Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/28/2003 1:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 5:45:49 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
I had a girl with a very timid voice call from the jail & beg me to please get her out. I could tell from her voice that she was very scared, & out of her element. I don't normally drive to the other side of town to get someone out, in fact this was a 1st for me, as we always have a friend, or relative come in to co sign the papers. She couldn't get anyone on the phone to answer in her time of need so I decided to do her bond anyway. I drove over to the jail after getting the bond done, & picked her up. She was so happy to get out of there, & still a little weepy. She had been arrested for DWI, & was. She still smelled of alcohol & her eyes looked very tired. She is the 23 year old daughter of a 25 year veteran of the Houston PD. She was very scared about how he would react to the news, & told me she planned to hide it as long as she could. She was a sweet little thing, & a little sad at the same time. The arresting officer passed us on the sidewalk outside the station, & he told her he was sorry he had to arrest her. She is 5' 5" & weighs in at 120 lbs, green/red eyes, blond hair, & works for A&M. She told me she had drank 2 tall boys beers, but I would imagine that would about do it for a person her size. My shift was done about the time we finished her paperwork, so I took her to the towing co that had her truck, because she still hadn't been able to get anyone on the phone to help her out. I did tell her she needed to get a co signer in sometime today, & she said she would. I hope she does because I don't want to anger my new employer by trusting someone who could potentially screw me over. I doubt that she will though. I'm usually a pretty good judge of nature. [red]For any of you LEO's out there: How would you feel if you kid got a DWI?[/red]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:15:53 PM EDT
why would the arresting officer be sorry for arresting her, i have no sympathy for drunks or drug users that drive..hope daddy gives her a good ole fashion beat down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:18:45 PM EDT
Thanks,your updates are very interesting.I bet her dad is going to be one pissed off LEO.On the other hand that could just as easily have been myself,her father or most people here when we were younger and dumber.Thank God no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:21:02 PM EDT
[b]Searcherfortruth[/b]: It sounds like you went above and beyond the strict call of duty to help out the DWI. I hope that she's not blinded by the same poor judgement that she displayed by DWI, and remembers that you helped her out of compassion. I also hope that she wakes the fuck up and realizes that she's got to start being responsible for her actions now. She should handle this incident on her own, and then 'fess up to her old man when she's got the outcome resolved. I hope you don't suffer any repercussions from your employer as a result of your compassion for this drunk.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:21:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:22:47 PM EDT
I think he realized she was basically a very good person, that just did something stupid, & paid big time for it. I had actually met him a spoken to him vehicle to vehicle as to where I needed to go to deliver her bond, 7 when he found out who I was there for expressed that she was a real sweat kid, & that he hated to have to arrest her. Obviously some people are easier to arrest than others.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:28:12 PM EDT
Oh, her dad will find out. She lives at home with her parents, & is on their insurance. She asked me if a DWI would significantly increase her insurance, & I told her yes , in a very major way. I told her it is expensive to get in trouble, so as to discourage further incidents of trouble in folks lives, & basically stupid people just keep getting in trouble for stupid things.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:28:52 PM EDT
how would you all feel if she wrecked her car into a loved one..i stand by my thoughts, she got lucky,,it isnt a mistake to drink and drive, it is a decision she made, unless sumone had a gun to her head..grade A loser in my book, dont care how nice a person is..i have to be on the road with stupid asses like this..
