Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2007 9:29:36 PM EDT
My eldest son was out washing my car for me, I'm in the garage looking at my neighbors new bike (Colnago C-50) when my son yells that someone has hopped into our 'hood and the helicopter has him spotlighted.

I yelled to the wife to open the safe, run in and grab the 1911 come back out and he's on my property hidding!

my son has the back of the house covered with the shotgun (numbnuts grabbed BIRDSHOT)

The perp was 6'3" 20 ish man that was dressed in baggy clothing

He stood on my driveway 20' from me I yelled for him to get his ass on the ground (1911 was pointed at his torso)

He calmly walked away then jumped a fence and tried to flee on a bicycle path behind our tract.

he jumped back into our tract 2 cul de sac's down and was cought by L.A. Sheriffs.

Last I saw of him he was stuffed & cuffed in the back of 1 of 6 squad cars that called on him

all this and we live in the safest part of the city
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:31:28 PM EDT
He must have been unimpressed with your 1911.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:32:54 PM EDT
Shoulda shot him.

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:34:12 PM EDT
car washing and draw downs are a hot topic here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:35:01 PM EDT
DAMN!!

Glad everything went OK for you and yours. It really says something about these punk f@@@ers when there's a 1911 drawn on them and they just skip off into the sunset ignoring you. Society has conditioned them to not be afraid of any type of authority cause nobody can do a damn thing to them. Pisses me off and I could go on an hour long rant about it but I wont.

Again, congrats on being safe.

And birdshot will still f@@k somebody up!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:36:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 11:37:51 PM EDT by VTwin60]

Originally Posted By Melvinator2k0:

I was just thinking the same thing, wtf is it with car washing and drawing down?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:37:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 9:39:02 PM EDT by acegunner]
Damn...action

Hell yea

ETA: In before the "all of the good shit happens to people with a low post count"
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:38:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By subjectofcalifornia:

Apparently not.

Roy
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:38:56 PM EDT
Can you shoot in that situation?

I don't think you can...
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:39:49 PM EDT
these things always happen to members with a post count of under 300
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:39:57 PM EDT
We will give you some time to calm down then the AAR.....

Nevermind this is arfcom

My advice when a helo has a suspect spotted, by all means arm your self and prepare to defend you castle... but to approach a man that the po po have in sight with a weapon is not a prudent move. That said good job glad everyone is safe
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:42:12 PM EDT
13 pages and a lock

3 account locks- 1 permanent
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:44:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rdsr:

Apparently not.

Roy

They got roads, goblin got lost in the high speed chase.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:45:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:
He must have been unimpressed with your 1911.

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 9:47:50 PM EDT by subjectofcalifornia]
can't shoot unless he atacked

I joked with the kids that i called him towards me

Yes I was prepared to lower the firearm when the pro's came up

and it was kept close to the chest when light was on me and I had cover with the
corner of the house

all the time I was yelling at ms sons to turn the lights off in the house and for the eldest to flank him, he was hidding next to my house between the r.v. and the house

it flushed him out to the open

youngest asked why I grabbed the 1911 My m1a jams more than I would want and I have not fired the garand yet so no trust in it yet

and the .45 was easier to handle & hide
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:49:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VTwin60:

[rfol2] I was just thinking the same thing, wtf is it with car washing and drawing down?

Was it a pressure washer? and did you "pick it up" at Wal-Mart?

Otherwise, Glad everyone got to go home safe.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:51:23 PM EDT

This morning around 3 A.M. I was performing my bi annual truck wash and I thought that very thing.

I did keep an eye out though
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:52:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 10:03:49 PM EDT by pulpsmack]
Glad to hear everything was all right, but you picked the wrong state to play Rob Roy. Some times you end up on COPS as the kick-ass bystander who has the BG covered for the boys in blue to cuff and stuff, and sometimes you end up in a first year law student's criminal casebook in the chapter illustrating where the use of deadly force in the "great state" of Kalifornia is NOT justified. I know it's annoying to the Nth degree to hear someone second-guessing the chain of events from an adrenaline free office chair, but it might have been the best course of action to grab that 1911 and secure your family inside the house, as natural as the instinct is to defend one's neighborhood.

I got into a shootout a few years ago at this place only a few blocks from where I live. I needed some air last night, so I grabbed a pair of 1911s and took a stroll down memory lane (where I also go jogging from time to time). On my way home, I caught my mark: a lanky hoodrat who was in the area by himself. This is a place where people often bring their dates get some alone time from Big Momma's house, and the only people out there alone at night are generally homeless or thugs, and this piece of shit didn't look homeless. He started following me on my way home in the dark, desolate streets. I made eye contact and faced him (still a block behind following like a cat) demonstrating I knew he was there. He backed off but I caught him paralleling me a block later.

