tears the whole time and I am not a emotional person. For some reason I associated Walt with my dad and realized why he is like he is and it is because of what he saw in his life.

I've always had a lot of respect for veterans... this movie definitely reinforced that respect.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Just saw an ad for it on TV. It's on my list of stuff to watch.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
That movie was funny as hell.

I mean, it was very serious, sad and profound...but there was a LOT of comedy gold in that movie.  Especially the barbershop scene with the kid.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
im watching it as we speak. 4th time ive seen it.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife got me the DVD for my birthday. We watched it tonight. Great movie.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That movie was funny as hell.

I mean, it was very serious, sad and profound...but there was a LOT of comedy gold in that movie.  Especially the barbershop scene with the kid.

hahaha... yeah... i agree. there was some great humor. It was a damn good movie. And I think many of us know or are related to somebody like Walt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]
great movie
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]

I rented on PPV a couple of days ago. After me and my wife watched it she turned and said " Were gonna have to buy that one" . It was another great movie from my favorite actor.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
after the first time i watched it i expanded my vocabulary by about 20 words

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Watched it for the first time last night.  Fantastic movie.  It's right up there with my other favorite Clint movies - Heartbreak Ridge and Unforgiven...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Grand Torino
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in eastern North Carolina, and I knew more than one "Walt Kowalski". There were a LOT of veterans around my area, especially former Marines. They even talked me into joining up myself!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Great movie!  One of my top 3
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I grew up in eastern North Carolina, and I knew more than one "Walt Kowalski". There were a LOT of veterans around my area, especially former Marines. They even talked me into joining up myself!

funny you should say that, that's where "my" Walt lives.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
It would have been a fantastic movie had they hired legitimate actors (other than Clint and the barber).  As it were, there are numerous "serious" scenes that are outright laughable because of the fantastically bad acting.  

It is worth watching just for Clint, though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#21]
His M1 was in too good of condition to have been in Korea.   That just blew the movie for me.

Just kidding.  It was  a good movie.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]
It was alright but the "Hollywood" gangbangers they threw in there was kinda a blow it with there cheesy acting. The movie was too predictable...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw it for the first time yesterday. What an amazing movie!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#24]
It wasn't Unforgiven, but it was enjoyable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always had a lot of respect for veterans... this movie definitely reinforced that respect.

What about respect for those that have lived in ghetto Hmong neighborhoods?

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]
It's the first time I've ever seen Clint's character die in a movie...

He's just not supposed to.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#27]
It's a very good movie.  I'll give it four out of five stars.
But it's still not something I could watch endlessly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#28]
great movie.

SPOILER

In the end I was hoping he was gonna dig out his browning .30 from korea and kick some hmong ass 7.62 style. oh well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Great movie. One has to wonder though. Did they choose the Hmong as a relatively "safe" ethnic group to be up against? Can you imagine if they chose a different group of ghetto scum? Then have Clint's character use the appropriate descriptive words for said group. Spike Lee would be livid!

BTW: That car was awesome!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Great movie. One has to wonder though. Did they choose the Hmong as a relatively "safe" ethnic group to be up against? Can you imagine if they chose a different group of ghetto scum? Then have Clint's character use the appropriate descriptive words for said group. Spike Lee would be livid!

No, I think they chose the Hmong because they resemble a nationality we have actually fought against and the a still living combat vet might see them as "the people he fought against". I went to high school with a few. Another student had one over to eat supper one evening, not thinking about his dad being a Vietnam veteran. Both kids learned some colorful words and when the other went home, son says "dad, he's my friend. Why are you treating him like that?"
Dad says "It could have been his dad shooting at me with real bullets."
It just reinforces the notion that sometimes the inner war doesn't end when the politicians decide the fighting will end. If he'd been a Vietnam vet the movie would have been too cliche-we have 10 times as many during and post-Vietnam movies. Sure, Vietnam was hell, but people have come home fucked up from all wars(albeit not as many as from Vietnam). Gran Torino sort of shows that, and shows that even ground in opinions can change.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the same last name as Walt but I defintely need to work on my bitterness.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I know that Garand is in as issued condition, too.  Not a parts gun.  Clint wouldnt stoop that low.  I love that rifle.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I think they chose the Hmong because they resemble a nationality we have actually fought against and the a still living combat vet might see them as "the people he fought against". I went to high school with a few. Another student had one over to eat supper one evening, not thinking about his dad being a Vietnam veteran. Both kids learned some colorful words and when the other went home, son says "dad, he's my friend. Why are you treating him like that?"
It just reinforces the notion that sometimes the inner war doesn't end when the politicians decide the fighting will end. If he'd been a Vietnam vet the movie would have been too cliche-we have 10 times as many during and post-Vietnam movies. Sure, Vietnam was hell, but people have come home fucked up from all wars(albeit not as many as from Vietnam). Gran Torino sort of shows that, and shows that even ground in opinions can change.

From what I understand, the Hmong fought alongside the US against the NVA and Vietcong. But I guess a vet may have trouble drawing that distinction because of the physical similarities between the two.

Awesome movie either way, I'm totally buying that one on Blu-ray.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Just finished watching it 15 min ago.  Kick ass!

M1 Garand goodness with a side of 1911
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Hail Mary full of grace,,,,Got a light????
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fuck Spike Lee.

He's a racist extortionist who has played a substantial role in eroding our country.

Rant/hijack over, carry on.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The story was originally set in Minnesota, which has a large Hmong population, also a  Hmong gang problem. Walt had his demons relating to his time in Korea, his befriending a Hmong family could be seen as Walt getting over his life-long issue with Asians.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]
pics of you watching it
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#39]
DAAAAAMN!!! AWESOME second round
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#40]
"Get me a beer Dragon Lady"
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand, the Hmong fought alongside the US against the NVA and Vietcong. But I guess a vet may have trouble drawing that distinction because of the physical similarities between the two.

Awesome movie either way, I'm totally buying that one on Blu-ray.

They're still fighting them, to this day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#42]
It was good, but I wanted less Sgt Bilko, more Travis Bickel.

Sue was an awesome character tho.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And 95% of them will get you a CoC violation
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would hardly accuse this movie of selling out to the Spike Lee race-bating crowd.

Not ONE black person was shown in the movie with a positive light - just a couple of stereotypical punk kids.

After the racist shit Eastwood took for Flags of our Fathers, I doubt he has any desire to throw a bone to Spike Lee and his ilk.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Watched it last night...  good movie ... will watch again...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll have to talk my dad into buying a DVD of Gran Torino. He'd probably love it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And I am now officially a wreck. What a damn good movie... and way too sad.

i agree, its a very good movie
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, it may come as a surprise to a thief. But I bought this stuff, everything in here, with my own money.

My GF and I laughed pretty good a that line.  My only complaint was that the girl should've been in the car with Thao at the end.  We never saw her look normal again, plus she was just as integral to the movie, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, it may come as a surprise to a thief. But I bought this stuff, everything in here, with my own money.

My GF and I laughed pretty good a that line.  My only complaint was that the girl should've been in the car with Thao at the end.  We never saw her look normal again, plus she was just as integral to the movie, IMO.

It wasn't supposed to be a happy ending - it was just supposed to be about one man's redemption.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top