Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2004 5:35:30 PM EDT

I have never felt that the Bible, New Testament, says you have to give 10% to the church. Didn't Jesus say to give of a willing heart? I think rich greedy "preachers" use the 10% "rule" to extort money from people.

So, which denomination of Christianity is best for me? I've heard the the Church of Christ doesn't require you to give 10%. Is this true?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
A withdraw of 10%
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No church 'requires' you to give $. They all preach it though. I have never been to a church where they haven't said that you should give 10%. So go to a denomination you like and just dont give.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]

I have heard of some churches auto withdrawing 10% for members from their bank accounts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have never felt that the Bible, New Testament, says you have to give 10% to the church. Didn't Jesus say to give of a willing heart? I think rich greedy "preachers" use the 10% "rule" to extort money from people.

So, which denomination of Christianity is best for me? I've heard the the Church of Christ doesn't require you to give 10%. Is this true?

You are absolutely correct. Nowhere in the New Testament is it preached that you should give 10%.  Everywhere we read of giving in the New Testament it was with a willing heart and nearly always EVERYTHING they had! 10% is looking mighty good now isn't it? Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard of some churches auto withdrawing 10% for members from their bank accounts.

Sounds a bit like stealing to me. Isnt your tithe supposed to be voluntary.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe it is the Bible that says give 1/10.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The gleeful giver is a good thing but the tithe is part of the mosiac code or the law that was put to death on the cross, there is no way you can gain by tithing except maybe indignation or wrath for crucifying Christ again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No church 'requires' you to give $. They all preach it though. I have never been to a church where they haven't said that you should give 10%. So go to a denomination you like and just dont give. hr

I'd feel like a hypocrite if I did that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Catholicism.  Since all the scandals, when I go I don't give anything and don't have to feel bad about it.  I spend my money on Mel Gibson movies instead.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What, preachers get paid?  Interesting.  Most folks I know who do church work don't get paid.  Zip.  The money goes to the upkeep and supplies of the church, plus charities.

What church are you looking at?

MHO only:

The principle of tithing, or voluntarily giving one tenth of one’s income to God’s work, has been known since Old Testament times. Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek (Genesis 14:17–20).

btw,

No offense, but are you really seeking another denomination or just  trolling.

We've had a rash of running around lately.

If you are truely interested, please proceed.  If this is just a way of kicking shit up.  Please stop.

On a side know, what do you shoot?  Since this is a gun board after all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Who cares if you feel like a hypocryte? If you go to church you are going to hear a lot of things that you arent going to be able to follow. Is not giving 10% because they tell you to any different from not doing any thing else the Bible commands you to. They Bible can command you to do some pretty strange stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The gleeful giver is a good thing but the tithe is part of the mosiac code or the law that was put to death on the cross, there is no way you can gain by tithing except maybe indignation or wrath for crucifying Christ again.

Because Christ fulfilled the law it could be said that 10% is a good starting point. Free from the law all we have should be considered God's and it is between us and him how much giving to church is enough. Living frugally, providing for your family and have nothing left over? Great. Living large, not using your money in an unChristian manner? Give more. Pretty simple really. Those who piss and moan about giving to church really have a much more pressing problem to deal with. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Give less than 10% then...but give something.  A church can't exist without some funding?.....or can it?  maybe by a miracle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The Mormons will send an auditor to your house to "help" you figure out how much to give.  Or so they say.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You have to give permission for that to happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Mormons will send an auditor to your house to "help" you figure out how much to give.  Or so they say.

Really?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Another reason I dont like the Mormon religion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, preachers get paid?  Interesting.  Most folks I know who do church work don't get paid.  Zip.  The money goes to the upkeep and supplies of the church, plus charities.

MHO only:

The principle of tithing, or voluntarily giving one tenth of one’s income to God’s work, has been known since Old Testament times. Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek (Genesis 14:17–20).

Our preacher has a wife, children, cars, house and even a dog. Those all cost money. He is not a king and not a pauper but he is paid. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Islam only requires 2.5%. It pays to shop for your salvation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MHO only:

Where are ya from man? The USA is full of Rolex wearing, $1000 suit sporting, and Caddie rolling preachers that get paid VERY well. Almost every church I've attended has multiple people on the payroll.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

But doesnt islam also require you to strap bombs to your body and blow yourself up on buses?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Its absolutly PATHETIC the way churches spend money. They wont get a frickin dime from me.
I firmly believe you people are fools if you give money to the church.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But doesnt islam also require you to strap bombs to your body and blow yourself up on buses?

