Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/20/2016 9:32:37 PM EDT
I'm 40!  Sure, I had buddies growing up and in the military, but haven't kept in touch with most of them.  I have a couple on facebook and talk to them once in a while, but that's it.

Went out to dinner with my ex-wife (we're cool, still friends) today and realized that was the first social interaction I've had with anyone outside of work that lasted longer than 30 seconds in six months!  Basically, I just have my two dogs.  Of course, I have the people at work, which I guess keeps me normal.

Anyone else in this boat?  I am happy and all, but wondering if this is unhealthy?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
<Crickets Chirping>.

Just kidding OP.

You've got all of us to be your pals.

No homo.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Friends can be a blessing and friends can be a curse.
If you're happy with the way things are now, there's no reason to change it...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are happy with your life, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]

I suppose that this is a bad time to tell you that none of us really like you, huh?

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
No obligations is a nice thing
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I will admit to being socially inept.  I have a hard time keeping in touch with friends and family.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't have friends like I used to. Some acquaintances. I don't know why it's so hard now. It's super unhealthy. Dangerous to not have a support network. I do have a best friend who lives far away but keeps in touch. I'd probably go insane without him.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm 40!  Sure, I had buddies growing up and in the military, but haven't kept in touch with most of them.  I have a couple on facebook and talk to them once in a while, but that's it.

Went out to dinner with my ex-wife (we're cool, still friends) today and realized that was the first social interaction I've had with anyone outside of work that lasted longer than 30 seconds in six months!  Basically, I just have my two dogs.  Of course, I have the people at work, which I guess keeps me normal.

Anyone else in this boat?  I am happy and all, but wondering if this is unhealthy?
View Quote

OP, nothing wrong with your position. What's unhealthy is surrounding yourself with humans you don't enjoy socializing with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Long term, yes.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I think!  I am happy!

It just seems like everyone has people they hang out with but me.  No kids, family lives far away and I never see them.  Doesn't bother me, but maybe I'm missing something??  Humans are supposedly social creatures but not me
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I only have one friend, and between both of our work schedules and our families, we can only get together to cause trouble every couple of months or so.

I'm a member of the CVMA, but outside of events, I don't socialize.

Can't complain. I prefer quiet and solitude to even small groups.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it's a bit unhealthy. Luckily there is an app for that. Download Grindr, there are lots of single men wanting to become friends with you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
We voted you off OP.....sorry.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
What's "unhealthy" is being miserable.  Doesn't sound like that's an issue.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Long term, yes.

View Quote

I have read that many doctors believe that one of the secrets to long life is not being a loner, because man is a social animal.

I'm sure there are exceptions to that, though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Men can be solitary creatures, this is natural.  I am the same way. I get plenty of social interaction at work and with my family. Plenty of folks have attempted to make friends with me by inviting me places or to do things......I am just not interested.

Don't worry about it.......you are fine and not a freak of nature.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think it's a bit unhealthy. Luckily there is an app for that. Download Grindr, there are lots of single men wanting to become friends with you.
View Quote

I'm not a homo  I thought about dating again but that shit ended bad for me the first time.  Can't stand other peoples drama, I like my peace and quiet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a couple friends, what I would call true friends.

One caught the gay and apparently cut ties with all his hetero friends, so there's that.

The other friend and I would trout fish a couple times a year, but he found a new fishing buddy at work and I haven't heard from him in over a year.

It's just too hard with a wife and two kids to find time.  I barely have time to eat, shave and take a proper dump.  Let alone trying to find friends.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate people.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Come on now. OP's probably a real man. He needs GROWLr.

Don't ask how I know about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Not since the divorce.

People annoy me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm not a homo  I thought about dating again but that shit ended bad for me the first time.  Can't stand other peoples drama, I like my peace and quiet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it kinda sounds like you are really WISE.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I do not have any friends in the US

after my divorce I just decided to be on my own.

all my real friends are in Germany and I have known them since I was 14 years old and we get together at least once a year

I am okay with that and do not see anything wrong with it

I do not crave being around other people all that much.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#25]
OP,  I want to move to the woods to shoot guns, listen to Cannibal Corpse and probably paint the walls with my brains. I love ancient aliens so I guess that show is my best friend or maybe my SR15.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]
For living in a basement...I'd say "it's par.",

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#27]
At least you don't have to worry, your dogs won't double cross you or talk behind your back .  Some friends are not really friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#28]
You could try the friendship thing out. Go some place where people do the things you like to do.  If approached for conversation have one and see if you like this person. If it doesn't work out you can always chop them up with an axe and bury them in a park.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, I don't fucking know if it's unhealthy or not.  I have ONE friend.  It used to be two, but she back stabbed me, so now I'm down to one.

