Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 9:18:10 AM EDT
I personally can't sympathize when people agonize over a little scratch on a $200 survival bowie or such. Come on, if you're going to do that you're better off not buying it in the first place. I think certain tools like knives, Glocks, etc look better with some finish wear on them. At least there's a story behind it. (I would agree with those who don't want to mess up a perfectly blued old Smith revolver something).

But knives are like hammers - good ones are made for use and abuse. Take a good blade like Strider and Mad Dog, and break it in by killing a junk car with it, or slashing a pile of steel belted radials. Honor those knifemakers craft by using their tools as tools - for the purpose they were meant to have.

This is my opinion. How do you stand on this?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a friend who worries about getting nicks and scratches on his hunting rifle, me hey I'm with you, it's a tool scratches and dings will happen, they add a story.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, w/ one exception.... bought a 1 of 500 "Intruder" Bowie, (#240) from Cold Steel and upon arrival I placed it in the fine leather sheath and the numb-nuts left an uncovered rivet (attaching the belt loop) which place'd a nice long scratch on the "blued" finish on the backside of the blade....., That made me upset![pissed]

For the most part, except w/ collectibles I use my tools.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel the same.  However, I do have a strong aversion to getting a "tool" scratched, until I accidently get the first scratch.  Then it's all good.

TS
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Buck knife that was given to me as a thank you for a job well done, The company that gave it had it engraved with my name and the company name and date.

I took it Elk hunting one year and used it as a hammer by striking an other knife to break the pelvic bone on the elk I killed, this left a couple of deep dents in the brass pommel.

I regreted doing this cause it reduced its status from an award to a tool which I contued to carry and use, many people who saw it asked about the dents, and always seemed to appreciate the story behind my succseful hunt.

After 25 years the knife is 'retired' to my gun safe where I keep it with some of my most treasured 'tools' and memories. [smile]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
same thougts here. one of my favorite knives is an old reeve mark iv. the finish is nearly worn off in along the blade and in other places. (i beleive its a hard chemical finish.) i love it. i'm thinking that if i send it back this summer to have the edge reground, i would have to ensure that it not be "refinished" in any way accidentally. and theres no way i'd ever even consider trading it for a new knife.

the only wear and scratches i detest are those from misuse or negligence. everything else jsut adds character.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll agree that a tool you use will likely get dinged and scratched with use.

OTOH, I'll admit to trying to keep my toys as like-new as possible.

So, there it is...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I know what you mean.  I have a buddy that complains about .00029 micron rust particles on a gun or magazine.  Even if it's brand friggin' new it isn't really new to him if he sees a rust spot.  My main question about a used gun is "Does it go bang, every time?"

Just drives me crazy.    [heavy]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My tool is still scratchless and has no dings.  Even pretty or so I've been told.

Although it only works intermittently now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My tool is still scratchless and has no dings.  Even pretty or so I've been told.

Although it only works intermittently now.
View Quote

ROFLMMFAO

TS
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
kinda the same way with alot of things

i somehow pooled together 6000 bucks to build my first race car, perfectly straight, newly painted, shiny decals, etc......

wouldnt hardly keep the pedal down on it for fear i'd get too close to the pack............until the first asshole ran into the side of it

to the infield, break out the welding maching and the hammer and rivet gun...............back on the track to beat the hell out of that son of a bitch, it was  a racecar afterall
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the look of good honest wear, too.  

I like the look of a wear mark where a rifle has been carried by the barrel/reciever junction, or little dings on the stock.

I cannot stand the mark of a wood or metal butcher, like a sawed off military stock or buggered up screws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top