Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 10:08:36 PM EDT
oh yeah, the house is now haunted.

Shit you not. Well, just the pool room. Part of the third floor.
Gather round the fire, boys, girls, it's story time

So, we're driving back to State College. Actually, I'm driving, and delighting in the fact that I'm doing 80, my mom hasn't noticed, and I've passed 2 (count 'em. TWO) Staties without getting so much as a second look (minivan's NEVER do 80, after all).

And my little sister, Erin, speaks the following: "Oh yeah, the pool room is haunted (Note: It's called the Pool Room, because there is a pool table there. It was put in a long ass time ago, and nobody ever moved with it because it's an antique and is too big to fit out the door and down the stairs). Couple nights we've heard footsteps and pool balls being hit."

I dismiss this, because Erin may be very book smart (maybe more so than me), but she's also a raving lunatic. She screams if you turn the light out on her, and if you say "snake" she has a panic attack (which is hysterical. At least for me. It's supposedly psychologically damaging for her, but that's okay). I figure she's just being nuts, and my mom maybe too.

So, I watch Adult Swim last night. I quit after Sealab 2021 (Mission Hill doesn't tickle teh funny in me). March up the stairs, make my bed (the sheets were gone. Not the top cover. It was a trap!), and lie down. I lie there for a good while.

Then I hear what sounds like a guy clearing his throat from far away. I dismiss this, it's an old house.
I hear it again. Eh, the pipes are older than my dad.

Then, I hear muffled voices in the pool room, right the hell above me. Okay, that's odd. Then I hear the pool balls knocking together. Okay, that's not right at all.

I go and inform my mother, and little sister (in the room across the entry way), that I'm hearing stuff. Then, I hear the pool balls AGAIN. I inform my mother that she is now grabbing her glasses and getting up. I retrieve my .45 (as Erin pointed out today, what good would it be? Either way, it's comforting being behind good German steel and 10 Golden Sabres. Plus, it COULD be people up there who snuck in without making any noise at all or setting off the alarm, and a kill is, as they say, a kill).

We go up there, me clearing the hall and using cover up the stairs and into the room (good practice for IDPA matches), and find....

Nothing. Not a goddamn thing. Door was open though.

I didn't fall asleep until 0500.

Maybe I should move to my grandparents house for the summer. Their house is 200 years old, and haunted, but at least the ghosts don't make any noise there. I can deal with corner of the eye images and my hair standing on end, after all it does that when I'm forced to sit at the front of a classroom. But people talking above me and playing pool when they aren't fucking there, no, that's not right.

I don't hear anything right now. I do have my .45 though. Who knows. Nobody's ever shot a 230 grain .45 ACP at a ghost before, least that I've heard. If I hit one, I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your prescription refilled next time before you come home. [:P]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Woo hoo! As a designated amateur parapsychologist, it appears that the house you are in has a "residual haunting". What happens in these types of events is that an energy imprint of the actions which took place in the room become "recorded" into the environment.  If you do see any apparations, you most likely will not be able to interact with them as this type of haunting results in a certain incident replaying over and over much like a video tape.

I am here to help people and I am not a troll.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yes, I would just like to add, if at all possible, set up a tape recorder and a video camera in that room during the night. Sometimes EVP -electronic voice phenomena, sounds, voices or images which cannot be heard real time, will show up on the recording media. Try this in the daytime also.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Woo hoo! As a designated amateur parapsychologist, it appears that the house you are in has a "residual haunting". What happens in these types of events is that an energy imprint of the actions which took place in the room become "recorded" into the environment.  If you do see any apparations, you most likely will not be able to interact with them as this type of haunting results in a certain incident replaying over and over much like a video tape.
View Quote

Ah, I've read of this in books.

Strange thing is, it only started doing it within the last month or so. Wasn't doing it when I was home for Spring break

My family says that it mostly starts around 3 AM. Would that be consistant with this videotape type stuff?

I've only read the "basics" of this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh yes, I would just like to add, if at all possible, set up a tape recorder and a video camera in that room during the night. Sometimes EVP -electronic voice phenomena, sounds, voices or images which cannot be heard real time, will show up on the recording media. Try this in the daytime also.
View Quote

Okay, we'll give it a shot. Most of the day we aren't up there anyway, and the video camera isn't used much anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Is there a mirror in the room? I hear ghosts like mirrors.

Put a mirror in the room at night. Maybe they'll become more active.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
No no no; not [i]mirrors -- Beers[/i].  Ice some Samuel Adams in a bucket and leave it near the pool table, in-line with the viewing angle of the camcorder.

More seriously, I think hauntings are neat -- used to read books about the stuff.  Nevertheless I don't think I would want live in a house with ghosts.

Funny story: I was freaked out late one evening when someone was saying my name right behind me while I surfed the Web.  (Not Ellery, that's just a pen name.)  Two, three, four times I heard correct pronuncation of my single syllable name RIGHT behind me.  Jumped up turned around, nothing.  Sat back down, there it was again.  Freaked me out.  Until I figured out it was just stomach/intestine sounds from dinner and I should probably loosen my belt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Until I figured out it was just stomach/intestine sounds from dinner and I should probably loosen my belt.
View Quote
So when someone's passing gas... you think they're talking to you?

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
[lolabove]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
go sleep in the pool room, and try talking to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
This is no BS - I came home from working mids last week and all of the kitchen cabinet doors were open.

If it opens my safe I'm gunna be pissed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top