There is a time in a man's life where the temptation exists to plant one's back to a wall, listen for footsteps, leap out with an 11.25mm portal of death leveled at the drugged out scumfuck's head and demand to know what the fuck he wants. But that invites the consequences of a situation that in my case could have been avoided. I saw my chance to shake the S.O.B. when I rounded the next corner and I took it. It was the right thing to do.

If there is a possibility to secure yourself and your loved ones, or an escape route outside of the home, make use of it. that's my take on it at least.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:53:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 10:03:54 PM EDT

I yelled for him to get his ass on the ground (1911 was pointed at his torso)...He calmly walked away...

Find a support group for short people in your area. Talk with family members, close friends, your clergyman if applicable. Explain how you feel that everyone is looking over you. With help, you'll get beyond this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 10:07:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:

If only he had waited to tell his story after one more post...
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 10:10:02 PM EDT

and it was kept close to the chest when light was on me and I had cover with the
corner of the house

all the time I was yelling at ms sons to turn the lights off in the house and for the eldest to flank him, he was hidding next to my house between the r.v. and the house

youngest asked why I grabbed the 1911 My m1a jams more than I would want and I have not fired the garand yet so no trust in it yet

Where is your AR?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 10:19:37 PM EDT
I'm in fricken CA

it's only a lower!

.308 ammo has kept me po'
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 10:58:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Primos:

Shoulda shot him.

he lives in Kali ,
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 11:10:47 PM EDT by DrFrige]
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:12:10 PM EDT

My eldest son was out washing my car for me, I'm in the garage looking at my neighbors new bike (Colnago C-50) when my son yells that someone has hopped into our 'hood and the helicopter has him spotlighted.

I yelled to the wife to open the safe, run in and grab the 1911 come back out and he's on my property hidding!

my son has the back of the house covered with the shotgun (numbnuts grabbed BIRDSHOT)

The perp was 6'3" 20 ish man that was dressed in baggy clothing

He stood on my driveway 20' from me I yelled for him to get his ass on the ground (1911 was pointed at his torso)

He calmly walked away then jumped a fence and tried to flee on a bicycle path behind our tract.

he jumped back into our tract 2 cul de sac's down and was cought by L.A. Sheriffs.

Last I saw of him he was stuffed & cuffed in the back of 1 of 6 squad cars that called on him

You should have retreated into your home and locked all the doors and windows. It was a mistake to get your gun and go outside and confront the BG. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2007 11:17:20 PM EDT by abnk]

I'm sorry, but I find that hilarious. Did you scream in a high-pitched voice?

There was another draw-down story a couple of months back where, in a similar situation, the perpetrator actually advanced toward the arfcommer who left his appartment to confront the Peeping Tom.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:20:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:29:20 PM EDT

corner of the house

so you left the safety(relative) of your house and attempted to get your children involved in the apprehension of a wanted fugitive by a civilian.

you get the parent of the year award.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 11:48:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:

Originally Posted By JackBurton:

I don't think you can...

You mean as "He calmly walked away then jumped a fence and tried to flee..."?

No, if he leaves he's no longer a threat. Best to let all the cops in the area do their jobs. The OP did his job by defending his home.

OTOH, if the tries to invade the home, that's a different story.

just have to yell: HE'S COMIN' RIGHT FOR US!!

just like jimbo and ned do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:43:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 12:46:29 AM EDT by chrome1]
If there is one simple rule that I've learned over the years it's this :

Crazy people don't fear guns , especially handguns .

Rule 2 , there's a bunch of crazy mofo's out there .

I would have simply shown him that I was armed and said something like
" Your Choice " and left it at that . You knew that he was actively being sought
by the police who were near by . Now I don't know about you , but the last thing
I want to be is the guy holding the gun while standing over somebody on the ground
in a situation like that

Protect yourself and your family , beyond that you're taking an unnecessary
risk for little to no gain . Unfortunately in today's society and legal system . It's
way to easy for the good guy ending up being the one who pays the price ...

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:54:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JackBurton:

I don't think you can...

Definitely not - at least as it was described. To be able to shoot a fleeing felon - you need to have (in most cases) witnessed the perp commit the felony, have a reasonable belief that he is going to get away, and the kicker, have a reasonable belief that innocent life is in immediate and unavoidable danger. (Essentially, almost every shooting situation will ultimately be judged by that last part).

Now if he rushes you, goes for a weapon, etc, you're free to rock and roll. You gotta be careful in this case though - the guy could have been running because he was DUI (misdemeanor) - not necessarily because he just committed a violent felony.

Sounds like our car washer did a good job. Kept his family safe, got the perp off his property, and went home when it was all over.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:35:24 AM EDT
Good job

Here's the converstion from the helicopter po po.