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 1:41:28 PM EDT by thesacrifice]
DWI is not a mistake...... Should have let the bitch rot in her cell http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=58684
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:39:53 PM EDT
I arrested the son of a small town deputy sheriff thursday night. He showed a false ID trying to get into the beer gardens at the county fair. He smelled like a brewery and blew a 0.124. He was charged with MIC and misrepresentation of ID. He knew he screwed up and his mom (the deputy) was going to kick his butt. 19 year olds do stupid things, and hopefully he will learn from the experience. He was polite and cooperative, and was in good spirits. He's a good kid who screwed up, and if this is the worse thing he gets in trouble for, he is lucky. No, I didn't feel sorry for him, and he did ask me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 1:42:25 PM EDT by TRW]
Search. I hope this works out for you since you took a chance on her. If I was in your situation I might have done the same thing. Now...if I had called up all timid and teary eyed and scared would you have done the same for me [;D] I don't think so [:)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:46:12 PM EDT
Did 'ya "hit it"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:52:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:07:44 PM EDT
I arrested a deputy's son one night for DWI. The drunk ran me off the road. I chased him down, then had to run him down on foot. After I had him handcuffed he wanted me to let him go because his dad was a cop too and I knew him. When I got back to my car with the kid and radio it in the deputy called and asked it that was his kid (there was another kid with almost the same name in town). I said yes it was. He told he he would meet me at the jail. I thought I was going to have a hard time with the deputy at the jail. But only in holding him off his kid. I don't like drunks/DWI's and I think the book should be thrown at them and their cars should be sold at auction to pay for the damages they do. ED
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:25:40 PM EDT
Ive told my coworkers to go full bore on any of my kids. They know right from wrong and if they chose wrong they're going to be responsible for it. Unfortunately Ive had to deal with this a couple of times, including my son being the victim of an Admin Captains annual traffic stop.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 2:37:14 PM EDT by Citabria7GCBC]
My daddy (HPD RET.) would have left me in the jail to teach me a lesson...he taught me right from wrong...so i know better than to mess with the law.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 4:46:42 PM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
I agree that what she did is wrong, no doubt about that what so ever. She didn't have an accident, or cause any damage. That's not to say she wouldn't have if not for being placed under arrest. I'm all for law. & order. & really have a good laugh at most of my clients expense. Because most of them are repeat offenders. More of the street thug type of idiots. She wasn't though. Just had a period of really bad judgment. If she had killed my kid, or any other person for that matter, I would be all for prison time. I'm must admit I feel bad for her, because it the 1st offense, in a dumb kids life. Yes, I'm old enough to consider a 23 year old a kid in some cases, yet with the obligation of being responsible for their own actions. I'm not sorry she got caught, or arrested, or towed, or bonded. She had it coming. I fell bad she made such a stupid mistake, & I hope she wises up, & doesn't become a chronic problem. I really tried to tell her that the people I usually deal with are seedy to say the least. I hope she will do better, if not, she is just more job security.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:04:24 PM EDT
she deserves everything that she is going to get.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:12:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: Funny how many good kids there are who don't [s]screw up[/s] get caught.
View Quote
Then again, 23 is a bit much to be calling her a kid.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:20:00 PM EDT
would you of have done the same if it was some poor slob's daughter who was ugly as a dog and had to pawn her false teeth for the bail?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 5:33:25 PM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
I never saw her till after I had bonded her out, her looks had nothing to do with it. It was the fear in her voice, & her cry for help that caused me to help her. I doubt very much that I would do the same for for everyone who calls me. There was just something about her that made me want to help her out. If she had been ugly as a wart when I picked her up I would still have given her a ride to the tow yard. It's a good thing to help someone, & I try to help anyone I can. Yes I agree that she deserves what she gets for her actions, don't we all?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:34:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth: I never saw her till after I had bonded her out, her looks had nothing to do with it. It was the fear in her voice, & her cry for help that caused me to help her. I doubt very much that I would do the same for for everyone who calls me. There was just something about her that made me want to help her out. If she had been ugly as a wart when I picked her up I would still have given her a ride to the tow yard. It's a good thing to help someone, & I try to help anyone I can. Yes I agree that she deserves what she gets for her actions, don't we all?
View Quote
You're a good man, Search. Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:34:40 PM EDT
I would be a hell of a lot harder on my kid if they were arrested for dwi than any officer would. I've arrested a few officer's kids for dwi and one time I even popped a texans cheerleader for dwi and poss of marijuana and her daddy was HPD. DWI is DWI and no favorites get played by me. I get sick and tired of working accident and seeing people hurt by drunks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:41:11 PM EDT
Lots of judgment here and some seem a little too quick on the draw. Before any of you get out of line and call me a liberal freak, let me point out that in 1994, my brother was killed by a drunk so I speak from the side of the victim. My brother was only 27 years old, single and was a mid-level manager at a automotive electrical component manufacturing facility. He was an active shooter, NRA member, fisherman, gun owner and hunter. Not a single person to this day has anything but the utmost respect for him and his memory lives on in the family and all those he ever met. First of all, how many bars in Houston have parking lots? I would venture ALL OF THEM. Not that I have much experience, I would say I have visited only a handful. But its a hunch. What is the threshold for alcohol impairment on driving? Don't tell me any statute, tell me the actual. You cannot. If you took a 1/2 oz of Everclear immediately before blowing into the machine, you would definitely blow something over the legal limit of 0.08% but you driving could not be statistically affected. Experienced drunks like those who are chronically dependent on alcohol can function with NO measurable impairment. This experience is from neuromuscular motor compensation, something possible in many DWI cases. There in is the problem. The I is for Influence. Not BAC percentage. And the state arbitrarily sets limits based on the mean or average impairmant. Real precise and codifiable. Here is some more info on the subject: [url]http://www.velocitypress.com/f_knowledge.htm[/url] (item #5) Here are some results from a test conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation, published in August 2000, called “Driver Characteristics and Impairment at Various BACs. (DOT HS 809075). See if you can spot the sneaky equivocations. “It should be noted that although the sample reflects possibly 80-90% of alcohol consumers who drive, it did not include drivers under age 19 or over 70. Furthermore, no very heavy drinkers or alcohol abusers were accepted as subjects, (emphasis added) and the maximum BAC examined was 0.10%.” [In other words, exactly those people who are skilled at drunk driving (and claim they are safe drivers) were specifically excluded from a test to see how unsafe drunk drivers are!!! (Lordy, where do these sociologists get their license to practice?)] “A study by Moskowitz, Daily and Henderson (1974) supported this finding with a comparison of extremely heavy drinkers (recruited from bars) and moderate drinkers. They reported that heavy drinkers were less impaired than moderate drinkers at equal BACs (emphasis added) on several psychomotor tasks. Also, a mean ethanol clearance rate of 0.020% per hour for the heavy drinkers, in comparison to a rate of 0.017% per hour for the moderate drinkers, demonstrated a physiological difference between the heavy and moderate drinkers.”
