Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2005 12:46:39 PM EDT
I have two boxers that will pretty much devour anything:

Grapes?  Check.
Watermelon?  Check.
Green beans?  Check.
Cucumbers?  Check.

... and the list goes on.  One thing neither one of them will touch:  Dill Pickles.

So, I am curious ... Anyone have a dog that will touch them?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've even gotten my boxers to eat salad, oranges, artichoke hearts, dill pickles and raw onions! Beat that!

He went from this:

to this:
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've even gotten my boxers to eat salad, oranges, artichoke hearts, dill pickles and raw onions! Beat that!

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/w4klr/misc/11-25-05_1558.jpg

I never thought of the artichoke hearts ... I will have to try it!  Interesting that some dogs do indeed eat dill pickles.  Thought I might have stumbled upon a universal truth.

That's one helluva good lookin boxer too!  Pretty dog.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Try mushrooms.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try mushrooms.

I've tried cooked 'shrooms ...  Down the hatch w/o issue.

Never tried chocolate although I'm told it's poisonous to dogs so that won't get tested.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cuervo is the kind of dog who thought putting bitter apple (the no-chew stuff) on furniture meant it was a snack, but we found that he doesn't like Spanish rice.

Kona will eat just about anything but ice.

My boxers dig spanish rice.  Interestingly enough, they never had issue with chewing on furniture.  Thankfully.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Hehe... Heckler snatched my bag of Reese's peanut butter cups one day, ate them wrappers and all, unbeknownst to me... he lived to tell the tale

I discovered what happened when I noticed little gold wrappers on my lawn and my lack of chocolate on the counter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Gidget will eat anything but peaches.

Cody is the picky one.

Haley is a canine garbage disposal.  She would eat styrofoam if I would let her.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hehe... Heckler snatched my bag of Reese's peanut butter cups one day, ate them wrappers and all, unbeknownst to me... he lived to tell the tale

I discovered what happened when I noticed little gold wrappers on my lawn and my lack of chocolate on the counter.

Heh.  Reminds me of the time when my wife thought it'd be nice to put caramels in a bowl on the coffee table for Christmas.  There was around 1lb. of caramels in the bowl when we left for the grocery store.   When we returned, there were none.

I looked at the female dog (Emma) and she wasn't feeling good at all.  Damn!  A call to the emergency vet since it was after hour$$$$$...

ME:  "Yeah, I have a female boxer that ate around 1 pound of caramels when we were out and she isn't feeling too well.  The male dog doesn't appear to be sick at all so I don't think he ate any."

Receptionist:  "What?  She didn't share!?"

ME: "Heh, yeah, I guess not."

Receptionist:"How much does the female weigh?"

ME:  "She's just at 40lbs."

Receptionist:"One moment ..."

ON HOLD

Receptionist:"OK, sir, the Vet said she'd be fine but she'll be sick for the next day or so.  Call us back if there's blood in the stool or excessive diarreah.  Also be sure to make sure that she's using the restroom because she may develop a bowel obstruction."

ME: "Will do.  Thanks."

I found wrappers in the back yard for forever it seemed ...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try mushrooms.

Never tried chocolate although I'm told it's poisonous to dogs so that won't get tested.

There is some truth to that. Choclate is actualy also poisonous to humans as well.

It all has to do with the amount you inject and your body weight. If you have a little ratdog and it eats a candy bar, it might go tits up. If your lab eats your package of herseys kisses, he'll then go eat some paper he found in the trash and some dirt and whatever else he can get in his mouth.

I forget what the danger ratio is. The only thing I can remeber is that I would have to let my dog eat like 15 pounds of choclate for him to die.

found a link: www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
my lab won't touch green olives
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Heh.  My beagle will eat anything but sauerkraut.  Wont touch it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Ginger, my golden lab (yellow lab/golden retriever mix) will eat anything I offer her except pills!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ginger, my golden lab (yellow lab/golden retriever mix) will eat anything I offer her except pills!

