Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 8:58:37 PM EDT
I am an avionics tech at Delta Airlines and we are going through our first cabin reconfiguration mod.  As many times as I have worked on them they are always a pain in the ass to work on.  Routing wires from the upper EPC through the EE is a royal pain.  Now try running those same wires through the forward cargo up into the cabin.  After working on MD-88's or DC-10's I am happy to work on any Boeing product.  When it comes to the Boeing 737, 757, 767 and 777 I am more than happy to work on them.  I also remember the IRS mods we did on the 88's a few years ago which were not fun at all.

The MD-88 is an aircraft I cannot get comfortable with especially when it comes to managing the cockpit.  Any Boeing aircraft I am more than happy to operate and it just makes sense.  Obviously this thread is geared more to the maintainers of these aircraft than to those who fly them.  What are your experiences?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
PITA to fuel,I knew that much,a 727 was a helluva lot faster,thanks to 2 fuel ports.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
PITA to fuel,I knew that much,a 727 was a helluva lot faster,thanks to 2 fuel ports.

Ever see someone enter the wing tank on an MD-88?  Upside down and backwards from the top.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Delta bought the worst of the DC aircraft.

MD-90, anyone?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

MD-90, anyone?

You hit the nail on the head with that one.  Delta is actually obtaining more MD-90's  
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not involved in aircraft maintenance in any way,  but from the perspective of someone who's flown a lot over the past few years,

the MD-88 is a fine, smooth riding aircraft.    Aside from its relatively high wing loading I can't quite be sure why, but the smoothest

trips I've ever taken were all in MD-88s.   I've been in every 7x7 except for the 777 and 787 (of course) and the MD-88 seems to

be the smoothest of any of them.

Two weeks ago I took a tour of the Boeing factory near Seattle and saw 747s, 777s, and 787s in production.  That is truly an awesome

facility and is not to be missed if  you have any technical interest whatsoever in aircraft.  

CJ

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Two weeks ago I took a tour of the Boeing factory near Seattle...

You didn't stop by the WA HTF.

1GR could have made you famous.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not involved in aircraft maintenance in any way,  but from the perspective of someone who's flown a lot over the past few years,
the MD-88 is a fine, smooth riding aircraft.    Aside from its relatively high wing loading I can't quite be sure why, but the smoothest
trips I've ever taken were all in MD-88s.   I've been in every 7x7 except for the 777 and 787 (of course) and the MD-88 seems to
be the smoothest of any of them.

Two weeks ago I took a tour of the Boeing factory near Seattle and saw 747s, 777s, and 787s in production.  That is truly an awesome
facility and is not to be missed if  you have any technical interest whatsoever in aircraft.  

CJ

The MD-88 is a reliable aircraft and makes the company money.  Except for cracks being found in the Horizontal Stab which are being addressed right now.  I don't mind flying in them since it is the type that is used from ATL to ORD and back which is where our family takes its vacations.  
I would love to take a walk through the manufacture process of a Boeing aircraft in Seattle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would love to take a walk through the manufacture process of a Boeing aircraft in Seattle.

Here toy go!

When you fo, post in the WA HTF.  There are several weekly get-togethers and there are a plethora of ARFCOMers in the region.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
They may be a PITA to work on, but the fact that so many of them are flying long after Boeing airframes have long since tired out (I won't even mention airbus airframes) says something for the way they were designed.

I do understand that the MD-90s are a lot more flimsy than the -88s but that is par for course I guess.  A lot of the guys at the CO MCO maintenance base tell me that the next gen 737s are far less durable than the -300s and -500s.

For what it is worth, I have always preferred McDouglas aircraft.  The MD-80 series is an infinitely more comfortable ride than any Boeing narrow body ever thought of being.

Oh well, at least you have a job right (that's what people always tell me when I complain about work).
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am an avionics tech

Found the problem.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MD-90, anyone?

You hit the nail on the head with that one.  Delta is actually obtaining more MD-90's  

Probably buying them for damn near nothing because no one else has parts, maint. authorities or knowledge to run them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
who wrote the mod?

