Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:15:03 PM EDT
I bought a Imac G4 for $9, now what?

I got it to connect with Ethernet, but wireless is a PITA...... It only will connect if I switch to WEP 128 bit or some crap, which I cannot seem to get my "PC's" to run.

Looks like this:
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck me......I want a $9 iMac.  G4 or not.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
$9
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
surf the intertubes.  My G4 works fine for that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The reason it was $9 is because It was given to my coworker by a guy who has a business next to us, but my coworker sold it to me. He wanted at least $20, but I talked him down a bit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The reason it was $9 is because It was given to my coworker by a guy who has a business next to us, but my coworker sold it to me. He wanted at least $20, but I talked him down a bit.

HTF do you get from $20 to $9? You wanted to give him all the change in your pocket for it? I just don't see how $9 was the result of bargaining.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations, you're the first person in the history of the world to pay what an Imac is actually worth!

You win 500 internets!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#7]
*cough* LINUX *cough*
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Use the hell out of it.  There isn't much that old mac can't do except run Snow Leopard, and your really not missing out on much.

Word of warning though.

If this is your first mac....

I give you 3 months before you have stopped using your pc's, and start looking for a new mac to replace your 9 dollar score

Thats how this mac bashing , network admining, PC user of 23 years ended up with a brand new macbook pro last June.

Once you go mac, you'll never go back.

For all you mac haters, nothing wrong with pc's, I used and loved them for years.  The end user experience on a mac is just so much simpler.  They just work.  Once Microsoft comes out with something to rival Mac OS, I would switch back in a second.  Well, maybe if some pc makers started making laptops out of solid pieces of aluminum like apple does that is.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Congratulations, you're the first person in the history of the world to pay what an Imac is actually worth!

You win 500 internets!!!

This one almost made me cry. You are a funny guy.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome...  I think that Mac supports WPA, it probably calls it "WPA2 Personal", which won't match what your PC says, but should still work just fine.

I suspect you'll hate the mouse –– pretty much everyone does, but the good news is you can plug in any USB mouse to replace it if you decide that's what you want to do.  You can set that mouse up to recognize a click on the right side as a right click, even though it only has one button.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Would make for a damn fun target. Cheaper than paper targets.

I think we found a good use for a MAC.

But being serious, nice score. Assuming it won't die in two months. Even then, it would make a nice target. Would probably be far too slow for my tastes, even for internet use.

I have nightmares of the AMD 2500+ still.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quit your job and become a graphic designer.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You can set that mouse up to recognize a click on the right side as a right click, even though it only has one button.

Bugs the SHIT out of me when everyone still says it "only has one button".  Stupid fuckers.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Take it to the range.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Welcome...  I think that Mac supports WPA, it probably calls it "WPA2 Personal", which won't match what your PC says, but should still work just fine.

I suspect you'll hate the mouse –– pretty much everyone does, but the good news is you can plug in any USB mouse to replace it if you decide that's what you want to do.  You can set that mouse up to recognize a click on the right side as a right click, even though it only has one button.

Some older wireless hardware and software may not support WPA2 AES.

Don't know much about Macs though...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure what the deal is with your wireless.  Other than that, update the OS to 10.4.11 and run it till it pukes.

Once it pukes, throw it the fuck out.  Those things are a complete whore to work on properly.  Access is via the bottom of the base, and you need to support the monitor and neck while the thing's on it's side.  Ram's not expensive for those things either.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#17]
hey that looks like my computer!

I have a 1Ghz iMac 17" with 1gb ram and airport.  Not sure on the security config.  I paid $100 for mine after my 800mhz TiBook finally blew up that I only paid $200 for.  It was 7 years old, and I had it for almost 3 yrs.  (awesome notebook that was)

For what I do at home, it runs just fine. (p0rn b0x and arfcomm).  I have a quad-core monster PC at work for serious stuff and a PC notebook for work also.

These are good computers.  Get some canned air and hose out the vent-path every month or so depending on how dusty your enviroment is.  (intakes air at bottom circumfrence and exhausts out of the top.)

I am saving for a new macbook pro even though I don't need it, I just want it.  Apple = win.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
WOAH Woah woah woah....

...$9???
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You can set that mouse up to recognize a click on the right side as a right click, even though it only has one button.

Bugs the SHIT out of me when everyone still says it "only has one button".  Stupid fuckers.  

It's typical of the Mac haters –– they're usually people who haven't even seen OSX, don't have any idea that they've actually (gasp) improved them since the days of the Mac Plus, and hate them because someone told them to.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's typical of the Mac haters –– they're usually people who haven't even seen OSX, don't have any idea that they've actually (gasp) improved them since the days of the Mac Plus, and hate them because someone told them to.

Some of us hate Macs primarily because of Mac users.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Return it and get your $9 back, and buy yourself a plate of pasta.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I bought a Imac G4 for $9, now what?

I got it to connect with Ethernet, but wireless is a PITA...... It only will connect if I switch to WEP 128 bit or some crap, which I cannot seem to get my "PC's" to run.

Looks like this:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4196/p80700052xl3.jpg

I'll give you $50 + shipping.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Return it and get your $9 back, and buy yourself a plate of pasta.

+1.

OP, you paid too much.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I say go find out how bullet proof these macs are...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I say go find out how bullet proof these macs are...