Details details. The guy didn't ask about martyring he only asked about giving.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Old Testament:

Malachi 3

6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. 7 Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.
"But you ask, 'How are we to return?'
8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse-the whole nation of you-because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

New Testament

Matthew 23 (Words of Jesus)
22And he who swears by heaven swears by God's throne and by the one who sits on it.
23"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MHO only:

Where are ya from man? The USA is full of Rolex wearing, $1000 suit sporting, and Caddie rolling preachers that get paid VERY well. Almost every church I've attended has multiple people on the payroll.

Maybe you are going to the wrong church.  IMHO

There are churches that do not require you / force you to pay a tithing.  They ask, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Its absolutly PATHETIC the way churches spend money. They wont get a frickin dime from me.

1776 checked in.  So where AR50Troll.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Thats what my buddy in Salt Lake City told me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

That's not right.  Is that policy or just someone over extending their authority?

Got a linky?  Google?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

2.5% + Your soul to hell + watching your son splattered all over a pizzaria after detonating himself= bad deal!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2.5% + Your soul to hell + watching your son splattered all over a pizzaria after detonating himself= bad deal!

What about the virgins.  You get to get PIE right?  lol
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Islam doesn't support their fire-insurance policy very well, though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I would agree with you about many churches. We have one of the most modest facilities around. Our money goes to get the job done. No gold, no stained glass, just four walls and a collective will to serve God. Our church is independent. We spend the money not some guy on the other side of the ocean wearing a lamp shade on his head. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The 10% don't have to go to a Church.  Charity is good like the Salvation Army.

I saw on a T.V. interview that the Salvation Army IS a denomination of christianity.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would agree with you about many churches. We have one of the most modest facilities around. Our money goes to get the job done. No gold, no stained glass, just four walls and a collective will to serve God. Our church is independent. We spend the money not some guy on the other side of the ocean wearing a lamp shade on his head. Planerench out.

Careful
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And they burn witches too.
Next time spend some time researching before you post and insert your foot in your mouth.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

I heard from this guy who's best friends next door neighbor knew a guy who talked to a girl who's cousin worked with a kid who's dad said that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

I heard from this guy who's best friends next door neighbor knew a guy who talked to a girl who's cousin worked with a kid who's dad said that.

[lonestar]So what does that make me[lonestar]

[dark helmet]  NOTHING [dark helmet]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure about you guys, but in my church (episcopial) we weren't even asked to give... yea they send around the offering plate- but they don't preach that we should give... it's up to you to decide if you want to... and there have been many a morning where i let the plate pass me by, if i can give, i do...but many times i can't.... no problems there i'm sure- the big man upstairs will understand.....

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Not sure about you guys, but in my church (episcopial) we weren't even asked to give... yea they send around the offering plate- but they don't preach that we should give... it's up to you to decide if you want to... and there have been many a morning where i let the plate pass me by, if i can give, i do...but many times i can't.... no problems there i'm sure- the big man upstairs will understand.....

-Roth

100% correct.  The only one keeping score is the big guy upstairs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#41]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Quoted:
The Mormons will send an auditor to your house to "help" you figure out how much to give. Or so they say.

Really?

Check your sources.  What a buddy told a buddy who heard from someone is not correct.  I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon = nickname) all my life and served a 2 year mission for the church along with all my brothers, father, uncles, and grandparents, and my wife has served as well so I know a thing or two about the operation of the church.  Tithing is confidential between you and your bishop and the Lord.  No one ever comes over to collect or "help" you know how much to pay.  It might be noted that the LDS church has no paid clergy.  My bishop (leader of the local congregation) volunteers all his time in service in the church, during the day he is a small buisiness operator.  Tithing goes to the massive expenses of the church worldwide the church completes more than a couple meeting houses each day along with over 100 Temples worldwide.  Church offferings of time and money are used worldwide to distribute food clothing and medicine.  I gladly will give whatever is asked but I give of my own free will and choice and have never felt any sort of compulsion from the church.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Check your sources.  What a buddy told a buddy who heard from someone is not correct.  I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon = nickname) all my life and served a 2 year mission for the church along with all my brothers, father, uncles, and grandparents, and my wife has served as well so I know a thing or two about the operation of the church.  Tithing is confidential between you and your bishop and the Lord.  No one ever comes over to collect or "help" you know how much to pay.  It might be noted that the LDS church has no paid clergy.  My bishop (leader of the local congregation) volunteers all his time in service in the church, during the day he is a small buisiness operator.  Tithing goes to the massive expenses of the church worldwide the church completes more than a couple meeting houses each day along with over 100 Temples worldwide.  Church offferings of time and money are used worldwide to distribute food clothing and medicine.  I gladly will give whatever is asked but I give of my own free will and choice and have never felt any sort of compulsion from the church.

