Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:11:07 AM EDT
To start off with I am very appreciative and respectful of all law enforcement guys and couldn't imagine dealing with the crap that they have to put up with on a daily basis.

I was pulled over for a traffic violation which I was guilty of and will pay the fine or do traffic school to keep the points off of my license. the officer saw my AR mags in the glove box and asked me if I had any weapons in the car and I told him that my rifle was in the case in the back seat. He then asked me to get out of the vehicle and then he put me in the cruiser ( I understand this was for his safety and that it perfectly oK with me). My vehicle was searched, they ran the numbers on my AR and everything checked out as expected. He asked me if I had reciepts for the rifle with me. No sir, I said.

He then came back to the truck and began to question why I had a "SNIPER" rifle in my truck. My AR is an 16" Armalite M15T model and has a heavy barrell. I responded that it did have a heavy barrel and I target shoot and coyote hunt with it. He said that it had a heavy barrell and that was not a hunting rifle and that I should not own it. This is the point where I really began to get irritated. I politely explained to him that the heavy stainless barrell was more consistent in accuracy and helped me have tighter groups at longer ranges. I also stated that I respected the need to check my gun and for me to be in his car.

I asked him if there was a legal reason why he was making this point and was I under arrest.

He said no and then told me that I could get out of the car and have a good day.

this whole situation took about 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time that I was pulled over until I got back in my truck to drive away.

This really isn't that big of a deal but I don't think that I should of been given the PC crap about having an unloaded, cased, and legal rifle in my truck.

I have a great deal of respect all of the guys who put their lives on the line to protect the lives of all of us on a daily basis. I don't mean any disrespect to any LE guys.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:16:20 AM EDT by jblachly]
A lot of people say this very casually, but I would really, truly talk to a lawyer.

Did this happen in Alabama??

You were way too accomodating with the guy, by the way. There is no reason for you to be locked up in the backseat of the cruiser while he performs an illegal search (you didn't give consent, did you?) of your vehicle.

Telling "Mr. Officer Sir" how much you respect him and his right to do blah-blah isn't going to make him go any easier on you if he's already the type to detain you for merely transporting a scary-looking rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:17:00 AM EDT
I think a good healthy "Fuck You" would have been appropriate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:20:10 AM EDT by Collin]
Bullshit. What that officer did is bullshit. Did you give him permission to search your car? If not, then he shouldn't have done it. If ever asked again, say "no", you may not search my car. When he starts to question your choice of weapon, politely tell him that it is a legal rifle used for legal purposes and that is all you have to say about that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:17:40 AM EDT
ok where's the oh geez not this S*** again pic
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:18:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:22:30 AM EDT by P806]
powers
Post Number :: 37

AL, USA

What's his name and dept, I'd like to give him a call.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:20:18 AM EDT
LEO's are fine. That guy sounds like a complete asshole. Sniper rifle? WTF? Shouldn't own it because it's not suitable for hunting?

What a complete prick.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:24:09 AM EDT

He then asked me to get out of the vehicle and then he put me in the cruiser ( I understand this was for his safety and that it perfectly oK with me)

why the fuck are you ok with that?
the gun was in a case out of your reach. that JBT was in no danger from it
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:24:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:34:27 AM EDT by ZW17]
Reason #158 to NEVER GIVE CONSENT TO SEARCH PEOPLE!

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:26:11 AM EDT
an hour??? WTF. Ammunition in ones car should not be a reason to search or mags or anything else. Its a legal fucking product. We have to get pissed about this now before it goes too far, and it already has!! He wasted an hour of your life when he has no reason to believe your weapon is stolen. The fact that this guy isnt pissed makes me think..
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:26:12 AM EDT

would you mind telling us where in AL this was?

also, you don't happen to look middle eastern, do you?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:26:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ZW17:
Reason #158 to NEVER GIVE CONCENT TO SEARCH PEOPLE!

+1000

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:26:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Collin:
Bullshit. What that officer did is bullshit. Did you give him permission to search your car? If not, then he shouldn't have done it. If ever asked again, say "no", you may not search my car. When he starts to question your choice of weapon, politely tell him that it is a legal rifle used for legal purposes and that is all you have to say about that.

+1

he was an idiot
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:29:46 AM EDT

Yeah, CONCENT!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:30:55 AM EDT
It did happen in AL. Hoover, AL to be exact.

He never asked me if he could search my vehicle, he just told me to get out of the vehicle. My philosophy is that the right attitude and mutual respect will usually set the PO at ease and allow him to do his job.

This did piss me off, but the discrepancy will be my word against his and I now know not to take things for granted. I will still carry my AR with me when I damn well please and when I am pushed in a questioning situation, I will request to call my lawyer. If he really he wants to arrest me, he will or he has to let me go.

