Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2007 7:20:52 PM EDT
We have a year and a half old pure bred yellow Lab.  We love him, but he is unquestionably the most useless dog ever.

He has eaten the siding off the garage while locked in the back yard........
Eaten the metal skin off the garage door (I'm still not sure how this is possible)....
Eaten the door jambs in the house if we turn our back on him for 5 seconds.....
Eaten countless pairs of shoes, despite having plenty of chew toys to play with......
Wolfs down an entire bowl of water in seconds, then gets sick and pukes.......
Rips a hole to get in our screened porch, and then can't figure out how to get back out....
Won't swim........
Has no interest in retrieving.......

All these problems persist even after investing $2000 in professional training.  

Because of his chewing we have to lock him in a crate while we are gone otherwise he would eat the entire house.  I locked him in his crate for 4 hours this evening.  When I let him out he was all wet.  Yep, you guessed it.  He pissed himself in his crate after only 4 hours.   It was nasty.   After proceeding directly to the tub to wash him it was time to get a mop to clean up the crime scene.

The only thing he does right is eat.

I dare anyone to top this mutt in terms of stupidity and absolute worthlessness.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe hes half goat...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]

not my dog but ill attempt to start the topping
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
you win, ....well...sorta..
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You win.    At least compared to my dog.

She's never chewed on anything she wasn't given as a gift first.   And I mean NOTHING.  Not one sock, not one shoe, not one Christmas ornament hanging off the tree.    She's smarter than half the people I know and a list more sensible than 3/4 of the rest.    She also knows
more tricks and more commands than most people I know.

Australian Shepherds have to be among the best dogs you can get.   But I've heard of more than one dumb lab like yours.  Some are smart, others simply aren't.   Sorry to hear you got the one that was sleeping when the brains were handed out.

CJ
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]

first night home after surgery
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You win that dubious prize, I guess. The dumbest think my dog ever did was walk into a wall face-first and she only did that once. That I know of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a stupid puppy to me, its possible for him to grow out of it. Our dog is retarted as well. When he drinks water half of it ends up on the floor. he never did play fetch very well. Probably the most annoying thing he does is he never stops whining, he always wants more. And where most dogs calm down when you pet him he becomes psychotic and rubs against you and just wants more. Wont come when you call him, even though he hears you.

Hes 14, so some of this could be him just becoming senial. But hes never been a bright dog. Got hit by a car twice. Damn he could fight other dogs good though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
That is funny, a coworker was just lamenting his black lab today.
His perfect yard looks like the moon. Chews everything,it is now tied with 3/16 cable.
My lab is smart. He knows his right from left, will not scratch the door- one bark to be let in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/Xander_9/toomuchwant.jpg

not my dog but ill attempt to start the topping

That's the fault of of the shitbag owner, not the dog.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i want "downers" for my dog sometimes... just give him a pill to make him chill out for a while! i could easily throw a ball for him for 4 hours straight and he would still come back for more...

he doesnt respond to some commands very well, like "come here!"  but if i say "treat" he comes running! which i dont want to train him on the word treat

house breaking was a bitch... he didnt figure out he had to tell us he wanted to go outside....

but now, besides him being TOO active and not listening to some commands, he is an AWESOME dog. about 9-10 months old now. rarely chews on anything worth any value.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Doctor M14:

Who got trained? You or the dog?

I ask because dog training isn't really for the dog. If you spent $2000 thinking the dog would be any different, you got snookered.

And, chewing is normal for some dogs but is typically a reaction to boredom, discomfort, stress or anxiety.

Sounds more like your dog doesn't know what to do with himself. Do you work with him every day? Do you give him a lot of one-on-one exercise? Do you provide him things he likes to eat or chew other than garage and fences? That's what it takes to have a good Lab if he's a motivated dog.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Inbreeding! It's not just for Tennessee'ns!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
You can't take shit off of anybody, expecially your kids or dogs, for their sake.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
get rid of the stupid, destructive animal
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My parent's dog, which is half char-pei and half black lab and 100% stupid takes the cake, in my opinion.

