Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 5:41:12 AM EDT
Since i'm a certified firearms instructor other deputies tend to ask for help  or tips with shooting. Mostly only during qualification time which is sad but a reality in our line of work.  Anyway there is one female deputy who has been shooting with me a few times a month and after 2 or 3 trips i've figured out her sights are off just a tad. She started out with a scattered pattern and we've got it down to a tight group just off to the left. One day i asked her to aim a little to the right and boom right in the center. So i shot it and samething happened. It's about 3 inches to the left at 7 yards. I told her to take the target and her gun to the armorer and let him adjust it for her.
 Next week i see her and she says they told her they will adjust it  when she goes to qualify and she probably won't have to shoot anyone at more than 7 yards before then anyway. They said since she works the bravo shift ( days) she'll be ok. WTF !?

Does anyone else see this sort of attitude in their department? I don't understand how something as important as your duty gun not being accurate not being worth adjusting?

J
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I guess I would just have to adjust my own damn sights then.  Fortunately, I have never had any problems with issue weapons.

Maybe she should have turned in her weapon with a memorandum requesting the adjustment.  Folks do funny shit when a memorandum is floating around.  If denied, simply request an endorsment of such on the original memorandum.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I second the memo idea. This definitely needs to be in writing. If she shoots someone this will come back on her and not admin if it's not in writing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Laziness abounds.   Luckily, most of our dept. armorers are quick to help.

Put it in writing.

It's all about CYA.

NorCal

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]
It would probable take only a few minutes to adjust the sights.  What's the reasoning on not adjusting them.  Do they want to adjust them while she's on the range so they can zero them in?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a lazy bastard to me. Pull a pin or something that will bring the gun down and hand it in saying it won't work, and while they're at it, adjust the sights.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm told that the date of issue of each set of armor is recorded in our Admin. office somewhere so that Admin personnel are not surprised when someone's vest expires.  At least that's how it is supposed to work.

About two years ago, one of our traffic officers took note of the fact that his vest's expiration date was approaching in about 6 months, and made Admin aware of this so that action could be taken to get him new armor.  Sounds reasonable, right?

Well, feet are dragged and the date comes and goes.  No new vest is issued despite him making several trips to the office to "remind" them.  He is a former marine and may have heard the word "subtle" before but obviously lef tclass before the meaning of the word was explained.

He finally composed a letter to the chief ( who has since, thankfully, moved on) and forwarded a copy to Admin.  In it, he advised them, again, of the vest situation and also mentioned that his wife and daughter had also been advised; that photos had been made of the label in the vest, which shows the expiration date, and that his family had been instructed to sue the hell out of the department, city, chief, city manager and anyone involved in equipment procurement should he die from a gunshot wound which penetrated his armor.

The BEST part was that his attorney had the letter delivered to the department by a representative of OSHA!

The speed at which his new vest was issued could have been clocked on a radar unit!  It's sad that the had to take those steps.

Our new chief has fixed ALL of that and made it clear he will not tolerate BS or lazy people.  He has fired people for both!  My kind of chief!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top