Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2001 9:42:58 PM EDT
I want cut down my berrel so I can have a silencer installed and not make the gun any longer.(with in all NFA rules)

To do this I will need to cut the berrel down to 11",what I want to know is will I be able to hit any thing with just a 11" berrel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Just remember to get really close to your target and swing really hard! [;D]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont see why you wouldn't be able to shoot acuratley.

The question is can it be done legally?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#4]
No your are very righ,and not even the only guy to tell me that.

I ran in to a buddy who is a class3 and he siad the same thing.

What I really want is for some onr with a 11" berrel to let me know how well it shots.

If I stay in the 10 ring out to about 200 yeards I will be happy.

I can really only hit what I want from 75 but that will give me something to work on[:D]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With M193, bullet fragmentation range from an 11.5" barrel is about 30 yards.  With M855, it's about 5-8 yards.  That may be slightly reduced with a can.  Just something to think about.

-Troy
View Quote

What is it with a 14.5 inch barrel?or a 16 inch barrel.Where do you get these stats?I shoot at buckets of water with my M4 at 100 yds and the bucket is full of fragment when using M855 ball.

sopmodm4
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd swear that my last post was ona different subject!Weird
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Tatoo, you ask if my can is 5", the smallest one I can find is 6" do you or any one know a good place to buy them?

My class3 guy will make one but he dose not really do that much of that and can't make it work if it's under 11".
Thats to damn big!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:23:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want cut down my berrel so I can have a silencer installed and not make the gun any longer.(with in all NFA rules)

To do this I will need to cut the berrel down to 11",what I want to know is will I be able to hit any thing with just a 11" berrel?
View Quote

What is a berrel? Do you have to take any kind of written test for that LEO job? Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#10]
[>:/]are you the typo police? anal butt head![:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X]
[:X][:X][:X]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Spelling police, not typo police, correct?  'Berrel' was mispelled three times, unlikely to be a typo.

While we are at it, I'll be the grammar police:

S/B [i]I don't want mine to be [b]too[/b] small![/i]

not [i]I don't want mine to be [b]to[/b] small![/i]

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
[:|].............................anyway

What if a got a BARREL that was 1:12 not the stock 1:9 I have now.
Will this help make some lost accuracy?

PS: Does any one have experience with quick disconnect accessories?
Will this sys. last long?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What is it with a 14.5 inch barrel?or a 16 inch barrel.Where do you get these stats?I shoot at buckets of water with my M4 at 100 yds and the bucket is full of fragment when using M855 ball.
sopmodm4
View Quote

The (steel/aluminum?)bucket may be causing the fragmentation, not necessarily the soft medium. Sure, when I shoot M193 at a steel gong 300yds away, it will fragment perfectly every time. Shoot it into a body at that distance and it may not. What Troy is quoting is based on studies that show that M193 only fragments well at or above 2700fps in soft tissue or gelatin. They take that figure, couple it with figures for velocity loss from a shorter barrel and "POOF"-you have your effective range for fragmentation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With M193, bullet fragmentation range from an 11.5" barrel is about 30 yards.  With M855, it's about 5-8 yards.  That may be slightly reduced with a can.  Just something to think about.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy what tests do you base your statment on?

M855 fragments out to 50 meters out of a 10" barrel, and a can will increase the fragmentation range.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
sopmodm4
View Quote

The (steel/aluminum?)bucket may be causing the fragmentation, not necessarily the soft medium. Sure, when I shoot M193 at a steel gong 300yds away, it will fragment perfectly every time. Shoot it into a body at that distance and it may not. What Troy is quoting is based on studies that show that M193 only fragments well at or above 2700fps in soft tissue or gelatin. They take that figure, couple it with figures for velocity loss from a shorter barrel and "POOF"-you have your effective range for fragmentation.
View Quote

They are thin plastic containers for taking concrete samples.They can easily be torn in half by hand at the notch in the buckets tip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Why in the world do you need an 11" rifle OR a silencer on an AR?

You're definitely not "in the business" of using something like this regularly or else you would already have the expertise readily available to provide you with this type of weapon.

Yeah, that silencer will make an AR "quiet."  ROTFLMAO.  You know, you will hear that bolt slamming shut, and it's LOUD too!  Not to mention when the bolt rocks back and lets out gas.  

TV and movies crack me up when the silencers make that cute little *beeeeuuurrp* sound.  So unrealistic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-Troy
View Quote

What he said, short thingy = low velocity!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[>:/]are you the typo police? anal butt head![:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X][:X]
[:X][:X][:X]
View Quote

The official title is Grammar Nazi. Cant you see the little bar at the bottom that says Spell Check? Its a wonderful thing!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Spelling police, not typo police, correct?  'Berrel' was mispelled three times, unlikely to be a typo.

While we are at it, I'll be the grammar police:

S/B [i]I don't want mine to be [b]too[/b] small![/i]

not [i]I don't want mine to be [b]to[/b] small![/i]

View Quote

Try this while you're at it [URL]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=50119[/URL]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Tailgate, yep the sound of the bolt and you forgot the sonic crack as in bullet breaks the sound barrier.

All I need is the OPINION of someone with an 11" and I had a legal question as well.

I'm sorry I did not consult you and find out whether or not you addroved of my plans.[;D]

Some of the people in here are funcking cock suckers that need a damn life.
But the others(most) that are ok that for your help!
The rest of you go get fucked.[:I]

Take my God damn name of this fucking web site it's getting over run by smart ass people and knee jerks!

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#22]
How can someone butcher the english language THAT bad! Siad is just a typo,and so is dose but addroved?
      A mind is a terrible thing!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
a2car,the world is full of a'holes,but this site does seem to have a higher percentage of them than average.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
What araddict said.  I certainly don't care if someone makes a spelling mistake.  Usually correcting a spelling or grammer error only creates hard feelings and wastes time.  Get a life all you professers, I mean losers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
a2car,

whoa there pilgrim, calm down a bit.

There is no need to post with that kind of language. I am a firm supportter of the bill of rights, but this is a family oriented site , so please imply the words instead of spelling them out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
if you cut the barrel to 11" i think you would have to have the can pinned on (perment)to bring it to 16"( is your can 5" at least?) or pay $200 tax and regester as a short barreled gun then you could take the can off and use as is. if im wrong let me know please.
View Quote

Your right but the short barrel tax is not $200
it's only $15 I belive but it's still the 90day
wait.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]
beleve me - propur grammer iz important - espeshully on boards like this one.  when a non-guner comes to a sigghhtt like this and seez shiteee spelling and punkshuashun, it makes us luk like moronz.  dont be mad at us cuz you are to lazee to phucking spell korectlee.  pepul are giving you a hard time about yure kwestion because berelz below 14.5" suck on an AR.  where is Col. Santose when you need him?  spind more time in the trublshuting forum and less time in the gd forum and you wil lern to!

tate
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
the key combination "alt and f4 " will fix all of your english problems![:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top