Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 8:19:47 AM EDT
After the news of the winchester plant closing, I decided now would be a good time to pick up a model 94, something that I have wanted since I had become interested in guns.

I went to the local wally-world, and made my way to the firearms counter, fully prepared to purchase a model 94 ranger 30WCF. I knew how much it would cost me, and was essentially dead-set on the purchase.  I had the gravel-voiced hag behind the counter grab me one from the back, and she dissappeared.

Then I saw something that would change the outcome of this event...a marlin model 336.

The marlin was about 10 dollars cheaper, came with a sling, and was in a different league than the 94 as far as overall quality, strength of the action, smoothness of the action, the finish and the wood. The 94 looked 'nice', but I could not justify the purchase based on buy a name, even if it was one that would no longer be with us for the time being.

I looked down disappointed at the little 94, a rifle that had been outclassed. I couldn't make the purchase. I made the woman take it back apologetically, and realized that when I am ready, the marlins will probably still be waiting for me. Winchester may not, but I saw very keenly why.

I am bummed at the final outcome, but in the end, the 94 I would have bought wasn't the same kind of gun that existed in my imagination- a romantic gun of a bygone era, the hunter's most faithful companion.

Hopefully, in the future, a company who understands the vision that the model 94 brings to the american shooter will revive the name and Winchester will make a triumphant return. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks to have a well-made weapon. The cost-cutting eliminates the mystique of the gun, transmuting it from an object of legend to a cheapened mockery, an insulting jab at the american perception of quality and mass production.

I have custom-built 2 AR-15s, and done refinishing work on several other rifles. I take great pride in the handmade craftsmanship that goes into a fine weapon. I understand that factory rifles are not going to get that kind of attention, but at least allow me to believe that pride has gone into the construction.

Rant/Anecdote off  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
jmindler,

I'm a little concerned about there being no warranty whatsoever on the new Winchester rifles.

Buying used, you at least have some reassurance that a couple hundred rounds went through, came out straight, and the reciever did'nt crack, right?

While I don't own a Winchester, I have been thinking of a lever action for awhile before I heard this recent news. What I'd like to know is... how do Henry rifles compare to Winchester, Marlin, etc...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Marlins are a superior rifle, but I wish they would expand their offerings.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Marlins are a superior rifle, but I wish they would expand their offerings.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree on the comparison of Winchester and Marlin lever actions. I think Walmart sells the 336W. I'm interested in the 336C. The C is walnut, the W is "walnut finished ... hardwood".

GL

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
jmindler,

I'm a little concerned about there being no warranty whatsoever on the new Winchester rifles.

Buying used, you at least have some reassurance that a couple hundred rounds went through, came out straight, and the reciever did'nt crack, right?

While I don't own a Winchester, I have been thinking of a lever action for awhile before I heard this recent news. What I'd like to know is... how do Henry rifles compare to Winchester, Marlin, etc...

I highly doubt it would break. '94s are reliable little rifles.
Find a nice used one for 2-300 bucks.

The Marlin 336 is a superior rifle IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The new Winchester 94 I bought last year at Big 5 was $300.  My trapper is in 44 Mag and it is a nice little carbine.  I like the Winchesters because they feel so much slimmer and handier.  That is what I was looking for.  The accuracy and trigger pull are surprisingly good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top