Two summers ago we built a wooden staircase with a landing to get up on the top deck, where we built a little observation deck to take advantage of the million-dollar view.

The dog has not yet (almost two years later) figured out how to climb the stairs. No ammount of cajoling helps, the dog will stretch as far as possible, but will not take her back feet off the ground.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I think mines pretty close to yours
Eaten through 1 bed room door
bedroom door molding
some of the sheetrock by the door
chewed up 2 dresser drawers
One expensive Dainese helmet
Pair of Dainese Gloves
Pair of Oakleys
several VHS tapes and a few cd's
chewed up a couple steps on wooden deck
His other favorite hobby is barking at rocks

He seemed to of grown out of the chewing at around 2 1/2 3 years of age though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think you mean Arkansas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#18]

We have a year and a half old pure bred yellow Lab.  We love him, but he is unquestionable the most useless dog ever.

He has eaten the siding off the garage while locked in the back yard........
Eaten the metal skin off the garage door (I'm still not sure how this is possible)....
Eaten the door jambs in the house if we turn our back on him for 5 seconds.....
Eaten countless pairs of shoes, despite having plenty of chew toys to play with......
Wolfs down an entire bowl of water in seconds, then gets sick and pukes.......
Rips a hole to get in our screened porch, and then can't figure out how to get back out....
Won't swim........
Has no interest in retrieving...

I dare anyone to top this mutt in terms of stupidity and absolute worthlessness.

A lot of that is pretty normal, labs chew - a lot.  But I'm pretty sure our dog, also a yellow lab, is dumber.  She is just over 7 years old.  

Like your dog, she also will not swim and does not retrieve.  
She squeels (very loudly) like a pig whenever she's in the car.
I will hear her barking over and over in the garage, when I go out to check on her, turns out she's barking at the ladder.
She refuses to walk past large, odd-shaped objects, such as guitars, balloons, rifles, etc.
She will not use her nose when tracking.
She has the spirit of a cat, that is, she sprawls out, and is curious/scared of everything.
Loud noises (or far away loud noises such as fireworks) cause her to cower and tremble.
On walks, she gets over excited, stops, and vomits.
Won't jump into the back of the truck, we have to lift her, or use the ramp.

There is more, I'm sure.

Overall, a complete failure of a dog.  But she's pretty friggin' cute.

Lucie

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sounds more like your dog doesn't know what to do with himself. Do you work with him every day? Do you give him a lot of one-on-one exercise? Do you provide him things he likes to eat or chew other than garage and fences? That's what it takes to have a good Lab if he's a motivated dog.

That's exactly what it sounds like.

And as long as we're posting dog pictures...

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#20]
$3,500 worth of Rottweiler later, bought from the same school AND trainer of my first Rott who was legendary (you could tell him when to pee & he'd do it instantly!)  I now have "Gunner"  - I didn't name him, the school did, but would be lying if I said it wasn't the reason I picked him.  He is absolutely retarded.  He regularly meets me at the back door with pieces of my deck in his mouth, and when I feel sorry for him and convince the wife to let him come in the house, he never fails to drop a stack of recycled Pedigree on the bathroom floor - I try to argue with the wife that at least he gets the right room, but can't get his ass high enough to drop it in the john.  My wife calls him & he answers to f@#kface.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I will hear her barking over and over in the garage, when I go out to check on her, turns out she's barking at the ladder.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I ask because dog training isn't really for the dog. If you spent $2000 thinking the dog would be any different, you got snookered.

And, chewing is normal for some dogs but is typically a reaction to boredom, discomfort, stress or anxiety.

Actually both the dog and my wife and I received instruction.  The dog is better than before, but at this point I doubt he will ever be more than the village idiot.  We do work with him every day, and he gets walks.  He is manageable on a leash, but that was a bitch to accomplish.  The trainer did do some good for him in this department.  

