Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2001 10:41:02 PM EDT
I was at Sportco in Fife today buying ammo, and when the guy at the counter went to ring up the .22 long RIFLE ammo he told me that I could not buy it because it could be used in a pistol (I am only 19 and therefore can't buy handgun ammo). I told him that almost all rifle ammo would fit in some sort of handgun, but he still would not sell it to me. I went to the main desk to see if someone there would sell me the ammo, but no one would. What the hell is with these people (or their company)?

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be 21 soon, encourage your friends/ acquaintances to not buy one damned thing from the as$holes.  See my post "OUTRAGE" to hear about other moronic stores and their contempt for gun owners.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sign of the times in which we live.Damn shame things have got this bad.Some states are even worse. Support GOA and NRA.Try another store and don't waste your money there.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
did you try a difrent store? Ive been buying 22s since I was 13 at a local gas station. is there some new law that I don't know about? I send my 17 year old neighbor to get ammo all the time. I tell him if he wants to shoot my guns he has to go get his own ammo.Is there a law agent this? if there is nick could be in a world of shit he went and got 2 boxes of 45 acp just last week.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
what a bummer, having to ask momi and dada
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The law says that you have to be 18 to buy rifle and shotgun ammo, and 21 for pistol ammo. In Washington State there are no laws on possesion, so I don't worry about being caught with "handgun ammo." That said one of the local shops will sell me .45 ACP ammo on the condition that it is for the M1A1 Thompson knockoff they know I don't have, and not for the 1991A1 Commander that they sold to my father who happened to mentioned that it was for me [;)]. I did not go to another store today, but I know where I can get it when I want it.

I don't blame Sportco. The manager, who I talked to at the service counter, said that the ATF has been busting people's balls on this recently. If that is true, and I were in their shoes I wouldn't sell to anyone underage who I did not know either. They are not against me buying or using the products in question, they just aren't willing to stick out their neck so that I can buy ammo that I legally should not be able to (or in this case may not be able to depending on what I plan to shoot it from). I am surprised at the extent of their policy, but because they were sympathetic and even apologetic about the situation (they even offerd to give me directions to the nearest gun shop so I could see if they would sell .22's to me) I don't see why I should boycott them. If they treated me like Bass Proshop treated dissipator556 I would be on the war path.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Many lives were saved, no doubt, by that clerk being on the lookout for terrorist, assault weapon-toting, gun nuts like you.  I read somewhere that the .22 has killed more people than any other caliber.  You were probably on your way to the nearest elementary school to empty your 30 round clip into a crowded lunchroom out of your single shot assault revolver.

Edited cause I can't spell.  Extreme sarcasm BTW.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Reminds me of a time long long ago, I tried to buy BB's for my BB gun at a department store. Think you had to be 16 to buy them for a bb gun and I was not that old yet. At the checkout counter the clerk asked if they were for a BB gun, when I said yes he wouldn't sell them to me. My dad was right behind me, let him buy his stuff and then put the BB's back on the counter. When the clerk asked if they were for a BB gun I said 'nope, i use them in my slingshot at school to shoot the teacher'.  The clerk sold me the BB's.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to buy .357s for my lever action(wink-wink) and .45s for my camp carbine(nudge-nudge). Are you telling us that at 19 you don't have a friend that can buy you beer? Why wouldn't he buy you ammo?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to buy .357s for my lever action(wink-wink) and .45s for my camp carbine(nudge-nudge). Are you telling us that at 19 you don't have a friend that can buy you beer? Why wouldn't he buy you ammo?
View Quote

That is pretty much the arrangement I have with one of the local shops, but I did not think that I would ever be kept from buyng .22's. I take the fifth on the last part of your comment [:D]

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#10]
You wanted strict enforcement of existing laws, you got it. It is only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
You wanted strict enforcement of existing laws, you got it. It is only going to get worse.
View Quote

Actually I wanted the repeal of existing laws. I am still unsatisfied!

