Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/13/2007 11:27:48 PM EDT
and all I have to do tonight is watch 2 level gauges.
Oh, and surf the Arfcom..........
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]

remember that episode when homer got to work at home because he was disabled because he was fat? All he had to do was push one button. It vented off radioactive gas IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, where can I get a job like that?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thewaitandwonder.clubmom.com/photos/misc/homer.jpg

Your laughing now, wait a couple hours, :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Probably a good start would to not to have a nickname like killswitch?

Other than that being at the right place at the right time doesn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Somewhere a Chinaman, Indian or Mexican is training to do it for half that.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I ain't buyin it. I'll bet you've earned it, have the experience and education and if the SHTF you're the man that has to deal with it.

If not, I'll pay you to fill me in on the secret. Whats your price?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I work for, uhm, a Government agency. Actually, I work in Water and Wastewater, not literally of course. We're having some water table issues in my neck of the woods, so me and one other are working the graveyard TFN.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
10 years in Law Enforcement and i am not even close to $40,000 a year
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I ain't buyin it. I'll bet you've earned it, have the experience and education and if the SHTF you're the man that has to deal with it.

If not, I'll pay you to fill me in on the secret. Whats your price?

Truth be told, I've taken every class and course avaiable in my field and as a requirement to hold my certifications, I need to continuoisly take more classes. I'm State Certified in both fields and I've been doing this for 13 years, minus my Noble Eagle time.
And yes, being in the right place at the right time had a lot to do with getting the job too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably a good start would to not to have a nickname like killswitch?

Other than that being at the right place at the right time doesn't hurt either.

It's "Killswitch" not "Flip-Switch" or "Press-Big-Red-Button"

Edit: Besides, this is the only place where I could EVER have a cool handle like "Killswitch"
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
  Low water table issue is a situation in quite a few
systems right now.  

They should have public service announcements
that say "Wanna water your lawns, or have tapwater?"
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/george_jetson.jpg

Sweet! Kickin' it Old Skoolz!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Clear well - 6.8 '
Intermediate Clear Well - 6.0'

All secure,

going

back

to

sleep

nowwwww..............
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#15]
i work in a geothermal powerplant and its scary how accurate the simpsons are. surf the net and watch TV unless something breaks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i work in a geothermal powerplant and its scary how accurate the simpsons are. surf the net and watch TV unless something breaks.

Like airline pilots.  You don't pay them 100k plus for sitting on their butts and programming the computers, you pay them for their years of experience when the shit hits the fan and there are 200-400 passengers' asses on the line.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like airline pilots.  You don't pay them 100k plus for sitting on their butts and programming the computers, you pay them for their years of experience when the shit hits the fan and there are 200-400 passengers' asses on the line.

Where do the passengers go on a geothermal power plant?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Try making twice that and doing less.

I fix things, under contract, for a very rich company.  When I'm sitting on my ass surfing ARFCOM then their business is running great.  When things go to shit I get called to get things back on track as fast as possible.  They would much rather see me not doing anything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#19]
They pay me to go around and talk about booze.

They buy my gas.
They pay for my cell phone.
They even pay for lunch for me and my friends.
I never pay for booze.

My name is jj, and I sell wine.

jj
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That is not right!  You should be paid more to deal with the dregs of society.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Chernobyl...
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]
My job is pretty laid back, to the left of me is the only entrance to the suite, on the other side of me is the computer servers. My job is not to let anyone through the door,I make 36k. At night there are no employees,so All I do is surf the web.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
and all I have to do tonight is watch 2 level gauges.
Oh, and surf the Arfcom..........

Does it require a College Degree to do this kind of work?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:23:30 AM EDT
[#24]

remember that episode when homer got to work at home because he was disabled because he was fat? All he had to do was push one button. It vented off radioactive gas IIRC.

"Press 1 to shut down reactor.  If you hand is too fat to press 1, mash keyboard now."
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wow sorry to hear that..  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Hahahahahahahaha

I sit here and surf the net and get paid more than that.

Bored to death til the phone rings, Then I have to work for 10 minutes.

ETA: 2 is mine Biatch
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Try making twice that and doing less.

I fix things, under contract, for a very rich company.  When I'm sitting on my ass surfing ARFCOM then their business is running great.  When things go to shit I get called to get things back on track as fast as possible.  They would much rather see me not doing anything.

Kinda my job.  Unless something breaks, I just set here.  Waiting......zzzzzzz........