So I imagine you thought Cash 4 Clunkers was a good idea, huh?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They just work.

Dumbest fucking statement ever, and I'm typing this on a Mac.

care to explain?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds about right. The iMac G4, also known as the iLamp... Fascinating design, but very dated now. 100Mb wired ethernet, USB 1.1(unless you have the last revision of that model which had 2.0 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2643), and only old-style Airport cards - which means 802.11b only, and no support for the newer encryption methods. Your best bet is to just run some ethernet cable for network access. 1GB max RAM, pretty much the only thing you can really upgrade is the hard drive. Can certainly be used for simple stuff, but don't expect to be gaming on it or doing any heavy-duty computing in a hurry. My dad uses one for playing solitaire and surfing the web, and it gets used as a printer server on the network.

I do like the speakers they came with - they sound decent, but they are a powered design that only works with the iMac G4 IIRC(maybe one or two other models from that era). Special connector and all that crap. But then I'm still sore over my old iSub not working with Intel Macs or more recent OS's.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would make for a damn fun target. Cheaper than paper targets.

I think we found a good use for a MAC.

But being serious, nice score. Assuming it won't die in two months. Even then, it would make a nice target. Would probably be far too slow for my tastes, even for internet use.

I have nightmares of the AMD 2500+ still.

Heyyyyy - that's what I'm running (at least until something dies)

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Get a real mouse for it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#32]
$9 bucks isn't bad for a reactive target!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You win 500 internets!!!

LOL, that's good stuff.  Unfortunately you won't be able to use those internets to their full potential.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well it does doesn't it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

You tell me
http://www.hulu.com/watch/94300/macheads
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Mac?

tannerite + video camera = WIN!!!

ETA: bonus points if it has the AR15.com website up as it explodes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Got 6 1/2 years out of my 2003 iMac G4.  Still works for surfing.  Replaced it with another iMac.

Got an HP mini for work.  Forcefeeding Windows into a DOS machine still doesn't make sense.  But, whatever floats your boat.

There are Mac people and PC people...

TC
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quit your job and become a graphic designer.

Yeah, do this. Lord knows I need more competition.

OP: Congrats, that is a heck of a score.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got 6 1/2 years out of my 2003 iMac G4.  Still works for surfing.  Replaced it with another iMac.

Got an HP mini for work.  Forcefeeding Windows into a DOS machine still doesn't make sense.  But, whatever floats your boat.

There are Mac people and PC people...

TC

I'm on 9 years for my Powerbook 2000. Still works... Slow as all getout compared to a new machine but it still works.

I hope to replace it by the end of the year. If not it will celebrate its 10th anniversary before I get a new one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You win 500 internets!!!

I LOL'd  many Times at that one...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#41]
You can probably stuff a new disk into it or connect up an external disk and use it as a file server, iTunes server, media storage, etc. If you stuff a lot of memory into it maybe you can get away with using it for web surfing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mac?

If you could raise enough money to fund me a New PC i could make this happen... Please send $3200 to:
chrism101
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You can probably stuff a new disk into it or connect up an external disk and use it as a file server, iTunes server, media storage, etc. If you stuff a lot of memory into it maybe you can get away with using it for web surfing.

There's a program called Mactracker that'll give the specs on the machine.. Type of hard drive, memory type and max size, etc.  I can't remember if the "lampshade" imacs ran a 2.5 or 3.5 IDE drive, and I can't remember if that was the model with two different ram sizes, one in the "user accessable" bay and the other buried a bit more..

Whatever.. It's all in Mactracker.  I normally have it on my laptop but just swapped to a newer machine and haven't gotten around to downloading it yet.  That and I'm on vacation for the moment and really don't want to "work"
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mac?

If you could raise enough money to fund me a New PC i could make this happen... Please send $3200 to:
chrism101

$3200? hardly. The G4 is old tech, you can find more powerful PC's than that G4 all day for under $100 on craigslist or in a pawn shop, probably less than $25 if you look hard. The new <$500 desktops and laptops at big box stores are far more powerful.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Tell ya what.. I just thought of some serious win to be had from that thing.

The lampshade was one of Mac's showoff "halo" models.. Like the Toyota Supra, the Viper, or the Isuzu Vehicross. I suspect the Macbook Air is one of those.

Low production, lots of custom parts, cutting edge kind of stuff.  Major form over function mindset.

Problem with that type of model, car or computer, is that they're not based much on proven production and they don't have the lifespan to iron out the bugs.  Stuff breaks and the parts aren't there to fix 'em.

With Apples, this manifests itself usefully in the aftermarket.  People fall in love with their machines.. Silly people.  They're willing to spend more than they would on a new machine just to keep their fancy but outdated gadget running.  Few years back, they put out a real honest titanium Powerbook.  They looked awesome, but almost every one I ever saw had the screen hinges fail.  People loved their titanium machine though, and would literally spend $800 for repair.

The lampshade is pretty damn old, but it's a low production machine with lots of custom parts.  Go get the service manual, tear the thing down, and sell the bits on eBay.  Hell, even just separate the display and the base, see what a comparable machine is going for whole, and then sell the separate assemblies at 60-75% of the asking price for the whole thing.  

There are parts in that thing that they will never make again.  Chop shop that bitch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top