Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 2:50:18 PM EDT
I went to the dentist for a cleaning today...

They had to give me novacaine!

<-------WIMP!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I went yesterday...and I WISHED I had novacaine.

Have room on that wimp bench there?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]

The last couple of fillings I got, I had him skip the novacaine altogether.

Yeah, it hurt, but when it was done, it was done.  No numb-faced drooling for the next hour.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, you are.
J/K I detest the dentist.  4 years of braces will do that to you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to disagree about the wimp statement....I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago about a man, his daughter and a horse.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't feel bad I'm going for a root canal Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a dentist appointment in two weeks and I'm already getting scared hehe
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I must be a real odd ball.  I love getting my teeth cleaned.  I go every 6 months for a check up and cleaning!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
4 years of braces here, too. Headgear, rubber bands, etc. Orthodontists were sadistic back in the 80's.

I have occasionally requested novacaine for cleaning. My hygenist is good and thourough, but a little harsh.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
4 years of braces here, too. Headgear, rubber bands, etc. Orthodontists were sadistic back in the 80's.

I have occasionally requested novacaine for cleaning. My hygenist is good and thourough, but a little harsh.

I only had 2 years...but the bastards WERE sadistic in the 80's.

Hey, mom of 6...you had another thread about braces not that long ago...that ya needed them again..have you looked into that invisalign thing they've been advertising. Looks alot less, er, painful.
<---fitting emoticon, no?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

<-------WIMP!

So when they gave you the novacaine was it in a needle or a spray?  I would have to think that getting a needle in the mouth would be worse than dealing with a cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I must be a real odd ball.  I love getting my teeth cleaned.  I go every 6 months for a check up and cleaning!

I have to join the oddball crowd, I love getting my teeth cleaned. I am usually in and out within 40 minutes or so.
Now tell me you need to fill a cavity or stick a needle in there, that's when I start getting nervous!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only had 2 years...but the bastards WERE sadistic in the 80's.

Hey, mom of 6...you had another thread about braces not that long ago...that ya needed them again..have you looked into that invisalign thing they've been advertising. Looks alot less, er, painful.
<---fitting emoticon, no?

Hey PM, I AM getting the Invisalign! I just couldn't do braces again. It will take a bit longer, but oh well...NO BRACKETS!

Oh...and Orthodontists are STILL sadistic...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I went yesterday...and I WISHED I had novacaine.

Have room on that wimp bench there?

<sliding over to make room for PM>

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Don't feel bad I'm going for a root canal Tuesday.

Sorry to hear that! I've had 1 root canal, and I don't know that I could do it again.

Quoted:
I have a dentist appointment in two weeks and I'm already getting scared hehe

There is still room on the wimp bench...scoot over PM!

Quoted:
Yeah, you are.

Quoted:

So when they gave you the novacaine was it in a needle or a spray?  I would have to think that getting a needle in the mouth would be worse than dealing with a cleaning.

Needle.

The Hygenist said that next time, they would sedate me first...I think thats for their benefit!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya big wuss.   j/k It never occurred to me to ask!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Those chairs are so comfortable.

One time they seated me in the examination room, and when the dentist came in, he actually had to wake me up.  Zzzzzz...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I didn't realize they'd give you novocaine for a teeth cleaning.  It doesn't hurt.  Dawn, I hate to say it, but you're a wimp.

The woman gave birth 6 TIMES.
She's not a wimp.
Dentists are mean.
That is all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I was thinking about asking for novacaine the next time I go.  When they clean the inside of my bottom, front teeth, the nerve pain sends me through the roof.  Up until now, I just took the pain, but it is at a point where I start thinking about canceling my appointment.

I brush, floss, and water pick my teeth to death just so they don't have much to clean.  I have been blessed with excellent teeth, it's just the cleaning I could do without.

see? ------>

or is it?------->
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The woman gave birth 6 TIMES.
She's not a wimp.
Dentists are mean.
That is all.

+1,000,000,000

you?  a wimp?  bah.  I think not.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The last couple of fillings I got, I had him skip the novacaine altogether.

Yeah, it hurt, but when it was done, it was done.  No numb-faced drooling for the next hour.

I like the drooling part...people don't ask too much of you if they feel retention of bodily fluid is a challenge
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I didn't realize they'd give you novocaine for a teeth cleaning.  It doesn't hurt.  Dawn, I hate to say it, but you're a wimp.