The dog has an entire toy box of stuff to chew on, so he really has no excuse for being destructive other than he just gets bored with his toys and wants a nice shoe to chew on, or to jump up on the kitchen counter and see what is available if he catches us not looking.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You can't take shit off of anybody, expecially your kids or dogs, for their sake.  

What shit is he supposed to not take from his pet?

Chewing?

Chewing isn't a behavior issue, it's a byproduct of physiology and frustration. This dog sounds like it needs to understand its place in the household and to be given a job. Labs are workers, and if you don't keep an energetic one busy, he'll go batshit crazy on you. Some dogs are worse than others, but when you have a dog you have to be a good owner just as you expect them to be a good dog. It's a relationship, and you have to do your part too. If you can't devote time to an energetic pet, find a new owner that can.

My dog is high energy, but if you work him and keep him busy he's a super pet and will not act out. Tie him to a tree or forget about him, and he'll wreck your world. That's just his nature. I enjoy it, frankly, but some people expect a dog to be Lassie just because someone else has one that looks like it with a different nature. Dogs don't work like that, and you should understand it before taking one on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#25]

The dog has an entire toy box of stuff to chew on, so he really has no excuse for being destructive other than he just gets bored with his toys and wants a nice shoe to chew on, or to jump up on the kitchen counter and see what is available if he catches us not looking.

He needs motivation to chew the right things. It's another thing to work on.

Do you have a "Kong" ball? If not, get one. You can load the crevices up with peanut butter (makes them nutty trying to get it all out, keeps them busy for a while). Some even have an inner chamber where you can stuff treats so they have to work hard to get at them.

Give your dog something like this, that he'll really enjoy and make it part of his play time with you. Toss it to him, praise him when he chews on it. Make sure he knows that's a "good thing" to chew on.

Then, if you catch him chewing on something bad (you have to catch him in the act, not afterward), scold him and redirect him to the Kong or a good toy. Get his attention right at that moment on a positive thing and when he indulges you praise him.

Keep doing this, and in a very short time he'll realize that chewing shoes=bad. Chewing Kong=good. He'll want to keep on your good side (because that's his nature), so he'll gradually learn some things are better to chew than others.

It takes a little effort, but it works 100%. I've been through it with several dogs.

Now, the cage/wetting issue is the same way. Start small. Put him in there for a short spell. Leave the house just for a few minutes or half hour or whatever. When you come back and he's been good, take him out and praise him with some play time. Then, do it again each time increasing the length of time he's in there. If he's made a mess or is destructive DO NOT PUNISH HIM. Just let him out, clean the mess and ignore him. Only praise him when he's been good.

He'll learn 2 things here. First, that he's supposed to stay in there and not fuck it up. If he does good, he gets play time. Second, your short to long trips with rewards at the return gives him reassurance that you ALWAYS come home. This will comfort him and make it easier for him to relax when you're gone.

I'm the son of a dog trainer, and learned this lesson through 6 breeds and hundreds of animals. You can break your dog's habits, if you're consistent and praise the right things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
training...
who needs training...
this is my folks dog, Prada. she has my parents trained.
she has a whole chest dedicated to her toys. any new stuffed animal that is brought into the house is instantly assumed ot be a toy of hers, so she will get all excited untill you give it to her.
at promptly 4PM she barks hystaricaly untill fed.
there is a ton more but i am having a hard time putting it into words.
to summ it up, she is a master at manipulation.
my girlfriend is a sucker for her sad eyes she gives when you are putting on shoes to leave

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#27]

It was a very good day.

That's definitely what that dog is saying here in this awesome picture.

CJ
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I believe we have come to the root of the problem. Doctor M14, have you ever watched, The Dog Whisperer? That guy has it down. I've tried some of his techniques on this guy:

just a plain 'ol save from the pound death chamber dog, and within minutes he is responding well. YMMV.