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:41:46 PM EDT
LEO's don't get me wrong. I agree that what she did is wrong, & could have been much worse if she hadn't been corralled by the C.S. police, & taken off the streets. I just felt bad for the hell she going to go thru now that she used bad judgment. I would never condone drinking, & driving. Unless you live in a wilderness area by your self, & the odds of DWI are 100% 0 that you will hurt anyone but yourself, or a spruce tree patch.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:43:18 PM EDT
That was quite a chance you took bonding her out based only on a call....but considering her parents you shouldn't have a skip risk on your hands. People mess up...it happens....having worked part time for a bondsman long ago I can tell you it's actually a pleasure to help out a person who's actually remorseful once in a while (despite the fact that it may NOT be the smartest thing to do) because most of the people I wrote bond for were FILTH. Every great once in a while you get someone who meeses up and messes bad and.....so what. She didn't rob a bank, she didn't molest a child in the Name of God, she wasn't hookin', she had a couple and shouldn't have gotten in her car. So the kid screwed up...she didn't hurt anybody ( yes she could have ) and she's gonna get both barrels really soon so what the hell... SearchforTruth....good show.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:52:19 PM EDT
Kids are going to do stupid shit like that no matter what you try to tell them. I did. I can't understand why parents can't have a no questions asked policy for their kids. If they get drunk, stoned, dumped out by a boyfriend/girlfriend etc. Just call you parents, they pick you up and your vehicle no questions asked at that time. The following morning, when the anger and panic of the situation has subsided and minds are clear, you beat the shit out of the little punk for putting you through that, impound the vehicle and chaprone them on every date.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:28:01 PM EDT
I have to say that I agree with the hard line taken with people who CHOOSE to drink and drive. As far as I'm concerned here, the operative word is CHOOSE. When I was in high school, I once drove after having a few beers. I KNEW that I shouldn't have done it, even though I didn't feel drunk at all, but it was only a few blocks, so what was the harm? My mom was up when I came home, and gave me the only belting she ever gave me. If I had been pulled over, I would have deserved everything that I got. I know a lot of women who go out drinking since I'm in college, and every one of us has someone we can and HAVE called if we need to not be driving. I have never known anyone who didn't know that they had no business being on the road. 3 months ago I had to go through a 6 hour back surgery that I will be recovering from for at least a year. I was hit by a drunk driver a year and a half ago and have been out of school ever since, I hope to go back in the fall if my progress is sufficient enough. I might never be able to go skydiving again, backpacking. I may never be able to drive a stick shift again. I may never be able to run again, I used to run 3-5 miles a day. I had planned on enlisting in the army when I graduated, that will not happen now. I can't lift a shotgun right now, much less shoot one. I can't carry my own textbooks, I can't bend down to pick something up off the floor. The list goes on and on. My life has been forever changed by someone who decided to drive while drunk, he probably thought that he could handle it. I'm an awesome girl who was extremely active in outdoor sports and shooting, pretty intelligent and earned A's in school. I have no sympathy for people who drive drunk, or even obviously intoxicated, because I know from personal experience that people have the CHOICE to drive or not to drive, and if they get behind the wheel, they deserve whatever hell they get.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:48:37 PM EDT
And just how many LEO's go after red light runners like they do drunk drivers? How many people are killed/injured by callous red light runners? Selective enforcement of laws is one of the symptoms of law enforcement going wrong. Unless you want to enforce ALL the laws on the book with equal veracity, you are not an impartial enforcer. Don't take this the wrong way, its just in the name of certain groups, enforcement is skewed. And its not from the rank and file, its from the top down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:09:36 PM EDT
I know a hot-ass girl who was driving completlly trashed and slammed into another car, totalling both cars. She was so drunk she didn't even remember getting into her car and driving. Any ways she is hot and was coming from a party wearing a short skirt and high heels, the officer that showed up was a young guy... while they were working everything out her dad showed up, and he's a detective. She ended up getting an MIP and that's it. The officer told her he "Didn't want to ruin her life." I found that to be complete bullshit, if anyone would have been responsible for "ruining her life" it would have been her. P.S. the people she hit were injured and tried to battle her in court, and they lost.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:22:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth: I had a girl with a very timid voice call from the jail & beg me to please get her out. I could tell from her voice that she was very scared, & out of her element. I don't normally drive to the other side of town to get someone out, in fact this was a 1st for me, as we always have a friend, or relative come in to co sign the papers. She couldn't get anyone on the phone to answer in her time of need so I decided to do her bond anyway.
