Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 11:47:34 PM EDT
I was at work and the boss told me to grind down over 100 man hole covers and repaint them. It took me 12 hours to get 29 done. All I had was a cheep dust mask and I was covered head to foot in metal dust and old paint dust. I blew my nose and it was pure brown/rust color. My lungs feel really shitty too. I must have breathed in a bunch of that shit!
Will my lungs get rid of that crap by them selves or my body absorb it and get rid of it? Can this give me problems down the road like lung or other type of cancer?

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns, ammo, and optics.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be more concerned about the paint dust, has it been tested for lead content?  If not, refuse to do any more until it has been.  You should also demand a proper NIOSH approved dust mask.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

SHIT even in the middle of the night I GET BEAT.......

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Should be alright. I would be concerned about that old paint though. Is it lead based?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
the smaller the particles the more you have to fear.
Its not the occasional exposure you should worry about its prolonged repeated exposure that you should fear.

ill also add generally speaking steels are not that life threatening its the heavy heavy metals within them that can punch your ticket.

take a good hot shower (the steam will help bring some of the crap out of ya), get some sleep, and let your body work all that stuff out you should be good again within a few hours or so.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably iron oxide dust, Fe2O3.  Not poisonous.  Your lungs should be able to clear it out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SHIT even in the middle of the night I GET BEAT.......

Edged weapons

You're gonna die from something, but hey, why rush it?
If you have to keep doing stuff like that I'd get\use better breathing filters
and I'd be using some nose plugs to reduce your exposure as much as possible
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The covers were installed in 1989 sowas lead paint used in 1989? 90% of the paint was gone due to rust.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The covers were installed in 1989 sowas lead paint used in 1989? 90% of the paint was gone due to rust.

lead paint was outlawed WAAAAY before that.

1978 is the golden year
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its not the occasional exposure you should worry about its prolonged repeated exposure that you should fear.

ill also add generally speaking steels are not that life threatening its the heavy heavy metals within them that can punch your ticket.

take a good hot shower (the steam will help bring some of the crap out of ya), get some sleep, and let your body work all that stuff out you should be good again within a few hours or so.

The dust was pretty fine. This is not a normal job for me so I don't do this very much at all. I'm not going to finish the grinding. My boss left long befor I did so Icould not tell him of my concern.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not media blast
It would be much wuicker wouldnt it
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No it wasn't, but the only way to be sure is to test it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why not media blast
It would be much wuicker wouldnt it

I wish I had that luxury!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Find out what type of steel they're made of, and what else is in it. There are certain things that can be really, really bad to inhale. Maybe talk to your doc over the phone if you can, see if you need to come in.

If you start coughing up blood, get seen immediately. ER if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1978 is the golden year

Yet it showed up in Chinese made toys this year.  Shit can happen, I would demand that it be tested.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The dust was pretty fine. This is not a normal job for me so I don't do this very much at all. I'm not going to finish the grinding. My boss left long before I did so Icould not tell him of my concern.

honestly i wouldn't worry too much.  

3m  8214 mask

respirator with 2091 filter.

this kinda stuff takes years and years of prolonged exposure to do irreversible damage.

the once in a while stuff is ok,  but for future reference a 3m model 8214 mask or a 3m respirator with a replaceable 2091 filter  will work very well. those are rated for fine heavy metal particulate and oils that will f*ck your shit up.

also just using a mask thats rated for lead vapor exposure will work well.

I also gotta say these ARE NOT fun to wear everyday.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1978 is the golden year

Yet it showed up in Chinese made toys this year.  Shit can happen, I would demand that it be tested.

i should have said in the "usa"

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Shit, I machine various giant rust covered steel and iron valves all day long, every day. Before that, spent many years working with wood machining.

It takes a while before it will hurt you, definitely not one day. Of course it's good to avoid if possible.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#19]
If it's not done every day, a little dust is nothing to worry about.

The main problem with metal dust is that it interferes with chest x-ray.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If it's not done every day, a little dust is nothing to worry about.

The main problem with metal dust is that it interferes with chest x-ray.

So in other words you can sneak a firearm through the airport metal detectors for the next day or so, just bring a note from your doctor that you inhaled metal on such and such day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Document it, if you think you are exposed to unhealthy levels, it can be years until affects show.  Otherwise, you will be sol.  Something as simple as a saved email is better than nothing.  

The next time you are assigned the task, find out the acceptable levels you can be exposed to.  Someone mentioned a hot shower, do not do this.  It will open up your pores and allow the materials to soak it.  If you are geniunely concerned, take a cool shower.  Yeah it sucks, but it is the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the type of metal in question.  You really should be demanding proper PPE.  Make sure you document this in case you have medical problems further on down the road.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Go see Dr. Magneto.  He can get that stuff right out of there for you.  

Same thing happened to me a few months ago.  I have this old metal workbench that I picked up from someone clearing out his shop.  It was pretty rusty, so I decided to strip the top and repaint it.  It was too heavy to easily move out of my little shop room, so I just stripped it in there.  I wound up with paint and rust dust covering everything in my shop.  I also wore one of those cheap paper masks.  It caught some of the dust, but I was still coughing up dark-colored crud for the next day or so.  I was worried about it at the time, but I was fine the next day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#24]

I've been welding and grinding for years and I never wear a mask.  Dont worry, doing it once wont hurt you. Its doing it for a long time that will.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Once, bah, you'll be fine.

Your whole life?  Might have problems.

Talk to most welders they hate wearing respirators unless its the supplied air kind which provides some air conditioning.

I personally love wearing the half mask with a P100 filter.  That's HEPA quality right there and stops 99.9% of particulates including welding fumes and metal dusts.  Even blocks lead and low levels of asbestos.  What's not to like about that?

Full face suck because they fog up too often and if you're welding having a hood attached to it is a PITA.  If its a PAPR (powered air purifying respirator) they make hood attachments as well as shaded attachments for burning operations.

I always keep a face shield present for grinding. Saw a guy take cut-off wheel to the face once without one and it wasn't pretty.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys!

The metal was what they use in man hole covers....iron???? mixed with dirt and a little old paint from 1989.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got back from work again. I woke up feeling the same, lungs and chest feeling tight and congested. I told my superviser and he told me not to work on the grinding project. The big Boss was not at work today. Now 12 hours later I'm feeling much better. My lungs feel almost 100% so that is a good sign.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I breathed in a lot while I was in Kuwait, I seem to be fine.........................
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Iron?  Not a problem.  You need a little anyhow!  You body can deal with that.

But the rest of the dirt?  Probably full of other bad stuff like silica.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've been welding and grinding for years and I never wear a mask.  Dont worry, doing it once wont hurt you. Its doing it for a long time that will.

exactly,
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Just don't do it all the time or you might end up with something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siderosis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top