You must have given her hot sauce at one point in time?  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Is giving dogs "human" food really that bad for them?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
My dog won't eat any sort of healthy dog treats.  He ate a dozen small chocolate covered donuts once and a big package of Oreos another time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
My sister tells me that pumpkin filling is a laxative for dogs and they love. If you think they might get an obstruction due to eating something they shouldn't have, feed them a can of pumpkin pie filling. They love it and it works. Save a trip to the vet and x-ray costs.

FYI.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My sister tells me that pumpkin filling is a laxative for dogs and they love. If you think they might get an obstruction due to eating something they shouldn't have, feed them a can of pumpkin pie filling. They love it and it works. Save a trip to the vet and x-ray costs.

FYI.

Oh the fun to be had with my girlfriend's dog
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try mushrooms.

So are onions, but the quantities of both required to poison a dog are pretty high and based on your dog's size.

Dark or baker's chocolate is worse than milk chocolate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#20]
DO NOT feed your dogs grapes or raisins !!!!! Unless your intentionaly trying to kill them. A familiy member of mine did indeed lose her pet due to her feeding him grapes. Be very carefull whay you feed your pets, theres alot out there that will kill them. Fried foods will destroy a dogs liver, grapes and raisins will destroy there kidneys.

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
6/5/2001

MORE:
urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_toxic_raisins.htm
www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is giving dogs "human" food really that bad for them?

I'm no dog expert but I tend to think it's OK.  I've heard eggs are good for their coats.  Like humans, I don't think I'd force feed them fried foods for a long period of time (although my grandfather ate everything fried and lived to be 100.5) but I don't think it's all that bad for them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
DO NOT feed your dogs grapes or raisins !!!!! Unless your intentionaly trying to kill them. A familiy member of mine did indeed lose her pet due to her feeding him grapes. Be very carefull whay you feed your pets, theres alot out there that will kill them. Fried foods will destroy a dogs liver, grapes and raisins will destroy there kidneys.

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
6/5/2001

MORE:
urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_toxic_raisins.htm
www.dogbreedinfo.com/grapeandraisin.htm

Uh, Zaphod, shows you what I know ...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#23]
my dog will eat anything that I will.... and dog food and garden peas.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Uh, Zaphod, shows you what I know ...

No foul!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]
These two will eat anything except lettuce, unless of course it has Ranch Dressing smeared all over it. They don't care for carrots either.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#26]
My dogs (lab/shepherd and Dachshund) like brocolli and sauerkraut.
It doesn't get much stranger than that.
You could try green olives and lemons.
Mine don't care much for limes that come out of my rum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#27]
carrots, will eat it but only if really desperate
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
My beagle will eat styrofoam peanuts if you toss them to him.  I thought he would just catch it and then spit it out.  I only did that once.  His stupidity amazes me sometimes.  He also ate a jalapeno slice I dropped on accident once... I felt bad but it was kinda funny.

He is pretty damn fat.  I had him on reduced calorie Iams for a little over a year with little success.  The vet had me substitute a portion of his food with canned green beans.  He thinks he's getting a special treat or something because he goes apeshit when he see's the can opener come out.  It helped him lose a little weight but he's still fat which I don't understand.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a golden retriever that will eat anything and everything .
Including dill pickles and hot peppers , but then he also
ate a full tube of silicone caulk once .

I'm not talking chewed on , I mean he ate everything
but the nozzle and some of the tube body .
He also has a taste for the Ex wife’s makeup , especially
lipstick
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#30]
for some stupid reason the dog likes to chew up containers of dental floss. If I leave it within reach of him he'll chew the crap out of it
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a Dobbi named Odie that loved eating pecans shells and all.

My sock had a higher IQ than that damb dog.

I miss him
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My sister tells me that pumpkin filling is a laxative for dogs and they love. If you think they might get an obstruction due to eating something they shouldn't have, feed them a can of pumpkin pie filling. they love it and it works. Save a trip to the vet and x-ray costs. FYI.

Absolutely....  I think it is the fiber that does the trick.  I also use brocolli and milk (definitely a laxative)  Our Dachshund  gets "obstructions" ocassionally.  Another thing that helps is chasing a ball.  Seems to loosen things up.

