Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 3:10:25 PM EDT
but, is there an email virus still alive somewhere? I have received a few 123k(ish) sized emails from a few members(hank, rkbar15, and I forget the others) that are blank when I open them. Have you guys sent me legit email? I LOVE getting mail.[:D] I know hank was sending out stuff for the southern freedom shoot, which I didn't get, though I won't be able to make it.[:(]
I use a hotmail account and don't believe the virus,if it is a virus, is getting into my system. Is anyone else having this issue? If I am sending out crap to anyone, please let me know and I will fix it from my end.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had anti-virus and it was consistantly updated, why would I worry?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's Klez dude. I get 2-3 Klez infected emails a day from people I don't know. I just delete them and go on. I tried to tell people but when the volume started picking up, I figured that if they don't have an updated virus scanner on their system to catch it then too bad.

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Your new aren't you....this has been going around for a while now...something like the Klex virus

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a survey from I LIKE LEGS   I deleted it though.

If I was cool then post it to the board.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem with Klez is that the "sender" on the e-mail isn't the source of the virus.  I came back after being gone for 16 days and had notification that people had recently received infected e-mail from me - that couldn't possibly be from me, because my computer hadn't been on to send jack shite.

Klez sends itself from computer "A" while tacking the address of "B" to the "from" block.

Irritating.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
You are probably getting them from people who don't have a virus scanner running and scanning all of their incoming and outgoing mail.

I was getting hit multiple times by mail with the Klez virus in it...from people purporting to be members of AR15.com.  Not necessarily true.  What is happening is that the Klez is infecting the unwary or foolish among us without protection, getting into their email address book, grabbing the addresses and immediately sending out infected messages.  When it does it, it often spoofs the recipient by using the address of a third party as the sender.  You will never know who really sent it.  It could be anybody in the world.

If you don't already have an UP-TO-DATE virus scanner running and checking all incoming and outgoing mail..get one tonight and set it up.

Also, I asked GoatBoy what I could do here at this site to lessen the hits and he told me to turn OFF (select NO) the "show e-mail" option in your Profile set up page.  I now receive about one virus a week vice half a dozen a night.

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Klez is a BITCH!

But, on a happier note, if you are a "Team AR15.com" member and utilize our e-mail services (pop3 mail OR WebMail), WE'VE GOT
'YA COVERED!  [8D]  We scan ALL inbound AND outbound mail for potential virus content.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Hotmail deletes the infected attachment from your email. That's about the only thing that is is good about Hotmail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I read my e-mail on a UNIX box, so I laugh at puny win32 virii/worms before disecting them.  If you don't want to worry about that crap, [b]STOP USING MS OUTLOOK FOR YOUR MAIL![/b]  It really is that simple.  Exchange client/Outlook has been one of the biggest end user security threats for years, yet people still keep using it.  MS enables "features" that make these damn things possible, yet people won't stop using Outlook.  Farking dumb.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I read my e-mail on a UNIX box, so I laugh at puny win32 virii/worms before disecting them.  If you don't want to worry about that crap, [b]STOP USING MS OUTLOOK FOR YOUR MAIL![/b]  It really is that simple.  Exchange client/Outlook has been one of the biggest end user security threats for years, yet people still keep using it.  MS enables "features" that make these damn things possible, yet people won't stop using Outlook.  Farking dumb.
View Quote

That makes about as much since as saying, "Just stop using computers if you don't want to spread a virus."  Most people are not expert Unix/Linux users and Outlook Express is the only thing they know.  Better advice is that everyone needs to install an email scanning anti-virus program Like Norton Anti-Virus and keep it updated.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]www.pcmedixwebs.com/mail_washer.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Why would anyone us Outlook?  Hellmost ISP provide Email accountsand theres always hotmail and Yahoo.  These are actually easier to set up then Outlook.

And he never even suggested people use Unix.  The fact is this, if you are going to use a computer (High tech machine) you should learn how the hell to use it properly.  When you buy a car you learn to drive don't you?  Computing is the samee way.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why would anyone us Outlook?  Hellmost ISP provide Email accountsand theres always hotmail and Yahoo.  These are actually easier to set up then Outlook.

And he never even suggested people use Unix.  The fact is this, if you are going to use a computer (High tech machine) you should learn how the hell to use it properly.  When you buy a car you learn to drive don't you?  Computing is the samee way.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Hey, I agree with you about learning how to use the computer.  I was just trying bring up the point that most people who use computers learn how to use what they are provided with and stick with it.  I see it all the time.  Not everyone is interested in learning all aspects of their computer.  Also, I never said he suggested people use Unix.  I said, "Most people are not expert Unix/Linux users".  Your typical Unix/Linux user is pretty advanced.  I use both Linux and Windows.  I also use Outlook Express on my Windows box.  I have all the security updates and I scan for viruses on outgoing and incoming email.  I've never had a problem with a virus in the 22 years I've used a PC.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Why do I use Outlook vice Hotmail or Yahoo?
My real email address is private, I can set up my options way easyer than Hotmail or Yahoo, plus I have more options.
Oh yea, I don't have to wait on an entire webpage full of bullshit adds to load just to read my 2 emails and 35 pieces of spam.
I would use the AR15.com mail but it takes too long to download email.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I've gotten dozens of these e-mails. I never open them. I didn't send any e-mail from that account in months. I refresh my virus protection pattern file on a daily basis, don't use MS [b]LOOKOUT[/b] and I have installed all MS OS and IE security updates.  

One of the ways the virus sends out e-mail is to harvest e-mail addresses from cached web pages that have displayed e-mail addys.  Just keep your virus protection up to date and delete any e-mail you weren't expecting or can't verify.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top