AB

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]
If your dog is chewing off the siding, maybe he needs something else to keep him "busy".

Hotdoll for Dogs

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know... my miniature Dacshunds eat: concrete (not solid, but the washout area remnants after cleaning the mixer), safety wire from my garage floor, zip-tie ends, sawdust... I could go on.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#31]
My boxer once got to a dozen eistein bagels that was kept in 2 gallon sized ziplock bags. Ate the bagels, the plastic "bodies" but left the hard zippers on the floor. No biggie- our fault for making it accesible to his counter surfing.

Some time later, we forgot to close a bottom cabinet drawer where we keep our costco sized boxes of ziplock bags. He got to it, tore through a box and ate all the plastic bags (apparently looking for the bagels inside the bags). He left all the zippers scattered on the floor though.

Took more than a week for him to pass all the plastic. Pieces of nasty plastic was fluttering around my backyard untill i picked them all up or it got blown off by the wind.

Stupid dog but bullet proof digestive track!

DD
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow! Sorry to hear of some your issues with dogs. Some of you may want to look at getting an APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier), I reference it that way because any breeder worth a damn with refer to his or dogs as APBT and not "pit bull". Ive had two that I purchased from reputable breeders and have had ZERO issues. Ive got a 4.5 month old right now and he is completely house trained. Has not had one accident since 3 mo's old.

They really are remarkable dogs, highly intelligent with almost human like emotions. Calm when you want them to be and balls out when they can sense its go time. They are fiercely loyal and will stay by your side till the death. Mine do not bark EVER unless someone knocks on the door and its only like 2-3 barks. They clean themselves like a cat are just amazing specimens, mine look like walking anatomy charts.

If you go this route, try your damndest to avoid "back yard breeders", you will know them when you see them. A good breeder usually has Champion dogs that they show. If you want any info Ill be happy to provide some links.

I dont think I will ever own any other kind of dog.

Ps, they also make great hunting dogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#33]
You all should read this book! It is very good and makes you want to keep that "Problem Pooch".

Marley & Me
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Well my roomates dog Max has eaten some pretty wild shit. I mean OUT THERE.

The other day I came in to find he's eaten his way into a can.... yes I said a CAN of fucking cheese wiz and licked out all the cheese. Now mind you sizeable pieces of this can are missing and have yet to be accounted for...

So far according to my buddy the only the thing that's he's eaten that sohwed any ill effects was a good sized piece of insulation. Apparently he had a real hard time getting that back out.

Max is the retarded looking one on the left.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You all should read this book! It is very good and makes you want to keep that "Problem Pooch".

Marley & Me

+1

Tear Jerker as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to post that.

And your dog wins for stupid, man. Holy shit. Let me know when he dies by collapsing your entire house on himself. I think it may be the perfect occasion for founding the Animal Kingdom Darwin Awards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#37]
My dad's dog is pretty stupid at times. Once, while taking a piss on a bush, the dog ran up and just stood where the stream hit him in the face. He couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I wasn't inclined to stop pissing if he wasn't smart enough to move out of the way.

Then again, he bit my sister's dumbass boyfriend in the crotch, so he can't be THAT dumb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/USPcompact/IMGP1566.jpg

It was a very good day.

That's definitely what that dog is saying here in this awesome picture.

CJ

Oh hell yeah!!

+2
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#39]
My dog had a problem chewing on everything.. A shoe across her ass enough times cured her of it. Well she doesn't chew on shoes at least. She still chews rocks out back though.

Oh and she HATES tires. Absolutely frigging hates them. If my kids walk their bikes out to the fence, she tries to attack the tires. She tries to bite the tires on the lawnmower, handtruck etc.

Dumb as a rock but has the most heart of any dog I ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#40]
My last dog (RIP), loved to get in the trash and eat tissues.  We bought some plastic trash cans with spring up lids to try to keep him out.  I came home one day and he meets me at the door with this  "crap I'm busted" look on his face. wearing this around his neck.