We had one night when he was constipated, and he woke us up around 1am moaning and wimpering. We took him to the emergency vet, who gave him an X-ray, and an enema.  They said he "exploded" in back, after the enema worked its magic.  Apparently, it was quite a mess.  An overnight stay, an IV, and $600 later he was good as new.  They did say that had we not brought him in before morning, he very possibly would have died.  The X-ray showed is intestines completely puffed up with air.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
These two will eat anything except lettuce, unless of course it has Ranch Dressing smeared all over it. They don't care for carrots either.

home.houston.rr.com/wbm/regsan.jpg

home.houston.rr.com/wbm/pups.jpg

home.houston.rr.com/wbm/wtf.jpg

Beautiful boxers!  The Brindle has one of the beast coats I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Gidget will eat anything but peaches.

Cody is the picky one.

Haley is a canine garbage disposal.  She would eat styrofoam if I would let her.

might be time to change that avatar
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
carrots, will eat it but only if really desperate

Hm.  I've not tried raw carrots but cooked carrots go quickly down the hatch.  Especially if they come out of a stew but then that's not surprising.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
He is pretty damn fat.  I had him on reduced calorie Iams for a little over a year with little success.  The vet had me substitute a portion of his food with canned green beans.  He thinks he's getting a special treat or something because he goes apeshit when he see's the can opener come out.  It helped him lose a little weight but he's still fat which I don't understand.

Our male boxer got a little fat as well (I wonder why?) but we started taking them with us when we go on hikes and we take them for walks as well and that was enough to get the male down to normal weight range and the female lost a little weight too but she was OK to begin with.  Didn't do that much for me personally
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#37]
My dog will drool over a dill pickle.....the only thing she wont eat is peanuts, i think its the salt. Loves carrots, raw cabbage, really loves cauliflower(especially with ranch dressing) Just fed her a bunch of left over spagetti....but her all time favorite is PUPERONI dog treats, if she sees me get the bag out she instantly starts drooling, and i mean dripping in the floor drooling.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs..... Just a heads-up
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

He went from this:
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/w4klr/cameratest/Library-004.jpg
to this:
i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/w4klr/misc/11-25-05_1558.jpg

bump
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#40]
It's always the boxers who eat anything in their path
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Try mushrooms.

+1
My Dal, LOVES veggies but will not touch raw shrooms.  Probably a natural aversion for self preservation kinda thing.

R
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#42]
My dogs will eat 'shrooms and other fungi right out of the yard if I let them
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Beautiful boxers!  The Brindle has one of the beast coats I've seen.

Thanks! That's Reggie. 6 year old male who is 100 lbs plus. He used to be a bit leaner back in the day (sheesh didn't we all) but still active with the addition of the fawn female pup Sandy.

He will beg until I yell at him to lay down, then pouts with his head and paws on the couch. I give in. I'm a soft touch when it comes to spoiling animals.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#44]
My Rottie Sam will take a McDonalds Cheeseburger, gulp it down and spit out the two pickles everytime!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I thought maybe it was lutefisk.............
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#46]
if its edible my boys will eat it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try mushrooms.

My beagle got into a kitchen cabinet and ate an entire Costco size bag of chocolate chips, other than having the runs he was just fine.

ETA: My not so bright Dalmation ate the styrofoam padding off of the kids trampoline, she ate so much her stomach was bloated , that bought her a couple nights at the Vets but no surgery.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Used to have a Shepherd that would eat all of a hamburger, then spit out the pickle slices apparently untouched.

Have a Springer now that will beg for broccoli.  Yes, broccoli.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I have two boxers that will pretty much devour anything:

Grapes?  Check.
Watermelon?  Check.
Green beans?  Check.
Cucumbers?  Check.

... and the list goes on.  One thing neither one of them will touch:  Dill Pickles.

So, I am curious ... Anyone have a dog that will touch them?

You do know that grapes in large quantities can be toxic to dogs right?  My dog gets dog food and nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Our dog Buttons is a Jack Russell/Fox terrier will damn near eat anything. I was eating pickled herring and he was staring at me so I gave him some. So my youngest tells the Old Lady that Dad is giving the dog herring. But he likes it!!!!

My lab Jasper had an amazing taste for the finer things in life. If there was a roast in the oven he didn't want to leave the kitchen. But in all the years we had him he never took anything off a table, plate or garbage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top