Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/26/2013 7:35:47 AM EST
You pay extra money for the parts of the chicken we used to throw away. Even if they have some meat, it isn't much and you pay as much, or more, than you would pay for a breast, thigh or drumstick.

It is like going to a steak place and, instead of a filet or a damn t-bone, you ask for the assholes and lips and then pay extra for the service!

Fire away, GD!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:39:13 AM EST
The chicken is more like something to carry the sauce.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:40:44 AM EST
Craze? I been digging chicken wings for ten or 12 years! Ain't nothing like a huge plate of wings and cold beer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:40:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 7:41:06 AM EST by jmccoy]
I get the strips at Hooters.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:43:04 AM EST
People used think pork ribs were throwaway cuts too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:43:47 AM EST
craze??? in some places chicken wings have never been a "craze", its normal.
now the whole lets put buffalo sauce on everything? that's a craze
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:44:08 AM EST
15 years ago, chicken wings were 15 cents a pound. The grocery store would practically GIVE them to you......

....now they're more than chicken breasts. I'd love to now how that happened myself.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:44:21 AM EST
I don't get the craze for white meat chicken period. The only things the breast has going for it is usable amount of meat if cut properly. Dark meat is more flavorful, juicier and has a better tolerance for cooking before it dries the hell out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:44:22 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jmccoy:
View Quote

People still go to hooters?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:45:45 AM EST
I can remember when only poor people ate the wings. But they are damned tasty when done right. Besides Buffalo wings, they also make really good chicken stock or soup.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By paulky_2000:
15 years ago, chicken wings were 15 cents a pound. The grocery store would practically GIVE them to you......

....now they're more than chicken breasts. I'd love to now how that happened myself.
View Quote
People pay for bottles of water now also. The world has gone crazy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By jrinfoley:
I can remember when only poor people ate the wings. But they are damned tasty when done right. Besides Buffalo wings, they also make really good chicken stock or soup.
View Quote

Even when I was poor, I wouldn't eat chicken wings... a guy has to have a little pride!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:49:14 AM EST
I like chicken wings from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:50:49 AM EST
I've never had them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:22 AM EST
On a related note, I was given notice by my food supplier that chicken wings were going to shoot up in price. The reason? McDonalds is going to offer wings and they cornered the market.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:36 AM EST
I recently found Tyson Appateezers at FSAmart.

They are boneless, which is what I want. I don't like messy foods, I'm a candy ass faggot that way . I think it's an OCD thing, my parents were never assholes about how I ate (except that I finished what I took).

I wish they would come in flavors besides Honey BBQ
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:51:53 AM EST
The Mango Habanero at BWW is awesome! Give me a dozen (or three) of those and I am set!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:52:52 AM EST
The boneless wings at Chilis are good. The rest of the are silly. Just get a plate of deep fried batter and some dipping sauce.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:53:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 7:57:50 AM EST by RedDane]
View Quote

A lot of things that poor people do are popular now. I'll never understand how ghetto culture became popular. On second thought maybe its because the ghetto is the predominant thing now.

btw, I'll eat the heck out of some chicken wings!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:54:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By Arndog86:
The Mango Habanero at BWW is awesome! Give me a dozen (or three) of those and I am set!!!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:54:22 AM EST
I used to demolish them back in the day (late 80's, early 90's) when they were cheap.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:54:46 AM EST
yeah, i always get boneless too. call me a pussy but i like to eat and enjoy my food, not have to work at gnawing it off the bone and get goddamn hot sauce in the cuts and scrapes i have on my hands(from work)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:02 AM EST
Personally, I'm a thigh guy!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:55:20 AM EST
I love chicken wings. I don't get them too often though. Seems like a lot of places charge a dollar per wing nowadays, but I know a couple people that can make some fantastic homemade wings. Great for parties.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:56:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 7:57:27 AM EST by StrkAliteN]
Same philosophy as the slaves BBQing cuts of beef - pork hundreds of years ago because those cuts were deemed inedible by the white folks. The slaves discovered the low and slow method of cooking to tenderize typically 'tough' cuts of meat.

Peoples culinary tastes / demands will reflect directly what the retail market place will sell the product at. it's this little thing we call supply and demand. The market sets the price.

If they were .15 cents a lb - the guy selling them would be sold out in a day - and I guarantee his next batch he would adjust his price upward until he hit 'market value' eventually.

I myself like wings - but I am choosey on from where and when I get the craving. Usually it's a guys together kinda thing at a local sports bar type set up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:57:08 AM EST
I buy skinless/boneless breasts and cube them. Batter, fry and sauce. There are shit tons of sauces on the market to try. DIY.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:57:52 AM EST
I love wings, in fact I grilled some last night.

It is kind of surprising how much they cost though. It wasn't that long ago I was in college, getting 15cent wings and $2 pints at the local microbrewery.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:58:47 AM EST
Even during the few years I didn't have my own chickens, I found it odd to go to a grocery and buy parts of a chicken. I would just buy a whole chicken. Guess its just what you're used to.