After reading Dissapator556's post I have changed my mind about how I feel about Sportco. They maybe trying to cover their asses, but they are shorting young gun owners at the same time. What the hell are they going to do if they start carrying T/C Contenders, deny ammo sales to anyone under 21? Screw them, I am going down there today to turn in my membership, and I will be sure to let them know why.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!!  I RECENTLY BOUGHT A MOSSBERG 500 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN AND AMMO FROM A HUGE SPORTS/OUTDOOR STORE IN MY AREA CALLED GALYANS.  I WENT BACK A WEEK LATER TO PICK UP SOME .22 CAL AND THE F@$#ER TOLD ME HE WOULDN'T SELL IT TO ME BECAUSE IT WAS HANDGUN AMMO AND I WAS NOT 21.  I TOLD HIM IT WAS BS THAT I COULD BUY A 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN (WITH PISTOL GRIP) ALONG WITH 3" 00 BUCK AMMO, AND NOT .22 AMMO.  I MEAN IS THIS THE DUMBEST     F&%^&ING THING YOU HAVE EVER HEARD?    
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]
My ammo is always for rifles.  I mean who would want to shoot pistols anyway? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys we gotta look at the vendor side of this equation too.

It is most likely not the store policy not to sell ammo to people under 21.  It is either federal or state law that limits them.  So by boycotting the store you are really not accomplishing anything, because odds are the next store will tell you the same thing.  It is total BS, but this is what happens when democraps take charge of things.

Just remember, it may not be their fault, and they want to keep their butts out of prison too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't you love it when a Communist is working behind the counter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess they must be interpreting the law differently. When I was 18 they would ask me if this was for a rifle. Of course I would say yes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I find this irritating as hell.  If 22 ammo rings up as requiring an age check or something I always groan.  Sometimes they ask if this is handgun ammo.  I say no, it's for a rifle.  Like it's an issue.  I'm 52 years old.  Do you really think I might only be 17?  Yeah right.  I only look 50, I'm really 15.  Sometimes I have made a smart aleck comment.  "Are you over 21."  "No, but the combat boots I wore in the Army are pushing 30."  When I was 12 I bought ammo no questions asked.  Now I need to be IDed?  That's progress for you.  I'm reconsidering my post about do you hate WalMart.  I just bought some 22 ammo there and went through this comic senario.  Yes, I do hate them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was 12, I used to ride my bike 5 miles to K-mart to buy .22lr and BBs.  I kept my Marlin rifle unloaded next to my bed.  This nation is going to hell in a handbasket.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#19]
You can join the Army at 17, and learn to shoot M-16s, but can't purchase ammo until 21[thinking]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps you might want to do this... (but call ahead of time to make sure that it's OK).

Bring your rifle down to the store.  Play dumb, but keep it in the case, nice and safe, etc, etc.  "Hello Sir, I need ammo for this rifle, please?".  Let them determine the ammo type, and everything else.  You have then just demonstrated ability to fire the ammo in a rifle, demonstrated a desire to find the proper type, and oh yes, you've relieved them of their obligations.  But of course, they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

A local range does the same thing, but I've seen how it's handled.  If you rent their 9mm rifle, they have no choice but to provide you with ammo for the 9mm rifle.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like the Evil PRNJ to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I have that BS with sports authority. In NY you need a pistol license to own a handgun. They incorporate CCW with ownership. So what you guys do to carry we do to own. Some counties give you full carry mine gives you carry with a restriction. All BS. When I went to sports authority to buy handgun ammo they wanted to check my license. I did it once or twice then I got pissed. So I tell them it is for a rifle. Just to see if I would get it. I did. I am over 21. But the whole situation stinks. It is just a matter of time till we have no more 2nd amendment. Sorry to say. I love guns and freedom most of all but I think it is a matter of time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Wiggins come on down to Chehalis, and I will sell you all the .22 ammo you can stand.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was under 21 I used to bring my Ruger 44 carbine with me to Carter's Country.  It was the only way I could get them to sell me .44 magnum ammo.  Unfortunately this is difficult to do if you are just going to Walmart or something for a box of 22's.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
around here they ask if its for a pistol, if you say yes, they have to check if your 21, if ya say no,they check if your 18. im neither... [:(] .

why the hell do they ask if a .22 rd is for a handgun, but not if 9mm, 10mm, 357, 44mag, 45LC, 45ACP, 40 SW and the list goes on if their gonna be used in a rilfe. this is all horse shyt
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wiggins come on down to Chehalis, and I will sell you all the .22 ammo you can stand.
View Quote

Where in Chehalis is your shop? I'll have to stop by next time I am in your neck of the woods.

Kyle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top