When it comes down to it, this guy was being an asshole but for every asshole there are 20 other cops doing their job and doing it without the Editorial BS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:31:57 AM EDT
In 77 years (as of yesterday!) in SC, I've never met a pro-gun cop. A very few were neutral on the issue, but most were rabid anti-gun. The way you were treated sounds normal to me.z
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:34:58 AM EDT by Platz]
You had me until you typed "I should of". Nothing says "I'm a dumbass to begin with" faster than that grammatical error.
That being said, contact an attourney and sue for unlawful arrest. Period.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:33:01 AM EDT
He searched your whole car? Not just securing the weapon.

On the outside looking in, if he searched your car, it sounds like an illegal search to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:33:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zoom:
In 77 years (as of yesterday!) in SC, I've never met a pro-gun cop. A very few were neutral on the issue, but most were rabid anti-gun. The way you were treated sounds normal to me.z

Are they all unionized?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:34:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By powers:

He never asked me if he could search my vehicle, he just told me to get out of the vehicle. My philosophy is that the right attitude and mutual respect will usually set the PO at ease and allow him to do his job.

This did piss me off, but the discrepancy will be my word against his and I now know not to take things for granted. I will still carry my AR with me when I damn well please and when I am pushed in a questioning situation, I will request to call my lawyer. If he really he wants to arrest me, he will or he has to let me go.

When it comes down to it, this guy was being an asshole but for every asshole there are 20 other cops doing their job and doing it without the Editorial BS.

The search of your car was illegal, and you were unlawfully detained. The cruiser should have a video camera. Have your lawer subpoena the tape.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:35:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:

Yeah, CONCENT!

Consent.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:35:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
LEO's are fine. That guy sounds like a complete asshole. Sniper rifle? WTF? Shouldn't own it because it's not suitable for hunting?

What a complete prick.

You can hunt with an AR in AL, I've done it before.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:36:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:37:11 AM EDT by chapperjoe]
I wrote a whole polite post about how much this hurts our community and America in general but f*ck that and let it suffice as others ahve said, "never give consent to search". period. If they need to search, they'll bring a superior or a K9 or have to find some damn cause to search. You're doing NOTHING wrong by not consenting. You're not making the officer's job any harder by not consenting. That IS his job. He is an employee of an organization with rules, and he should follow them.

Also it does not say that you consented but from your accomodating attitude I'm guessing you did. Your answer was in no way probable cause to search the car.

My plates (ar15.com) and bumper sticker (the keneddy one) always get a 'are there any weapons in teh car' - to which I usually answer yes and then list them, in order of caliber - only twice have I been asked to step out of the car, never searched or patted down. I denied the search once, asking why he thought it necessary at which point he backed off. The second time he asked if i would step in his car, I said am i under arrest, he said no, I said then I'd rather not, he said can i search car, i said no, and that was that.

neither time were they happy, but it's not like they're NOT gonna wirte you a ticket if you let em search! And that receipt for the gun shit is nuts, I would've asked to see the receipt for his gun first.

ETA: and the sniper comments are great. I would've told him once in a while the voices in my head take human form at rest stops along trucking routes and I'll be damned if I'm gonna have a NON-sniper barrel in my car at that time!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:37:18 AM EDT

Hoover is one of the most well funded departments in AL. I pretty sure all their cars have dash cams. I would file a complaint with city of Hoover today. You need to get the tape secured before it is taped over again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:38:49 AM EDT
I am a blonde hair, blue eyed, white boy who can't dance.

I didn't consent to anything, I just did what was asked of me. I realize that I made mistakes in not demanding the same respect and standing up for my rights. I guess that I am one of those foolish people who live right and do good and assume that others will do the same.

Life lesson, don't assume.

The funny thing is that this guy was Egyptian ( I believe) due to his last name and the backup cop was black. I should of screamed RACIAL PROFILING.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:39:48 AM EDT

okay then NOW you can call a lawyer. first to sue teh agency for some kind of badgering, I don't know what the term is down there. Second ask the lawyer to smack your 'philosophy' out of your head with his briefcase.... Approach and deal with the police (heck , ALL people!) with respect until shown otherwise, but if the LEO is pissing on you, your rights and your beliefs......
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kman84:
ok where's the oh geez not this S*** again pic

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:42:09 AM EDT
Beetle Bailey, Are you the big guy who works at the Gun Cellar? I had just left the gun cellar, went to the grocery store across the road and the tried to get across 31 when I got pulled over.

I think that I recognize you from a picture in a post about the Jefferson County Sherriffs Range.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:47:37 AM EDT
You should have told him to go down to the Gun Cellar (located in the middle of Hoover) and go look at all the AR's hanging on the wall for sale.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:47:50 AM EDT
Sue the shit out of them. Seriously, They are stepping on the rights that you still have and trying to take them away by doing so. Take them for all they are worth. Oh and call the damn NRA. Sometimes they will help out with legal expenses if they believe you have a good case.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 8:55:05 AM EDT by SWIRE]
If he had you step out of the vehicle then the weapon vs his safety was no longer an issue. I was traveling through Missouri and got pulled over with a truck full of guns and gear. The officer never asked if I had any weapons or anything else in the truck, then instead of trying to secure my vehicle he had me come back to his car to do the paperwork. He did the paperwork and I was on my way. He was a nice friendly cop...not a prick like you dealt with. Taking over an hour of your time for nothing is ridiculous. You at least need to file a complaint about being harassed about your legal owned firearms.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:53:49 AM EDT
The last time I was pulled over and ticketed, my car was searched without my consent because that POS said I reached into my back seat and that was reason enough. This guy wasn't even a LEO, he was a security guy that works for the college here and was running a trap on one of the roads NEXT to it. I got pulled over and ticketed for not coming to a complete stop at 11 pm in my own freaking neighborhood. Gee he did such a great service to the everyone because I didn't come to a complete standstill. What a crock of shit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:54:16 AM EDT
Thanks for calling me a dumbass, and you are correct about the gramatical error.

