Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 5:21:14 PM EDT
I am not normally super sentimental or gushy, but this evening I read a few topics in here and in the GD and couldn't help but cry over the state of things in the world.  First, I read the thread about the two Italiam women whom I am terrified will be murdered and then I read a thread about a dog that was perhaps purposely run over by a lawnmower and left to bleed to death.  I don't know about you all, but I just a sick over these things and it seems as though everyday there is more and more bleakness surrounding us. I know that the majority of people are not like those that I have described, but lately it seems like "they" are winning and those in the world that are good and kind just can't get a break.  I also am fully aware that these are extreme examples of human behavior, but it seems as though that is all we are hearing about lately.  Anyone else feel this way or am I just overly sensitive?

ML
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I like to tell myself that "they" are not taking over. It is just that "they" get more attention for their behaviour because usually kind deeds go unnoticed.
However, I readily admit I live in a bubble.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually live in a bubble too (and quite enjoy it), but apparently my bubble burst this evening.  Trying to stay "informed" has just turned into "look how bad the world really is."  Ignorance truly is bliss.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel the same way.  I hope it's just because the elections are coming up and because fall is coming (well, technically here).
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It's one of the reasons I have not been in GD as much. Unfortunately the BAD has been getting the most press and God forbid the news even remotely tells the actual truth about what is really going on in Iraq. There really is alot of good going on over there. It is a very volatile place,but every once in awhile you do hear the good. I have another site I go to that is ex-military,current military,contract workers,and spec forces. It is where I go for my sanity,and my dose of reality. I don't know what to tell you ladies since sometimes I don't even understand.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It is easy to let it overwhelm you if you ain't careful . There is though alot of normal that goes on but people usually lean toward posting the bizarre it will usually generate a response sooner.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Just remember: without hope all is lost.

We still have hope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just remember: without hope all is lost.

We still have hope.

Thanks...I needed to be reminded of that.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Marian,

Man, have I asked myself this same thing many times in the past... I have served in uniform for our country since 79 in the military or law enforcement -- I have seen perhaps the lowest that man can get, or hope that there is not much worse out there.

I have, on the other hand, seen greatness and humanity that far overwhelms any of the stupid evil that makes the headlines seemingly everyday -- remember, you will never see a reporter stand in front of a building and say "Today, this building did not burn down...".

We tell the young guys that no one will ever call and tell us that their daughter got a straight "A" report card and that they were celebrating with pizza and icecream... and just wanted to see if we wanted to come over.

Know this though please, these horrible acts that you see and read are the exception... no matter how hard that is at times to believe -- for each calous act by a monster like that idiot with the lawnmower, there are many, many more stories of people living up to our title of human. This is in no way an excuse for his actions, or the actions of others of his ilk and there are many out there like me that work hard to extend a hand to those who are victim (people and animal!) and to bring those who do them harm to task.

Your being disheartened, and the words of support of others left here, are indication that we are still okay... God Bless you and all those like you, those who it is a great pleasure to serve and protect.

Gunz
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Marian,

Man, have I asked myself this same thing many times in the past... I have served in uniform for our country since 79 in the military or law enforcement -- I have seen perhaps the lowest that man can get, or hope that there is not much worse out there.

I have, on the other hand, seen greatness and humanity that far overwhelms any of the stupid evil that makes the headlines seemingly everyday -- remember, you will never see a reporter stand in front of a building and say "Today, this building did not burn down...".

We tell the young guys that no one will ever call and tell us that their daughter got a straight "A" report card and that they were celebrating with pizza and icecream... and just wanted to see if we wanted to come over.

Know this though please, these horrible acts that you see and read are the exception... no matter how hard that is at times to believe -- for each calous act by a monster like that idiot with the lawnmower, there are many, many more stories of people living up to our title of human. This is in no way an excuse for his actions, or the actions of others of his ilk and there are many out there like me that work hard to extend a hand to those who are victim (people and animal!) and to bring those who do them harm to task.

Your being disheartened, and the words of support of others left here, are indication that we are still okay... God Bless you and all those like you, those who it is a great pleasure to serve and protect.

Gunz

Thank you so much for crying spell number 2 for the evening.  You are absolutely right when you say that no one will ever report the wonderful things that do happen...I will just need to look harder for those things in the future.  Thank you so much for serving us and protecting us from those that do those awful things.  I know that we are truly the lucky ones in the world, I just hate to be reminded that in order to understand true happiness and joy we must also be able to understand sadness.  I have no room to complain given that there are those like you who have witnessed these horrible things first hand and I am humbled and grateful for your service.
ML
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Gunz, thanks for your kind words. Sometimes though, I feel my kind words, my prayers all are in vain. The destruction that continues tears me up inside.
This week has been emotionally hard, for whatever reason, I don't even know for sure. Todays events in Indianapolis, the Italian women, I just want to crawl back in my tiny little bubble and pretend all is well. But truthfully, where would that get me? Would get me a day without tears, but not much else.  
Marian, you are not overly sensitive, I honestly think if we didn't react one way or another we wouldn't be right. Some people react with anger, some with tears. We just happen to be the ones with tears.
When it really gets to me to much, I turn it all off, get on the floor and play with lilGH, he can make you forget everything in a matter of minutes. He sure helped today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am sorry you are feeling down tonight, MarianLibrarian.  It is easy to feel this way when all we seem to hear is bad news.  It makes it difficult to remember al the good that takes place in the world.  

It was explained to me years ago like this: News is to report things out of the ordinary.  When it gets to the point that all you hear on the news are good things because they are 'out of the ordinary' that is when the world is in a sad state.  I have to remind myself of this from time to time.  I hope it helps you as well.  If you notice in the GD that bad news receives a lot more attention then does a post about something good.  If you need a reminder of the good left in the world, read in the team forum the offers of help to some of the hurricane victims.  There are some good guys here that remind me that good still exists in this world.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys really have made me feel better already!  I was praying for those that have been kidnapped and then I read the post about the dog and felt totally helpless.  I really need to put things into perspective and reading arfcom is generally not a good place to do that!  Thanks again guys...I am so glad that I can count on you all to help me see the good things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top