I bet it was boeing
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
who wrote the mod?

I bet it was boeing

TIMCO out of Greensboro,NC  
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Try working on Airbus sometime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]
MD built their airplanes stronger than titanium shithouses.  I have seen DC-8s with corrosion holes in the fuselage, stuff that would make standard airplanes into hangar queens.  I am not into the spark chasing aspect, but from a structural point of view, they are great.  Flying the DC9 is a joy, a lightly loaded MD80 a pleasure.

Don't get me started on Airbus...
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Please, get started on Airbus.  I'd like to hear how they compare to MD and Boeing products from a maintenance perspective.  

CJ

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am an avionics tech

Found the problem.  

Well, there is something wrong with me  
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Please, get started on Airbus.  I'd like to hear how they compare to MD and Boeing products from a maintenance perspective.  

CJ
From a fueling perspective,it's a helluva bad deal when the hose interlocks are inop on the fuel tender/hydro-cart,and it leaves with the fuel hoses still attached.(Airbus's fuel panel is at ground level.)

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't like working on the 10's either and I only worked a little bit on the 8's.
I've worked all the latest, real (Boeing), 7x7's, from the very first 727 upto the 777.
There is something fucked up about all of them, they are airplanes afterall

Scarebus, die by wire a/c are their own special version of PITA.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a fuel tank rat/Line Mtc at Delta, I hated working on them too. Anything in the tail section sucked working on too. And yes, fuel tank work was an awful experience. But I miss those days... Last day was Nov 15 2004
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
who wrote the mod?

I bet it was boeing

oh dear god, i'm never flying a delta 88 again!    

j/k

ps.  hows the northwest integration treating you guys at tech ops?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

CJ

Scarebus has a computer that gives you a fault code and tells you what to change to fix it.

Dumbing down of aviation maintenance.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

Scarebus has a computer that gives you a fault code and tells you what to change to fix it.

Dumbing down of aviation maintenance.

All in all MD took that approach with the MD-11 and MD-90.  Boeing finally went that route with the 777.  Really the onboad diagnostic systems are a joy for the spark chasers, when they work.  When they don't that's when you have to know your SSM and WDM's.

ETA:  My biggest complaint about Scarebus is the same about the MD-11.  Everything is run automated, and if you don't know the system, you will hurt or kill someone.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
who wrote the mod?

I bet it was boeing

j/k

So far, the only integration that I have seen from Northwest is the use of their log book format and there is one hangar bay dedicated to the A319.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
who wrote the mod?

I bet it was boeing

And NOW we found the real problem!!!!  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#26]
The NW logbook format sucks!  On a Delta bird, we finish maint, sign the book, and go!  On a NW bird, we finish maint, sign the book, go back to the shack enter sheets, print off an new LIDS sheet, then go back to the plane so it can go. The whole LIDS process easily adds an extra 30 to 45 mins to our work.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
who wrote the mod?

I bet it was boeing

j/k

So far, the only integration that I have seen from Northwest is the use of their log book format and there is one hangar bay dedicated to the A319.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I work Line Maint on 737NG,757,767 & 777 as a Avionics tech, I feel your pain. Graveyard shift will do some mods but the big ones are done during heavy check
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Might be a PITA to maintain but the flight crews like them, especially the -90's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked on the DC-9 and later derivates in Long Beach , before it was purchased by Boeing and then shut down. I was an avionics tech and then later, a flight ramp inspector. I really enjoyed working on them and could  diagnose and fix most problems quickly, but we  were pushing out a hundred a year.

One poster said the 90 was flimsy , but from what I saw in the barrel join section, the 90 barrel was just the same as a super 80 only shorter.

Put in 17 years at Long Beach, now doing the UAV FSR thing.

Ken
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#30]
-90 isn't flimsy, just lousy avionics, and bad positiong of the EEC on the MD config v2500 eng.

ETA:  of course there's that whole goofy pylon flap setup too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top