It is the top of one of the trash cans. He must have stuck his head in so far it got stuck on him.

God I miss that dog.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Hearing of all these horror animals makes me appreciate my dog even more. I got lucky I suppose....

I've got an Irish Wolfhound cross.
He is now 12 which is quite a few years over average lifespan. Still in good health, still active.
Trained well. ALWAYS comes, Always sits, I've called him off in the middle of a dog fight.
Never chewed, never dug. He does seem to like chasing possums - and he's got a few too.
Lives OUTSIDE like all dogs should. It doesn't get cold where I live. Only during a storm do i let him in. And going by the licking and tailwagging I know he's gratefull as hell.
Goes to work with me everyday and hangs out, doesn't need to be tied up.
When I feed him I put food in front of him, I make him sit & stay. I can then go back inside for ages and he will never touch the food until I come back out and give him the command to eat.
He does his poos at the extreeme edge of my yard. Never taught him this - he figured it out.
When walking he knows heel actually means walk behind me and stay there. But i let him go off on sniffing adventures cause he will always heel back too behind my heels.
Lets the kids ride him without ever complaining. I can tell he hates it but.

I should thank my father for picking him out at the pound and training him so well. My dads some kind of dog whisperer I think. Funnily enough his training involves the usuall treat system, but incorporates a stock whip as well. Not actually hitting the dog, but cracking it in his near vacinity.

Pity I have no pics, but wolfhounds look like this:

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#42]

You win. Aren't you proud
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Separation anxiety related behavior?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Golden Retriever.  Need I say more?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Yesterday things got even better.

I went to pick my wife up at the train station after coming home from a business trip.  I brought the dog along for the ride.  This time it was only 3 hours in the back of the 4 Runner.  I kid you not, we are turning into the freaking driveway at home when I hear the dog unloading in the back of the truck.  F'ing dog pissed up the entire back of the truck.  I was out there for half an hour scrubbing with carpet cleaner.    

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#46]

I went to pick my wife up at the train station after coming home from a business trip.  I brought the dog along for the ride.  This time it was only 3 hours in the back of the 4 Runner.  I kid you not, we are turning into the freaking driveway at home when I hear the dog unloading in the back of the truck.  F'ing dog pissed up the entire back of the truck.  I was out there for half an hour scrubbing with carpet cleaner.    

It's not very common for a dog to urinate in its cage or in a confined space - really seriously goes against their programming. It might behoove you to have the dog checked out at the vet and discuss it with him, could be incontenance brought on by all kinds of things if he's squirting in the cage and car it makes me wonder if he's got bladder control issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#47]
swingset,

The whole pissing thing just started the last couple days.  He actually learned potty training relatively quickly.  Maybe as you say it's worth a trip to the vet if it keeps up.  Shit, right now we just can't afford another 500 bucks at the vet for every test known to man after Uncle Sam cored us out on our taxes and gave us a huge bill.

Quoted:

It's not very common for a dog to urinate in its cage or in a confined space - really seriously goes against their programming. It might behoove you to have the dog checked out at the vet and discuss it with him, could be incontenance brought on by all kinds of things if he's squirting in the cage and car it makes me wonder if he's got bladder control issues.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yep, it sounds like your dog is in need of a SERIOUS walk everyday.  Then, when you get home, play fetch with her/him for about 20 minutes.

Your problems will melt away.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Not mine but a good friends:

Jack

Another friends...

Moxie and Jack

I miss my golden .

Jack's favorite activities are: biting your arms (not hard but damn, puppy teeth are sharp!), chasing the cat, eating out of the cat's litter box, , tug o war, destroying stuffed animals, chewing on sticks, retrieving anything and everything
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he meant Tennessee.

First Cousin marriages are legal in Tennessee
First Cousin marriages are illegal in Arkansas

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top