It looks like there's 2 of them now, one of them has a gun, shoot him first.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:02:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rike:
Good job

Here's the converstion from the helicopter po po.

It looks like there's 2 of them now, one of them has a gun, shoot him first.

Couldn't be more true.

Police were once chasing someone through my neighborhood during the day (in CA too) with search helicopters flying around. I was in my backyard at the time when I heard the sirens and saw the choppers, so I went over to the back gate to see if I could catch a glimpse of what was going on in the streets.

Seconds later guess who pops into view from my gate ready to draw down, the PoPo.

The cop said "sorry, the helicopters thought you were a suspect hiding out in someones backyard"

You're lucky the helicopters didn't see you holding a gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:24:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:49:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 9:50:23 AM EDT by Nighthawk7]
Does anybody know if subofcali would have ordered the perp to the ground and if he didn't comply and nail him say in the thigh with a rubber baton or bean bag round to subdue him, is that legal?

I'm almost sure the guy's actions of walking away tell me this turd has done time.

I'm sure a civil action would follow after tagging his ass with a less-than-leathal projectile especially if he doesn't wear the same after-shave as you do.

Might very well have been arrested too.

Crimminals always capitalize off of some states weak protection laws.

Anyway glad to hear that you and your boy are OK!!

btw: even a game load up close can be lethal if utillized corectly!!

Never underestimate the killing power of one of these up close.

Many have done just that on the bad end of the barrel and are not among us now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:04:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeyIsaacs:

Originally Posted By VTwin60:

[rfol2] I was just thinking the same thing, wtf is it with car washing and drawing down?

Was it a pressure washer? and did you "pick it up" at Wal-Mart?

Otherwise, Glad everyone got to go home safe.

hmm perfect day, and perfect arfcom post. 10/10

car washing and draw down, a perfect ying/yang in harmony.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:09:00 AM EDT

Shoulda shot him.

Right, because you should always shoot someone that is posing no danger to you and when you have no fucking idea what is going on.

Then it turns out the guy had a baggie of weed and just didn't want to spend the night in jail. And you ended his life. Because he stood in your driveway.

Get a life.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:17:19 AM EDT
Still doesnt counter to the issue at hand that perps are not afraid of guns becasue you shoot and they or their family will sue your ass off. This goes for cops just as much as regular citizens. Accountability and Responsibility...are words that americans need to learn.

Stop pointing the finger at someone else and turn it on yourself. It would make this a better place than it is.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:17:25 AM EDT

But has been a member for over two years. Not everyone feels like arfcom's their very own little slumber party where every little musing must be aired for mass consumption. Post count means nothing except maybe you don't have enough to do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 10:28:05 AM EDT by California_Kid]

Shoulda shot him.

The perp knew damn well it wouldn't have been a lawful shoot. That's why he walked away.

can't shoot unless he atacked...

Or forcefully broke into the house.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:29:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DarkNite:

But has been a member for over two years. Not everyone feels like arfcom's their very own little slumber party where every little musing must be aired for mass consumption. Post count means nothing except maybe you don't have enough to do.

Um. You are wrong. Do a bit of site research, skooter!

Even if the BG had run directly toward the OP, OP would have went to jail. Yes, I lived in CA for a long time. It would be hard to convince a CA jury that you did not purposely place yourself in danger. Hell, it is hard enough for cops to fight BS cases like that.........
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:38:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wildearp:

Even if the BG had run directly toward the OP, OP would have went to jail. Yes, I lived in CA for a long time. It would be hard to convince a CA jury that you did not purposely place yourself in danger. Hell, it is hard enough for cops to fight BS cases like that.........

wtf are you talking about?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:45:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:47:17 AM EDT
You mean the bad guy didn't sh&t his pants when he saw the huge barrel of the .45 looking at him?

At least you should have gotten you pump action and racked the forearm to really scare him and make him sh&t his pants! Racked it twice for maximum effect!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:59:44 AM EDT

You sound like an awesome dad!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 11:04:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 11:05:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By California_Kid:

Shoulda shot him.

The perp knew damn well it wouldn't have been a lawful shoot. That's why he walked away.

can't shoot unless he atacked...

Or forcefully broke into the house.

Just don't tell anyone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 11:48:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2007 11:52:18 AM EDT by wildearp]

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:

If the OP had a reasonable fear of imminent danger and could articulate that to responding cops, there would be no cause for arrest.

Can you cite a similar case from the "long time" you lived in CA?

Do a little research skooter.

Op says he retrieved his gun while he could have been taking shelter. Study up! A guy hiding is not an imminent danger or threat. I had the ghetto bird over my shack many times.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 11:50:52 AM EDT

wtf are you talking about?

Post count does seem to be a trend in these sorts of posts. I am typing slow so you can understand.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:01:29 PM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top