Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 11:03:00 AM EDT
I bought my computer two years ago, an Essential 866 Pentium III, and had nothing but problems. First off,the hard drive crashed and had to re-install windows ME! [pissed]I think this has screwed the whole system. The monitor has now started to go, getting all kinds of wavy lines. I tried to upgrade my 3D accelerator and sound cards and the new ones will not fit into my computer case (PCI cards for PCI slots)They are way to big. I am getting a refund for those. Also I bought the game Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and for the life of me I cannot download the 8.0a drivers I need from the CD and not even from microsoft.com. Both keep on crashing! I am never going to get a dam gateway again. I am livid. I need a new computer, the question is WHICH on do I get for around a grand???? Thanks Jay
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s why we build PC's from quality components these days [:D]

A lot cheaper too, btw: how could your OS just crash?
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
[url=www.emachines.com]Computers you don't have to thnk about.[/url]
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not know why it crashed. There was something wrong with the hard drive. Customer service had to walk me threw the whole process of reinstalling it.

I need a NEW Computer on advice?
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Jay29,

I by no means am a computer expert(far from it), but I had some problems last week with my laptop that I purchased in December.  I called them and they determined that my trouble was in the computer processor.  They sent me a box out the very next day via Airborne Express(last Wednesday).  My computer came back this Monday.  I was surprised with this last weekend being Good Friday and Easter weekend.  Have you tried asking for a complete replacement, or at least a new one at a discounted price?  Surely they will work with you in some capacity.

Scooter
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
your problem probably has more to do with ME than the computer itself.  If you have a decnt knowledge of mechanics you can easily build one yourself.

Goto [url]www.pcmech.com[/url] and start studing.  For less than $500 you can easily build a kick ass computer, for $100 you can probably fix yours.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Jay...ya got a grand? build your own.....not sarcasm......you can buy better stuff than what the reseller put in theirs...
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Hound,

Good Idea, I have NO CLUE on how to build my own computer at all or were to get all the parts. I would try it if I had some guide somewhere
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey Hound,

Good Idea, I have NO CLUE on how to build my own computer at all or were to get all the parts. I would try it if I had some guide somewhere
View Quote

Again, here is your guide [url]www.pcmech.com[/url].  They have How-to, links and even a discussion board if you run into any problems!

And remember, we are still here.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I was just on PCmech very interesting
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Jay29 I can't tell you how astoundingly simple it is to build your own.  With that guide you wouldn't have any problems and those of us on here who have done it are more than willing to help you out w/any question you might have.

I'd say go for it.  When you are done you'll know your machine inside out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just wait until the power supply goes out. Proprietary design. Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
yo jay we got ya back.....I built my first and I built my last....it aint hard....and it is nice to have what you want....look around and decide what you want and then we will all jump in
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Circuit City in Harrisonburg. I got a eMachines T1400 for $550 (after rebate). IT has an AMD Athlon XP processor (1600+), 16X CD-RW, 256 Megs of RAM, 40 Gig HD, 3-D AGP Graphics, 56k modem, and three USB ports (one front mounted). It came with AOL 7.0 and Windoze XP installed and ready to go. I upgraded from a 486/66 Accel my cousin lent me until I got my bonus so I could buy a real one. I recommend eMachines highly (so far) :-D

Scott

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Sory to hear about your Gayway. I have the same problem with my Gayway Laptop...4 floppy drives, two DVD rom drives and one Hard drive to date n a two year old system. Gayteway, D(h)ell et al use the cheapest components they can get in bulk that week from "Fong's house of processors" even in their "premium" systems. Screw that. Your best bet for your grand is to pick and choose your own components and build it yourself...you'll get a shitload more bang for your buck that way. I'm running an Athlon XP1900 with 1056Mb of RAM, GeForce3 Ti500 vid card, 80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA HD, 48X CD burner, DVD, etc...and I built it for LESS than a grand.
Good Luck!
Pit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top