Personally I'm not a big fan of people.  I get along with them just fine when I can get up and leave any time I want, but when I'm stuck with them they annoy me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't be to awful different from you OP if I was single...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'll be your friend.

Can I borrow 20 bucks?

View Quote

No, but you can earn it...

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you lonely...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm in the same boat, OP. Want to be friends?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

I have a 4k sqft house on 2.5 acres with just me and 2 dogs.  I have two rooms and a full basement I haven't entered in months.  It was supposed to be for 'the family' but that didn't work out, and now I have it after the divorce.  Don't owe much so I keep it, although it's a lot of work sometimes.  I call it the "Fortress of Solitude".
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
<Crickets Chirping>.

Just kidding OP.

You've got all of us to be your pals.

No homo.

View Quote

Damn, dude!

He's not suicidal, yet, but that just might do it!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I hate people.
View Quote

You are such a warm and friendly fuzzy lil fuzball today aren't you ?

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably much better friends than most people
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Not weird.  I'm the same.  I MUCH prefer to be alone and with my dogs.  Ironically, I have the most socially interacting job possible.  I expend all mental energy daily. I am operating at a high mental level all day - no rest.  I NEED to recharge.  I get energy through solitude and internal thought/evaluation.  That means no dumb ass meaningless interaction.    INFJ personality.

OP - high intelligence too am I right?  It's a curse and a blessing.  

BTW - People confuse acquaintances with friends.  I won't bother to explain.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad to have you in the club OP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you like fast cars, drinking Scotch and shooting shit?

'Cause I like fast cars, drinking Scotch and shooting shit too!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]
No close friends here. Then again I have my wife who has been my best friend you could say, for 5 years
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound like and introvert who has spent too much time thinking. Focus on a hobby and what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#44]
OP I only have one friend that I'm close to. To me it's not about how many friends you have. It seems like people today have big egos and are way too concerned about what others think of them. Do what makes you happy and if you meet a good friend along the way, even better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey man it's all good.  You are happy thats all that matters.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I can relate.

All I can say is make sure you have good long term care coverage or a plan to suck start a shotgun if you end up sick and unable to care for yourself. That's my plan anyway.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Posting on the internet that you have no friends is a sure sign of happiness
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have a 4k sqft house on 2.5 acres with just me and 2 dogs.  I have two rooms and a full basement I haven't entered in months.  It was supposed to be for 'the family' but that didn't work out, and now I have it after the divorce.  Don't owe much so I keep it, although it's a lot of work sometimes.  I call it the "Fortress of Solitude".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

You're in the same kinda boat I am.

I bought a big ass house and moved in with the girl I thought was "Ms.Right".  She turned out to be crazy.  Now I have a big empty house, with three bedrooms and a full basement.  I turned one bedroom into a gun storage room with a couple locking cabinets.  The other one and the big basement, well I don't go there.

Frankly, even though I dodged a bullet, and was preparing to spend the rest of my life with someone who apparently never thought of me as being anything more than a paycheck, I rode and sometimes still feel like I am riding an emotional roller coaster.

Look around your local area, and find something to do.  Take up a hobby.  Something.  One of my local gunclubs does a weekly IDPA inspired shoot Wednesday nights.  It's not very big, usually around 45 rounds, three stages.  But it gets me out, I get to talk shit about hillary, bullshit about guns, etc, and I'm out of my big empty house.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I will admit to being socially inept.  I have a hard time keeping in touch with friends and family.
View Quote

My family didn't even let me know my brother was back in prison for parole violations. His friend, who I used to skate with and go to punk shows in high school called me and let me know, thanking me for telling him that the pics of him with my brother holding his gun could result in consequences for him. Fucked up way to find out he's back in prison, but at least I know.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top