I've always eaten the wings, because there are 2 on every chicken I kill.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:00:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:

It is kind of surprising how much they cost though. It wasn't that long ago I was in college, getting 15cent wings and $2 pints at the local microbrewery.
View Quote

Not many years ago, I too was in college getting 15 cent wings and $3 pitchers.

Every Monday Night Football.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:01:34 AM EST
From the thrilling days of yesteryear...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=296841
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:03:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By EffingThirteener:
I don't get the craze for white meat chicken period. The only things the breast has going for it is usable amount of meat if cut properly. Dark meat is more flavorful, juicier and has a better tolerance for cooking before it dries the hell out.
View Quote

I wish your thinking was more mainstream so that the price of breast meat would be cheaper!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:06:34 AM EST
I like chicken wingz, they are expensive for what you get but I enjoy eating them drinking a few beers and watching football.

my dog likes watching me eat them also, he gets the flapper end that has no meat really.

num num num............

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:09:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By NC_Preacher:
You pay extra money for the parts of the chicken we used to throw away. Even if they have some meat, it isn't much and you pay as much, or more, than you would pay for a breast, thigh or drumstick.

It is like going to a steak place and, instead of a filet or a damn t-bone, you ask for the assholes and lips and then pay extra for the service!

Fire away, GD!
View Quote
Exactly. I don't 'get it' either.
I never eat 'hot wings/buffalo wings/ect.' and I don't even eat fried chicken wings.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:19:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By paulky_2000:

View Quote

How does capitalism work?

Lots of food is that way. I like to make Galbijjim (Korean Short RIbs). Beef short ribs seem expensive for what you get.

Would you have ever thought people would be able to sell positive pregnancy tests on Craigslist?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:55 AM EST
Yeah, I never got it either. I'd rather have fried chicken or chicken made most other ways.

They kind of went wild back in the 90s when everyone had to have all kinds of hot sauce and put peppers in everything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:24:03 AM EST
When I was a kid, we fed chicken wings and necks to our cat. I won't eat the damn things. I don't care for dark meat either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:25:30 AM EST
Define "Craze".

Did you just roll out from under your rock?

I can say for certain, they've been very popular for over 20 years. All over the country.

I know how you feel though, I've been waiting for the Rap craze to go away ...since 1985...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:25:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:
People used think pork ribs were throwaway cuts too.
View Quote

Flank meat, too. Now it's fajita meat.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:26:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Agilt:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Agilt:
Originally Posted By jmccoy:

I love their $9 pitchers of bud lite!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:30:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By Zaminsky:
I recently found Tyson Appateezers at FSAmart.

They are boneless, which is what I want. I don't like messy foods, I'm a candy ass faggot that way . I think it's an OCD thing, my parents were never assholes about how I ate (except that I finished what I took).

I wish they would come in flavors besides Honey BBQ
View Quote

Just checked they have several flavors including buffalo. Also they now have Mango Habanero. Tyson Any'tizers I make the buffalo flavor and put BW3's Blazin sauce on them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:30:51 AM EST
You are not alone, I don't get the chicken wing craze either.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:31:42 AM EST
View Quote

Think about this lobster was considered poor people food way back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:35:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By ChuckD05:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ChuckD05:
Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:

Place in my hometown still does that. 15c wings & $4 pitchers of bud & colors. They also do two for Tuesday where every beer and burger is buy one get one. Awesome bar.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:40:10 AM EST
New? Welcome to 1964....

Buffalo Chicken Wings

http://www.anchorbar.com/original.php
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:43:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 8:44:08 AM EST by another_shooter]
The national popularity may relate to the migration of many people from western NY. They then recommended the wings to non-Westen New Yorkers. Next national food craze will be beef-on-kimmelweck… trust me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:47:47 AM EST
Chicken wing craze? That's like asking about the cellular telephone craze.

Originally Posted By BeerPimp:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BeerPimp:

Poor people food? Nope, it was hog feed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:48:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By another_shooter:
The national popularity may relate to the migration of many people from western NY. They then recommended the wings to non-Westen New Yorkers. Next national food craze will be beef-on-kimmelweck… trust me.
View Quote

Buffalo Wild Wings used to be BW3. I don't thing the kimmelweck caught on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:58:10 AM EST
Fuck chicken wings. Give me one of those renaissance fair turkey legs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:01:19 AM EST
I've always love the wings. For a 6-year old kid, they were the perfect size for munching, and as I aged, I added drumsticks and thighs to my repertoire.

We use the white meat for seasoned dishes and grilling. The wings, thighs, and drumsticks are either grilled, pressure-fried, or coated with breadcrumbs and baked in the oven.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:03:26 AM EST
What wing craze, my first memory of eating them was like 1961, always liked them, your just late to the party.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top