View Quote
Originally Posted By TRW: Search. I hope this works out for you since you took a chance on her. If I was in your situation I might have done the same thing. Now...if I had called up all timid and teary eyed and scared would you have done the same for me [;D] I don't think so [:)]
View Quote
Bingo. Maybe I'm just a hopeless cynic, but I'll bet that this isn't the first scrape that she has tried to get out of by batting her pretty little eyes. If I'm right, then you need to be [b]very[/b] careful around her, because the ones who try to use the "damsel in distress" routine to get out of a jam will turn on you in a dead second if they think that it isn't working anymore. Hypothetically speaking, how much of a trick-bag would you be in if she went to the police and said, "The guy from the bail-bond company said that I wouldn't need a co-signer if I would give him a blowjob on the way home." If you're saying to yourself, "She wouldn't jam me up like that just to try and get out of a lousy DWI", then you are in the wrong line of work, my friend.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:23:17 PM EDT
I've known more than a few LEOs that were chronic, regular drunk drivers. Lots of departments have regular bars where they hang out, and they don't take taxis home. Its not impossible she learned to drive drunk by watching daddy do the same.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:44:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth: I never saw her till after I had bonded her out, her looks had nothing to do with it. It was the fear in her voice, & her cry for help that caused me to help her. I doubt very much that I would do the same for for everyone who calls me. There was just something about her that made me want to help her out. If she had been ugly as a wart when I picked her up I would still have given her a ride to the tow yard. It's a good thing to help someone, & I try to help anyone I can. Yes I agree that she deserves what she gets for her actions, don't we all?
View Quote
You're a good man, Search. Carry on.
View Quote
I agree. Search you sound like a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:56:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J: What is the threshold for alcohol impairment on driving? Don't tell me any statute, tell me the actual. You cannot. If you took a 1/2 oz of Everclear immediately before blowing into the machine, you would definitely blow something over the legal limit of 0.08% but you driving could not be statistically affected. Experienced drunks like those who are chronically dependent on alcohol can function with NO measurable impairment. This experience is from neuromuscular motor compensation, something possible in many DWI cases.
View Quote
First if you swigged some alc. immed before a breath test, an Intoxilyzer or Intoximeter wouldn't accept the sample. Either of those would register as "mouth alcohol". A PBT, those hand held do-dads that cops use on the street doesn't detect mouth alcohol. It would measure your BAC as .30 or something crazy. Because all it is testing is the alcohol that mixed with the spit in your mouth that you are now exhaling. Most testing procedures for evidentiary tests requires a waiting period, in which the test subject is observed, to make sure they don't drink anything, or up-chuck prior to the test. It's usually 15 or 20 minutes. [blue]Experienced drunks like those who are chronically dependent on alcohol can function with NO measurable impairment. This experience is from neuromuscular motor compensation, something possible in many DWI cases.[/blue] This is really untrue. "Experienced drunks" generally don't look intoxicated, and have learned to do things to compensate for their intoxication. They may walk slower, talk slower etc. But they STILL have trouble with divided attn. tasks when intoxicated, just like the rest of the world. Divided attnetion tasks are tasks that require you to do more than 1 thing at a time. IE play baseball, run while focusing on a pop-fly, driving-speed, lane, following distances etc. Experienced drunks, don't look drunk, thier bodies are used to dealing with alcohol. Their ability to deal with the unexpected is just as bad when intoxicated, as a non-habitual drinker. The answer, if your ability to do SIMPLE divided attn. tasks is effected, you shouldn't be operating the most dangerous item that most people will ever handle, a car.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:13:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J: And just how many LEO's go after red light runners like they do drunk drivers? How many people are killed/injured by callous red light runners? Selective enforcement of laws is one of the symptoms of law enforcement going wrong. Unless you want to enforce ALL the laws on the book with equal veracity, you are not an impartial enforcer. Don't take this the wrong way, its just in the name of certain groups, enforcement is skewed. And its not from the rank and file, its from the top down.