Spell check the word "Attorney".

With that being said, I will take your advice and contact my attorney.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:56:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Platz:
You had me until you typed "I should of". Nothing says "I'm a dumbass to begin with" faster than that grammatical error.
That being said, contact an attourney and sue for unlawful arrest. Period.

Thanks for calling me a dumbass, and you are correct about the gramatical error.

Spell check the word "Attorney".

With that being said, I will take your advice and contact my attorney.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:58:16 AM EDT
Maybe I missed it, but why were you stopped? A criminal traffic violation by chance?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:59:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 9:03:48 AM EDT by powers]
I entered an intersection that was crowded and all movement of traffic stopped and I was blocking the intersection as the opposing light turned green.

Nothing criminal, just a moving violation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:00:25 AM EDT
What exactly are a person's rights when they get pulled over?

Lets say I'm carrying a gun in my car in the backseat in a case. The case is fully visible. I get pulled over for speeding and the officer asks if I have any weapons in the car. I say "Yes" and he asks to search the car. I have just committed a crime (speeding) and admitted to having a weapon in the car which is visible is this enough reason for him to hold me and do a search even if I tell him no?

Where can a person find out the actual laws?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:02:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 9:03:10 AM EDT by happycynic]

Originally Posted By star2323:

Lets say I'm carrying a gun in my car in the backseat in a case. The case is fully visible. I get pulled over for speeding and the officer asks if I have any weapons in the car. I say "Yes" and he asks to search the car. I have just committed a crime (speeding) and admitted to having a weapon in the car which is visible is this enough reason for him to hold me and do a search even if I tell him no?

Simple answer is never give consent, but follow orders.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:03:01 AM EDT
about 6 years ago I was stopped for speeding and have about 8-10 guns in the back of my truck, I had a pickup truck and no shell, guns were all cased. had couple handguns in the truck too, only one was loaded but I pulled the mag out and locked the slide back and put it on the dash in plainer view, it was already in plain view on the seat. Did this before stopping, didn't want to be touching a gun when the cop was approaching.

Asked for my DL and registration which I gave, cop didn't touch the guns or run serial numbers, I volunteered I was on the way to the range before he even asked, he complemented me on my colt series 70 govt model (the one I put on the dash), gave me a ticket, and off I went. Took about 10 mins time total.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:04:54 AM EDT

The applicable laws varie state to state, just as the attitude of the officer towards your firearms will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:06:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By happycynic:

Simple answer is never give consent, but follow orders.

It's a bit much to remember, but my phrase is...

"I will not obstruct any legal search, but I do not give any consent to search my (vehicle. property, person)"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:07:47 AM EDT
Ok, I'll say it again for those not paying attention.

The police are not your friends.

They exist to enforce the law.

Your cooperation can and WILL be used against you.

You will not be given the benefit of the doubt, and you should act as if you are guilty of something, even if you aren't.

Nothing good can ever come from you volunteering information that isn't pertinent to the cop's immediate questions.

Don't be a prick, but be polite yet firm, and assume that you are the target of the investigation.

Individual LEO's may be good people, trying to do the "noble" thing, but remember, the police are there to investigate suspected crimes and to make arrests.

There is NOTHING to be gained not seeing that your rights are fully exercised. Just use common sense.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 9:10:22 AM EDT by powers]
thanks Magnum, I guess that the rule is "Assume the worst":

Do we have any law enforcement responses or opinions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:09:12 AM EDT

Do we have any law enforcement responses?

Former LEO and I responded numerous times.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:10:14 AM EDT

No, cause they know that the cop fucked up too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:12:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jimtash9:
This guy wasn't even a LEO.

so why the fuck did you pull over?
or wasn't it possible to tell he wasn't leo until after he got to the car?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:14:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

Wrong at least 4 have responded so far.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:15:36 AM EDT

Beetle Bailey, Are you the big guy who works at the Gun Cellar? I had just left the gun cellar, went to the grocery store across the road and the tried to get across 31 when I got pulled over.

I think that I recognize you from a picture in a post about the Jefferson County Sherriffs Range.

Im inbound
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:15:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:

Originally Posted By jimtash9:
This guy wasn't even a LEO.

so why the fuck did you pull over?
or wasn't it possible to tell he wasn't leo until after he got to the car?

Campus cop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:15:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:17:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

Wrong at least 4 have responded so far.

My bad
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top