Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 7:43:35 AM EDT
I already have a nice 52" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV, but need a flat panel for a different room.  My requirements:

1 - Must be LCD or Plasma (will not be wall mounted, though)
2 - Must be between 32" and 42" - larger is better
3 - Must be 16:9
4 - Must have a good contrast ratio (no less than 1000:1) and brightness
5 - Must be capable of at least 720p/1080i, but I won't cry if it's 1080p capable
6 - Must have at least one HDMI connection, preferable more
7 - Preferably under $1000, but not to exceed $1200

I was impressed with the Vizio brand LCD TV (32") at Sam's Club...  but the 42" LCD @ 800:1 cr didn't meet my contrast ratio minimum spec's, though the 32" one did (1200:1).

Does anyone have any specific recommendations or links to recommended models that meet my specs?  Perhaps a link to a good forum for posting these types of questions?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you interested in Rear Projection LCD? If so, check out the Hitachi 62" LCD/Rear.

I just got one from HH Gregg for $1200, 2 HDMI connections, plenty of RCA jacks, Optical in for digital sound, 3 "S" video hook-ups. 5 inputs for DVD and video game consoles, weighs in at 104 pounds, very easy to use.

Playing the Xbox 360 in 1080i on it is just jawdropping and HBO HD is awesome.

I looked at the Vizio as well and what sold me on the Hitachi was that a buddy of mine has a 12 year old 50" Hitachi that he has moved 3 times and it still has a excellent picture on it. He also has a 65" rear projection that is nice too.

I'm entertaining the ideal of the Vizio in the future for the living room. I have not heard a bad thing about it.

Here is the link to the LCD that I just got.

Hitachi 62" rear LCD TV
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you interested in Rear Projection LCD? If so, check out the Hitachi 62" LCD/Rear.

I just got one from HH Gregg for $1200, 2 HDMI connections, plenty of RCA jacks, Optical in for digital sound, 3 "S" video hook-ups. 5 inputs for DVD and video game consoles, weighs in at 104 pounds, very easy to use.

Playing the Xbox 360 in 1080i on it is just jawdropping and HBO HD is awesome.

I looked at the Vizio as well and what sold me on the Hitachi was that a buddy of mine has a 12 year old 50" Hitachi that he has moved 3 times and it still has a excellent picture on it. He also has a 65" rear projection that is nice too.

I'm entertaining the ideal of the Vizio in the future for the living room. I have not heard a bad thing about it.

Here is the link to the LCD that I just got.

Hitachi 62" rear LCD TV

It really needs to be no larger than 42".  I had a 61" TV that I sold off to get the 52".  Since this one will be going into the master bedroom, it doesn't need to be a huge TV, and I want a flat panel so it can be up against the wall as much as possible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a samsung LNS3251D in my bedroom.  On the smaller end of your size scale but seems to meet all of your other requirements.  

Link to Cnet Review:  reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_LN_S3251D/4505-6482_7-31787622.html?tag=pop
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you aren't wall mounting it, have you considered one of the Samsung slim fit DLPs?  They are pretty narrow and you will get a bigger display in your price range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top