Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 6:48:09 PM EDT

I am still trying to recover the mess on a 20G Maxtor drive that has shit on me. I have a brand new drive, but I want to try and get as much of the data on the old one before I take it out.

I have tried Easy Recovery Pro to get the data, it gets up to 90,000 out of 1,240,000 and then crawls to a stop with 99 hours left to run.

I downloaded this Maxtor drive diagnotic program, and have it extracted and burned onto a CD.

Now I am trying to run it, and I am getting a Windows warning box-

Windows cant open MxBlst4W.iso

To open this file Windows needs to know what program created it.

Anyone know how I get this program to run???

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
CavVet,

A .iso file is a CD image file that can be used to create a CD.  You can use something like Nero burning software or anything else that recognizes the industry standard CD file format and burn it directly to a CD.  You don't really run it.  Think of it as a CD image snapshot that can be burned back onto a CD.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]

seriously,  just pay a tech shop to try to recover it for you, they will do a better job and are more likely to be able to get data off.  
any program that actually works, you will have to buy.  it will cost about the same and save you a lot of headache to take it in.

eta:  if you do take it in, STOP messing with it.  if you don't know what you are doing you'll only make it harder to recover anything.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CavVet,

A .iso file is a CD image file that can be used to create a CD.  You can use something like Nero burning software or anything else that recognizes the industry standard CD file format and burn it directly to a CD.  You don't really run it.  Think of it as a CD image snapshot that can be burned back onto a CD.

Ok, since I dont understand that, lets try this. How do I run this program to check out my drive???

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
SEE MY ABOVE POST!!!

what you have is a file to create a bootable CD that runs maxblast4.  DO NOT RUN MAXBLAST ON THE HARD DRIVE.  maxblast is a drive instalation utility that WILL completely erase the hard drive, ie. low level format and repartition the drive. it will NOT recover data.

if you really need the data from this drive have a pro do it.  The most frightning words a tech ever hears are " i've been working on this for a week now, can you recover it for me?"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SEE MY ABOVE POST!!!

I was talkin (typin) when I shoulda been listenin (readin)......

Thanks!

what you have is a file to create a bootable CD that runs maxblast4.  DO NOT RUN MAXBLAST ON THE HARD DRIVE.  maxblast is a drive instalation utility that WILL completely erase the hard drive, ie. low level format and repartition the drive. it will NOT recover data.

if you really need the data from this drive have a pro do it.  The most frightning words a tech ever hears are " i've been working on this for a week now, can you recover it for me?"

Nothing on there is important enough to take to a tech. The family and vacation pics are all backed up on CD's. I htought this was a drive utility that will check for bad sectors and stuff, or erase it if needed. A complete diagnostic tool. I misunderstood what it really was.

And it was a storage only drive, the Program files are all on the other newer main drive.

thanks

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SEE MY ABOVE POST!!!

I was talkin (typin) when I shoulda been listenin (readin)......

Thanks!

Nothing on there is important enough to take to a tech. The family and vacation pics are all backed up on CD's. I htought this was a drive utility that will check for bad sectors and stuff, or erase it if needed. A complete diagnostic tool. I misunderstood what it really was.

And it was a storage only drive, the Program files are all on the other newer main drive.

thanks

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
glad you atleast have backups.  most people don't even do that.  drive recoveries can be tricky and damn near impossible without a sector reader, depending on exactly what went bad.  most programs don't do anything more than read deleted files and won't work at all if the FAT table or partition table is bad.

quick question:  did you try just running windows checkdisk on the drive?  

"start" -> "run" -> type "cmd" -> type "chkdsk X: /f" -> press "enter"
X is the drive letter that windows shows for the drive in MY COMPUTER.

if the drive is just covered in bad sectors sometimes this will fix it enough to let you move the files to a new drive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
quick question:  did you try just running windows checkdisk on the drive?  

"start" -> "run" -> type "cmd" -> type "chkdsk X: /f" -> press "enter"
X is the drive letter that windows shows for the drive in MY COMPUTER.

WIndows Warning Window-

Check Disk Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Send Error report- Dont send

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
If ya only had some sort of tech guy that you knew that could help you out for a beer.

save the .iso file to your hard drive.

go to download.com and download "Daemon Tools" and install it.  using daemon tools, point it to the .iso file, it will load the file as a virtual CD Rom drive.  You can then pull or execute any file off the "CD" that you need.

as stated above, the .iso is just an "image" of a cd...  You can also use Nero burning rom to "Burn an image"  it will ask for the .iso file, then burn it as an actual cd instead of the image stored on a cd.

all else fails,
you have my #
you have my Yahoo ID
you have my MSN ID
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top