See there are some churches that are all volunteers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
God doesn't need your money. Giving is God's way of raising children, not money. No matter what the amount or percentage the lesson is that ALL of it God's. What ends up in the plate is trivial after you get the lesson. I have been in a position to give much and nothing. God is satisfied. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya know i can understand 1776 to a point,  I think most  churches spend money on the wrong things to some extent.
You should willingly give what YOU feel is right.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Mormons will send an auditor to your house to "help" you figure out how much to give. Or so they say.

Really?

And not one collection plate in sight either.
It's all voluntary.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Justy,
I was reading LDS website and it had on it something about having to make an appointment to vist the church and something about clothes rentals??? What's that all about?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ya know i can understand 1776 to a point,  I think most  churches spend money on the wrong things to some extent.
You should willingly give what YOU feel is right.  

I agree with your last point.  Folks should fine a church that they can agree to first.  No one is holding a gun to you asking for 10%.  The ones that do all I can say is RUN FOREST RUN.  But there are ones out there that will ask but that's it.  And spend the money wisely too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#48]
99% of this kind of thing is just people justifying why they aren't in church, and why they aren't helping financially.

I get a kick out of people who refuse to attend church, or refuse to give to the church, because they "don't do the job right" and "they are hypocrits", yadda yadda.  The thing about church is, it's full of sinners.  You can expect perfection from God.  But you cannot expect perfection from his people.  We may be saved, but we are far from perfect.  With that said, if you can show enough mercy and compassion on your fellow man to understand whatever the issues may be in a particular church body (yet you do not have to condone it), going to church becomes a lot easier.  You don't have to get involved in whatever maybe be negative or wrong in a church, but you sure shouldn't let it stop you from going.  That said, take them time to find the church that you can fit into.  Don't expect the church to change to fit you!  I used to think like this, but I found that when I crossed a point where I became serious about making my relationship with God about Him rather than about me, church went from a pain in the a** to a happy thing to do.  When I truly realized that I am a dirty no-good sinner in God's eyes, then the dirty no good sinning of the church goer no longer appeared to be beneath me.  One of the hidden blessings of my divorce.

As far as tithing and contributing go:  God tells us to be careful and good custodians of his blessings to us, and that includes money.  While I could use some improvement in that area yet, I suggest that God would be happy if you researched how your chosen church spends it's money before contributing.  If they are being frugal and doing great things with the money, you can feel confident in giving.  Even if you can't get the info you need to make a wise decision, or suspect there may be some sort f wrongdoing, you can give a small contribution to help offset operating costs, and contribute money on your own to other charities that are using that money wisely to help those in need.  This is how I handle it since I like to "tour" churches.  It's all God's work.  For example, I have presents for needy children in my closet, wrapped and ready to go for Christmas.  It starts small, every once in awhile when I have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and I happen to run through Wal Mart, I'll go through the toy section and find something really cool.  Come Christmas time, I'll give what I have accumulated to the mission down the street and it will all go to poor kids right here in my town of 25,000.  20 years ago, I was one of them.

Let your conscience be your guide.  If you truly have God in your heart, your conscience will steer you right.  The fruit of the Spirit and all that.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Justy,
I was reading LDS website and it had on it something about having to make an appointment to vist the church and something about clothes rentals??? What's that all about?

Clothes rentals, got a link?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#50]
The Mormons DO NOT send an auditor to your house!! I was raised a Latter Day Saint and i know for a fact this is wrong, and it is not an audit!!

At the end of each year you meet with the leaders of your local congregation and find out how much you payed and get a reciept so you know how much you gave, for tax purposes etc. If you wish to deduct it at tax time(but it should be noted if you gave of your heart why would you want it back?).

They have no way of knowing how much you make to AUDIT you!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top