It did TOO hurt!! I did the butt walk all the way up that chair!!

I'm SURE they would have preferred to sedate me...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<-------WIMP!

All I can say is if they had to give you Novocain for a standard cleaning, there going to have to knock you out if you every need a deep root cleaning.

Note: Don't know if you have children yet, but if not, don't, since you will never make it through child birth (Read with all the extra screaming you will be doing, your going to really confuse your husband and he won't know if he should comfort you, of just put you down/out of your misery.

4xys2xxs = 4 boys, 2 girls. ;)

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I have to have Nitrous just to sit in the waiting room. The girls there know by now....as soon as they see me come in the door it's right back to a chair and on with the gas.

I'm white knuckled the entire time.

HATE the dentist.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

<-------WIMP!

You got to be kidding............... you are kidding  right?

Tell me that you are not serious about the novacaine
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<-------WIMP!

When I wrote this thread...I deleted AT THE LAST MINUTE...Please don't tell DPMMN!

He has had a ROOT CANAL without novacaine.

I suck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<-------WIMP!

When I wrote this thread...I deleted AT THE LAST MINUTE...Please don't tell DPMMN!

I suck.

I had 2 teeth pulled without gas or novacaine
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<-------WIMP!

I suck.

sigh.

And I did a butt walk with a cleaning.

You aren't welcome on the "wimp bench"

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess it depends on the dentist.  A cleaning at the one I've gone to for about 30 years is very painful.  I've had three teeth pulled without anesthesia, and I'd rather go through that again rather than another cleaning.  I can't imagine someone would say that a trip to the dentist isn't painful.  How can having someone jam a sharp object into your gums over and over again not be painful?z
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:47:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

To be honest, I had ONE done the hard way...I was 7 and DEATHLY afraid of needles.

I've since gotten over that fear...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have to disagree about the wimp statement....I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago about a man, his daughter and a horse.....

ya couldn't let that fade away...could you!

Never!! That was too hilarious to let go
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have to have Nitrous just to sit in the waiting room. The girls there know by now....as soon as they see me come in the door it's right back to a chair and on with the gas.

HATE the dentist.

ME TOO!  I want to be knocked out completely, forget about novacaine.
I want valium, nitrous oxide, and novacaine.  

Scared to death of the dentist.  I'd rather have anything done than dental work.  I can take needles..I even watch when I'm getting them.  Kinda think it's cool.  I give blood, no problem.

But my teeth?  Stay away.

I need valium just to post in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HATE the dentist.

ME TOO!  I want to be knocked out completely, forget about novacaine.
I want valium, nitrous oxide, and novacaine.  

Scared to death of the dentist.  I'd rather have anything done than dental work.  I can take needles..I even watch when I'm getting them.  Kinda think it's cool.  I give blood, no problem.

But my teeth?  Stay away.

*nods*
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Demerol and Morphine....best sh*t on the planet...next to Vodka, of course!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I GET that!

I had Vicodin for my last few visits, I guess they thought I could handle a cleaning without meds...I don't think they'll make that mistake again.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:34:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I wholely agree with you guys, unfortunatley I'm in misery right now with a tweaked shoulder.  I even suprised my g/f when I voluntarily said that I would go to the Dr.  Right now, I'm on a couple of meds (hydrocodene, naproxen, and some anti inflamitory), but it's only taking the edge off.  If you want to see me jump 20 ft into the air though, just break out a needle, even the small ones, I'll freak out at.

I am a wuss.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Those chairs are so comfortable.

One time they seated me in the examination room, and when the dentist came in, he actually had to wake me up.  Zzzzzz...

The dentist usually catches me examining his dental equipment.  If I were in medicine, I'd be a dentist.  They have the coolest toys.  Things that whirrr, things that purrrrr, things that put pictures of your mouth's innards onto a computer monitor... whew.... that's just fun.  Not sure how I would react to bits of people's teeth flying in my face though.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Count me in on Dawn's wimp bench.

I've always hated dentists, and I've always hated my teeth. They break easily, and one dentist referred to them as birthday cake because they're so soft.

I'd like to check into a hospital, get knocked out, and wake up with those fake implanted teeth already installed. I'd be happy with dentures too, just to be rid of all my real teeth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top