View Quote
Well, in many places to succesfully prosecute a "red light runner", the officer must have seen the red light that the runner was supposed to stop for. So if an officer is at an intersection and sees a green light facing east-west traffic, and a "runner" comes through the intersection north-south, and stopes that person. The defense will be that the officer didn't see what the N-S signals were showing at the time of the alleged infraction. You know what, in many places that will result in a not guilty. If an officer sees a person "blow" a red light in front of them, are you saying the officer should "blow" the same light in order to go after that person? Seems like the officer is creating the same risk. I mention that because that is the reasoning that the person that complains will use. Nextly we'll get into the "when I went it was yellow". Yes that's right EVERYONE that goes through a red light actually went through on yellow, I know I've asked. Or in the case of "right on red" they either did stop, even if they squeeled the tires while performing that high-G turn, or they don't think they have to stop prior to taking a right turn. Don't get me started on flashing red arrows. I agree red light runners are bad. But it is actually a little tougher to observe the violation, and SAFELY go after the offender than it seems it should be.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:58:16 AM EDT
I just got home from work, & I talked to my replacement. She told me a co signer had come in for my bond, & she said the girl had called her friend to co sign for the bond from her driveway. She had handled it before even going inside. Her friend also said that she had talked to her about telling daddy right away, & taking the fall out sooner, rather than later. As far as her pulling a power stunt & accusing me of trying to solicit sex in leu of a co signer, I would imagine it would be her word against mine, & it could go either way. I don't even know if doing something like that is illegal, but I know it is immoral, & I wouldn't have anything to do with a proposal of that nature. Maybe it would be under the heading of trying to extort sex, or on her part if she offered sex in leu of a co signer, prostitution. Maybe it would just be the act of 2 consenting adults in the laws eyes. I don't really know. I just know I trusted her to do the right thing asap to keep me out trouble at work, & she did.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:29:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery: Don't get me started on flashing red arrows.
View Quote
Shal we assume they drive ya bat shit??? [:D] oly, you're a small town chief aren't you???
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:17:34 AM EDT
Searcherfortruth You are learning your trade craft quickly. I dont envy you, I am glad she got the CO sign down to yall. Make sure you follow your gut when it says to play the bad guy too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:37:02 AM EDT
You see this a lot in college towns. Kids who have never been in much trouble in their home town and then go to college and get busted for DUI. Then the cuffs get put on. They have a chance to reflect on life while being transported to the jail. Most are scared sh1tless by the time they get to jail. Most are even more afraid to tell mom and dad. It isnt just cops kids. We get lawyers, legislators, doctors, farmers kids etc. When I worked at the college, there were so many DUIs between the college kids and the military, unless you were a major problem, you got diversion paperwork when you walked into the clerks office. Even if you didnt have an attorney. AND for the one child who once said-DONT YOU KNOW WHO MY DAD IS? Yep, you can call him at the jail. (GEE, HE DID'T WANT TO CALL DAD AT THE JAIL)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:50:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86:
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery: Don't get me started on flashing red arrows.
View Quote
Shal we assume they drive ya bat shit??? [:D] oly, you're a small town chief aren't you???
View Quote
No I understand exactly what they are for. At more than a few intersections, late at night, the straight ahead signals go to flashing yellow, but the left turn arrows go to flashing red. You would think there were signs flashing "alto". Because it's like they are in a foriegn language. Not to mention the 17 yo's that say there driving instructor told them flashing red means slow down, but proceed. locally they are trying to have flashing yellow arrows installed in addition to regular green lights. It seems some people are confused, when they see a green light, and think that the don't have to yield to oncoming traffic while making a left turn. Yeah that's it, people that are confused by the wildly complicated traffic control system we use now, like the rest of the WORLD, will get LESS confused with MORE signals. FYI, I am at the bottom of the food chain. No office, no special hours, not in charge of anything.
Top Top