All for $65K yr w/ a diploma from the World School of Experience.  You see me running, tho, something just shit the bed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not right!  You should be paid more to deal with the dregs of society.  

some jobs pay well, others have perks......

mine pays real well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Our LEO's start off at 38k a year right out the academy!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#32]

This week I've sat on my ass and watched an entire season of 24, and surfed arfcom 14 hours a day.  That is taking time out for bathroom breaks and food.

My gross will be in the neighborhood of $1474
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow sorry to hear that..  

The national average is $45K for police.  Here in NTx I make more than 30% more than that.  I think you might need to look for a new dept.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:38:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I get paid a lot more than that and I haven't had any work of real substance to do for over a year. I get paid a crapload to surf the net and twiddle my thumbs. I was supposed to have a project several months ago and it was delayed before it was started. Last week it was delayed again. I'm sure I'll start eventually. Good thing I didn't bother wasting a lot of time in college. Of course, maybe I'd make two craploads of money if I had a degree.

btw, I found the end of the internet. Now I'm looking for the beginning.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get paid a lot more than that and I haven't had any work of real substance to do for over a year. I get paid a crapload to surf the net and twiddle my thumbs. I was supposed to have a project several months ago and it was delayed before it was started. Last week it was delayed again. I'm sure I'll start eventually. Good thing I didn't bother wasting a lot of time in college. Of course, maybe I'd make two craploads of money if I had a degree.

btw, I found the end of the internet. Now I'm looking for the beginning.

It's in Al Gore's rectum
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:44:37 AM EDT
[#36]
i wish i made 40k  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

In the same boat here.

ETA:  I could go work for the hospital police and get a 8K to 10K raise.  Debating working for a college pd that's 3 mins from the house too.  Just don't like giving up 5 years of seniority and every Friday/Saturday off.  Then again, working 12hr shifts again would be nice, and a 3 mile commute beats a 33 mile commute too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I think its time to move

Troopers/Police in bigger cities start out at $15.50/academy and graduate to $16-17/hr once you get out.
I think on the KS Trooper website 15.50/hr gives like $35k/year.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Before I retired, I made 60k for approving building permits for the city...work load avg was 3 hrs a day.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the same boat here.

Seriously, come to AZ...every dept here in the Valley is looking and have continuous posting for trainee recruits and lateral transfers.
They also are looking for supervisors.
IIRC, the least starting pay is $40k, and one dept inthe east valley is starting new P/O's at about $55k !!
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#41]
FMJshooter would like to know what some of your job titles are. I may have to look into a new field in a year or so.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the same boat here.

Seriously, come to AZ...every dept here in the Valley is looking and have continuous posting for trainee recruits and lateral transfers.
They also are looking for supervisors.
IIRC, the least starting pay is $40k, and one dept inthe east valley is starting new P/O's at about $55k !!

I would love to move to AZ.  Did my AIT in Ft Huachuca and I loved the area.  I'll take 110 degrees with 0% humidity over Georgia's summer humidity anyday.  Unfortunately, my wife just got tenured at her job (chemistry professor), so I doubt we will be moving anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
FMJshooter would like to know what some of your job titles are. I may have to look into a new field in a year or so.

Facility Manager/IT/Maintenance Mechanic/Electrician/Supply Logistics/Communications Electronics Technician/Aircraft Mechanic.  With the exception of the last title, they all apply to my current job title (first title).

You've heard the phrase: Chief, cook and bottle washer?  That's me. One call, does it all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Chief, cook and bottle washer

When I was in the Navy I used to get mail addressed to me with this title.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Field Service Engineer for a Japanese company that makes processing equipment for the semiconductor manufacturing industry.  I am currently an on-site resource for the largest processor manufacturer in the world.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#46]
boring
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, the least starting pay is $40k, and one dept in the east valley is starting new P/O's at about $55k !!

That's more than I make with 7 years of Post HS education, a couple degrees and 7 years' field experience

That's less than I make after 3 weeks of truck driving school and one years experience >:)

Yep. Having a degree and having a marketable skill are two completely different things.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, the least starting pay is $40k, and one dept in the east valley is starting new P/O's at about $55k !!

That's more than I make with 7 years of Post HS education, a couple degrees and 7 years' field experience

That's less than I make after 3 weeks of truck driving school and one years experience >:)

Yep. Having a degree and having a marketable skill are two completely different things.

Um, are you suggesting that I don't have a marketable skill?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#49]
40k is good pay to watch a machine.

80k to fix that machine is better.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, are you suggesting that I don't have a marketable skill?

Well something is wrong. You spent 7 years in college, earned multiple degrees, have 7 years experience and you make less than $40,000/year?

No offence, but either your skill isn't worth very much or you're working for the wrong person.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top